Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Kathy, I think using stash, even if you do not completely deplete it is a valid goal. You won't wear out your pens, but they won't sit in the closet drying out either.

Review of last year:

-- clear up the clutter on the floor: did not get very far, may have made it worse

-- start assembly on the pinwheels: assembled, not quilted
-- quilt it

-- quilt the old christmas quilt: quilted, binding in process

-- dragon quilt: not touched

-- make a couple baby/kid size donation tops for the guild: did that

-- continue working on blue twin size donation quilt: done and gone

-- other small projects in between: did a few of those

2021 Goals:

-- continue clearing stash on the floor

-- make a backing and quilt the pinwheels

-- plan out the dragon quilt (I'm enlarging it from twin/double to queen size) and start it

-- niece's baby quilt

-- continue with guild projects

-- make something other than quilts (casserole carrier, new purses, etc)

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
DC, I think the bugs border would look good in green. Maybe a mottled green. Your rain showed up last night as sleet and it is currently snowing. Good thing I have no plans.

SD, there are a number of places in the world where people have very strong opinions about face coverings, not just the US. I don't see them being worn continuously after the majority of the population here gets vaccinated, but I see your point about flu season. I have noticed they are more popular now that it is cold, since they keep your face warm.

Knotme, the new afghan project sounds pretty. I've always liked the look of variegated. What kind of quilts are you thinking of?

Anna, your feed sack retro project sounds interesting. Please share more.

I don't have plans for the new year, like SD says, I think the virus will keep us home for quite a while. I'm hoping by fall we are free to travel and gather in large groups. Meanwhile I have a lot of fabric and craft supplies on hand. My SIL complimented me on my quilts, and they have asked me before how much it would cost to make one. So now I am thinking of finishing the Cross in Crown as a gift. It may not get quilted this year, but I could work on getting it assembled.

Today's plan is getting the binding folded over and pinned in preparation for hand sewing.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Knotme, I agree, she has some great quilts, but some seem a little too random. But when you make as many as she does, you can afford to have a few duds. I did one of her ideas last year, and took a look at the mystery quilt but it was too many triangles for me. The current one was looking better until I saw the tiny triangles. As the old meme goes "ain't nobody got time for that". Have fun cutting scraps and planning. I've got a growing pile, but not sure what I want to do with them yet.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I hand sewed most of one side of the quilt binding today, and pinned the next edge. Giving it a rest for now, my fingers will be tender tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
SD, your project is looking good.

DC, the postal service is off the rails right now and it doesn't help that mail order shopping is huge this season. I mailed a package a week ago Friday and it hasn't left town yet. And I paid for Priority. Ha, some joke that is. My fabric order from a few days ago hasn't been processed yet, but that's not the PO's fault. I do wonder how long it will take to get here from the next county over. I'm sure the holiday weekend has everyone backed up on Monday.

I completely forgot to sew anything today. I was going to work on the quilt, made myself a cup of tea, and got into a long afternoon online chat with friends... and there went the day. Oh well, my hand got a rest.

M, that sock knitter was cool. I'm sure it was a great time saver in its day, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about making socks.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
SD, I had the same results with frozen eggs. The yolk dried a bit, but could be whisked with a TB of added water for scrambled eggs or baking uses. I had one or two crack when frozen and become useless. Like you, I'd scramble them if I did it again.

They are still trying to get enough vaccines out to nurses and the elderly, and members of government here. I doubt I will be offered one next month when I see my RA doctor at the immunology center, but I'll take it if they do. Another one of DH's co-workers announced today that they had COVID. I'm really glad he is working from home.

The snack party is over here, as well. DH told me not to buy chips for him any more, so I stopped. I only got 1 bag so we could have the occasional handful with sandwiches or as an evening snack. He eats the entire bag himself. He had a bag of chips, 2 tubs of dip and a box of crackers over the weekend. I'm done buying food I don't get to enjoy. I need to get back to eating real food anyway. Looking forward to spring and more fresh salads in our menu rotation.

Still working on the quilt binding. Fingers were sore yesterday so I didn't get far. A callus, or blister, is forming. If I can't sew by hand today I will start chopping up squares for another baby quilt. It's supposed to warm and get sunny this afternoon, I'm hoping that will melt the snow off my car and I don't have to take time out to scrape.

Trying to decide if it is worth a stop at JA or Michael's tomorrow before PT. Wasn't anything I was hoping to get on clearance before the holiday, but JA might have remnants again and Michael's or BB&B might have candles left.

Happy stitching everyone.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Dlr, your cardinal came out well. I haven't found a metallic thread I like either.

DC, I thought what you showed in both pictures looked nice, but if it doesn't please you I guess that's what matters.

Still working on the quilt binding. Fingers getting a rest today. I did some of the cardinal yesterday, too. Want to finish the tail feathers, then that will be the end of the red until the outer border.

Going to be out most of the day. Hope your projects go smoothly.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
We're supposed to have rain tomorrow too, and maybe some snow. I have a dentist appt in the afternoon. Whee. Fortunately I got most of my errands done today.

JA was somewhat busy. I ate lunch in the parking lot and watched people go in, and come out shortly after with nothing. I scored 2 remnants, a grey swirl print and a brown texture print. Boring background fabrics. Remnants were 75% off so I paid 1.23 and 1.58 for the pieces. They did not have much christmas stuff left and mostly people were not buying it. At 70% off it was a good deal, but I resisted.

My mail order fabrics came. One is strips in coordinating dark red, browns, and black prints. The bundle of random FQs is nice, what I would call a "summer" palette. A lot of "hand dyed" or batik looking prints, one in light green, a medium green, and two dark greens. Two light tan tone on tone prints, one white on white print. A very vivid blue and a light blue, both in that watery batik style. Two mottled prints, one light orange one a purplish blue. And there is one warm yellowy-olive solid green. No bling, no prints that make someone say wow, but all good quality and very useful.

The package I mailed on the 28th has finally moved from my local PO to the regional sorting depot downtown. :(

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Sounds like everyone is keeping busy. I had a chance to go by JA again today and it was nearly empty. No one at cutting table, but I did snag 3/4 yd remnant in a grey print. Valentine's and easter going up on shelves, some of the christmas stuff I saw yesterday was gone, the entire aisle removed so they must be packing it away somewhere.

M, I saw some of those caron cakes you like, they were 3.99 and so many colors! I almost bought one, but LOL, I can't knit or crochet. They did tempt me to try and learn again.

Embroidery floss area looked like it had not been restocked in weeks or months. Lots of empty bins.

Glad you were home today, too Kathy.

I hope tomorrow is a calmer day.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Nice work! Yarn is, sadly, a skill I never mastered.

I did some cardinal this morning and am chugging along at the quilt binding. I took a break for lunch, and a break for tea, and now a break to share photos.

These are pics of recent fabric acquisitions. First, the 3 remnants from this week next to the cute panda print. I think both greys match well. Grey seems to be the new white. I think for kids quilts it works well, because they are always on the floor and are going to end up that color anyways.

Green Gas Publication Composite material Pattern

Strip set next to the brown remnant, I think these work together.

World Wood Art Font Pattern

The random bundle of FQs

Rectangle Pattern Creative arts Art Electric blue

Lots of nice colors to work with:

Hand Green Rectangle Textile Sleeve

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
SD, the cabin looks great. Agree that it will go nicely with your other outdoorsy pieces. Glad to see everyone making progress on their projects. It has been a stressful week all around, I think.

Nice to see the sun this morning, don't know how long it will last, but it's a good start to the day.

Yesterday I sewed one more RWB block for the guild, felt good to get the machine running and sew pieces together mindlessly (more or less). Going to do another today, and check the bag for any more kits, not sure how many they gave me back in Oct or Nov. I want to go down to the meeting on Monday and deliver the stuff I have finished.

Found the kitty blocks in the bag of stuff I have, so I will mess around with those. Still trying to decide if I should use setting strips between the blocks or not. It's a very scrappy quilt and a neutral divider would look better, but it is also a full afternoon's work.

Binding continues. I am on the 4th edge.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I think we will take the decorations down this weekend, too. I already put MIL's fake poinsettias back in the garage. It's time to pack up the tree.

Kathy, your mini loom is cute. Is that how you fixed your socks?

I measured the cat blocks, found them to be 10" which would make a ~40x40" lap quilt. That would use slightly over 1 yard of 42" fabric for backing so I decided to sew them without setting strips. Adding strips would add 3-6" of width, requiring more yardage to be pieced for the backing. I sewed these randomly, trying to keep similar colors spaced apart.

Brown Product Rectangle Azure Blue

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I guess yarn is like fabric, if you like it better get enough to finish your project 'cause it will be gone if you need more. I got lucky ~10 years ago doing the backing for my other christmas quilt. Spaced out and did not buy enough of the print I needed, and when I went looking a year later they had some left over!

I'm ~30" from finishing the binding on my quilt. I think niece's baby quilt is next, I need to cut some 6" squares and assemble the whole thing. And then find a backing. I have one more quilt guild project in the bag, something to do with strips. I think I will look at the instructions and see how it goes together. I need to change thread and wind bobbins before doing anything.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I stayed busy today. The quilt binding is finished, it has been photographed, and is on the bed.

Worked on the baby quilt. Had smaller amounts of fabric than I thought, but made it work. Have about half the quilt assembled. Dug around in the stash and came up with a 2yd piece of calico with tiny pink and blue flowers. It reads as a soft pink. I didn't want to cut up a 2 yd piece for a 36" quilt, but it's all I've got. I'll use the other yard for a different quilt.

Bought some cute dog themed fabric strips earlier this fall, auditioned some of the stash to go with them. They are a mix of light grey, pale blue, black, and red, with some light green accents. I've got some matching blue and grey, thinking of cutting blocks of solid fabrics and using the strips in between. Or something. Still in planning stages.

Found my hand pieced batik project. Thinking of picking that up in place of the cardinal. I need a new wall quilt.

Knotme, I saw the quilt reveal and thought it was overly busy and muddy looking. Too many seams, not enough contrast in the individual elements. I think if you used solid rectangles instead of the stringy pieces from part 6, and used a solid square instead of the tiny 9-patch in the other blocks it would have more definition. (and be less work)

My guild is doing a Pat Speth mystery quilt. I do not know which one, I have to go to the guild meeting on Monday to find out. If I can get the instructions I will see if it is worth trying. Most of her quilts, that I can find pictures of, seem traditional.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Good for you, M, getting the car filled up with stuff to donate. I still have a box I should have taken out a week ago.

DC, glad you're getting the vaccine. A friend of mine just got hers, she is a nurse. I read this morning that 40% or more of eligible people are refusing it because they are afraid of side effects. It's especially bad in the south. Vaccines are just sitting in hospitals. Argh!

I hope the ice isn't bad for you. Monday it is supposed to get into the 50's here, and I imagine much warmer where you are.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Ren, your tea warmer sounds useful. Nice that it is candle powered. I have an old folding stove and sterno cans for emergencies. Our power goes out at random, for no reason (well, it's bad infrastructure) but it usually doesn't last long.

I've had a headache most of the day, but I finished the baby quilt top. Tomorrow I will figure out batting. Likely have to piece something.

Did more brown on the cardinal and called it quits. It's packed up for next winter. I am going to work on the mystic circles (or whatever it was called) next. Have about 20 segments to piece, then 4 of those make a block. It will look something like this:

Plant Purple Rectangle Triangle Textile

Supposed to warm up this week. I'm thinking about going some garden clean up. It will be time to plant lettuce in only 2 months.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Love the sweet little deer in the ornaments. Glad to hear your snow melted quickly, too.

M, the dog quilt is cute too. I have contemplated doing some of those patchwork animals, but not yet.

Almost forgot it was Monday and the quilt guild meeting. Drove down there and dropped off my stuff, picked up some more block kits and a scrappy quilt pack. Said hello to a few people I recognized under their masks, but most folks were not in a chatty mood. I did not want to hang around too long anyway. Asked about the mystery quilt, paid $5 so that it could be mailed to me each month, since I can't get to regular meetings.

Found some leftover batting at home, sewed two pieces together and after ironing the backing put the baby quilt sandwich together. Then spent time picking apart the scraps from my christmas quilt. Had long strips from trimming it after quilting. Batting can be used for small projects, like potholders. Fabric strips are just a little too narrow, 2.25" not 2.5" so I might keep it for binding, or not. Also sewed a couple of mystery circle patches, not keeping myself to a set number per day. Today I did not feel like doing many.

PT tomorrow, so probably no sewing. Have to make a special stop for tea while I am out.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Help. I got out the remaining 18 leaf blocks and want to make them into a quilt. Struggling with how to plan. Currently squaring them up and have about 10" squares. Probably will finish at about 9" square. Wondering how to set or mix them with other blocks to get to a twin-size quilt?
View attachment 51617
A twin size quilt of ~63x72 covers top and hangs over the sides. What you can do is orient the blocks on-point (like diamonds rather than squares) Add 2-3" of sashing between the blocks. Arrange the blocks in rows like this:

+ + +
. + +.
+ + +
. + +.
+ + +
. + +.
+ + +

You'll have big blank triangles around the outside. It should be pretty close to 50x66 and then you can add whatever border you want to drop over the sides of the mattress. I would use the cream as setting strips and the navy as a border.

Alternately, you could use the navy as a large center panel, and arrange the blocks around it as a border, spacing them as needed with the cream, then adding another border of solid fabric.

IMO a 9 patch would detract from the leaf appliques, but it could be a fun border. Or you could do flying geese in keeping with the fall theme. Or... here's an example which uses 4-patches with setting strips to add interest, this would help tie in a 9-patch border.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/85146249194584132/

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I do a lot of sketches these days. I found a small notebook and I write down ideas and measurements. So you could play with ideas for a few days and see what comes of it.

I had some time after PT today, and I was most of the way there so I went by JA. Had a hunch I might find something. There were several quilting remnants, and still 75% off. I passed on a nearly 1 yd chunk of grey, but found a rich dark blue texture, a sky blue solid, a bright green print, 1/4yd slice of disney princesses, and this christmas panel:

Dog Christmas ornament Fawn Carnivore Rectangle

I'm not sure what I will do with it, it will get put away for now. Maybe a seasonal lap quilt.

The store was nearly empty. Only saw one person getting fabric cut. Christmas stuff is 70% off and nearly gone. One more week, I think. Spring/easter is coming out and one of their major themes this year is bunnies, which I predict will be very popular.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Dlr, your foyer is so pretty! The quilt and pillows look beautiful on your bench. So welcoming. What a great spot for plants.

Kathy your stars look very cheerful.

The Susan Winget panel would make a nice wall hanging, but not on my walls. My display space is ~2ft wide and the panel is 36" at least. I think maybe the back of the couch... the part with the animals would show. I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Surprised to find it, panels almost never make it to the remnant bin unless they are miscut or damaged. I unrolled it in the store to make sure it was whole.

Not sure what's up today. May just fiddle with stuff. Got more star blocks and an ugly subway tile quilt kit from the guild. Not so ugly this time, looks like someone tried coordinating colors. I heard that one of the elderly members passed away and her family donated her stash so there are better choices to work with. They are optimistically planning a show for October.

Hope everyone has a good day.

1 - 20 of 507 Posts