Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
SD - the project looks really nice!

Did a lot of work on one of my friend's afgans this past week. I think I only need another skein or two of each color to finish. Then again, I'm using a larger hook so that helped get it done. I do have the other one for my friend that I need to finish for my friend but this first one is for her son. Looks like I definitely over ordered on the yarn but the colors are really nice. I can use them to make a lapgan later.

I finally donated one of the lapgans I made using stash yarn. I have a few already finished but they needed to be washed before donation. I found out that one of the senior living centers (a small group home) will take them. I think I'll also donate some to the rehab center my mom used after she had her knees replaced.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I had hoped to have one of my friend's afgan ready to mail out to her by this weekend, but it's not done. It's not a rush, though. It's nearly done and I'll probably have it ready to ship next weekend. Then I'll work on the second one I'm making for her.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Another lapgan ready to donate. This was one made with a 'normal' acrylic yarn but it came out really soft after washing it. I don't know if that was due to the detergent I used or because there's remnants of fabric softener in the machines since it's a laundromat for the complex. Either way, I'm happy it did come out soft. I'm not sure if I'm going to donate it to the same place I gave the last one to or a different one. I do like the rehab center my Mom used after she got her knees replaced but that's not the closest place. Apparently there are a couple of new ones across the street from the hospital now.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Martha - thankfully, this was a stash-buster project so I had enough to finish it. I think you're right - even when getting the same color/brand of yarn, they still can look different if bought after a good deal of time. Some of the cheaper acrylic yarn was often rough and scratchy so I do hope that's improved.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yay. I'll get the first of my friend's afgans out to her next Saturday. It went pretty quickly since I spent most of the week between Christmas and New Years on it. Now I can focus on the second of my friend's afgans. This one will probably take longer, although it won't be that bad with the larger hook.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
dc - hope your power doesn't go out. A couple of years ago, the power went out in my area for the better part of a day. So, I picked up a ceramic candle powered tea warmer so I could have something warm to drink in case the power went out again. Ended up not needing it. However, I recently tried it to see if it really could warm a tea pot just using a small candle. Granted, it generally uses an actual tea candle but I used a slightly larger one. It did warm the pot and water, just using that small candle, and I started with cold water (although I didn't make tea since it was just an experiment). So that ended up being a useful investment since it's something that can be kept (as well as the candles).

Been working on the second of my friend's afgans. I'm almost through the second skeins (this is another "2-ply" afgans where I'm using two colors at the same time). I had started this one in mid-December because I was able to pick up a portion of the yarn needed. But I put it aside after the first skeins since the yarn for the other afgan came in, which had all the yarn I needed to complete that WIP. (The one I just finished is for my friend's son.) Now that I have all the yarn I need for this one, I can finish it.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I haven't bothered signing up on the state vaccine website, mostly because it seems to be regularly overwhelmed with the number of people trying to log on, which then crashes the system.

Sent out one of my friend's afgans this morning. I'm working on the second one.

I also donated two more lapgans to the local hospital. Just dropped it off at the COVID check in 'desk', just inside the front door. Then again, I didn't plan to go much further than that anyway, so that was fine by me. I do need to work on more so I can continue to donate them. I do have quite a few skeins left over from the afgan I just finished for my friend. I'm pretty sure I enough to make at least one more lapgan from them. I should have a similar amount from the one I'm working on now. If so, I'll be able to make another from those.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The second afgan I'm making for my friend is coming along rather quickly, although sometimes I feel lazy. It's nearly to the floor now, though. So it pulls a bit under its own weight. That should be less of a problem once it's long enough to reach the floor. It's not a color I would choose for myself but I am liking how it's coming out. It's another '2-ply' afgan, where I'm using two skeins of yarn at the same time while I'm crocheting. I think the colors I chose are the closest I've used so it looks like one solid color, rather than the more subtle 'tweed'-like coloring I've done in the past. It may look different under natural sunlight though.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The new forum format was a bit of a surprise since I guess I missed any mention of an update. Totally forgot my original password but that was an easy fix.

Anyway, my friend received the first afgan in the mail earlier in the week. Yay!! Been working on the second one for her. The second one is about halfway done and now reaches the floor. So it's no longer tugging itself out of my hands while I work.

I also had to mend a couple of afgans I made for myself (the wool ones). I guess there were a few weak spots in the yarn. I'm glad I kept the leftover yarns. I also picked up some moth repellant herb 'pillows', just in case.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Washed the last of the lapgans I plan to donate so it's ready to go out the door. I just need to figure out where I'm going to donate it. Dropping it off at the hospital is relatively easy, although I think I will add a note to have to donated to the senior ward. Or at least one of the adult wards as I'm sure most lapgans (or small blankets) tend to get donated to the nursery or children's wards.

I'm about halfway through my friend's second afgan. That's been going pretty fast due to the large sized needle. I do have a stash-buster lapgan started so I can work on that once my friend's afgan is done. I guess I just need to build up a stash of lapgans to donate again.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
dc - glad you got your vaccine. It's still crazy here, trying to get one, that I haven't bothered trying yet. Once more becomes available and things get better organized, I'll try then.

Still working on my friend's second afgan. It's at least halfway done, likely more. Thankfully, it's long enough to cover my legs since the next couple of days are supposed to get cold. Wind chills are supposed to be in the single digits. Then snow on Monday, with several inches. Since it's been so cold, it will likely accumulate quickly, rather than melting first. At least there won't be icing with this round.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
About 3/4 done on my friend's second afgan. I'm a little worried about getting it washed before sending it out because the large washers aren't working. I haven't called the leasing office to complain yet, although the maintenance office is right next door to the laundromat. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Spent most of the weekend working on my friend's afgan. Closer to 85-90% finished. I think it'll take two or maybe three more skeins of each color to finish. I'm going to have extra skeins left over when I'm done. I can make a lapgan out of them. If I do that, I don't know if I'll send them on to my friend (I have leftover skeins from the other afgan I made for her) or if I'll donate them someplace else.

It's snowing and the storm moved in earlier than expected. The forecast is now for 16-22 inches once the storm passes through. The snow began accumulating on the ground pretty much from the start since it's been so cold the past couple of days. Good thing is being able to work from home. On the other hand, my PT session for my knee was cancelled by the sports therapy center that I go to. Then again, I was planning on cancelling anyway. My knee's doing well since I've been going for a few months now.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Been snowing since around noon yesterday but at least it's not the heavy wet snow that could take out power lines or tree limbs that could fall on power lines. I haven't bothered trying to dig out my car yet since it looks like it's going to continue snowing until sometime tomorrow. Work is closed to all non-essential personnel but anyone able to work from home was/is required to do so. They're going to update again tomorrow morning to see if some non-essential personnel are allowed back into the buildings. I'm glad to have to worry about the roads.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Getting close to finishing my friend's second afgan. I think I will need just one more skein of each color. I'll check again once I get close to finishing the skein I just started last night. I'll probably have it done over the weekend. Definitely by next Friday (unless I procrastinate).

Once I finish this afgan, I'll probably continue with the vamp afgan since that's long enough to cover my legs. Next weekend is forecast to be get cold, particularly at night. But I also can do more lapgans that I can donate. Those go pretty quickly. The vamp afgan will take time.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yay! Just found out that one of the bigger capacity washing machines in my complex's laundromat has been fixed. (Somehow the clear part of the door broke so the whole door had to be replaced. The first part that came in didn't fit or wasn't put on properly so they had to replace it again.) So now I can make sure my friend's afgan gets washed before I send it out.

Speaking of the afgan, I'm pretty sure I'll be done by the end of this weekend. It looks like the newest skein will be enough finish it. (I'll check again when I get close to the end of the skein.) Once that's done, I think I'll work on the rag-bag lapgan I started before I started work on my friend's afgans. I'll keep the vamp afgan ("vamp" is the colorway of the yarn) for the colder nights since it covers my legs already. I don't have to rush on either of the WIPs.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
CH - not sure how it got broken either as it's not a rough neighborhood at all. Probably just a lot of use and maybe something just hit it wrong. Then again, the laundromat is for everyone in the complex that doesn't have a washing machine and dryer. That's probably about half the complex.

It looks like I might need one more skein than I thought I would earlier. Then again, I have more than enough and likely enough for a separate lapgan. I'm pretty sure I'll have it done so I can get washed and shipped to my friend next weekend.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
SD - I love the pups' antics!!

martha - those afgans are beautiful.

Almost finished with my friend's second afgan. Just need to finish off this last row. Then it just needs to be washed (I'll do that at the same time I do my regular laundry - yay multiple machines at the laundromat!) and then sent off. It's looking like the vampgan will be my next WIP since it's going to get cold this upcoming week. Eventually, I'll make more rag-bag lapgans with the leftover yarn from my friend's afgans. I don't have enough to make full sized afgans with what's left.

One of the local vendors at my local farmer's market had a clothing donation box and they seem to be accepting lapgans and scarves (as well as the usual clothes). The one good thing about the farmer's market is they regularly have/had a charity that picks up donations of food from the market for their food pantry. They also collect money which they then turn around and use to purchase more food from the vendors at the market. That way they have fresh food for the pantry and the farmers not only get to make a bit of extra money, they don't have to carry as much stuff home.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts