Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow - it feels great to be typing something besides 2020! This is where we theoretically focus on managing our various stashes, but it’s also a place where we share our projects. It’s become primarily a yarn/thread group, but we don’t limit ourselves to that and all leisure activities and their accompanying stashes are welcome. Join us as we see how our leisure projects unfold over 2021.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On one of my FB groups, someone posted her New Year’s stitching resolution to end 2021 with fewer supplies than she started with. Sounds like a good one to me. Of course that’s easy for me to say, having just supported the economy lavishly by laying in kits and new thread.

It feels good to have finished the ornaments and winter blackwork projects - photos are in the 2020 thread. I started Sharon’s tiles piece last night but didn’t get very far on it. I’ll work on that more tonight. I would like to get the first tile done, but don’t know if I can.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve thought about what I want to do this year, but not as actual goals.

For tops, to make it as near a no spend craft year as possible. I know I will inevitably get things but I need to rein it in. A guilt free exception, of course, is if I need something unexpected to finish a project. What needs to stop is stashing whole new projects - supplies, patterns, or kits -“ for future use. My future isn’t as long as it was years ago. This is hard to remember. Lol.

After a year of working intensively on HAEDs with no finishes to show for it, I want to do smaller projects this year and actually have some completions. What a radical idea! For a goal I could shoot for at least one project every month as a minimum.

Peppermint Purple creates a lot of new patterns and group enthusiasm increases the difficulty of resisting, so I will probably end up with a few of those. But absolutely no new cross stitch. New rule for that. Get nothing until I first go through everything I already have.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anna - good for you and your friend for making much needed masks. There are so many gorgeous quilt patterns I’m sure you can find one that will renew your enthusiasm. Stay with us and show us your progress.

Yesterday and until around 11:00 pm it rained. And rained. And rained. We got 3.6 inches. We’ve also had other rain recently and the ground is saturated. My swamp has reappeared. At present there’s no more in the forecast until next Wednesday.

I didn’t get much stitching done yesterday, but I’m about half finished with the first tile on the daffodil pattern. Maybe today I’ll be able to make more progress. The next section of the mandala SAL comes out on the 11th. I tend to forget that one, but I’ll probably do that as soon as it is released.

I was going to get a start on the bug sampler to work on off and on through the year, but may not. For one thing, I can’t decide if I want to do the framing pattern in black or a dark color, maybe navy or green. I’m pretty sure I’m going to do the insects with some color, but haven’t fully decided about that either. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SD - that’s a good idea. I should do it.

Kathy - I have a little 5 year journal I started back in the spring, and every day I note what I worked on.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Kathy - that’s some wild pink hair! Lol. The doll is going to be really cute.

I’m looking through all my blackwork patterns to see what I want to get underway. As you all know I’m a serial starter, but I like to have a lot of projects to choose from. The three obligatory are Sharon’s and the two SALs. Then probably the bugs, one of Peppermint Purple’s studies in color designs on 11 count with the new Caron Wildflowers floss, and I have the kitchen house coasters still to finish that will be quick little things to pick up now and then.

I think I will use green for the big border. I have a dark and darkish one on order. When they come in I can start that.

I finished the first tile for the daffodils. The next in line will be a lot quicker.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Back to the drawing board. I hated the Caron. It was just to coarse looking. I’ll save it for a project where it will work better. It took about ten stitches to figure that out so at least I haven’t wasted time. I’ll carry on with the next tile.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
M - cardinals don’t have to have cold. We have them year round here in Louisiana. There must some other reason they aren’t in your area.

The post office is definitely working overtime. Our mail that usually comes around 1:00 on Saturday was delivered a few minutes before 6:00. I had given up. I got the last 123 Stitch package with the fabric for the bees, and one of two with the tatting thread. This time the fabric color was right. The other is a much darker brown and I didn’t think the black bands on the tiny bees would show up at all. Tonight I will finish the second tile on Sharon’s and start the bees. I’ve cut the fabric to size and marked where to start.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
SD - that’s going to be so pretty. I love the detail. It does slow it down, but will be worth it. I relate about rushing to the mailbox. It took about 10 seconds to decide against waiting until tomorrow to pick up the packages. I drove out in the dark to get them.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
A conscience is a terrible thing. The second tier of vaccine eligibility here starts tomorrow, and I fit in by being over 70. There are other categories included as well. Hooray! But the catch? Statewide there will only be about 10,000 doses available. The pool includes about 640,000 eligible people. Assuming I could even nab a spot in the scramble, there are lots and lots of people who need it more than I do. I could not be in a safer place, I’m perfectly happy to stay home and isolated indefinitely, and have virtually no physical contact with anyone. Given that, it just doesn’t seem right that I should get one of the rare doses at this time. Anyway, all the slots, that have to be reserved, will probably be taken before I’m even out of bed tomorrow morning.

I guess I will decorate next Christmas. Sharon and one of the others are shopping and found a four foot lighted tree on sale for $10. I told her to get it for me.

I’ve done a little housework and I think I’ll just play for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Dircpa - the cardinal turned out well. I agree metallics can be a pain to use but they add an interesting dimension to the work.

I spent almost as much time unstitching as stitching yesterday. I decided to replace the outer line on the tiles with black. I had originally done them in the same color. It separates them a bit more visually and there is black backstitching on the daffodils so that will tie it all together better. Since they had been in the same color I hadn’t stitched them as a unit but continuously with the rest. That made taking it out slow tedious work. I have some real messes on the back where I tied down loose ends and had to restitch bits of the tiles I could not avoid taking out at the same time. Eventually though it was done.

Then I finished the first hexagon on the bees but have decided to change that. I was going to use several variegated yellows, but think it will look better in solids, so today I’m going to take that out. I have a rich gold, non-metallic, in the tatting thread so I am switching to that. I could use several shades for the hexagons, but As I worked on it I think that would be to busy and too much competition for the little bees. At least this will be quick to take out.

I have frozen eggs but always heard to scramble them first. Now I know why. Thanks for the education, SD.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
No craft spending? Well, it lasted until January 4 - that’s pretty good! Since I have a tree to decorate next Christmas, I ordered some tiny hoops to experiment with making little ornaments. So not exactly stash since they are for a specific project.

I’m going to restart the daffodil tiles. I don’t like the alternating green and brown tiles for it. I’ve decided to make them all a dark blue gray. I’m also switching to 16 count to keep it a little smaller. I finished the third tile on the first one, so I will just put a simple border on them and call it good.

As for the bees, I frogged the one hexagon I had done. I’ve about decided to use a light tan for the honeycomb instead of the gold, but I’m going to wait until the rest of the tatting thread comes. There is one in that group I want to see before I pick it up again. I hope it will come this week.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks CH. Both were ok, but I can do better. The tiles on 14 count were just at 12x12. Dropping it down a bit in size will allow it to be framed in a 12” square more easily.

Of the two thread orders, one is projected to be here Thursday. The other should have arrived on the 30th, but was routed, probably by accident?, from Mississippi to Tulsa. It’s been sitting there since I’m sure they will sort it out eventually. The one coming this week has the green I’ll use for the bug sampler border and the one I want to see before restarting the bees. The first SAL fill will be released tomorrow so I’ll start that this week too.

I’m going to do more housework this afternoon to give my hands a rest. I haven’t looked at the weather today but it’s been forecasting rain tomorrow. If that’s holding true some of the achyness is probably from changing weather.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I’m getting things lined up for the little ornaments. I’ve ordered small pieces of sparkly white opalescent in 20, 25 and 28 counts. I also emailed 123 Stitch for a recommendation for silk thread for these fabrics for someone who has never used it. They suggested four brands and I got two variegated in the cheapest brand. A bright rainbow and a darker blue/purple. If I like the silk I’ll put some solid colors on a birthday wish list, but that really is the end of the craft buying for quite a while. If after experimenting I decide I would rather go plain, I can use the fabric for Christmas cards or something else festive down the road.

I started a bit on the SAL border last night to set the placement of the first block. It’s going to a quick one so I will probably carry on the border for a while. So far it’s all gray, including the first block, but color will start to come in next week.

I also restarted the tiles on 16 count. Just barely since I switched to the SAL to get that ready. I decided to go with purple instead of gray for that. Since the next mandala section comes out Monday, I will be busy.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
One of the tatting thread orders arrived - a day early! That leaves only the one sulking in Oklahoma. This one had the green I was going to use for the bug sampler border but I’m second guessing that and wondering if I should do it with floss since it’s on 16 and the thread is a bit thicker than one strand of floss. I could also do the border with this green and the insects with floss. I need to look at the pattern closely and maybe experiment a bit.

Someone posted a finish of this pattern. I thought it was funny. https://peppermintpurple.com/collections/floral-cross-stitch/products/maybe-swearing-will-help

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
SD - the cabin will fit right in with with all your animal pieces. The coffee shop is coming along nicely. Gridding is a pain to do but it does make it easier and I think it speeds it up. Fewer mistakes too.

Happy dance day. The thread that was sent to Tulsa has finally found its way here. It’s out for delivery. The one I wanted to see for the bees is actually in this order, not the one I just got, so one way or another that will get underway again. I’ll work on that and the tiles today and tomorrow, then probably give a couple of days to the winter wreath cross stitch. Last night I scrapped my colors for the SAL and came up with a color scheme and layout I like a lot better. The first block and borders aren’t changing.

If I expect to continue eating I have to cook today so that’s the main non stitch thing on the agenda.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The second part of the blackwork mandala SAL will be sent out Monday, so I think I’ll set the blackwork projects aside for a couple of days and work on the winter wreath cross stitch. I have a long way to go on that.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Knotme - grandmas need their rest. I hope you get some. You’ve really been plowing through the to do list.

We have a very unusual forecast for us tomorrow. 100% chance of snow, starting probably early afternoon. 1-4.5” accumulation. It will probably start with a little, turning quickly to snow. Lovely. Put a nice thin glaze of ice under the snow. Most non essential places will close, but for the poor souls who have to go to work, Monday morning will be a demolition derby. I am so grateful that I can just sit back with a cup of tea and watch it fall. Or if we lose power sit back without a cup of tea and shiver.

I did sign up for the vaccine. They apparently have a lot left, plenty for my age group. LSU hospital here is setting up a drive through at the fairground. There are no assigned times. I’ll probably go Wednesday or Thursday. Add to the to do list: figure out how to get to the fairground and the part of it where they’re setting up. There must be a lot of people not interested in or willing to get it yet.

I don’t seem to be making much progress on the cross stitch, but it’s slow. This is a colored pattern - I really dislike them - and as I’m marking thing off it’s all beginning to look like the same color. I think when I get past this section it may be easier.

1 - 20 of 575 Posts