Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Those crossstitches are nice!

lol well since I have a book outlet cart sitting online..that has craft kits/books sets in cheap...some as gifts.. and just got my mary maxim order...plus old kits and craft stuff... no excuse to buy more but... . did see one thing that would use up my ribbons from the past when I dabbled in ribbon embroidery. of course since it has been so long it may come back in style! saw a craft project like paper rings but made from ribbon just cut and handsewn in loops to make chains. would use it up and make party decor for all things. think people used beads at join it too to make it prettier. it is thin ribbon.

https://www.instructables.com/Christmas-Ribbon-Garland-or-Chain/

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The peg doll is cute!

Anna, I am sure if you look online you will find something! the end is near. sometimes there is things you don't think of until you see them. like I bought soup bowl cozies made of quilt fabric/batting from a crafter online..so handy and never saw before..gave as gifts too to friends (esp ones who you don't really know what they need) and they love them.

I really didn't make concrete plans in the past cus inlaws and then last year we did...concert tickets etc and then covid/mom sick so have ideas but will see! did look on youtube for knitting machine instructions. looking for sock ideas. have lots of thin multicoloured yarn so would work to use the ones up that i am not excited about.

2 things the lollipop granny square blanket to go in hope chest for future grandkids on last skein of 4. and finish off dd blanket ..can't make it bigger the stitch bugs my arm. it is big enough for her. can use the rest of the thunderbird colour yarn for granny square or something for her.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I wish we had cardinals here so pretty but think they are in colder areas. did use the knitting machine..kids one but cute..was trying to see if you can make socks that weren't tubes but not so far though one of the first ones that popped up was this on an antique. cute. the yarn that came with the machine ..made a tube but not perfect but then if I knitted it ..would look the same lol but would get rid of some yarn making stuff quick. lots of wind and rain banging on window so perfect for staying in. puttering and cleaning in between shows. working on the lollipop quilt.

https://www.instructables.com/Socks-the-Old-Way-on-a-CSM/?linkId=80291789

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
haha someone that knows me would say swearing always helps. don't know why cardinals aren't around here maybe not a city bird. have lots of others. we have 5 rain storms in 7 days so one day in a break I went to feed the usual crows 3 to 8 well 40 or more showed up so leftover bread, popcorn and the lunch meat. and dry cat food cus there was so many so must of been hungry. on too number 6 suet seed block in the last few weeks. it is in the lilac bush where crows and cats can't get it.

no rain and cats inside..after complaining about the rain. ch the knitting machine doesn't make a big tube not big enough for adult hat so will get creative. funny story my grandmother who I never met in Europe. When she was young and was going out with friends her dad made her bring her knitting of socks and had to show she did a couple of inches while out. late 1910s early 20s..guess he thought her hands were busy can't get up to much. my cousin said she was the fastest sock knitter she had ever seen decades later. think she had to make a sock a day or something.

thinking too much of other crafts and buying more instead of using what I have! think cus everyone home too long and house a mess. looking at beeswax candle sheets this morning. got a delivery ..wrong address..the guy still in car so gave it to him and said couple streets off and then he was back with our package the right one. ds xmas gift from the states. never used old st paddys garfield mugs. he was happy. got all the xmas decor inside up in the attic. house still a mess.. last day of dh holiday and ds not really having school this week so they can move wallunit downstairs.

got my rhinestone thingy rhinestones w thing to put it on but no clear just coloured so need to order clear too. we are going to take down some of the houseside decor like inflatables but keep some lights up.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
the kitty blocks good great! and the cross stitching spirit! glad you are ok kathy. I remember my mom darning my dad's socks. those exp wool sock monkey types. I remember when you could buy those sock darning yarn sets at safeway. have one somewhere. me I rarely mend anything lol

some acrylics are quite soft. ch yes lol they came out with new ones but most of the old colours are gone and then they bought out more with the same name but the look and feel are not the same. very bright and you can't mix them with old ones to
the dismay of people trying to finish projects. like old ones better but since I have so many old ones don't have to worry about it lol

haven't done much crafting ..work and running around ..today moms bday so ds printed a gnome on the 3d printer..only couple inches high and painted it. very cute and she liked it. moved stuff to the basement so that will have to be dealt with. don't have a lot of energy though long list of to dos.. but they all get done don't they.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yes it is weird think someone else is making the cakes cus within a couple of months so different. like buttercream looks so different then before. caron cakes were a 100yr anniversary thing with limited runs that took off about 3 or 4yrs ago. so you had to get the colours while they were still there and then limited runs and then a certain amount of colours became stock. then they came out with different lines and types. chunky, tea, sprinkled etc. and other brands copied it too lionbrand was quite successful too with original colours of mandala but there was a whole thing of when they took off original made in turkey and then china which was better etc lol got me back into crocheting cus no work for colours.

well ended up w energy burst when downstairs doing laundry moving furniture etc .looking inside chest of drawers..cupboard..just a start..found my old sweaters and tshirts..well didn't have to buy some more shirts cus now discovered more. a bunch kids can have and add to thrift store pile. really wouldn't know what we had if we had a fire. plus all the stuff from wallunit too. will have a car load for value village. will have to go though all the craft stuff there too so many bits and pieces. and the cat has been peeing on stuff too and over the litter box etc. which is not on the tray it was suppose to be.. kids half assed cleaning. sigh big mopping etc due down there.

just doing the edging on the lollipop baby blanket. will finish tonight. actually was nice and sunny today but rain is coming again.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
that is pretty! we had a sunny day now rain so grey again. dh is off w dd to get the stuff delivered to value village..a bit grumpy about it but really a bunch is stuff from his mom. like I got dd to take out all the photos from books and frames ..all in a decorative shoebox size now w other pics from his mom in the cedar chest w the baby quilts etc. you know how people put pics over pics? well turns out under ds baby pic a lovely pic of his parents at his aunts wedding in the 50s. our kids are the only ones so just put away for them. a start with room for more stuff for the kids that is in other bins. slowly but surely.. we have a lot of stuff lol can't get bored here.

put all my baby yarn cakes on one shelf into a bag so I have a place for my cookbooks for now. went though the water bottles etc too to get rid of some. rest in dishwasher from reno dust. found tops I had put away ..some donate some to the kids ..stuff I had saved too small for me like disney ones etc.

still have to finish the lollipop one was working on it but then got into a dvd from library. think I need shadow boxes too so can group some things together.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yes it is lots of brown but for her son and after the little dog on it. She actually has a bunch of different quilts..the pinky one was for sons girlfriend. she is into frugality , gardening quilting soap making etc. and nice to see posts of a country with opposite seasons of ours.

those cross stitches are beautiful

finally finished that lollipop baby blanket. will finish off the one I was making for dd too. the stitch bugs my hand so big enough.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
your foyer is lovely! I like the first display of the squares on point..they always look like flying birds to me. xmas panels are on special near me but I have been good about shopping for any craft stuff the last week ..not that I don't have plans but.. like others have my house to sort out.

was up really late last night til 3am so I started on dd blanket..another wip. sitting in living room hearing joint snoring from one cat and dh lol. of course cats though I was up so they needed another round of treats at 2am. stopped the triple stitch on the blanket and just single stitching around now to start a easy border. need to dig out another skein of the yarn too. we had a big rain and wind storm the other day but at least sun for one day and somewhat today. 50 all week so not cold. according to fb memories in the last 8 years we had snow couple of them today. but now primroses are coming out and allergies are up.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
lots of places seem to do that with gift cards which is annoying. Do you have other fabric stores there? here we don't have joanns but michaels but couple chains of fabric stores that are big but they may carry some decor, curtains bit of yarn but mostly only fabric related stuff. michaels did start w fabric but wow the prices!

spirited it sucks..there are covid idiots all over the world. but at least with vaccine etc will be better. do you knit or crochet cus I find that is nice and mindless but stress relief. a scarf or something. and doesn't take a lot of detail.

just working on dd blanket to get it done. putting away yarn too to make it seems less lol decluttering.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yes just like all things ..if the head not right then nothing is.. govt, business , home etc. Think doctors are feeling like they can say stuff now...have to say nice and peaceful just for outside of states so inside you guys really must be happy. glad it went off well too. watched some of it. I think that by next week things will be way better..instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop feeling. Narcissists have that affect. hopefully he goes away.

the bernie memes are so funny.. think I have a pair of mittens like that fleece inside and really thick crocheted outside..like roving yarn or something. haven't worn mittens this year so can't say offhand. think the only pair kids didn't take.

just been good and working on the border of dd blanket so it will be out of the way. did buy another rhinestoning kit with reg rhinestones not coloured. the one before all coloured stones. haven't tried it yet but will when I get the other one.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
seems like every site is going this way ..full circle I guess to before the websites had all the popups etc. easier for phones too. yes it is nice though has come out today last petty thing but that is normal..just decided to stop a volunteer position cus main leader..shades of trump..not leaving anyone hanging.

yes the problems with shoulders! comes and goes... was nice and sunny but inside day of tv , crocheting and cleaning. plus allergy pills. major time cus stuff starting though we may get snow this weekend. got stocked up again on bird seed and suet seed blocks so good for now. came home from work and ds decided to make hardtack? why who knows added a bunch of cinnamon and sugar..needless didn't work and he wanted too again. said don't waste food make cookies or crackers not that...even the seagulls and crows were side eyeing the remains.

couple more rounds of the border and got the rhinestones w the applicator ..heats the glue backing. came in its own bag too nice. discovered that you can make tubes w the knitting machine and put them together for blankets. so that can be a plan for some of the yarn I have. don't know if I said that before. looked a couple youtube videos. having the rearrange for spring mood and get something new to put plants etc on in the corner. at the moment it is all on a game table that still needs fixing and I want it downstairs w video games etc. one that has chess board built in etc antique. bought from neighbours when they moves years ago.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I tried to upload a pic but just get that attachment thing so guess will see what the problem is one day. don't have problems on other sites.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yes it is a balance with money ..people always have opinions and times you just have to bite your tongue..like yes I bought yarn but you have a 10 $100 purses I don't. or yes i had apple pie for breakfast but guess what that bottle of wine I didn't have but you did ..still counts caloriewise just one is more socially ok.

and on that note lol love that ladybug! that is a cute idea using buttons. just have been working on dd blanket border. just puttering and cleaning moving stuff. we bought the inner workings for a storage bed so dh make the frame. he says I can store more yarn then lol then a couple of underbed containers. frogged the pocket shawl I started. too bright of colour will be socks on the machine.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
that is a lot of snow ! just rain here and early spring allergies. on the home stretch of dd afghan down to just single stitch around the border. just will keep going until the skein is gone. one skein is the the border. 5 rows of dble stitch. dh and ds took down the rest of the xmas lights outside and I put up the valentine decor. not as much as xmas lol but the wreaths on are door etc. nothing like michaels sales and grabbags to stock up cheap. the legs were separating on the dining room table so the boys fixed them too.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
fabricland here is having clearance sales too for everyone not just members get extra yardage etc all month. I can see the stores being quiet and then really busy at end of week. I went into work today and not much to do cus not even the reg amount sold of my products. And Chinese New Year is coming up next week..huge here. of course great time for sales on rice etc. no parade etc of course this year.

seems you guys are getting all the snow which is rain here. even the cats are nope inside. I need to get a haircut too but will go to professional! I understand you guys being extra safe though. you have to do what you have to do.

on the single stitch border of the blanket still. was thinking of crocheting a snood and putting rhinestones on it lol for bling. for when the hair is needing a cut etc. short and layered doesn't grow out well.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
lol think George Clooney uses that...apparently he irons, mends cuts hair etc. He said he was a broke bachelor for a long time so he learned the skills and is using it now. my hair is too heavy for long hair plus can't do much w it. but hairdressers are open here so still on the list to do this week. allergies just bad and according to fb memories is the season. actually was sunny here today! all day. I have a second hand bread machine but just love fresh bread though hearing of the pumpernickel..yum... though can go to the russian bakery too.

lovely fabric ch and that will be great quilt. the bug sampler will be nice when done and something different too.
just working on the edging of dd blanket crab stitch hopefully I worked it right that I run out of yarn at the end and win at yarn chicken. I rearranged dressers in the bedroom and yarn there too stacked inbetween. the stitch is bugging my arm so haven't finished yet but tonight i hope. got ds to do the library run and get bread etc.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
think you can get it dry cleaned but if you have a big washing machine you can wash on hand wash cycle but need to dry and fluff well so better in the summer on hot days. you can always bring home the fabric and worry about it later..sell or donate.

getting michaels urge as clearance yarn lol but will see. allergies are bad so don't know if want to go out. dh dropped off the boxes at ups store right near fabricland. still working on dd blanket..hands and forearms not liking that stitch or maybe allergies but will get done this weekend. got my irish fairie queen barbie and took out of box ..don't care about that in the new in box stuff. keep the box though. but the red hair is curly and since older the hair was fizzy when I combed it so will have to try the fabric softener trick.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts