Frugal Village Forums banner
1981 - 2000 of 2048 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have sometimes thought that I would like to try making a crochet temperature blanket when I retire. But that would mean it would be around the half way point in summer and a bit warm to work on.
I sometimes toy with this idea, too, but I think I would work on it a little at a time from January to April, then just keep a record until things cool down again in October and catch it all up then.

Almost my hooks are aluminum (I think - they're the basic metal ones from the store). I do have a couple of plastic ones but I think I 'inherited' them, although I'm not sure from where. (I sure didn't buy them!!)
I have a mix, but I actually had to go out and intentionally buy some plastic ones a few years back when I was doing tutoring at the college near here. Part of the gig was to sit-in in the lectures (that I'd already done before) and it was boring, so I would crochet. I kept dropping the metal ones on the hard floor of the classroom and everyone would turn and stare at me...

SD- I didn't realize tatting was done with needles! That's why the hooks made me think of you... I remember thinking in my very young days that I would love to learn how to make lace and tat... but you'll recall that back then there were no youtube tutorials, and that's not the kind of thing I could ever learn from a book. And now... now I have come to my senses and will just buy lace if I ever needed it!

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Wow, Zhoen, great finds. That stuff is expensive when you can get it at all. So many of the old shops have closed.

M, Happy Thanksgiving!

DC, what wonderful neighbors you have.

I got nothing done today, but tomorrow is shaping up to be a yard day. Cool in the morning and then rain for a couple of days.

I've kept a (mostly) daily record of the high temp here this year with the idea of making a temperature quilt. Same idea as the crochet one. There will be a lot of red and orange if I go through with it.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,983 ·
Z - those are great finds and a great price. You were smart to get them.

I haven’t been inspired to do much of anything today. I need a little of what you have, M. It sounds like you got a lot done. After I was too bored with with the gridding to do more, I pulled out the Smokey Mountains again, but I didn’t get much done. It was filling in confetti bits and and and some colors with more, but scattered, stitches. I seemed to be having a hard time figuring out where I was. I haven’t worked on it for a few days though so it was harder to get started. I’m going to leave the flower sal until the next comes out on Friday. I can catch it all up then.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
awesome deals Zhoen! yes I know what you mean... had a whole wow don't go to walmart for bday party gifts, latest toys etc anymore..don't have to shop all the time at thrift stores for clothes next size to grow into ... all phases...our babies.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Great find on the embellishments, Z! I do needle tatting, but there's shuttle tatting, too. It's more difficult, but I think you can do more complex stuff with that technique. I did try learning it from a book when I was a teenager. I made one small ring or something and gave it up. I might still have some shuttles around and still think sbout trying it again, but don't know if I will. I don't have a lot of purpose for lacy things, so it's only an occassional hobby.

Been working on the tatted doily UFO. It took a while to figure out where I left off, but once that ordeal was over, it's going pretty well. Most patterns are written for shuttle tatting, so I had to relearn the needle instruction terminology and then translate the shuttle instructions. The doily is poorly done so will probably never be used, but I'm going to finish it just because I'm trying really hard not to go back to having a house full of craft UFOs, and because it's good practice so I can work on making my picots uniform, double stitches nice and tight, and especially doing better on my reverses. The r's are what makes the UFO look so crappy, but I figured out why. They aren't written into the shuttle instructions I'm using, but my recent practice flowers, written for needle tatting, made me realize the r needs to be done for the knot to lay right. Still not perfect, but getting better. I still have a few 1" chains to do on the 9th rnd (they're quick) then the entire 10th rnd, then I get to make the 12 flowers that make up the next ring. Looking forward to those. They're like the middle flower that starts the doily, but I have to relearn to make those, too. Here it is so far. The 10th rnd is the same as the 9th, so nothing to relearn there. You can see why it's now a practice piece.
Doily Tablecloth Textile Wood Art

D, I hope you can figure out your new craft corner configuration. I love mine. I'll love it even more when my new clip-on light arrives Thursday. It took yrs to figure out how to make it work here due to an excessive amount of doors, windows, archway, and fireplaces that leaves us limited wall space, so I'm pleased we like the new arrangement.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
We have 2 fireplaces in the living room. One is a built in woodburner that came with the house and takes up about 7' of wall. We've talked about ripping it out for yrs because it's useless for heat. The other is a free standing LP model we put in the addition that doubled the size of the LR. It was easier to put that in than try to run ducts into the addition. We use that daily during heating season.

The design of the doily is pretty, the work is not.

I found 2 vintage tatting shuttles in, of all places, my tatting project bag. It always surprises me to find things right where they belong. They're in a little mint box, along with my very first and very only attempt to teach myself shuttle tatting. Since I still have the shuttles (I know I donated several) I might give it a try again sometime after all. Here's the massively incorrect little flower from about 1975. I suspect, given what I know now but didn't then, that half my problem was trying to use such thick thread. Stiil, I don't think it was too bad for a first attempt with no guidance except a little how-to book.
Creative arts Material property Font Electric blue Art

Our weather radio has been losing its damn mind the past few hrs. Severe thunderstorms all over the area, tornado potential. They've been naming the lake next door as a target, but it's huge so I didn't think much about it. But now it's pouring rain and maybe small hail, and the wind has come up. They've been warning campers in the BW to secure their camps and take shelter. Like, where? Fun times.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,989 ·
I like the new arrangement. I did have to move the tall floor lamp into the corner. There it gives nice bright ambient light reflecting from the ceiling and I can use the one right over my shoulder at a dimmer setting. On high at night it can glare so close to my eyes. The small table will definitely be a challenge. I suppose I should have moved the little roll of toilet paper for the photo shoot lol. I didn’t notice it there I’m so used to it. It takes up a lot less room than a box of tissues. An advantage of living alone. TP in the living room is acceptable.

the window on the left of the photo has the blinds closed. It faces due west, so it has to check out by mid afternoon. For the last year or so, the chair was backed up to it and I had a curtain over it. However having windows on either side gives me wonderful light during the day.

I’m replacing the seashell WIP with an owl WIP. It’s a European kit and it seems those all have patterns printed really large. I guess it makes them easy to read, but very awkward to work with. I have the owl pattern mounted on poster board and I don’t have a good place for it. It always seems in the way in my cabinet and I just want to be done with that annoyance. For now though I’m going to keep working on the mountains. I’m working a strip about 50 stitches wide from bottom to top. I looked at the full pattern while ago and realized my looking forward to the east mountains and sky was in vain. On that side, the foreground trees go almost all the way to the top. There’s going to be a lot of confetti in my immediate future.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
SD - nice work on the doily.

Looks like everyone's been busy. I took a bit of a drive yesterday since I got tired of being inside so much lately. That and I was trying to get past a bit of writer's block. I'm using the area I drove around in yesterday as the basis of where my story's located so I hoped to get back in the writing mood. I did get some work done on my story but it's just a start.

I did get some work done on the purple afgan today, though. I will probably drop it off at the charity that collects donation at the farmer's market. One of the charity's volunteers thanked me for the lapgan I dropped off last week. Apparently a lot of people dropped off hats and scarves but no one really thought of making lapgans there. I love making lapgans since I just use simple single stitches and use the yarn to make it different.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
DC, I like your comfy chair and the windows in your workspace. So much natural light!

SD, the tatting looks very pretty. I'm sure you'll get the rythm of it back soon.

Ren, hope you enjoyed the drive out. Glad to hear your donations are appreciated.

It was a lovely morning here for painting. Been cloudy most of the day, but that kept the temp down. Finished the last panel but did not get it hung up. Maybe next weekend. Supposed to be heavy storms tonight and rain for a few days. We could use some rain.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
That looks like a great work space, D, with all the necessary elements. There's no substitution for good natural light. My chair is once more next to 12' of south facing windows and I love it. I understand the use of multiple tables. Husby has 3 set up by his chair ATM.

Ren, I did some of my best writing while driving, yrs ago. I worked on a committee making dance outfits for all the rez kids, had some college classes there, and lots of friends there I visited. It was a 60 mile round trip, so every trip, I got an hr of alone time with my thoughts and tunes bouncing off the van or car ceiling. One of my MCs was a blues musician with eclectic musical taste, and the music was inspirational for me. Much of that novel was set in this area, and a lot of what I saw and experienced on those drives ended up enriching my story. Fortunately I never crashed my Ferrari F40 (or our little Cadillac) under a logging truck though. 🤪 Your driving research will give your story more depth. The really good novelsists use weather and locale almost as extra characters. The best stories give readers a very real sense of place and make them feel like they're there, sharing the characters' experiences.

I got the 10th rnd done on the doily, discovering a major blunder on rnd 9. 🤬 Not fixing it which would take approximately half of my anticipated remaining life. Apparently I wasn't capable of counting to 5 in that particular inch. Or I was distracted by hearing about the Vikings missing 5 consecutive field goal attempts, even though someone knows I really don't care. Whatevs. Anyway, I was gong to start the flowers but after messing that up and spending 20 minutes picking out knots, I decided I'm too tired. It'll be fun to start them tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,993 ·
A first taste of fall may be coming - next week. I hadn’t looked at weather for a few days since every day was a copy of the one before, but there was good news when I did yesterday. It was 90, noted as a near record temperature, and all this week is 85-90, but there is hope. The weekend and next week may be in the 70s. Pretty much right on time, mid- October. I just hope we don’t have another deep freeze spell like last winter. I read an interesting article though on how warming is thinning the arctic ozone layer and causing more intense polar vortex - vortexes? Vortices? Whatever.

I saw an interesting method for big cross stitches on a Facebook group last night. She was working in a spiral from the outside in. It would make it feel like it was going faster and faster. I may have to try that on something.

just a normal day today. A little housework and stitching.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Finished a green wool hat on circular needles, started another one. Next yarn (also from the charity bag) is wool but rather rough textured. I found a adult hat pattern for straight needles. There are 2 balls of this, not sure how many it will make, maybe 2. Really makes me appreciate acrylics.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Interesting idea to do a spiral. Like working a puzzle starting with the frame, sorta. The outside would be interminable though. Still worth a try, even just for a different method to fight monotony. Bet it would work great with diamond painting, which has a film laid over the sticky canvas. The film has to be peeled off a little at a time to protect the stickiness so the diamonds stay stuck.

I made a batch of WW hot pretzels, which I eat a lot of, plus a big batch of hotdish for Husby. Him being between dentures is messing up my healthy eating because he can only do soft foods like pasta, no fresh or tender-crisp veggies, etc. Basically, not much we normally eat. Still, I lost 2.2 pounds this week, so can't complain. My 25-lb loss charm should arrive soon, since I've lost 26.2 now. Go, me! My back, ankles, and knees feel so much better already. Can't wait to lose another 20 and beyond just to feel better and be able to move better.

Husby finally got ahold of our usual dirt guy, who said he would come fix our driveway if we can't find anyone else. He said he has shingles affecting his face and eyes, so we're not going to do that to him. He did inform us our plow guy is doing dirt work now, too, so we're hoping we can get him to come instead. It's rough getting anyone at this time of yr when they're all scrambling to get other jobs done, and freeze-up could happen anytime.

Supper will be Impossibly Easy Meatball Pie, something fast and easy to use up some things in need of using, namely Bisquick, meatballs, and potatoes. Have to use canned peas instead of frozen. Blech. The potatoes are hashed so will cook up soft.

Time to attempt the tatted flowers again. Once I figure out the join to connect the red to the yellow center, the rest should be fairly mindless and not involve too many swear words. It will be interesting to figure out the joins to connect all the flowers to the doily, too. Then I have to figure out how to do all the rings around the flowers, too. But I'm determined, and don't want to start the doilies for the nightstands till I've finished the current WIP.
Leaf Black Doily Art Textile

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
It's cold and raining. Fall is here. Going to make veggie soup with leftovers, and sourdough rolls. Need to use up the last of my bread flour and get a fresh bag soon.

Well, the floral print I wanted for my quilt backing sold out, even at $12/yd. So I had a moment of silence for that plan, and then remembered 6yds of fabric I have in my stash that I haven't used for anything yet. I fell in love with it at a quilt show years ago and hunted down the yardage. It's a weird pink, nothing matches it.

Brown Product Textile Rectangle Sleeve

It's the brownish floral on the left. Not sure what to do with it now.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
98 Posts
I preserved 40 glasses of applesauce today. That will be enough for 2 years.
This year the harvest is not so good. There are few apples, few nuts and no quinces at all.

My grandmother taught me to always conserve the amount that would be needed for 2 years, because there could be a year without a harvest. That's how I still do it today and am therefore independent of purchases.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I saw an interesting method for big cross stitches on a Facebook group last night. She was working in a spiral from the outside in. It would make it feel like it was going faster and faster. I may have to try that on something.
That would be a nice change from the way most things go, getting slower and slower the bigger it gets!

My 25-lb loss charm should arrive soon, since I've lost 26.2 now. Go, me!
Yes, go you!!! My 25 charm hasn't shown up yet... but neither have some things I ordered from China last month, so EVENTUALLY, it will be like a big surprise party for me when everything all starts showing up at once... (I hope...)

Right now I am trying to convince myself to go pre-make tomorrow's dinner so I won't have to be stressed about it after school tomorrow... but it's hard to hear the voice of reason over the the voice that is telling me "crochet and netflix..." 🤪

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Husby ran across a packet of pics we haven't seen in yrs, taken the night the fire department burned our farmsite to the ground. This one is so striking, and vaguely Halloweenish. Love how the silhouette of the barn stands out against the night sky.
Pollution World Heat Smoke Gas

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
SD - wow! What a picture! Was the fire done on purpose?

Zhoen - I had a package delivered last week from sender I didn't recognize immediately. It turned out to be part of a virtual historical talk on whisky I'm taking later this week that had an optional whisky tasting (for an additional fee, of course). I knew I had paid for the whisky tasting but I was expecting the package to have the name of the company hosting the virtual talk. That's ok, it was a neat surprise.

Getting close to finishing skein #2 and starting skein #3 on the purple lapgan. I do like the colors since I'm using up leftover yarn from a previous WIP.

1981 - 2000 of 2048 Posts