Frugal Village Forums banner
2301 - 2320 of 2384 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
I don't have my square of the day done yet, but it will be soon.

That's a gorgeous bird. She won't care if her gender is misidentified.

When I bead on dark velvet, I draw the design on very thin paper, then attach it to the fabric with running stitches to keep the paper from shifting. A big X from corner to corner works well, also vertical and horizontal lines, if its a big design. Then I stitch the outlines through the paper and fabric. Once that's done, the paper gets torn away and it's time to start adding beads.
Sleeve Gesture Headgear Font Art

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
I got 7 or 8 blocks done today. I think that puts me in the 60-70% range, hard to tell with the quilt rolled up. I know it is quilted from the center out to two outside edges. Probably won't get to it tomorrow. Doing zoom chat with friends tomorrow, I got the cross stitch out, and can at least look at it and try and figure out where I left off last year.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Super busy in grandma/sitter mode these days. super tired but doing what I need to do for our family right now. Was invited to 2 baby showers a week apart, no extra money right now to go out a buy gifts so the flannel to the rescue. Was able to get a large receiving blanket make for each and a few burp cloths to go with them. If I have time I will do a pair of baby shoes for each. I had earlier found a super cute and free pattern on line to do them and have done a few pairs already, but I only have a girl pair left and both these babies are boys. Welcome to the newbies, and I don't get a chance to post a lot. You guys are awesome and have some great projects going.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,304 ·
Earlier this morning I had a stash management epiphany. Since I’m not reading physical books anyway, to cut down on visual busyness in the living room I stashed them in the cubby bins rather than lining them up on the shelves. I also have all the beads and embellishments in bookcases in the bedroom because the containers they’re in won’t fit in the cubbies. I don’t like them in there because they’re hard to get to around the bed. However, putting them in the bags I ordered, they can finally go in the living room in the living room in the cubbies where they will be more accessible, and the stored books can move into the awkward bookcases - a win all around! The bags are supposed to be here Tuesday. I’m going to love this change.

Meanwhile, housework for a while, then I’ll work on the ornaments.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Got the stitching project out this morning.... and I can't see a dang thing. Even the readers aren't much help. I tried putting in 6 stitches but it was very difficult. I know my eyes have gotten worse lately, but wow. Time to get those prescription glasses.

DH is on a cleaning binge. He lost a small expensive part in his office earlier this week. I have been down on the carpet helping to look for it. We can't vacuum until we find it. Meanwhile an awful lot of cardboard is coming out and going into recycle.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
hope everyone is feeling well! well silver lining at least. can you vacuum w panty hose over the nozzle to find it. chilly here in the 40s and wet. cats being a pain. middle one beating on the young one who is twice her size. I tell him to just fight back.. was feeling unloved in the wee hours so had heavy drooling cat on my head. miss piss pants comes in pees on floor more the pee pad and out again in a minute. now stinky poop. protesters shut down main road so stopped my plan w friend to go to liquidation place to look at couch. so traffic backed up all over so we went somewhere else. plus to a thrift store I don't go to much. you can tell they get a lot of stuff from people down sizing etc. some blasts from the past.. remember those pizza heaters they rotate the pizza under the one piece triangle heating element.

found a shirt for dh or ds, a card and a quilt kit. someone had cut most of the pieces, sewed them etc. in greens, creams, flowers..half solid block w half strips sewn together. so just have to be finished and sewn together. not the greatest fabric but you could open bag but still worth it $15 was another $12 but very busy mottled fabric is the best I could describe it. very 90s I think. not a lot of contrast. all for good causes. they had beautiful crocheted doilies too but I had a bad sinus headache so just couldn't get into much. and no glasses too lol

dh got a roki stick so hopefully they will get the tv on back on the wall. got dd to make a card for brothers wedding cats getting married in front of a tardis. cats and dr who is the theme. black friday sale came in for local place that does retro dresses so bought three..2 for dd. atomic kitty print for both of us and a apple print $300 later w taxes etc but the cost of fabric is the same as buying them on sale.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Good finds, M! Too bad about the cats. When we had 3 they weren't that territorial, but they can be esp at different ages and when they come into the house at different dates.

They still make panty hose? I might have some footies around from a craft project years ago. If I find any I'll mention that to DH.

Got some quilting done today after all. I am at 72%. Three more blocks, then I rotate and begin the last part.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Getting close to finishing skein #6. I'll probably have it done tomorrow and start on skein #7. But the last few skeins are partial ones so the final skein "total" will sound like it's larger than it actually is. I probably wouldn't have put together the mix of colors I'm doing if I had to pick up yarn from the store. Although I might consider doing something like that in the future by looking for yarn that has one or two skeins left on the shelf when I'm in the store, especially if they're on sale or clearance.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
lol yes ch they do and you know what !! even a brand called snag tights so you can get hose that lasts a long time. where was that when I needed it in 80s and 90s. I have pantyhose still new ..some was fun stuff for dh lol but just in case ..I think there are times you don't have bare legs but showing my age. knee highs too. He would like it if I wore it more. I saw new in packaging hose at the thrift store a pale pink and I was I had that back in the day!

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
It's sunny and will be a good afternoon to sew.

New JA ad is 20 pages! Mostly decor and gifts, and of course fleece and sewing machines. Starts Wed. I'm going out tomorrow, if I can think of anything I need. Right now nothing is coming to mind. At least the store shouldn't have big lines.

I got notice my fabric order is ready to ship, which seems unusually swift for MO Quilt Co, but it still has to get through the postal system, so I'm thinking post-Thanksgiving delivery.

Dance troupe is having a holiday dinner and exchanging small gifts in a couple weeks. I can get those bags out of my closet, yay! I bought up small gifts and bags in early 2019 with no idea it was going to be 2 years before I'd get to use it.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,313 ·
I’m off to a slow lazy start this morning. In fact, in 8 minutes it will be afternoon. I have so much to do in the house, but my chair and cozy quilt are so comfy….

I’m going to make some tweaks on the ornaments so I’ll have to frog the beginning of the border I’ve done. On the original pattern the ornament strings start at all different heights, so I had to pick an arbitrary place to start them. I’ve decided it allowed too much, so I’m going to shorten them about an inch. I also had originally just put the two patterns side by side, but that will leave too much space in the middle, so I moving the strings on the right over. I haven’t stitched any of those yet, so at least I won’t have to redo anything there. I love the new metallic thread. It’s as easy to use as floss. I think I’ll ask for more colors of it for Christmas. Or just get them myself. The new sequins are out for delivery, so I can plan the bling tonight. The smaller organza pouches should be here tomorrow, so I can start getting that switch up done. Actually I may move part of the books today.

Anyway I need to have a busy day. There’s a lot on the agenda.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I got rid of a jigsaw puzzle today. It was one of the cheap brands - cardinal - that someone gave me as a gift.

There were large sections of the puzzle that were a mountain covered with greenery. So I was faced with lots of pieces with extremely similar pictures bits. This may have been doable for one of the higher quality puzzles. But this puzzle had pieces that fit together nicely - but did not actually go together.

If the picture was more distinct, I could tell by looking if the pattern matched up. But due to the picture there were so many matches I was not sure were real matches.

In the future, if I had to choose between redoing a good quality puzzle I did previously and getting a new cheap puzzle, I will go with redoing what I have.

I still have one more of the cheap puzzles. The picture is better, so I might give it a try. But for now, I am going back to doing one of my good puzzles.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Got 7 blocks quilted today. I'm at 79%. Cut a large width of extra batting off one side, that helps.

Tomorrow is my day out. I had arranged for a package to come Wed, and I got a notice it is being delivered tomorrow. I'm probably the only person who gets annoyed that stuff gets delivered early, but if it comes when I'm not home there's a high risk of it being stolen off the porch.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,316 ·
CH - I wish I could trade deliveries with you. I have some things coming Wednesday that I would love to get tomorrow.

K - I agree with you about the puzzles. Good quality puzzles are worth it. They also hold up well to working more than once.

The bling arrived. I like it. The only one less successful are the tiny hollow stars. To stitch them on I will need to use a very fine thread. I think I have some stranded silk. Maybe a single strand of that? Spider silk? Lol

I got enough done to be happy with the day’s work. I’m planning a comfort food supper. Grilled havarti cheese sandwich, tomato soup, Granny Smith apple. After that I’ll work some on the stash organization and then stitch the rest of the night away.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
We have deliveries coming every day this week, except Thursday. The annual holiday splurge has begun. We got Target stuff this morning, dog treats and Husby's pink phone speaker. Still waiting for the first Amazon order, a tatting book, doggy vitamins, and a bread slicer. Then it's a bunch of mostly boring stuff like new battery packs for all the landline phones. Husby ordered himself a fancy embroidery scissors. I ordered a 4-pack of little folding scissors since my current ones either broke (plastic handles) or they won't cut thread right at the tips. I'm hoping the all steel version will work better. I have one of those that works well in my beading kit, but of course just because they look alike doesn't mean they are. No way to know without trying them.

I'm so tickled our flying squirrels are back. Cuteness overload.
Wood Carnivore Felidae Gas Whiskers

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Well, good news, the package came this evening. I only had to sneak it in the house while DH was preoccupied. One of the items is a holiday gift. :)

DC, dinner sounds nice. I love a good apple.

SD, good scissors are worth a splurge.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Companies are ramping up deliveries ahead of the holidays now, like every yr. We ordered from Target at 5 PM Saturday and got our stuff before noon Monday. Didn't get our parcel box built this yr, but those seem like a good solution to porch pirates.

Husby got the splurge scissors. Mine are cheapies, 4 for under $7. I'm curious if they will work as well as the one in my bead kit. Hope so.

I was rolling along on my second square of the day yesterday, had a major screwup, started frogging, damaged then broke the thread, didn't frog back far enough, redid what was removed, refrogged, corrected error, tied on less thread than needed, but finally finished the rnd with about 1" to spare, always fun with a 5" needle. After all the trauma I couldn't get the energy to work in the ends, so have to do that yet. I should be able to finish the square today and maybe another one. I think I have 3 left to do but I sort of lost count.

I got derailed and had to quit tatting to patch up Storm's Piggy. Piggy got damaged and was leaking stuffing, so he got set on the table to await repairs. The look on Storm's little face was tragic. Piggy is his current favorite, so Skunky, Bear, or Biff just won't do. I got started on Piggy without Storm seeing. The look on his face when he noticed was priceless. Then he started complaining because I wouldn't give Piggy back. Luckily I was almost done by then, but a complaint was still filed against me with Husby. Pink Piggy is now sporting a leopard print furry top and Storm is happy to have his squeaky buddy back again. After Storm got him back, Shadow started grumbling about it. She lodged complaints with both Husby and me. We thought she wanted a "new" toy too, but it turned out she wanted THAT toy. Those 2 are hilarious, at least to us.

The tatting book I ordered turned out to be the same info I got online when I started needle tatting yrs ago. Same pics and everything. Disappointing in a way, but the artist is outstanding and I don't mind supporting her. There are some additional tips and new (to me) info in the book, so that helps. And the book is small enough to fit in my tatting bag, so will be a good resource to take along to places without internet. She includes a good section on abbreviations, symbols, and acronyms which will be handy when I start learning how to read patterns.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,320 ·
I am still shocked by how much I paid for my prize scissors. I asked the HAED group what they used to frog on 25 count maybe a couple of years ago. Several recommended Dovo hardanger scissors. When I die I’m taking them with me. I read somewhere since that they stopped making them. If I could find them I might be willing to hand over another mini fortune for a backup pair.

I got the day’s evil job done. Pulling out those containers in the back of the fridge that I didn’t want to see or touch. I hereby award myself a medal for bravery and vow (again) to do better going forward.

I didn’t get much done on the ornaments last night, but maybe can accomplish more tonight. I think I finally have it figured out and the actual stitching should go pretty quickly.

2301 - 2320 of 2384 Posts