Frugal Village Forums banner
2321 - 2340 of 2382 Posts

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,321 ·
Out of curiosity I did some checking around for the Dovo scissors. The whole company may have shut down. There are a few available but I was seeing prices like 150+. That’s a huge nope. I paid around 50 for mine. I also found an article that recommended Premax ring lock as a good substitute. I just got my Christmas wish list. They’re on Amazon, slightly less than my Dovo were. They also have a curved embroidery pair. My curved scissors, fiskars, are shot due to operator abuse. They’re the ones I use most and they definitely need to be replaced. New curved scissors have been on my list for months. Actually I may forget Christmas lists and go on and get the curved ones. The ones I have are really annoying to use.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Wow but good scissors like knives are worth it if you keeps from family lol have some hidden and then forget. sunny here today. need to work on bookkeeping and housework cus the sun shining is showing the dirt. working on my cardigan still. think I will have to get another ball of the yarn to finish it cus almost though the first part and down to half of the second skein so will need more then one left.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Spent all day doing errands. Thrift store was not taking donations, so stuff can sit in my car until they're open again. I guess a lot of folks cleaned out the spare room for Thanksgiving....

Took a swing through JA. Lot of holiday stuff on sale, meanwhile shelves in the back of the store are bare. I picked up half a dozen remnants. One, maybe two, will go for Quilts of Valor. One or two I will cut for fat quarter swaps. A half yd remnant was cheaper than a single FQ. I'm not going back for the $1 sale tomorrow. They were busy enough today, 8 people in line and 2 cashiers working. Tomorrow the real crazy begins.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Good to see y'all have been busy! :)

I got enough done to be happy with the day’s work. I’m planning a comfort food supper. Grilled havarti cheese sandwich, tomato soup, Granny Smith apple. After that I’ll work some on the stash organization and then stitch the rest of the night away.
Ooh, that sounds good! Maybe I'll do that for dinner tomorrow night. The menu says cheesesteak subs, but we don't have the right ingredients (and I am SICK of carry-out/delivery.) In our case, I'd probably slice up the apples we have in the fridge and make a mix-up, since most of them are a bit banged up, and then everyone gets a sampler! (And technically that's stash-management, right?)

I got the day’s evil job done. Pulling out those containers in the back of the fridge that I didn’t want to see or touch. I hereby award myself a medal for bravery and vow (again) to do better going forward.
I feel ya! A few KFC-type containers that I might usually wash and re-use went in the garbage when I was cleaning up the other day... I apologized to the environment, but eww... and I was tired.

Today I lugged in a big cardboard box of graduation goodies for my little cohort. It was funny, because other classmates I don't really know were peeking over, but they get NOTHING!!! Muhahahah.... If I wasn't so busy the last few weeks, I might have thought to make cookies or something for the big group, but it didn't even occur to me. As it was, I spent far more time getting that stuff and the pacman scarf assembled than I did actually studying, I can't bring myself to feel bad for not thinking bigger <shrug.>

Alas, there was one project I would liked to have done and just didn't have time, so now I have to deal with the supplies i bought and opened, but didn't use. Grr. I was going to make little ribbons (you know like the ones they used to give for prizes that say 1st place, or whatever?) I wanted to make a bunch of those that said "Educated AF" for all of us for graduation... but I ran out of time. I will store the pins in my stash and either DD14 will find a use for them or I can still make something like that for H's class in 18 months, but I think I will donate the ribbon that was going to go around the pins and hang down...

I think I will throw that ribbon (it's red) in with the box of Christmas decorations I am planning to drive into the city tomorrow. I had hoped to do that today when I went in for my test, but there wasn't time to get everything together. As part of my community health class (the one I just finished today,) we went into the (literal) projects, and the manager in one of them is really great and said she'd be happy with the decorations that I had been planning to give to the community center if my teacher hadn't been so unreceptive to the idea. I will still go back next Tuesday when I am in town anyway and put away the fall decorations I had put up and store them in a cabinet there-- I believe in cleaning up after myself-- but I am not going to bother putting up winter decorations as I had planned. "Pearls before swine" and all that. The manager at the housing project has someone who will put the decorations up and take them down, and if there is anything that they just don't like or can't use, she has 100+ poor families she can offer it to. So that will get a bunch of clutter out of the house.

This is getting long... so anyway, I finished the pacman scarf and delivered it today, so one less thing lying around here, and the extra yarn and knitting needles are back in the catch-all basket. This place is a wreck. My next project (unfortunately) has to be a few days of just cleaning and organizing! Boo. 😕

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,325 ·
It doesn’t look like I’m going to make my goal of everything shipshape by Thanksgiving. The problem is that I can’t do much at a time, so I work a bit, then sit down, and get distracted with other things and that’s pretty much the end of it. There’s no reason it had to be done by Thanksgiving since no one is coming here but it was a good psychological deadline. I’ve made a noticeable difference in it though.

I was really tempted by those scissors but told myself no. I’ve never looked for scissors at 123 Stitch, but found one there I’m interested in. A lot cheaper. They’re out of stock, but I signed up for a notification when they’re in again. Yesterday I ordered the Treasure Braid in the four colors I’m using - red, green, blue and purple. I tried using the Kreinik I have in red and green, but it’s really too heavy for this. That limits what I can do until it comes. I think I’ll be ok carrying on with the non metallic parts of the green and red ornaments, since Christmas red and green are pretty straightforward, but I really need to see exactly what color the blue and purple are. Or I may just wait. I’ve been doing the hanging strings in the gold I have, but they would show up better in the colors.

I want to do a couple of small Christmas patterns to put on fabric gift bags. If that doesn’t work they might work as Christmas cards. I can start one of those while I wait for the thread. The site projects Saturday or Monday delivery for it but I don’t know if that accounts for Thanksgiving.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Congrats on making it through, Zhoen. I know it's been a long haul for you.

I like my Gingher curved embroidery scissors. They're not the tiny style though. I think they're 4". They won't fit nicely into the little zipper tool pouch that fits in an outside pocket of my tatting bag, and I wouldn't take them on a trip in case of loss or damage. Hence the tiny folding ones. The Ginghers live on a leash attatached to my embroidery stand next to my recliner, so they're easy to retrieve when they fall.

The bread slicer guide came and I like it, so it's good to have one again. Hauling out the meat slicer is too much work for bread. The egg cooker came too, so I hope we like it.

I got 2 squares done today. One more and I'll be done. I hope to finish tomorrow, but have some prep to do for Thursday. But the last square will be done soon. Then I need to start doing something useful.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ergh... DD18 left her phone near me and the alarm went off at 6am even though none of us have school today... I have been refusing to get up, but I also can't go back to sleep. Unfair!

Congrats on making it through, Zhoen. I know it's been a long haul for you.
The egg cooker came too, so I hope we like it.
Thanks, SD! I still have one more 8-hour shift on Saturday before I am officially done with the other class, but all the graded work is done.

Is your egg cooker one of those steamer things? My mother gave one of those to DD14 a while back and I didn't think we would like it, but she does, and it is really good for soft-boiled eggs.

I want to do a couple of small Christmas patterns to put on fabric gift bags. If that doesn’t work they might work as Christmas cards. I can start one of those while I wait for the thread. The site projects Saturday or Monday delivery for it but I don’t know if that accounts for Thanksgiving.
Y'all are making me think of this little book I have somewhere in the stash that I've had for literally 30-ish years that is all cross-stitch ornaments. I do NOT need to be starting up cross-stitch right now! DD14 has all my old floss and hoards it like a dragon.

For my next trick (aside from unearthing the house from holiday components that I have been purposefully collecting and random detritus that has accumulated while I have been too busy to do much about it) I have a little bit to do to finish a Baymax hat for DD18, and then I was looking at my pinterest board, and I had saved an idea to do a Pusheen hat for her, too. She would love that, and needs something to replace her pumpkin hat that I will be hiding after Thanksgiving... but I have to carefully consider the hat thing... it really is a thing with people with certain sensory issues/mental illnesses. I want her to have things she likes and feel cozy, but her doctor has cautioned about certain behaviors that "other" her in greater society, and always wearing hats is one of those things that can be alienating-- on the other hand, ironic hats are sort of a style right now, so...

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Z - I wear hats all the time outdoors. Brimmed hats and sunglasses for eye protection or just knitted ones for warmth. To the point I will forget to take off the knitted ones inside sometimes because I am just so used to having them on. I wore knitted ones (many colors) all during chemo (long ago), very comfortable. You can add a scarf or bling (costume jewelry pins) to change them up. (Time to get out the Christmas Tree pin and the rhinestone snowflake pin.) This is the pattern I use although my original instructions use size 5 needles, not size 7. I use 90 stitches size, they are quite stretchy. Probably 3 oz of yarn required, I can get 2 hats from a 6 oz skein. Free Roll Brim Hat Knitting Pattern
If you make the first part longer than 6" you can wear 2 stacked, roll the inner brim up & over the brim of the outer layer. Like so.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Flooring Floor

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I will probably get a decent amount of work done on my crocheting over the next few days due to the long Thanksgiving weekend. I crocheted while listening to an audiobook on cd. I don't listen to enough audiobooks to justify getting an Audible account at the moment but I've been wanting to get back into reading (or at least listening to) fiction for a while. I've been focusing on various non-fiction topics as well as folklore/ghost stories for quite a while but not fiction. I do have some other audiobooks and audio lectures that I picked up years ago before Audible was a thing.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Zhoen..depending where you live .. geek style is cool now having all that so called nerd stuff star wars etc is popular even with adults esp since pokemon is like what almost 25 yrs old. My dd doesn't have sensory issues but is different ..not one of reg kids for sure so I understand. She made plague doctor masks out of felt to wear..plus all her capes etc. so not reg teen wear. But a balancing act for sure about being excepted or not.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have sensory issues as well, but not officially. I was a child in the 70s and a teen in the 80s. I don't think people really had a concept of it back then. Of course this was also the same school system that believed children above above average intelligence could not have a learning disability.

Growing up people acted like I was just being a drama queen for getting upset at things that did not bother other people.

I really see the advantage of a hat. I get sensory overload and I feel like something that would block most of my peripheral vision could help. A little bit of sound dampening would be helpful too.

Inside is mostly okay, but the metro (subway) and bus can be bad.

I feel like I am kind of okay being an eccentric old lady. Well maybe a middle aged eccentric. For some reason it feels like it is somehow more acceptable to be eccentric when you are old. I never hear the term eccentric middle age lady 😛

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,332 ·
I think I was born old. A couple of friends and I went through a phase in high school where we wore hats, something kids didn’t do. It was becoming definitely an old lady thing, but there was still a hat shop downtown.

I’ve spent a few hours at the kitchen house today. Hamburgers for lunch, and a whole lot of cooking going on for tomorrow. I played while they worked. None of you may remember, but I got a huge deal on Kreinik Bag o’ Bits on eBay two or three years ago. Those are packages of odd bits from the factory. They have random pieces, anywhere from a couple of inches to several feet. I divided it all out by color some time ago, and now, since I accidentally ordered too many empty spools, I’m winding those that have substantial amounts. I’m getting full spools of some of it. If I were buying it, I’ve already got enough on spools to have paid for it and I’ve barely started. With all these goodies I really do need to make time for crazy quilting. It’s a mix of blending filaments, braids, and 1/16 and 1/8 ribbon. I’m not keeping the short bits. I have more than a lifetime supply, especially since I’ve found the new metallic. Sorting it and getting it on spools will make it usable. This what it looks like now.
Glasses Purple Textile Plant Bag

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I sometimes think I was born old too.

I tend to prefer quiet evenings at home to a night on the town. I dislike parties. When I do go out it tends to be places like art museums and and public gardens. I don't really care for "exciting" things.

I like reading, which I suppose can be all ages. But embroidery and jigsaw puzzles are pretty old lady stereotype.

But I feel like as I get older, I am becoming more me. I feel more comfortable in my skin.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
DC, you definitely got a deal on the thread bits. Would be fun for fiber artists, too. I have seen people make "fabric" by sewing over handfuls of those bits. Then it can be used for applique or whatever.

My fabric order came. The tag on the floral backing says 3.95 yds which might just be enough. I have not unfolded it yet. Looks like a 1980's bedsheet print, lol! I'll have to look at the Star Wars fabric to see what matches it. It's so dark today with rain clouds (but no rain) and the sun is nearly gone, too. Can't see much of the beautiful fish print, even under lights.

I ddi get a pic earlier of the prints from JA yesterday:
Purple Liquid Paint Violet Material property

I got nearly 2 yds of the weird pastel, I'll base a quilt off it. The star print is going to the guild.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Zhoen, I hope we like our egg cooker, too. We want it mostly for hard boiled eggs.

Ren, we get audiobooks from our library. We're both recent converts to audiobooks. I've been bingeing David Baldacci books and others while tatting. If you don't have a phone to download to, a computer or tablet works too. I finally got up the courage to start listening to a Dean Koontz book today (while I'm waitlisted for the next Baldacci). Since covid showed up, we've become cyber library patrons almost exclusively. Who needs to drag home germy paper books? That's always grossed me out. Besides, it's way more convenient. I've always loved that I could be in Wyoming or somewhere and still check out books. Even at home it's nice because we can check out and return books 24/7.

Finished the doily! I'm not ready to put them on the nightstands yet, so won't starch them now. I was thinking about making another doily but don't have the colors I want for it, so will table that idea for now. I might make a second attempt at the flower doily I botched and then trashed. It's labeled "challenging", but looking at the instructions, it looks simpler than what I just finished, now that I've had a refresher course. But I may wait a while and do some other stuff.

I got rid of a UFO. It's a small one I got at a garage sale. I looked it over and realized it wasn't my UFO, since the design was off center and the stitching was sloppy. So I ripped the stitching out and it's no longer a UFO. I'll get around to doing it some yr.

Not sure what to work on next.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Spirit Deer: You Un-UFO'd something??? I am suddenly filled with inspiration about a bag living in the back of my closet. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Finished the doily!
Yay! Congrats!

Ok, so for accomplishments today, I went through the Christmas crap someone gave me a couple of months ago that was originally meant for the clinic. After a bit of fluffing and deconstructing-and-reconstructing, and a great deal of hot glue, I felt just like one of Santa's elves! I was pretty happy with what I dropped off in the city today, and the manager at the housing office liked it. I ended up with a handful of random silk poinsettias and berries that I will add to our new garlands for the front door that I need to assemble this weekend and a bit of ribbon that I will add to the gifts I need to wrap. All in all, a good outcome-- nothing really added, and nothing really used except time and hot glue... well, and gas driving to and from the city. Ouch...

On the way home, I swung by the thrift shop on the big army base and paid $21 for 3 big garbage bags full of random coats to add to the coat drive, so those will be in the back of my van for a week or so-- but I dropped off last few leftover toys from our toy-and-veggie event last month, so a little in, a little out, and all of it gone in a week (I hope.)

I had hoped to swing by JA tonight, need more hot glue to do the garlands, but circumstances and my overly dramatic teenagers and their overly dramatic father did not permit... grr... I do NOT want to have to go anywhere near the stores this weekend, but it is looking inevitable...

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
I'm good at un-UFOing. I am a master repurposer, after all. 🤣

I went looking for some yarn to make a headband and discovered a whole tote of crochet thread I didn't know I had. I have the dark brown and pine green I wanted for the pinecone doily I didn't think I had the colors for, so have to decide if I want to tat some more.

In the meantime, I found yarn for the headband but forgot how to do cable stitch, so have to relearn that now. Wish I could retain knowledge and skills I only use every few yrs. I recall cable stitch not being difficult but I'm frusrated ATM. I shouldn't try this stuff when I'm tired.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,339 ·
I got most of the gold embellishments sorted and in a cubby bin. Then I carried on with sorting the purple thread. I’m almost finished with it. After that all I have left is silver, black, white, yellow, orange, red, blue, blue-green, green, brown, and a much bigger container of gold. I’ll take some tomorrow to sort while we’re all just sitting around all afternoon. This isn’t a push to get it done project though. I’ll some now and then when I need a break from stitching. I’m really going to like the book/stash switch. I’ll finally, for the first time ever, have all the stitching supplies in one place. Sewing fabric is still exiled to the far corner of the bedroom but I seldom need to get into that.

I hope you all have a good Thanksgiving. M - you can celebrate with us too.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
It's bright and sunny today so you know what I'll be doing. DH is in charge of the bird, which is pre-brined and comes with a gravy packet, so I won't be needed in the kitchen. (But I am making a pie this afternoon)

Zhoen, hope you get a chance to get to JA.

Everyone have a pleasant day.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi
2321 - 2340 of 2382 Posts