Frugal Village Forums banner
2341 - 2360 of 2383 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate! Sounds like everyone's been busy.

Finished up the yellow skein as well as a weird clay-ish tan brown skein. The tannish one was really small and did only a few rows but that's ok. I originally planned on doing another yellow (the tan clay was suppose to separate the two) but didn't like how it looked once I started with the new yellow. So I ripped out what I had done of the second yellow skein and went with another of the fall variegated yarn (the second of the three I had leftover and decided to use in this afgan). Much happier with it now. I'll still use the second yellow skein, just not sure if I'll use it next or wait a few more colors before I do.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
You guys have been busy! ch the fabric is nice! kinda 80s vibe. of course I start a post and animal starts up lol crows outside yelling lol they weren't there when I got up so didn't feed them. only old bread anyways. pouring rain so cats are back to bed. realized I had bought them bread monday whole wheat. but think they ate the cat food on the porch. still no one eating the rice lol

I don't like wearing hats at all don't know why just don't..like the idea of them and fancy ones like fascinators etc. I had variety kool aid packs I bought off amazon (can't get here) and they sent mango instead of lemon lime and yesterday dd is I don't like the mango at all..said didn't ask for them but seems she isn't a fan of mango either..I don't like mango, my mom doesn't either..mango is really big here so you get side eyed when you say that lol so seem to family thing. ds likes it.

Happy Thanksgiving all! of course not here been there done that. dd birthday is next. finished the front and shoulders of the cardigan and started the back. actually fast for me.. have to go get another skein and michaels has buy 2 one free black friday sale so that works. forgot to say did get red heart new yarn rounds at walmart on monday. 2 different sets of colours..only 235 yards so for a hat or something.

off to work has been one of those week where volunteer work, bookkeeping and stores stuff is all happening on the same day. will stop at library on the way and see if the thrift store there has the barbie styling head my sister told me about on sunday. of course slim chance!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Green yarn used up, may be on the last red hat. Then will switch over to the donation yarn and also whatever I can use the leftover/small balls for. Found a slipper pattern that might work for the scratchy wool, will try a pair to see. Don't see any incredible yarn deals so staying away from the store. 50% off at best and can do that w/ coupons periodically anyway.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Do spices count as a stash? My husband bought an 8 ounce container of powdered ginger. He is a big fan of the whole cheaper in bulk idea.

I made gingerbread cookies today. That used 1/2 tablespoon. I made a half batch because there are only two of us.

I generally only make gingerbread or gingerbread cookies once a year. The best buy date is in 2024. My husband said we can use the ginger for other stuff like maybe Asian dishes.

Realistically though there is no way we would even come close to using it all up before it expires.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
So far today I've made breakfast and cleaned the kitchen. Made lunch and cleaned the kitchen. Put all the smoked meats away, and cleaned the kitchen. Made a pie and cleaned the kitchen. I got 4 or 5 blocks quilted and ran out of thread..... Going to find something else to do while DH does the turkey and cleans the kitchen.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,346 ·
CH - sounds like you’ve had a really fun day - lol.

I started one of the little Christmas patterns but really didn’t do much on it. I’ve spent way too much of my day looking at the 123 Stitch Black Friday sale. There was a pattern I spotted that could just not pass up. I want to put it on a project bag for me. Amy Bruecken Designs Early Bird - Cross Stitch Pattern - 123Stitch

I have finally decided - yes, again - what I am going to do with the bug sampler. It is going to be super fiddly to do the bugs in color. I’ll spend more time hunting colors, threading needles, and then putting them away than will stitching. So I’m going to do it on a solid color called ice blue that is so light it really looks more like just a cool white. I’ll stitch all that intertwining border invariegated, most likely a pretty blue and green one called peacock plume. Them I will do the bugs in one or maybe two coordinated colors, but only one color on each one. That will make it faster and easier, a definite plus on such a huge project, but still give me some color on it.

The next to the last flower pattern just came out - slipper orchids. I’m going to start that now.

The new metallics I ordered for the ornaments have shipped and shows a Monday delivery, but it’s possible they could show up on Saturday. I hope so. I’m ready to get that underway.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
That's a cute little pattern DC. I'd be happy with just a picture of it.

DH made a nice turkey, we watched a bad movie, and I just put the leftovers away. There's not a lot. Half a turkey, some gravy, and most of a pie. I didn't do a lot of sides this year.

I use ginger quite often, but I get it fresh or in a jar. The powdered stuff just doesn't have much flavor IMO. Hope you find uses for it.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,348 ·
Today is make the stash invisible day. It’s in that middle stage where everything is a colossal mess. I’m going to finish moving the books and get the embellishments dumped in the cubby bins by color. Then I can work through it one by one. It will still be usable, but I don’t really need it for cross stitch anyway.

I’m doing two of the Christmas ornaments for the bags, one for the gang here to hold all the money cards, and one for a good friend from the old opera office days. I need to switch and do his first, because he’s likely to pop up any day with a Christmas present. I hope I can get it all together before that happens.

It’s time for a leftovers lunch and then to get started.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Finished a red chemo hat. The remaining ball is about grapefruit-sized. Probably enough for a child hat, we'll see.
Kathy you might make your own tea bags (can use coffee filter paper) and try the ginger powder along with other stuff. Ginger-lemon is fairly common. I've seen them made on the sewing machine....
Wore my green velour (stretchy) pants yesterday, comfortable. I dug out the remaining fabric, maybe enough for top. There is a simple jacket pattern I like, I think I can convert it to a V-neck top. Have to try laying it out.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
dlr, Kathy - I agree, ginger-lemon is fairly common. I sometimes combine my ginger root (although I have the root, not the ground version) in with lemon balm. I also put ginger in with the cacao tea I have. I either brew the cacao shells as a tea with water or I'll cold brew it in whole milk in the fridge. I don't know if you like hot mulled cider or not, but ginger is often part of the spice blend used in mulled cider. It's getting to be the season for hot mulled cider around here.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I actually have a bag of dried ginger I use in tea. I have tea bags, but I am not sure if the powder would go right through them or not. After all the bag has tiny holes to let the water flow through.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
I got the 2 large and 1 of 2 small medallions done on the pinecone doily. Those 4 will make the center section. The outer part is 10 pinecones. I have 2 balls of crochet cotton and I hope that's enough for the pinecones. The pattern says it's 'challenging' but so far it's been much easier than the ones I just finished, which were not rated.

The scissors all came. Husby's swan scissors are really pretty. He's pleased with them. My folding scissors snip threads nicely and are sharp enough I already cut myself with them, so that's a relief. I hate spending money and then having a product unable to perform its basic functions. I tried out the egg maker today and it worked nicely. So much quicker than heating up a big pot of water. I expect to get lots of use out of it.

We ground up 10 lbs of chicken for dog food today. I can't believe it took us so long to start using the KA meat grinder. It's so easy and does such a nice job. Now to learn how to use the sausage stuffer.

Same old same old around here.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Shifted the quilt, replaced the bobbin, and plugged away on the quilt for a while this afternoon. I hit the 4th corner, so there is about 1/8th of the quilt left to do.

I'm trying to ignore the black friday sales in my in-box. "50% off everything! (on purchases over $100)" Gee, what deal. Mostly the same stuff I can get at the same price on any other sale. Will see if Monday brings anything interesting. The deals aren't what they used to be.

I've enjoyed using my little egg steamer, SD. It's great for egg sandwiches as well as hard boiled.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,354 ·
I don’t know how it is that I worked steadily all afternoon and the mess seems undiminished. I guess the visible progress is more in the bedroom, but visible or not, I got a lot done. It’s also beginning to look like a net gain in space, though I won’t know for sure until I’m finished hiding it all in it’s new places.

SD - it sounds like your perseverance is paying off on the tatting front. I await pics of the pine cones.

I added a pair of curved scissors to the order for the new pattern. Actually double curved. I haven’t used that kind before, but that seems to be a common design. I’m hoping for the best too. My current curved ones just don’t like cutting thread anymore, and since I use them for hours almost every day, it’s an aggravation I don’t need. I chose the new ones because they have large finger loops. That should be a bonus on little embroidery scissors.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Got the variegated skein finished and went back to the yellow skein I ripped out before. It looks a lot better, now that the two yellows aren't so close together. The yellows were just different enough to be a bit jarring when used so closely. I'm done with yellows once I finish with this skein, which will be soon. I'm about halfway through this rag-bag afgan and I think I'll have enough yarn set aside without having to dig through my stash again.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Making dog food today, so not as much time for tatting. I will have the green center all done shortly. Then I can start the brown pinecones. They look confusing but the instructions are pretty good, so I'm hoping once I get the first one figured out, the other nine will be easy. The hardest part for me is all the joins. Things get attached to other things by joining the new work with existing picots on the previous work. The joins have to be done as the new medallions are being created, so I can't make all the parts and then join them. It's easy to get stuff twisted around because the whole piece gets flipped frequently (reverses) and it takes me a while sometimes to get it all straight. But it's getting easier. I really like this pattern, but not done all in white. My work will look better once it's all blocked and pressed, of course.
Textile Creative arts Art Motif Symmetry

Attachments

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,357 ·
SD - That’s a cool pattern. I think it looks better in the dark thread.

The thread for the partridge ornaments is still marked up for Monday. That’s fine because I really need the gift bag Santa done first. The bags I have are too small for my friend’s present, so I’ve ordered a set of larger ones that should be here Tuesday. They will be a better size for project bags for me as well. I’m trying to get away from storing fabric things things in ziplock bags. I have my sewing fabric in plastic shoe box size containers, but they’re not as airtight.

The plan today is to finish up the book/stash shift and then cross stitch.

It’s chilly here today and is supposed to start raining mid afternoon. I need to have the neighbors get my winter stuff down from the attic, but they have friends and relatives visiting for the holiday and weekend. I’ll ask them next week or weekend.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
It's sunny and bright and not as cold today. In fact it should be a nice afternoon for this time of year. I'm going to do a little quilting. One of the cats has been nesting in it at night, and I'd like to get it finished so I can use it.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Green velour sounds so warm and pretty and Christmassy, DLR.

It's warm here, too, CH. 32, but cloudy. Typical of Minnesota in winter. We got some snow this morning.

Sounds like progress, D. It also sounds like you'll be much happier with the new arrangement. Nothing beats good, organized storage. Why did it take me 40 yrs to learn that lesson? 🤣

Dog food done. relief It's a huge help that Husby does all the dishes and helps in other ways. So that's done for 38 days. Now he's making dog biscuits. It makes me hungry every time because it smells like pasta. I love pasta.

Got the green done. The pointy end of the pinecone medallions looked complicated, but turned out not to be. I'm starting the outer ring now, but have to stop and copy the instructions line by line, like I did with the rectangular doily. The printed ones are packed all together in one long paragraph in fairly small type, so it's extremely easy to lose my place. Even though I've gotten better at frogging tatting, it's still not fun, so I'll take time to copy the instructions instead of having to pick out hundreds of knots. I'm looking forward to finishing this project so I can get some Christmas cross stitch fake-framed and hung up. How can people complain they have nothing to do?

2341 - 2360 of 2383 Posts