Frugal Village Forums banner
2401 - 2420 of 2641 Posts

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
So happy to have the quilting part finished. Now I can think about other things for a while. Have a craft gift to send out today, and should get a few holiday cards in the mail while I'm at the PO. Still have the Star Wars fabric bag to make, and gift bags to assemble for next Friday. Meanwhile DH is using the unseasonably warm weather to print gee-gaws for me to paint.

Lovely work SD.

I'm going to be busy with the quilt binding this month, won't have time to miss doing the cardinal cross stitch. Hopefully I can get the new glasses before the end of the year.

Hope everyone has a great day!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
lovely SD! I like something different besides the white doilies. finished the back of the cardigan so just need to do sleeves and trim. getting the british dvds so will pop by my mom's after work to see if she wants to watch any of them. and let her know that one of her older brothers passed from covid. she hasn't seen him in decades .don't think he was close to many relatives. my cousin messaged me ..covid but in his 80s and vaxxed I think. she wasn't sure but not the anti vax type. cases are so bad in europe now. stores must close at 5 where she is but she doesn't mind. 5 kids left out of 11 now in her family. she is one of the youngest and we are younger cousins so most cousins are in their 60s.

·
Super Moderator
20,314 Posts
Sorry about your uncle, Martha.

Love that, D! It looks like a fun project even though a lot of work.

I can imagine the relief at getting the quilting done, CH. Such a big job. I bet it's gorgeous.

DLR, I'm sure your work will be much appreciated.

I got the headband done so it's ready to try out. I hope I like it. Some days my masks stay in place just fine. Others, they just slide off. Doesn't seem to matter the style of mask or how clean my skin is or how hot or cold the weather. Very frustrating.

Today's future UFO has been made official. I bought the pattern last yr or earlier this yr during The Great Cross Stitch Splurge of 2020/2021. (Thanks, D! 🤣) Since It's a Christmas design, I'd like to get it done by Christmas but probably won't. It may depend on finding a better light arrangement. So far I don't have it completely figured out for the new furniture layout. OTOH, it's a smallish project.
Rectangle Textile Creative arts Font Art

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Oh my goodness! DC that is beautiful! So much delicate work.....

SD the snow globe is very pretty. I wouldn't mind doing that some day.

The sewing machine table looks very empty today. One of the cats has been sleeping in the quilt every night, she's going to have to find a new spot. I'd say that gives it the seal of approval. I did not get any sewing started. I took the excess backing and batting off the quilt, that was about all I had time for today. Too dark to do anything by 4pm. Sure miss that summer sun.

Still don't know what block I want to use for DH's wilderness quilt. Right now I'm leaning toward starting a simple donation quilt, variation on Rail Fence that uses two fabrics, one of which is a 2.5" strip and I have a lot of those.

Got a few more cards to write tomorrow and then all the cards, seals, return address labels, christmas stamps etc can go back into the closet.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Well, good news is the store where I got my sweaters is closing due to the owners retiring, and not COVID-related. I'm glad they're able to leave on their own terms. On the other hand, I wasn't able to pick up any new sweaters as most of their inventory is gone. Fortunately, there seems to be another store (likely closer to me anyway) that sells good Irish wool sweaters.

Got my COVID booster shot Wednesday evening. This one was worse than two original shots combined. Ended up with a fever as well a sore arm but at least the fever went away on Friday (took both days off to recover).

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Ren do value village etc sell irish knit sweaters? my mom got tons for my sister cus people get them there or for gifts and keep for a while and donate. of course some are wrecked cus of bad washing. DC nice cross stitch!

thanks SD not someone I knew. my mom hasn't seen him for decades since young. Got more details from my cousin who got it from another aunt. my mom kept a bunch of dvds to watch. now to find homes for the rest lol big bag. went downstairs to find the lanterns I got for my friend for her on clearance. still has to pay for it but no biggie but will be out of the house soon. found garbage and mess from kids of course cus...sigh.

actually snowed a little more about half an hour away. all the little birds etc has been around all day plus new ones. time to put more food out too. everyone is hungry today. pulled out ground chicken to make tacos with for dinner. will add more spices cus it needs help w ground chicken. going though the xmas hallmark and hallmark knockoffs to clear out pvr I know a few aren't worth watching the whole way so you fast forward. dh is dropping off ds and getting the baking picked up. one fruitcake is for the neighbour. otherwise just housework, laundry etc. got one side done and on to the sleeve of the cardigan. fb memories showed I made the first one 4 years ago lol

·
Super Moderator
20,314 Posts
I got the download for the new William Kent Krueger audiobook late last night, so Husby and I are both listening today. We've been waiting for weeks already and I was surprised to get it this soon. I had also gotten on the waitlist for the e book and that's still 10 weeks out. Husby was on the e book list too, so I'm happy we can both listen and move other people up the list. Krueger's books are always so hard to get. It's perfect timing since there's nothing on TV on weekends, I just started the new cross stitch UFO, and we have a big storm scheduled to arrive tonight. Should be a nice couple days of stitching by the fireplace and listening to a good story while we watch the snow pile up.

Don't know where these stupid tables came from or why I can't make them go away. 🤬

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,412 ·
SD - that sounds wonderfully cozy. I’ve been watching YouTube videos of clearing deep snow off roofs. It’s so satisfying to watch it slide off. I’m sure that’s only because I’m sitting indoors, comfortable and warm. Lol

I would be farther ahead on the ornaments if I hadn’t done the side of one wrong last night. I was too tired to fix it but I did this morning, sneaking it in before housework. I did cave to one more pattern from the same designer. It’s an advent, more or less, project - a Christmas tree with a tiny ornament released every day until Christmas. I wasn’t going to do it, but the ones I’ve seen posted are cute, so I decided to add it. Once I get the tree done, it’s very little time commitment. There’s an all over stitched background, but I probably won’t do that. Anyway, I wanted to get to use the new silver metallic. I’m doing it on dark green so it will shine.

The second 123 order with the fabric shipped yesterday, but the one with the early bird pattern was delayed. The pattern was expected to be available today. It’s the order with the scissors so I’ll be glad when it arrives.

I finally had to wash the gift bags which I had hoped to avoid. As expected, they shrank, but after some aggressive ironing it’s somewhat less than it first looked. I’m just hoping they’re still large enough to hold the goodies. It would be such a shame if I had to leave out the chocolates and eat them myself.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Was a beautiful day. Wasted it with an e-book. It has been unseasonably warm, so much so that our AC kicked on!

Looked at the rail fence pattern, it uses 5/8 yd of fabric A and 1.25 yds of fabric B. I can make 6 with the remnants I've collected, without it getting scrappy. I used rubber bands to bundle the fabric sets for now. Saved two to work on over the winter. No quilt bee this month.

DC, hope you get your project fixed. Shame about the fabric bags and the chocolate. Maybe small bags for the candy?

Ren, hope you find a nice sweater. I remember seeing them on our Ireland trip a few years back, but they were way out of my budget. Rarely gets that cold here anyway.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Martha - never heard of value village. The stores I bought my Irish sweaters from are small local shops so I don't mind doing a bit of leg work to get them.

CH - I'm slowly acquiring more wool sweaters since they're really warm. I have a lot of non-wool (I think acrylic) sweaters I'll donate to a local clothing drive (either the charity at the farmer's market or one of the local churches).

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,416 ·
It’s finally Sunday! Waiting for the announcement of the 2022 botanical sal has been like waiting for Christmas when I was five. This year it has sections of foliage and not just flowers. I’ll do the formal garden layout. I also have a piece of Aida printed with a honeycomb design, too small for the garden but I might do something with that too. The layouts and borders are posted, the fills start Jan 1.

·
Super Moderator
20,314 Posts
DLR, I love usng my phone for audiobooks. I made a cloth pocket wih a neck strap to carry my phone if I'm moving around, bought 3 phone stands for both of us to use in various spots in the house, use headphones or earbuds if I'm around noisy stuff like microwaves or sewing machines, and got a little bluetooth speaker next to my recliner. I use all my options and am happy to have all of them.

I got the 3 ornaments stitched and most of the poinsettia on the lid done, so the new UFO is going well so far.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I am close to finishing my three kind of holiday theme decorations. They are a little big for ornaments. Well my mom just tacks them onto a cork board she has. She is in a nursing home so she does not have a tree.

I am thinking that for next year, I might try doing something with free form crochet. I have a bunch of random yarn, but it is not all the same weight. But I think with freeform crochet, I can combine different weights together.

I feel like there are so many parts of my life I can't plan ahead for because I don't know what the world will be like next year or really any time in the future. But craft projects are something I can plan for. So it gives me at least some feeling of self control.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
I started a quick quilt project today.

Rectangle Blue Orange Line Wall

It's only 2 fabrics, which is not something I normally do. This one is called Cutting Corners, but I have also seen it called Stepping Up, or Lightning. And it reminds me very much of Rail Fence, which usually has 3 pieces per blocks, but can be made with two.

Already sewn the strip sets together. Tomorrow I'll iron and cut.

2401 - 2420 of 2641 Posts