Frugal Village Forums banner

241 - 260 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I am feeling laid back about snow and cold since I don't have to go outside.

I finished the ladybug. I filled in with random stitching. It put the picture in an odd place, but oh well.

Okay work on the dolls next. I have a general idea for the clothes, just not specific details. Next week I am attending a virtual conference at work. I plan on doing a bit of stitching and listening

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
love the ladybug! better to share if you don't like it much. I did the trick for first time dry oats into the bacon grease in a pan to be soaked up and then to the crows tomorrow. overcooked the bacon so most when to them this morning. I need to do a pantry challenge and use up stuff but then that requires nagging the family not to waste but eat what is needed. like the apples. shopped today w my mom $$$ and think what did I buy. had to reorg the upright freezer and pulled some things out for meals. more cranky seniors..like really the stores aren't busy so plenty of space for everyone. seems to be like clockwork every month but not at full moon. well got the cool whip out and into the fridge. got couple lava cakes etc. and my favourite ice cream tin lizzy cheesecake. only at one store. caramel ribbons, pralines cheesecake flavour. ice cream doesn't last in this house so maybe this one will lol

knotme..look at scouts, girl guides etc they are having a lot of things to do online. People have gotten in the swing of online. Free escape rooms, presentations , crafts etc. really it is having someone else too to monitor mute and unmute too. scavenger hunts in the house. things go faster then you think too. You can get paid online presentations too. like I did cinnamon applesauce ornaments. think they are working though music now ..make your own instruments etc as long as they get info and enough advanced notice. apparently with the older teens they are getting more involved in the online meetings then when they met in person.

well realized my sides were getting smaller so had to frog all the work I have done and restart. someone posted pics of the new colours of cotton and baby cakes of the caron cakes coming out and ..yes have seen ones I want! maybe they will come back out with the colour I am using now ..they didn't before so this blanket will have main body one colour way and do a border of similar one.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I wanted to clarify. I am happy about how the ladybug turned out. But I tried to get the picture to be later in the post. I could not get it to put the picture where I wanted it.

For the dolls, I plan to wrap cloth around for a kimono style dress. Basically it is a long wrap dress with a really wide belt. I will see fabric to felt to make it stiff enough to stay up. There is sometimes a contrasting edge or under kimono, so I will make the fabric slightly narrower than the felt. The wide belt will be ribbon.

Two tricky parts. There is kind of a v shape in the top front. I also want to cover the "shoulders" of the doll. The peg dolls don't have arms, but there is a part where it goes in a little just under the head. I think I might use thread to loosely gather the felt.

I will practice making templates with my cheap craft felt. I will use my good felt for the actual outfit

·
Registered
555 Posts
our meetings will be once or twice a month. I can't ask girls or parents until after this Sunday. That will be when they announce that I will be doing this with the girls. I have looked on line and have lots of ideas to start with so I am good for a few of our meetings. Thank you for the suggestion. When it is warmer out I do plan on a nature walk with them, and I do plan on having them make journals to start with, get their favourite colours, put together a kit and drop off at their house where they can put it together. so Ideas are there thank goodness. I was able to finish off another skein of yarn on the one afghan so now on to skein #4. Yay. when this skein is finished then I am over half done on this afghan. today is watching the grands while DD is getting some dental work done, so not much else will happen there.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
yes it is easier when you can get together and do stuff. I dropped out of scouts recently cus other women leader is one of those can't have other women leaders and must do it all narcissist behaviour. and the men just listen cus they don't know that is not normal or used to listening to wifes lol her kids barely get to take part of the zoom meetings and it is suppose to be about them. so don't need more toxic in my life. enough about that! lol

redoing the blanket though the itch to start something new is there! cold bit of snow but not as bad as most of you. cats are like no cold sleeping. dcompton my mom used to foster senior cats for local cat society plus all her own cats. but does take work and med care. they always laster years longer then they were suppose too w her care. but the last couple passed last year so she just has the one cat now that was a stray. I am sure there will be more lol always ones she feeds in the yard. The lady who ran the society retired too, she had started it and city took over w new improved shelter.

inside day tv and housework and crochet.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Bitterly cold and just snowing lightly all day. Not really accumulating. Cold and not feeling up to doing anything, really.

Have been waiting for the guild newsletter to show up. Found out today on FB that Feb events are cancelled. Newsletter was dated Jan 28 but I never got it. Haven't received the mystery quilt instructions yet either. Someone in the guild is taking fabric scraps to make dog beds.... maybe if I ever make it to a meeting. I composted the last bag of cotton scraps. They are also asking if people can make Barbie doll clothes for the children's shelter. I think I have a couple patterns from when DH's kids were little. It would be something different to do. They are doing a Zoom quilt-along thing later this month but I can't sew and use the computer at the same time.

I hated scouts because it was rarely fun and too competitive. We couldn't relax and do our own thing, it had to be a contest. The girls whose mother was scout leader always "won" any events we had.

Knotme, having a journal to decorate sounds like a fun project to do at home. There's so much inspiration on Pinterest.

One of the thrift store shirts I bought yesterday turns out to have been modified with velcro under the buttons. Debating picking all that out and sewing the buttons back in. Will see how it wears after I wash the stale thrift store smell out of it.

Stay warm everyone.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
Beautiful, D. Love the vibrant colors.

CH, you need patterns and dolls to fit the newer Barbies. They changed the bodies to be more realistic, but I'm not sure exactly when. Sometimes you can get them cheap at thrifts, but you have to know which are the newer ones. It's hard to sew the clothes without a doll to try them on.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Good point, SD. The patterns I have are at least 20 years old and the new dolls are different. Of course, I don't know what kind of dolls these girls have. I was thinking I might do some simple wrap dresses, overlapping in the back with a tie sewn at the waist. It could adjust to different brands of dolls.

DC, the mandalas are stunning. Love the brilliant colors you used.

My bread came out well. I really do like the 5-minute recipe for plain white bread.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
yes bad leaders wreck for the kids.. guides was cliquey just sucks for the kids. there are free patterns online for the barbies but yes they have changed plus there are more plus size ones too. but if you make more forgiving pattern styles too.
love the cross stitch dcompton.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When I was little I planned on joining girl scouts. But my friend said that the she heard the girl scout leader was not a nice person. (Not the exact words she used.). So we joined camp fire girls instead. It was a fun group.

I got the pattern template done for the peg dolls. I have six straight body dolls and six dolls that have kind of an A line dress body. This template will be for the straight body dolls. I think I will do something with stretchy fabric for the other dolls.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
We’re getting some off and on rain, but it’s light. It’s cold but not crazy cold like it will be in a few days. The latest forecast shows a low of 6 on Monday night, with some snow for a couple of days. SD - please take Minnesota back. I don’t mind it straying down here in the summer, but it is not welcome in winter.

I’m getting a start on the pattern using the tatting thread. I do like it for blackwork. It makes a cleaner line than floss because it doesn’t fuzz. The dark brown came, but I found a piece of gray hiding out in the stack so I switched to that. I’ll use the brown for something in autumn colors. The 18 count for the bugs from an Amazon seller has been shown as out for delivery for three days now. I hope it will finally come. Before it has shown it as out for deliery in Shreveport,but today it’s showing Gloster, the little nearby town, so maybe it’s finally on the right truck.

My house is untrainable and it is still refusing to pick up it’s mess and clean it’s kitchen, so I guess I’ll just have to do it myself.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Knotme, glad you have some ideas already.

Been getting snow every few days. I'm still impressed that the siding guys are still working out in the cold and damp. It's cold but not the deep cold it could have been.

Working on the stash-gan. It's been odd the past couple of days, working with the smaller hook after working with a larger one for the past couple of months.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
R - I always find it awkward for a bit after switching to a really different size hook.

I am beyond annoyed with myself. The 18 white was finally delivered today, but so late I didn’t go out to the mailbox to pick it up. But do you remember when I ordered it I said I could hardly believe I didn’t have 18 white. Well, I found it tonight. A big piece. It was lurking in the 20/22 stack. A little stack. I just never occurred to me to look there because I seldom have reason to pull it out. I got it out thinking it was 20 to see how lettering would look on it for the names on the flower sal. About three letters into “freesia” I thought it was working fine. Then I thought - but wait. This feels like 18. Grrrrrr. So it is. I didn’t measure it, but it’s probably large enough for both the bugs and and the flowers. I probably didn’t need to buy the new one at all.

They’re closing part of the interstate now, but it looks like it will only drop below freezing for two or three hours before dawn. The bridges will ice and maybe the road surface if it’s still wet, but the ground won’t be that cold yet. By the time the real winter mix and snow starts Sunday night it will be, so accumulation is expected. If it’s much ice we will almost certainly lose power.

Stitch now before my fingers freeze - lol

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
We are doomed. The forecast has changed a lot of the snow accumulation to the dreaded ice and snow accumulation. Potentially a lot of it. Off and on, mostly off for a bit yet, with the serious stuff starting Sunday night. There goes my second covid vaccination that was scheduled for Wednesday.

I started a bit on the bug sampler last night, but I’m not keen on the braided outlines. It seems to overpower the small boxes. I changed from the dark green I planned to use to a medium gray and that should help. Since it’s an easy pattern to stitch I’ll just carry on. The boxes are different sizes and to get them to fit I can’t change the border width and I think that’s what feels off rather than the braid itself.

I’ve also decided how I want to do the flowers so I’ll get that started too. Both the 2020 and 2021 sal use the same size boxes and style, so I’ll combine them, and have a large flower sampler. Some flowers are used both years, but most are different. Where there are repeats, I’ll choose the one I like best, or if I really like both might use both. I’ll get a little started on that today. Once it’s underway it’s easy to pick up and add a few stitches.

Peppermint Purple has started a short SAL for Easter, a colorful egg wreath. That’s short term so I will do that. I’ve never done anything Easter themed. At least not that I remember. Her main sal and the flowers are year long. The bugs will take forever too. I’ll at least get the mandalas and eggs finished relatively quickly.

It looks like 2021 is turning into the year of blackwork, despite all the alluring new cross stitch kits. So much stitching and not enough time.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Take care, DC. From here the forecast looks really bad for you guys. I hope you don't get much ice or lose power. It is 5 here right now and I don't know how cold it is going to get.

Made a quilt today. It is 6x8 made with 6" squares. Used up the last of the grey dot fabric with the bear (monkey?) faces, and the last of the roly-poly pandas, and a piece of blue and green polka-dot, a small piece of solid grey, and a few squares of grey print. Very rag-bag, but I put in a mottled orange and a green print to brighten it up and managed to design it in diagonal stripes, for the most part. They can't all be perfect.

Here it is, not completely sewn yet. I have a few more seams for tomorrow.

Stay warm, everyone.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Just doing cross-stitch here - a pink-purple tulip design. Ready for some spring flowers. I looked at the decorator/upholstery fabric and am glad I brought it home, most has pleasing designs and colors. I saw many ideas on the internet including making table runners. Future projects.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
We're getting mixed precip in my area as well. But it looks like it's going to start off as mostly snow then turn icy. Hopefully it won't cause any power outages, although it looks like the storm's going to pass through quickly. Since about half of it is going to be snow, the icing shouldn't be too bad.

The second of the afgans I made for a friend is ready to go out today. Just waiting for the Post Office to open.

Working on a stash-lapgan. I'm not sure if I have enough yarn to complete it yet. I'll have to go though the lower couple of boxes to see if I can find more of the simply soft style yarn. I do have some yarn left over from my friend's afgans but I think there are enough of those to make separate lapgans.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Today has to be a busy one. I need to cook some things I would be willing to eat cold and do some laundry while we still have power. Get everything charged. Also check what extra blankets and such I have down here. I have some in the attic but probably won’t need those. On the other hand, I might ask the neighbors to bring them down. It won’t hurt to have them. We are being told to prepare for 3-4 days without power with the temps in the teens. Brrrrr. All crafting on hold while I batten down the hatches.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Might see flurries later, right now it is just damn cold. Planning to stay in and craft or bake.

DC, your little house will get awfully cold very quickly, better to have the extra blankets than not. Take care! Hope it is over soon.

Almost bought some fabric online this morning then decided I didn't want to pay shipping, and I don't want to buy enough for free shipping.

Dlr, glad the fabric is useful. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Reactions: marthamfi
241 - 260 of 345 Posts