Frugal Village Forums banner
2601 - 2620 of 2641 Posts

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
D, Coffee Shop is 18 ct, Husby's kids and tree is 14. This is Husby's. Disregard the upper right side because he serged it wrong, long story.
I wonder if the serger caused it to become wonky. I know I have used it in the past to make ruffled edging. It's easy to stretch fabric while serging. Just a thought. Both pieces look beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
20,321 Posts
Thanks. It's not the serger. Lots of sizing in the aida cloth, and it was flat when the projects were started. We've never had a problem with anything we've overcast over yrs. Other stuff, yeah, but not that.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The grab-bag afgan is coming along. Looks like this one is going to be mostly blues and greys, despite the early bit of color from the scrappy bits. Of course, that can change if the skeins I've pulled out so far aren't enough to finish it. :lol:

Starting to collect more scrappy bits. I want to make myself a scrappy afgan since I really love how the scrappy section of the current grab-bag afgan turned out. But that's going to take a while since I'm going to need quite a bit of scraps. The one ball of scrappy bit I had and used only turned out to be just over a skein's worth of yarn.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,604 ·
It’s supposed to get up to 79 today. The forecast is for 70s with several days of possible rain or thunderstorms. My arthritis is not going to be happy, but that gives me more guilt free stitching time. Some clouds really do have silver linings.

Actually one of my New Years resolutions is going to be to stop fretting about the housework. It is what it is and affects no one but me anyway. It’s just that I have nagging memories of being a good housekeeper, living in a clean and orderly space, but I was young and spry then. Lol.

I finished the sal layout yesterday and lowered my border ambitions. I’m just going to use two cable patterns around it. They’re easy and quick to stitch. I’ll have to invent something for the corners.

The last of the 123 Stitch orders are out for delivery - the fabric that was finally back in stock, the sparklies, and the back ordered pattern. That leaves only a couple of kits that should be here sometime in January.

Another job that needs to be done soon is to cull the isopods again - they multiply like crazy - and renew the substrate. I’m going to keep only the larger tank set up because I’m tired of having the smaller one on my worktable and there’s really not another good place for it. I only plan on keeping them until I use up all the substrate I have on hand. I’ve enjoyed them but they were never intended to be a forever project.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Warm and a little cloudy today. Bright enough to sew.

The Accuquilt sale continues. It's crazy how much people are spending, buying multiple cutters and boxed sets. And post-christmas fabric sales continue. There are some good deals if you're in a buying mood. Thankfully I'm not right now.

Planning a day out tomorrow, will look and see how crowded stores are before I go inside. Wouldn't mind finding some holiday candles on clearance, haven't bought any in over a year and stash is getting low. Don't need or want more gift/decor clutter, or baked goods.

Big trash day tomorrow, and we've filled the donation bin again, so I may take that with me too.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
lovely needlework! minus 13c or 9f here but sunny 19 yesterday so lots of hungry animals outside. dh fixed my electric carpet sweeper handle again. cus sunny so all the cat hair etc is showing, I need to run it a couple times a day here. I broke the last repair by trying to clean the roller. dd had taken it downstairs to vacuum her room..which hasn't been done in ages so was a thick roll of hair I had to cut out. she could have used the vacuum downstairs. have the go to michaels urge for clearance lol so will see. trying to ignore stuff but.. maybe when allergy pill kicks in lol

almost finished the hat. we are watching elves on netflix..watched death to 2021 first. ds keeps staying up until 2am and his alarm going off at 6am which wakes dh but not him. last night he went to bed and then my big anniversary yarn jumped off the top of armoire on too him lol he came out saying think it is trying to tell us something. it is going to be a granny square but rectangle one lines instead square. but I will do the two granny stitch hats first out of the go around yarn. pattern made from them too downloaded from yarnsinspirations.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
It's not only nearly done, it's really most sincerely done:

Brown Rectangle Textile Purple Creative arts

Done and on the bed. We'll see how it feels tonight. Little black kitty loves it and has been sleeping on it all week when I'm not sewing.

Next project should go quick, making a little purse as a gift. Going to look at my list of things to complete in 2021 and see how I did. Then re-write the list for 2022.

Watched the beginning of the new Around the World in 80 Days TV show. They've changed things (yet again) in the story, but it looks entertaining. We're going to watch part 2 tonight.

·
Super Moderator
20,321 Posts
That looks like it was most sincerely a lot of work, CH. But beautiful as always.

Martha, too funny about the attack of the yarn! 🤣

I couldn't get started on Coffee Shoppe for a while this morning, but finally did. It's gone well. That's usually how it is when I procrastinate about stuff like this. beating head on wall I finished almost everything except white and whatever stitches I've missed. I'll start on that tomorrow. It's starting to look much better now that the presents and trees are mostly done. It's a relief to have all the thread changes done for those. And working on it was fun again. Glad the procrastinating is over. I'm looking forward to starting Toy Shoppe. I hope I get that done by next Christmas so the set is all finished.
Rectangle Window Textile Creative arts Art

I made a little needle box today using a tiny box from Lift-Off Tabs (remember those?) and a scrap of flannel. I haven't had a good way to keep track of embroidery needles during active projects, so this will be a big help. The little box is perfect and fits nicely in the zipper case in my new project bag.
Purple Rectangle Pink Violet Font

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,609 ·
CH and SD - two beautiful projects! CH - how long did that take you? It looks like the answer should be decades.

I finished the border on one side of the garden sal, then did a short section on the other three sides so I can carry on without looking at a pattern. I should be able to have it finished when the first fill comes out. I’ll also get a start on the bug sampler. It would be nice to finish it over the next year but it’s not a high priority. The early bird pattern will take no time to do, and then I’ll pick a small kit or pattern to start on.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
DC, IIRC I started cutting in late summer 2019. Had a lot of blocks made when COVID hit, but didn't get it assembled until this year. I first saw the design on quilt magazine in the early 2000's.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,611 ·
🎉❌ woohoo! We just canceled New Year’s gatherings too. I sound like such a grinch, but celebrating has just never been high on my list. I enjoy the gatherings while I’m there, but am always relieved when it’s over and I can just go home. Lol.

I put away two things from the living room mess. At this rate I should be finished sometime in August. Who cares? I want to start the early bird pattern.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
I would do several greens, then it will have some texture and you won't get bored sewing it.

Joann's was pretty wiped out when I got there today. Not that they had a lot this year to begin with. I got a few small gift bags and more christmas socks. The remnant bins were very nearly empty, not even fleece. I got two nice woodsy/pine candles at 70% off, they were ~$7 each. Half what BedBath was asking for the same size jar. (and theirs were 50% off too)

·
Super Moderator
20,321 Posts
I would use a variety of colors, but I'm not a fan of either monotonous projects or monochrome art, generally speaking. If you want to stick with using the supplies you have, and you like the look, the result will be beautiful regardless which method you choose.

I think I FINALLY have all the cross stitching done on Coffee Shoppe, except the white. That will take a while but there aren't any big areas so it should be less boring. Then the fun part, backstitching. I won't be sorry to see the end of this project.

I enlarged the chart for Toy Shoppe and got the 6 resulting pieces taped together, ready to go. Then I figured out where I want to start that and got 3 colors colored in. All the tedious stuff. I made two little slip cases for our magnifying rulers to help protect them from scratching. I need to get back to using my ruler all the time, since it's a big help once I get used to it again. The only thing left to sew for my cross stitch project bag is a pocket to hold the zipper bag and other small items. At least, it'll be the last thing till I think of something else.

I also made a test batch of a new garlic bread seasoning recipe. Big deal, it took like 3 minutes. But I tried it for supper and it's a keeper. It might even be a lifetime recipe. Very good.

Garlic Bread Seasoning
¼ c. Grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Basil
1 tsp. Parsley
Place ingredients in shaker jar and shake to mix well. Store in fridge. To use, mix seasoning to taste with butter to make a spread, or spread butter on bread and shake mix onto bread. Broil till bread is toasted and crisp. Can also be used on salad, veggies, pasta, etc.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
It's going to be a quiet, cold day at home. I think I will take the day "off" and just relax. Been pushing to get things done by the end of the month and I think I need a day to not do anything. Well, I'll be making chili, that's enough of a project for today.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I am enjoying my new puzzle. It has letters printed on the back so you can double check if two pieces are the correct fit. It would be my new favorite brand except. . .

The puzzles are all round with 26 inch diameter. The larger of my two puzzle boards are 24 inches for the smallest size. I will finish this one but I am on the fence about more from this branch.

I am taking it fairly easy today after completing a particularly annoying required training this morning. We have lots of required training - since it is mandatory there does not seem to be any effort made in the quality of the training. As a result, most of it is dull, wordy and just not explained very well.

·
Super Moderator
20,321 Posts
Coffee Shoppe is coming along nicely. Even with all the skipped stitches I'm finding, I expect to get all the white done today. The end is near!

Sometimes a day like that can work wonders, CH.

We ordered 2 puzzles this morning, too. I never thought we'd be buying puzzles retail, but since we don't shop secondhand anymore, we can't pick them up on the cheap. Still have some more to work through from stash, but the new ones are a Christmas splurge.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,620 · (Edited)
CH - I can definitely relate. Yesterday and today I’ve just not been in the mood to do anything. Even stitching. I’ve been just sitting like a slug binge watching YouTube. Maybe it’s the weather. Around 80, icky humid.

I did make myself go over to the table and make color decisions for the garden and bugs. I cut fabric for the bugs and another blackwork piece. When I was looking for bug colors I tried some variegated, and by chance I set the thread down on different piece of fabric and really liked it, though it’s not a combination I would ever have deliberately tried. I cut the fabric to lock it in place before I forget it. The fabric is a light aqua and the thread is mostly brown with a bit of blue green. I’ll use it for one of the square geometric patterns I have.

and that’s all I’ve done since 8:30 this morning.

2601 - 2620 of 2641 Posts