Frugal Village Forums banner

281 - 300 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
DC, I hope you get through this okay.

It seems like the less snow a place gets, the worse they are at handling this.

I live in an area that gets an average of 13 to 15 inches of snow a year. But we do not handle snow as well.

This is one of the issues my husband has with moving to a place with more snow than DC. He seems to be thinking about places getting more snow than we have, but still are just as bad at dealing with snow.

But I think Indianapolis may be in the running again. My husband has really missed our D&D group during this pandemic. Indy has a games store with open gaming in an area that also has lots of other nice things within walking distance. The rent is high for Indy, but low compared to DC area prices.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Places like Texas are completely unprepared for snow for good reason. They get so little of it and it typically melts within 12 hours that there's no point in keeping equipment for it. I was there in '85 when it snowed in San Antonio and the city shut down completely. And again in north texas in the 90's when they had snow a few times, the advice is always STAY HOME! And people don't. Heck, we get snow all the time here and people still ignore the warnings to stay home. I think though, that they REALLY did not expect all the windmills to freeze up and stop supplying power. Part of the problem is that it is SO cold over such a wide area that the interdependencies that midwest states have for power usage is just so strained right now that nobody can get any extra electricity.

Anyway, it was sunny here today so I took advantage of the natural light and sewed. Took two stacks of charm squares, chopped up 3/4 of a yard of white fabric and made half square triangles. Now I have 52 4" HSTs and need to see what size quilt top that makes. I probably have to add more, but I have a shoebox full of random charm squares I can toss in. I think I'll be able to make two quilts in this style.

Succumbed to the deal of the day: 42 10" squares. I think I will make myself a new lap quilt.

More snow due tonight and tomorrow, whee.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
CH - I like the pack of squares.

The power came on, went off again about four hours later, was off an hour, then back on. The company has said to expect this over the next few days. I just hope we have the rolling outages instead of an outage from damage. CH - you’re right about Texas. I grew up in Ft Worth. The only place that gets really serious winter weather is the Panhandle, the bit sticks up by itself into what ought to be Oklahoma. They can have some awful stuff there. The rest of the state, especially the more southern parts of it, are totally unprepared. We can salt/sand bridges and some overpasses, maybe some really major roads, but that’s about it. It’s pretty amazing for our paltry snow to be there the the second day. Ice can be a problem though.

I’ve done some stitching today, but have taken out about as much as I’ve put in, trying to get a color right. It’s a chick in an Easter pattern. The pattern calls for an almost orange that I don’t want to use, but yellows don’t show up. I’ve finally settled on a orangey yellow, not chick color, but at least not a pumpkin with a beak.

I hope SD isn’t completely frozen.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
We're fine here, and warming up. Supposed to be +30 by Sunday, about an 80 degree turnaround. People will be breaking out the shorts all over the arrowhead. Not kidding. Duluth had 10 straight days of subzero highs. We were about the same with a few +single digit highs. One of our nearby weather stations hit -50, air temp not wind chill. I know we didn't get that cold because the furnaces didn't quit, so that was lucky.

Texas only gets around 20% of its power from wind turbines. They are having system-wide failures, not just the turbines. Most of Texas isn't connected to the national grid, so they can't get power from elsewhere. Texas leadership didn't want to follow federal regs requiring winterizing, so they decided to go it alone. Guess that didn't work out too well. Wind turbines function just fine in cold climates all over the world. My guess is the problem in TX goes back to deregulation of winterization. Hope they learned a lesson.

I'm jealous of the ornaments kit, D. That's so gorgeous. The Russians do incredible, unique beadwork, too.

Nothing going on here, luckily. I'm starting to think the constant pain in my arms is going to be permanent. It's been over a year. I don't know how I can do any less to try and heal. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
SD and dc - glad you're both staying warm.

We're getting another round of snow today. The snow hadn't completely melted from the last rounds of snow and that's not just the heaps of the stuff from clearing the roads, etc. Looks like we'll get two rounds of it, one today and one tomorrow, although we'll be getting snow showers throughout the night as well. But the forecasts are saying next week will be warmer. Whether or not that's the actual case remains to be seen. I usually say that Nature doesn't bother looking at the weather forecast.

Got a good portion of skein #3 of my stash-lapgan done. I think I'm about halfway through the skein. I think I had been using the skein for a scarf at some point but never bothered finishing it. So I frogged it and am using it in this lapgan. I ended up preferring to use wool yarn for scarves since I larp where we might have a fire (in the fireplace or a fire pit). (Wool has a better heat resistance than acrylic.)

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
It's +1 at 7 AM. Big improvement over the usual -38 we've had lately. I think this will probably be the last of the super cold weather for this winter, since it's almost March. It's been a mild winter here. Our only cold related issue has been a shattered dog door. Can't complain. Much. I hope we get some snow.

Still not going in stores and won't. Predictions are too dire regarding variants, way too many selfish maskholes, too many people having home parties, too little need for anything besides groceries and meds. We'll wait.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I've sewn myself into a corner. My 52 HST will only cover a 24x32" area, so I need to come up with a lot more fabric. I'm sure I can find something eventually.

Ren, hope your snow passes soon. The last of the arctic air is supposed to be gone from here by Saturday, though some may linger in the northeast for a few more days. I am ready for spring.

SD, sorry to hear you're still having pain. The PT I insisted on has done wonders. Last night I was able to hold my arms up and braid my hair for the first time in years, with no pain.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Our luck ran out. No power today. I heard of a large pine that has fallen across a major access road taking the power lines down with it. I’m sure there are others. Glittery ice covered trees are pretty but are bad news all around for both trees and people. It may inch up to 34 for a couple of hours late afternoon, but that won’t help much. It’s still cloudy and there may be some snow showers in the afternoon. The company hasn’t even ventured a guess about when it will be restored.

I will try to work on one of the blackwork projects but I may just be too cold. I Gould get out the afghan I started, but I can’t work up any enthusiasm for it.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Woohoo! Power restored about 10:15 tonight. It hasn’t been windy so the temp in the house only dropped to 57. The older I get, the more I feel cold, so it was pretty uncomfortable, but I’m grateful it was no worse.

I’m stitching a little tonight but it’s mostly been a lost day. I will love having hot water again.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
dc - glad your power's back.

I think we're going to get a second round of (likely light) snow today. I usually wash my clothes on Fridays but I may push that off until either later tonight or tomorrow (Saturday). I mostly want to wait for the snow and iciness to be done. Thankfully, we didn't get much in the way of icing but even a little is a pain.

Got a little bit more done on my stash lapgan. Not sure if I'm going to switch up some of the remaining skeins and use at least one skein in another potential lapgan. I know I have some pastel colored yarn left over from another afgan but I'm not sure if I have enough of those left to make a lapgan.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Ren, hope the snow/ice isn't too bad. I think we're getting one more round this weekend, too.

My impulse fabric buy came today. Delivery person left it in the snow. Fortunately it wasn't damaged. I'm very happy with the cheerful prints. It's going to make a lovely lap quilt. Almost pulled the trigger on some strips this morning, but stopped at the last minute.

This sewing caddy is so cute. It would be adorable on the couch until the cats got into it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
that is cute for about 2mins until pets or kids your fabric is lovely. hope everyone is ok no burst pipes etc. gapbentin is good for the pain been on it for years but more for back now. our cold snap is gone so rain and sun ..animals still looking for food and fat.

Haven't done much craft wise did start a gaiter or cowl to use up rest of cake so it will go w hat. tired of looking at valentines stuff so that will come down. spent more money today..ordered heart and home channel so I can watch when calls the heart. filmed about 30mins away from here. plus lots of hallmark shows not on other channels. I like the mysteries etc. seems like producers forgot that there was a whole crowd of people that watched murder she wrote or columbo. there is carter and hudson & rex but not quite the same. of course always plenty british ones.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
CH - the snow and ice aren't too bad (other than having to dig out my car). Thankfully, the freezing rain/sleet happened after the main portion of snow on Thursday. So it was more of a crust on top of about 4 inches of snow. It did snow for most of the day yesterday as well but that was just light stuff and no real added accumulation. Finally sunny and clear this morning. There's some icing on the trees but I'll see how the roads are soon. The complex hired landscapers who also do snow removal during the winter and they generally do a good job. The driving parts of the roads and the sidewalks get cleared quickly (and they do a better job than the township does a lot of the times, it seems). The main annoyance (and it's not the crews' fault) is that it sometimes takes a few days to get them to clear out the empty parking spots. Then again, it's even more annoying when people don't move their cars so that crews can get in to clear the parking spaces. Or clear around their cars themselves, especially this winter when a lot of people are working from home and don't need to drive.

Still working on the stash lapgan. Getting close to finishing skein #3. I think I might not need all the skeins I set aside for this project. I think, depending on if I still have leftover skeins from this project, I'll use those skeins in another project since they're a light (almost pastel) blue. I have other pastel like colors. But I'll hold off on the pastel stash-gan until I finish using up the leftover yarn from my friend's two afgans. That way, it'll be a lot easier to look through my bins.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #295 (Edited)
We’re about finished with it all. Last night, in the upper teens, was the end of the serious cold. Tonight we’re looking at 28, then lows will hover around freezing for a few days. Today will be in the upper 40s, starting the trend back up. The snow won’t last long. We had fog and the trees were all thick with frost this morning. Very pretty.

I have some small blackwork patterns and would like to do those along to move the downloads off my phone. I finished up a little cat last night. The next mandala sal part comes out Monday - only two left - so before I get that I plan to spend today and tomorrow working on the daffodil tiles for Sharon. I’ve been ignoring it for too long.

I really like the sulky 30 wt thread on 18 count that I got for the bugs. When I finally decided what to do with the flower sal, combining last year’s and the current one, I want to use that because it will be large. I ordered some flower colors that have shipped but they’re coming from Georgia so obviously going nowhere at present. Ill be glad when they finally arrive so I can get that underway.

Today for the first time in a week I’ve put the heat back to where I normally keep it for winter so I can stop huddling under a quilt and start imposing a little order on the house again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
Sunny and 26 here. Finally, some warm weather.

Still spending my days playing with phone. Boring, mostly.

Wish media would get it right, officials, too. Pipes don't freeze, then burst after they warm up. They burst because they freeze, then leak as the ice thaws out. I keep seeing water running all over buildings on TV. It appears lots of people don't know how to shut off water to their houses. Everyone should know that, Home Ownership 101, how to shut off water, power, gas in an emergency. They could have minimized damage. What a mess down south. 2020 just won't leave. It will take yrs to put Texas back together.

I've never understood why southern houses are so poorly insulated. Yeah, yeah, I know they don't usually have to ward off extreme cold, but extreme heat costs a crapton of money to deal with in poorly insulated buildings, too.

I finally looked up multigrain hot cereal. I found a bread recipe I want to try, but I try to avoid buying ingredients I only use in one recipe. But my research leads me to believe the whole grain mix I make for a bread additive is probably close enough. I'm going to give it a try. We like multigrain breads, so I hope it's a soft bread for sandwiches. That would be a big win if I can find a lifetime multigrain recipe we like, with bonus points if it comes out good in a bread machine. To think, I almost got rid of my bread machines when we got the KA mixer. Now that I have one with crust selection, I really love it.

Kinda looking forward to spring, although I don't know why. Still won't be able to go anywhere. I hope we get the last few mods done on the camper this yr, and of course there are still garden projects, if I'm able to help. Still need the parcel box and shed for generator built, too. Always something to do.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
SD - looking forward to spring too. I think that's because I can actually get outside and take walks (properly distanced, of course) and get some work done in the community garden. If nothing else, I'm looking forward to hanging out at the picnic table by the garden since most people don't do that. They'll walk around the area but not actually that close to where the table or benches are.

Got some work done on the lapgan but spent more time on worldbuilding for my story. Then again, I haven't done much work on the worldbuilding for the past couple of weeks and I don't have any deadlines on making the lapgan. And the day seemed to go by really quickly today.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have not been doing too much craft stuff lately. I had plans for doing a bunch of crafting while attending a two day virtual conference at work. But the connection was really bad so I did not watch it. The whole thing is recorded so I can watch it gradually next week and the week after.

I did the preconference which had an interesting bit on urban gardening. Not back yard gardening, but making community gardens from vacant lots. One city had a community composting called Peels on Wheels.

Right now I am planning on doing some non visible fixes to some of my shirts. I have shirts with shoulder seems that don't feel good, so I am sewing little bits of cloth inside to cover it up. My first attempt was a mess, but I think I learned from it.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
We have grass again! Snow is gone except for tiny bits here and there. I just want everything to get back on track. My thread orders, 2 of them, are from Georgia. I’m tired of waiting for them.

I have finished 6 of the twelve tile patterns on the Sharon project, so I’m making slow progress on that. The fifth part of the mandala sal is out and looks like it may not take as long as some of the others, so that’s up now to get that out the way. The last one coming in two weeks covers more area and depending on the design may be pretty time consuming.

281 - 300 of 345 Posts