Frugal Village Forums banner

561 - 580 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I like the tote bags. Using the dinner napkins was a good idea. That vintage swirly fabric looks good with the yellow. That would be a good use for some fabric I have that is a little too heavy to quilt with, but right now I have so many of the non-woven totes I keep getting for free.....

Baby quilt is finished. Glad that is done. I will piece some charm squares for a donation quilt this afternoon. They are going to have an in-person quilt bee this month and I will be fully vaccinated by then. :p Speaking of which, I got DH signed up for his first shot tomorrow at a local school! So, no waiting around or worrying about whether or not he can get on a wait list next week.

Did some impulse shopping online last night. Found two vintage blank journals on small book selling sites. They are getting harder to find, and costing more each time. I hope these are in good shape as advertised. I hate it when pages are torn out, because it often damages the spine.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Never thought about a separate bag. I like that idea.

I've never seen bags made like mine, but I've believed for a long time there really is nothing new under the sun. LOL

I got the cookbooks purged. I was hoping to clear a 5' shelf, but only managed 3'. I'm okay with that, because I knew 5' was ambitious. I've purged my cookbooks several times already, so choices are much harder now.

I have had a book about grilling and barbecue for yrs and never really looked at it, just assumed it was all about those 2 topics. I was very pleased to see it's actually a DIY grocery cookbook, filled with recipes for homemade rubs, condiments, sauces, seasoning blends, etc from around the world, with instructions what to use them for. I took the book out of the grilling section and put it in the grocery DIY section, so I see it and use it. It's going to be a fun read with lots of sidebar info.

The shelving I've been working with is in the bedroom. I'm thinking I need to keep working on that room. Husby has the entire master closet. I use a wardrobe. That made sense when he was working and needed more clothes, but now we should be able to purge enough to move my clothes back in. The wardrobe can be dismantled and stored under the guest room bed. Then the bed can be put where the wardrobe is. Right now it's in front of two bedroom windows, which worked fine when we didn't have a headboard, but now we have a tall headboard. The bedroom is going to be a whole project in itself. Not looking forward to it.

Since I failed to clear a whole cookbook shelf, next on the hit list are my shoes. Most of them, I don't wear, so why aren't they gone? They take up 2 shelves in the same bookcase with the cookbooks. If I can clear one, Husby can have one for his shoes. That seems more doable than the cookbooks.

It never ends. Ugh.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
I like the bag with it’s cheerful yellow.

I’m still just plugging away at the same old things. I have a grocery pick up this morning I’m getting the freezer restocked, but I’ve just been shoving stuff in. An urgent job is to pull it all out and get it reduced to some sort of order. With more to add today, I think I’ll have to do it this afternoon.

We’re actually going to have a normal holiday Sunday, like for many the first in a year. There will be the nine of us, unless one or two of the guys have to work, and two friends who often join us. All vaccinated, except little girl, and I’m not sure about her father. He was going to try to get the first this week, and haven’t heard if he did. But even if not, with everyone else vaccinated it should be ok. I hope those aren’t famous last words. At any rate, there will be chocolate.

I’ve done no stitching, but I’m still working or the stash, getting the ribbons and trims on cards and the perle on bobbins. I’ve finished green (finally!) and red, started pink last night.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
One of my favorite cookbooks is an old Good Housekeeping. A whole lot of planning tips and helpful suggestions. It's kind of a mindset. If supper is ho-hum then make a nice dessert and nobody will complain is my motto.

I am hesitant to get rid of my work clothing. I don't NEED to work but if I might later I will. I am keeping my license current for the same reason, best/quickest way to make $$$ if needed.

In a moment of brilliant insight I realized I can just add an outside pocket to some of the still-decent polypropylene bags and accomplish the same thing - want the bags folded neatly for storage when not in use. I did one already and have another candidate. I threw away one old bag that had multiple small rips. I will make more bags from the napkins as needed, have about a dozen of those (inherited) napkins. Mom seemed to believe in buying in quantity.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Your bag turned out very well, DLR. I like that color, and the swirly parts coordinate so well.

I don't accept the free nonwoven bags anymore. We load stuff heavy, and the handles on those tend to break for us. They're also too small. But we're picky. The canvas bags we use most are the size and shape of a brown paper grocery bag.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I only got one free tote bag this year, but it was a nice one, sturdy with binding on the seams and nice webbing handles. It will last a long time. I don't load my bags too heavy because I'm the one that has to carry them, up stairs no less. The cheap bags I leave at Aldi for others to use. Even so, we have a stack of them. I use them for toting hobby stuff around, too. I'll probably stuff one with quilting supplies for the meeting this month.

I won $100 worth of hobby supplies in a drawing this week! I am excited to see what they send me. Will be a week or two before it arrives.

Should go through our closet one day and pull out a lot of stuff. I have my old work wardrobe, very sensible slacks and plain classic tops, but I'd bet none of it fits me any more. I know none of DH's old suits fit him. Heck, he barely fit into one 20 years ago when we got married. I did finally get rid of all the shoes that will never fit me again. After surgery they just weren't the same and I can't wear any kind of heel.

I think today will warm up enough to paint outside or do more garden clean up. I also want to see about cleaning out a box from the basement, especially seeing as I'm getting a new box of stuff in the mail.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Leaving bags at Aldi is a good idea.

CDC is chock full of good news lately:
-Pfizer is good for at least 6 months of protection. Fingers crossed for lifetime or at least a yr.
-Pfizer claims their trials show vaccine is safe for kids. Still waiting for review and EUA but at least it looks promising.
-Pregnant women can get shots now.
-People who are fully vaxxed and 2 wks past second shots are free to travel, don't need tests to fly, and don't need to quarantine once they arrive at their destination or when they get back.
-The record keeps getting broken for highest number of shots in one day.
-The screwup at J&J isn't going to impact vaccine goals.
We're not out of the woods yet, but we can see the edge from here, as long as people continue with good mitigation practices and get shots ASAP.

I used an old pair of Husby's pants to replace the front and back left side of my falling-apart jeans. I needed new jeans when covid arrived, but had other priorities and didn't get around to buying any. I could live with them when they were thin enough to see through, but not now that I can stick my hand through. They should have been thrown away a yr ago and aren't worth fixing, but it's that or be down to one pair. I need to lose weight and then I'd have plenty of clothes, but that won't be an instant solution no matter what. I've gained 10 more lbs since I started forcing myself to sit still because of my arms. I just can't win.

We're under a near-critical fire watch again. Stupid climate change. Hope the whole world can get behind this problem before it's completely too late.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
A couple days ago I thought about trying my experiments to make dress shoes again. But then I realized that previous I thought that I probably have enough dress shoes to last my through retirement.

And because of telework, I have not worn dress shoes for over a year. I may have some kind of partial telework when this is all over. The details are still up in the air. That means dress shoes will have less chance of wearing out before I retire.

I am kind of shifting to having more casual clothes in my wardrobe. But my supervisor has told me there is a promotion opportunity coming up for me (it's complicated). I am thinking about playing around with some suit jackets if that happens.

My sewing skills are not up to making jackets, but I keep thinking it might be fun to embellish some thrift store jackets. Maybe embroidery or fabric paint or buttons. Possibly some thread crochet on the edges. Or some appliques. A little strip of crazy quilting would be fun too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am a big fan of embellishing or modifying ( a LITTLE BIT because my sewing skills are limited) thrift items. My mom took an old jeans jacket she's had for years, and applique'd some vintage batik material on the back. It looks fantastic and she gets compliments. I am thinking I could do something similar to the collar and cuffs of a thrift suede blazer...I'm not ambitious enough to do the whole back. She said she cut it 1/4 inch larger than the shape (just traced it on the wrong side with chalk and cut a bit bigger than the line) an folded it under and stitched.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Congrats CH! that will be fun seeing what you got! those bags are so cute. have so many that I forget I have them. yes think we all have clothes we hang on too just in case. I have some dressy shoes some not worn much at all cus bought when worked in a office got laid off a few months later and never have been in a office again. and the basic black stuff just in case for funeral or something but then a lot of people weren't having services. so keep some things and buy more lol I pulled my shoe rack out of the closet and found I have 3 or 4 pairs of beige/tan summer sandals..all on sale but didn't know I had that many lol at least dh clothes have been going to ds if good condition. haven't done much of anything crafty cus arm and guess middle finger top joint is sore..on my main hand. though I banged my nail or something but age I guess. watched some crochet videos at least lol supporting a young male.crocheter. dh made this on the 3d printer keeping him busy for a long while. he glued it together. had it printing and then power out last week during one part. 1617419836161.png

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
I just started a test batch of HM chili beans in the rice cooker and they smell so good I can't wait to find out if they taste as good as they smell. Still looking for my forever recipe. This one looked good, but found another one just now that looks even better, so will have to try that one, too. Hope I can find the right one. Kinda tired of looking.

It's finally warming up outside again. We might crack 60 today. Fire danger remains high, which is worrisome, of course.

I think we've decided to table our discussion of moving till this crazy housing bubble breaks. Inventory here, Duluth, and GR is nonexistent, prices have gone nuts, and most places are pending within hours of listing. We're not interested in being involved in bidding wars or driving over 100 miles to look at houses one at a time instead of being able to see several at once, either. We'll probably keep an eye on the local market since driving into town isn't a 2+ hr adventure, but we don't expect to find the rancher of our dreams in a town full of quirky 19th century houses. Still, it could happen, though odds aren't good.

I think I overdid it with the books, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Going to be a lovely (hopefully quiet) weekend here. Hope everyone has the same. Planning to get more yard/garden work in. I'm slow. :) DH got his shot yesterday and is feeling achy and fatigued, as expected.

I think the trend for embellished clothes comes and goes, and it depends on where you're going to wear it. I did not see much embellishment in the office when I was working. Maybe a bit of embroidery on a blouse or a lace edge. OTOH my retired quilting friends all have patchwork jackets or appliqued coats and bags of all kinds. I like quilting but applying it to clothing is not my thing.

The prize pack is going to be model kits. Probably nothing anyone here is interested in. DH and I enjoy doing them together when we have free time at the same time, which has not been very often lately.

M, cute little PuddyTat you got there. It came out nice. DH sometimes makes things like that with his 3d printer.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
M - that’s cute. Your DH must be having a great time with his printer. Maggie - I love batiks. That’s a creative way to use them.

I’ll probably have another busy day here. I need to empty the cabinet in the pantry area and get it moved to the utility room. The new shelf unit I ordered for the pantry is supposed to be here Tuesday and I need to have the place for it ready. When that’s done the end will be in sight. Probably still a pretty long way off, but all stuff holding furniture will be in place.

There is one extravagant thing I’m probably going to buy for the house makeover - new cubby bins for my cubby shelves. At the moment I’m using some turquoise and dark bright blue ones. I have six of each and will move them to the bedroom shelves. Then I would get enough light colored ones for the living room units. They hold most of my thread and other needlework/art supplies along with books. The bedroom shelf is all books. Since I am not reading physical books at present, I want them tucked into bins too. That will help control dust and will remove visual busyness that really bugs me. They aren’t in strict alphabetical order but are mostly in alphabetical groups, if that makes sense, so it wouldn’t be a huge task to find something specific if I wanted it. I think that would be worth the cost of the new bins. There. I talked myself into it. Lol.

I’ve kept a funeral outfit too. I didn’t have to wear dressy clothes at the library for evening, unlike the day staff, and refused to replenish any as I knew retirement was coming. I was getting pretty threadbare by the end, so except for some polo type tops that were better and that I could wear with the one remaining skirt, it’s all long gone.

I finished the pink embellishments and started in on the harder purple set. It had both the pinkish reddish purples and the blue purples. I split them, moving the pinkIsh ones to the pink set, and now I’ve started the blue purples. I’ll continue that tonight.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
I only use a cookbook once in a blue moon. If I’m looking for a recipe, which is rare, I go to the Internet. I don’t mind repetitive food and mostly just cook the same old things the same old way. I only have my own tastes to please. So why do I still have cookbooks? There is one I may keep but the rest are on the chopping block. I used to enjoy cooking but at this point it’s just a time killing, mess making chore for me. Goodbye cookbooks!

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
I'm getting closer to that with cookbooks, D, with a few exceptions. The main area of interest now is DIY groceries. I was so grateful to have my skills, gear, and recipes when covid hit, especially for breads. Most of what I purged this time were individual books from catagories, not entire catagories. I expect over time I will get rid of more. My biggest catagory of keepers are WW recipes. I like variety for that because boredom throws me off track when a food stops being appealing. It's hard to search online for WW recipes. There are too many purposely mislabeled (1 point WW cookies! Click here for recipe!) Only when I run the numbers, each cookie really has 9 pts.🙄 It's infuriating click bait. I don't trust nutritional info from individuals online at all, for anything. What I've cut way down on are church and community cookbooks. We don't eat that way anymore and many old recipes are delicious but very unhealthy. Some I keep for sentimental reasons. I wish I could go back to cooking without cookbooks like I used to, but I can't. If I don't follow a recipe, my lyin' eyes let me add in extra cheese, ignore fat, put in extra pasta, slather on more mayo, etc. It always ends up being a nutritional trainwreck.​

The beans were okay but I'm still looking. I'm also going to try cooking them in the Crock instead of the rice cooker.

I think I have a plan now for redoing the GH steps. They're 10' wide now and I want them to be 5 or 6. Then we can put a washer tub on each end. The steps need a couple of tweaks while we're at it, and paint. I'm hoping it won't be a very involved remake.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I never worry about what is in for fashion, I just wear what I want. Work is used to me and I don't get teased about it. One of the ladies who worked in the office before me was into 1970s inspired fashion. So they were used to it I suppose. They judge me on my work, not my clothes.

I think the older I get, the less I care about what others think of my clothes.

I am wondering if increased full time telework is/will effect housing costs. There are many people who would choose to live in another location if being close to their work was not an issue.

When we move for retirement we won't be going for a house, we will get either a condo or an apartment. I am really okay with either one. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
My fabric order came! I was beginning to think I'd have to wait until after easter. Everything looks really nice, all the grab bags are good ones. I got four rolls of wool scraps, two are very narrow, less than 1" but it's ok. I'll be cutting flower petals and leaves. Lots of colors, red, orange, purple and pink mostly, some blue, black and brown, not much green, yellow, or white. Good addition to the stash. I have in mind to try some covered boxes, among other things:
Of the other rolls, one is Holliberry by Moda, in red, green, and grey. It's sort of christmassy, but the greens are really soft, and other than the few holly leaves it doesn't really scream christmas.

The other two are not labelled. One looks like random strips, not from a collection. It has all kinds, polka dots, a purple stripe, a couple of florals, some stars, one solid, and one print with writing and music notes. A good mix. The last one is pieces from Spring Chicken, which looks like this: https://www.fatquartershop.com/media/catalog/product/s/p/springchicken-ydg-900.jpg I only got the orange, grey and green strips, but they are 3" wide. Some have selvedge, which is not a big deal.

You're lucky to have such an easy going work place, Kathy. I've been written up for wearing the "wrong" kind of shoes, and I'm sure I lost a couple of jobs for being too stylish at the interview, so I always kept my wardrobe very neutral and professional.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
so cute ch! yes i have been pushing dh cus he is clingy like don't need to beside me all the time and it is not physically stressful for him like building stuff in the garage or reno work. i know he will get better after covid since we went from his parents situation - freedom - covid. and his work is stressful.

dcompton I am the same my books are grouped by type. I don't look at cookbooks much just google but still some vintage..some older ones pillsbury kids use. my mom gave me chateine magazine cookbook from the 70s which has everything even wedding menus lol remember when kraft had the free recipe mags they sent you? I kept a bunch cus good recipes but then forget about them. do the same or buy premade. think it is something when you get older. my mom talks about moving into home here that is full service cus tired of house upkeep etc w her heart etc. before that never.

yes work all depends on the decade and where. now no one wears pantyhouse but did back in the 80s ! remember having to own slips! I have lots of dresses cus been getting the vintage 50s style on sale and avon ones that go for really good deals. the 50s style is very flattering on plus size and comfy. though get boob looks though really you see a tiny part of cleavage. not a work thing there tops and pants. demo work was black pants and white dressy tops. havent worn either for ages. kept some formal tops esp since were really exp ones that got new w tags in thrift store for $4 each so timeless. I like long skirts etc and live in the caftans I bought off my cousin now at home..from bali. so comfy and you can go braless.

didn't do much worked on the throw..sorted the yarn bag so those colours were on top 10 more to go. did make easter charcuterie board ..got inspired lol instead of baskets. cat was sleeping in bedroom and of course door closed make a fuss within a few minutes cus I wasn't stopping to let him out. I do have more choc but the ears were broken so left them off.

561 - 580 of 646 Posts