Frugal Village Forums banner

581 - 600 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
M - your basket looks tasty. CH - those boxes look like fun to make. Great fabrics. I really like the spring chicken ones.

I didn’t actually do much in the pantry. I cleared about half the cabinet and looked through the cookbooks. I was right. All but one, and maybe one other, are going. Even Joy of Cooking. I’ve lugged it around for years, and there was only one thing I made consistently from it, a sweet sour sauce recipe. A couple of the baking recipes now and then, but I rarely bake now since I shouldn’t be eating the sweets anyway, and if I do cave, a box mix is good enough.

I’ve spent most of the time on the stash work. I finished the purples. I doing variegated next because I’ve come to several in the separate colors that should with them so I want that box set up. I really don’t have much motivation to do the other stuff until I get the shelf because everything coming out of the cabinet will just be piled somewhere until then. I don’t see the point of that.

I ordered the cubby bins. The bottom two rows will be beige, the top two white. I decided against pastel colors since I couldn’t be sure of what they really like from the screen. On Amazon, listings that were clearly the same item showed colors that looked quite different. The neutral is probably better anyway. I started to get all beige, but decided that would just be too much if it. I can’t wait for the shelf and bins to arrive so I can start getting big areas finished. Until then, I’ll probably just focus on corralling the stash.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
CH- The wool boxes are unique. They are woodland looking and at first, I thought it was similar to a mushroom design. I hope your DH is feeling better.

Kathy- Housing prices are insane here as well. My style home (1400 sq ft above ground) on 6000 sq ft lot is getting $525,000. Never in my dreams did I think this would happen. We've remodeled most of the home but I'd love to finish it. DH is not interested. People are selling their homes and renting. Our neighbor rented next to us for 2 years and is moving into his in-laws home. He is remodeling it and paying them rent as they are in assisted living now. New renters have moved in. The 3 bed2.53 bath has an unfinished basement and no yard and rents for $2650/mth.

I have suits and nice clothing from when I worked retail. Now, I have a uniform. I don't really care too much about my clothing choices either. The kids give me their t-shirts and I wear them. They're men/s sizing but eh, I put a jacket over them.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Happy Easter to all!

I love those little wool boxes. They would be fun to make.

I had the Joy of Cooking book yrs ago. I don't think I ever used it at all. IIRC, it was too cheffy for our lifestyle. That was back when most of our recipes came from church cookbooks if we used recipes at all and during the time we had 8 kids and there were always multiple cooks and the goal was to get simple meals in large quantities on the table fast. No time or space in our tiny kichen for anything the least bit complicated.

I sorted and tidied the top 3 drawers in the buffet, which is the baking center. It's not done yet, but it's a start. The baking center is a fairly new arrangement, and baking stuff is still all over the kitchen. I want to put as much as possible in the buffet. There was an empty drawer so I moved all 3 rolling pins into it, instead of having them in 2 unhandy, unrelated places. I need to build some drawer dividers. I have really nice plastic ones that unfortunately don't fit our stuff. A lot of it ends up sitting on top the organizers. Big help. Why I've put up with this annoyance all these yrs is beyond me. I should have my DIY home improvement card revoked. Nineteen days till we can go to Menards again. The list is getting longer. It's a good thing spring is here so we can work in the shop.

Still need to get the work table cleared off. That would help with my step count, not to mention productivity.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Happy Easter Monday. the littles here got invited to an Easter Egg hunt on Saturday. We went and they had a blast. at the end, they had a drawing of sorts. some of the eggs had numbers on slips of paper inside and the kids got to go in order ( from #1 to #20) one grand son got #20 and he was eyeing a certain prize. Well, when his turn came, he was so excited as he got the prize he really really wanted. It was so fun for them to have some fun out. Our neighbour also went all out and got them huge bags of toys and candy that they have thoroughly enjoyed. Then an egg hunt here and Easter baskets for them too. All in all a great day for them and building great memories, ( especially now since mom and dad are starting the divorce proceedings) I got the rest of the one skein of yarn finished and on to skein #5 now. more sewn on the tote for a friend, plus a few ideas on what needs to go from the basement. DH got #1 shot on Friday and has been super sleepy all weekend. my mum also slept 2 days after her shot #1. I will wait a couple more weeks before I sign up for the shot.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I finished adding pockets to most of my grocery totes. They look much neater in their storage basket in my car now.
Hubby and I both felt general body aches the day following 2nd vaccine but gone by day 3. Did not have fever or any other real symptoms.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Most of the cookbooks I have left are baking books. I did a big clear-out years ago and gave most away. Kept 2 thin christmas cookie recipe books, one on bread, one on pastry, one seafood, and one vegetarian Indian. I have two Frugal Gourmet books (that was how I learned to cook) and Corriher's Cookwise, which has a lot of trouble shooting tips. I don't think I've used one of her recipes, but the bread section has been invaluable. I should probably give it another look.

Mostly these days I do what they're now calling "non-recipe recipes" and what we would call "just throwing stuff together for dinner" You Don’t Need a Recipe I only look up recipes if I have forgotten, or am trying something new. Today I need to look up Italian Wedding Soup, because I have forgotten the seasonings and I am prepping a batch. Tomorrow is my 2nd dose and I expect my immune system to react strongly. If not, we'll have it Thurs when it gets cold again.

Dlr, glad to hear you guys did not have many symptoms.

Knotme, it sounds like it was a wonderful day for the kids and everyone involved. Hopefully not too many sick tummies from the candy. Was a good day to be outside. Today is too, but so much to do....

Cat is sick and going to the vet this afternoon. Hopefully they can give her something to clear up this issue.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Hope you kitty can get some help. ☹

I had some Frugal Gourmet books yrs ago, too, but never used them. I don't feel I buy cookbooks. It's more like a rental. I get them for $1 or so if they look interesting, keep them a while, then donate if they don't turn out to be keepers. There are exceptions of course, like some of my newer WW books that I couldn't get used, or the AHA books after Husby's heart attack, along with a nice big book of Med Diet recipes. I bought the Make Your Own Groceries and Make-A-Mix Cookery when we lived in Minneapolis or maybe before, and have used them off and on since, more lately. I wish I had used them a lot more when the kids were home. Coulda saved lots of money when we needed it most. Probably at least 25% of my cookbooks now are for scratch cooking, DIY mixes, and food preservation like canning and dehydrating. A fair number are Dutch oven and camp cooking, a bunch are specifically for particular small appliances, a section on ethnic foods, plus church and community books. I find it much easier to look through a paper cookbook than electronic, and I like to make notes on recipes, too.

I finally remembered to ask my mom if she still had her recipe for the raised doughnuts she made when I was a kid. She does, so we can get it. That might not be a good thing but at least they will be tasty. I've never seen doughnuts made that way, cut in a rectangle and then cut in thirds halfway across the rectangle, then deep fried. It's an old recipe, probably from at least the 1940s.

I think we're going to give our screen porch a minor makeover involving shade cloth and a cheap TV. We have a plastic shed we can put the TV in to protect it from the weather, and comfy chairs. It would be nice to sit out there. It shouldn't be too expensive to embellish the porch a little to enhance this year's forced staycation.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #590 (Edited)
I have a small ceiling fan on my little screen porch. It’s use is limited to mornings though because it faces due west and roasts in the Louisiana sun in the afternoon. Since I’m such a night owl and very late riser, that’s pretty much just a leisurely morning cup of tea. When the day inevitably comes when I can’t drive, I hope to screen in my little carport and that will give me all day use. I might even do it sooner and just make my car live in the driveway. I’ve been thinking about it for some time now. That would also add months to the time I could be outside since in spring and fall it’s often too chilly to be sitting out in the morning but is fine by afternoon. That would evict the swallows, but there are plenty of other places around here they could nest.

I’m almost finished with the variegated embellishments. All but a tiny bit of the box is filled with the ribbons, trims, and strange yarns so I will have to go to a small container for the other stuff, though there isn’t much that of that with the variegated group. Mostly perle 5 and crochet thread that I’m leaving with these. All the lace, except for colored lace, has its own container. The perle 8 and 12, not much of that, will live with my regular thread because it could be used for blackwork. A few years ago I found a shop that sold large color bundles of novelty yarns, like eyelash and types I have no name for at all, in yard lengths, perfect for what I want it for. It will be fun to couch on the surface of freeform embroidery.

Yesterday what I took to work on was some of the tatting thread and the new spools. I got some of it done. I really like having it on spools and it will store compactly with all my other threads on spools. I feel like the stash is finally getting under control. Buying the spools, spool container boxes, and artist tiles for the trims has not been cheap - and I’ve just had to order more of the tiles - but it is worth it to me. That, and the other things I have bought for the house, are paid for by the stimulus money. Thank you, government!

A85A9FA9-15E0-4A00-ABED-E2BE5526D01D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
well spirit 8kids! when would you have time! at least you know nothing goes to waste w a lot of kids someone will eat the food. always wanted a screened in porch. or a conservatory. one day! are the donuts beignets?
I keep some cookbooks cus they are pretty like the 2 fat ladies one. loved that show.

wow dcompton love it so organized and colour coded. makes me almost want to do something downstairs w craft stuff

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Our screen porch needs some work, but it has a ceiling fan, and we have plenty of tacky lights. I don't think we would use it at night, though, especially early summer when it's black fly season.

We still have near critical fire weather conditions, which includes humidity under 20%. We're supposed to get a storm so I hope it's wet before there's lightning.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
My husband generally does the you don't need a recipe style of cooking and his stuff does generally turn out.

My husband did our taxes today with turbo tax. We are getting a refund this time. Last time we owed money, so we paid extra during the year.

This week I am trying to make the little kimonos for two of the peg dolls. The part I am most unsure of is painting the faces. The light wood color looks close enough to skin color, so I am not painting over it. The face I will probably use pens or thin markers.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
D, check Home Depot's site for shade cloth. It comes in different colors, sizes, and shade percentages. It's not horribly expensive. I'm currently contemplating an 8x12 chunk in tan which provides 90% shade for $30. They come already hemmed and have grommets. I added some hooks to the soffits on our front deck at the top to hang the one for our LR from, and 3 in the deck to attach the bottom to so the cloth doesn't blow around. It might sound complicated but it isn't, and if your neighbors wanted to provide some birthday gift labor, the whole thing including hooks could be done in a few minutes. It would make your screen porch so much more comfortable. If your west wall is narrow, you could maybe do a tie-back if you wanted the cloth open in the morning.

It was a busy time, Martha, but in reality, it worked because the kids all had chores which freed up a lot of my time, and being the horrible parents we were, we made the kids help with things so they learned how. I sewed a lot for all of us, back when making clothes still made economic sense, and did canning and fixed things around the house like remodeling the bathroom. I once replaced a water heater while my son was in surgery, because that's when the time worked out and a family of 10 with no hot water gets ugly fast. LOL

The doughnuts are called doughboys, but I recall Mom calling them raised donuts. I don't think they're beignets but I've never had those. They're shaped more like bear claws, but only have 3 big stubby toes. We usually rolled them in granulated sugar.

Clouds are moving in. Hope we get rain and no fire.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
lol I agree kids need to have chores! I remind them I know how much housework I make cus I lived alone for years. my kids are the only grandkids basically and I had to learn to run a house by my teens yet my mom w my kids..jeesh.. like I think my 6ft 2" son can do gardening. ..now that we confirmed he won't cut his toes off w the lawn mower lol yes he was accident prone. they were too special to do harder stuff lol yet we have film of my brother mowing the lawn at 8. difference between kids and grandkids. yes stuff has to happen right away. one thing if dryer breaks you can hang clothes but washer! yikes.

you know ikea and other stores have been clearing out curtains w grommets style cheap here for ages.

I looked up doughboys..apparently a british war thing but there is a chain called it too. raised dough basically which I think most are. here they are made bigger and flatter and called whale's tails with different toppings at fairs etc.
my mil told me that pillsbury used sell doughnuts in a can to fry. think it is easier to buy all this stuff we used to make back in the day when you live close to things plus then you don't get into the mindset lol have a deep fat fryer haven't used at all. though fresh fries etc are so good.

hope your cat is ok ch! maybe just spring allergies. monday here is only a holiday for mostly office workers and schools. but taking it off anyways. just some housework and leftovers for dinner. got my knockoff barbie closet w accessories shoes, dresses etc. and harry potter book style lego which is a future gift. found out need new cat carrier too so will get soft sided one off amazon. plus some lorann extracts I want to try. my old carriers are over 20yrs and were free w reward points and busted so dump time.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I was thinking Bear Claws, too. Love fresh fried donuts but they don't love me. Hope you get the rain you need. This warm weather is crazy.

We don't have a ceiling fan on our deck but there is usually a good breeze, or else it is too hot out to begin with. Time to turn the fan on in the kitchen, and the christmas quilt is getting put away for good.

One of my "new" vintage journals came and it is in great shape. It was a nice way to end the day.

Cat is home and we will see. Did all the expensive tests and the little stinker ate wet food off a spoon offered by the vet. They gave her an antibiotic and a fluids injection.

Hope tomorrow is less crazy.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Made my appointment for the first vaccine shot (Moderna). Got the notice from the state website I signed up with some time ago. (Probably around the beginning of the year, no longer sure.) They opened up eligibility to a larger group as of today and my job/profession/whatever was in that larger group. I was surprised I got the notice so quickly. I thought it would've taken longer, even with the new eligibility. I think only one person I know who signed up with the state website got their appointment through that route. Now that I have the appointment, I'm a little nervous about the side effects, although I usually just get a sore arm at the injection site when I get my flu shots.

Everyone is so busy!! CH - hope your cat gets better quickly.

Finished skein #3 and started skein #4 on the pastel lapgan. That should be done relatively quickly, provided I don't set it aside for whatever reason.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
My shingles shot was lots more painful than my Pfizer, but the second one can be bad, I've heard. We'll find out starting Friday. Still beats the heck out of landing in the ICU or worse. My mom didn't have much for side effects.

There are lots of kinds of doughboys. I've even seen a Bisquick recipe for them, but that wasn't what Mom made. She said it's in one of those little Gold Medal or Pillsbury books they used to print with all their bake-off winners. I had a huge deep fryer yrs ago, but never used it so buh-bye. I still have a stove, and grease frying is good for cast iron. 😁 About the only thing I ever deep fry is fry bread or donuts made from a tube of those cheap tube biscuits, which are both very, very seldom.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #599
I caught up on some dishes but have done nothing else on the house today. I just got a notice from Amazon that the cubby bins would be here tomorrow instead of Wednesday. I’m happy about that. If the shelves and those both come tomorrow I’m good to go.

I’m working on the rather boring white/cream/ecru to night. I looked to see what was left. Sigh. Gold, orange, yellow, brown, black/silver, blue, and blue green. That’s a lot. However, it will be wonderful when it’s all done.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I barely remember getting my shingles shot, I think it was achy, but yeah, the covid one was merely a pinprick and a bruised feeling. I've been trying to find out what to expect for #2, there's a range of possible side effects but fatigue and headache seem to be the most reported ones. In any case, it'll be over in ~48 hours. My therapist said he felt like he was coming down with something, then it was over. Another friend said his daughter got hers and was tired, but worked an 8 hour shift anyway.

Ren, happy to hear you got an appt. Hope it goes well.

Made 40 mini meatballs and put half in the freezer for later. Both cats settled down for the night. The one seems better already. Took a trip to the litter box, the first of many, I hope.

DC, the colors sound wonderful. :) Have fun with your new cubby bins. Hope everything fits into them the way you want.

I'm eager to get some time to play with fabric again.

581 - 600 of 646 Posts