Frugal Village Forums banner

601 - 620 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
First shot done with little more than soreness at the injection site. No exhaustion, at least not yet. I got there about 30 minutes early. I left my house early to account for traffic, trying to find the correct entrance to the site (it was at a local arena), and the possibility of long lines, even with pre-scheduled appointments. Funny thing is, I ended up walking and chatting with someone from my job (although a different department). The line ended up being really short (maybe one or two people who were already being 'processed') and having someone to chat with made the 'sitdown' time after the shot go by fast. Second appointment more or less 'scheduled' although it's just a date at this point. Time to be determined closer to the actual date.

Didn't get much work on my lapgan last night. I spent a good portion of last evening focusing on my vaccine appointment.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Does fry bread have to be deep fried or can it be made with just a little oil in the pan?

Many years ago I did some deep frying for tempura. But it always seemed like a waste. If you were not frying every day then there was all this oil that would just be thrown out.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
I usually froze oil in between times when I deep fried more often. Fry bread doesn't need much oil, being a flat bread. A half inch in a small pan doesn't waste much oil, and the little bit left over can be saved to use for other purposes. Fried bread can be cooked in a frying pan with a little oil like a pancake, but it's not the same thing as fry bread then.

Yea, Ren! I hope you don't have any side effects. Our shots were at our health care provider, at a clinic 50 miles away. They have it down pat. We pre-registered online through our accounts, checked in at arrival, followed a line of yellow tape to the vax site where our covid team nurse met us in the hall and took us right into an exam room where she did a little data entry, gave us our cards and shots, then turned us over to another team member who took us to the after party, where we amused ourselves trying to figure out how to take old people selfies. Then we drove home. No side effects except sore arms. Massage helped, and it only lasted a day or two. Nurse suggested massaging arms before they started to hurt. No big deal.

We finally got the horseradish tub moved. We're happy to have that done, finally. It's been yrs since I decided to move it, but we never knew where to go with it. It wasn't much of a problem till we put the dog yard fence back up last yr, but then it ended up right in the middle of the narrow pathway. The garden area is far enough along now we can make more of a plan, so we found a good spot for the horseradish. I'm going to buy some new horseradish to plant because it seems to have reached the end of its natural life in the tub.

We're going to do a curbside pickup at Menards Friday, 20 bags of garden soil, plus purple fingerling seed potatoes and the horseradish bulbs, if they have them. It's getting closer to garden time!

I was so disappointed to open the rain barrel this AM and find a measly ½" of water. It collects rain from half our oversized garage roof, so that means the little showers we had last evening were basically nothing. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
The shelf and bins have been delivered, but are too heavy and bulky for me to manage. The bins are all in one box that is even labeled heavy, so I have a text out asking for any of the neighbors to pick it up for me. It may be late tonight before anyone can do it, unless LG’s dad sees it and can get them. I can’t do the shelf today anyway because I also ordered the liners and they are delayed, still in Texas. They will probably come tomorrow. For the rest of today I’ll just keep working on the stash unless someone can pick it up earlier and I could do the bins.

I have a little bit of white to go and found a little more pink. I pulled some of the darkest ones out of the white/ecru group to move to brown, so I’ll probably do those next.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Clouds moving in here but I don't expect more than sprinkles. Maybe late tonight there will be more.

No line and no waiting for my 2nd shot. They checked my name at the first table, waved me to the 2nd where I signed and got information sheets, and they took me right in. Didn't even feel the poke this time. Nurse said to stay hydrated and that the fatigue is usually worse the 2nd day. Sat for 20 mins. Noticed the mood was more upbeat, people were chatting quietly and a few were laughing. On the way out the same nurse was asking people how they felt as they left, and I mentioned that my arm already felt a bit achy, but I felt fine otherwise. She said it was unusual, but I could put ice on it and take Tylenol if needed. Stated to stay hydrated again. So I'm home and having a cup of tea and relaxing until dinner.

SD your garden plans sound great. Hope they're not out of anything you need. It's time for me to start tomatoes and cucumbers this week.

In my experience when frying you need enough oil to come half way up the side of what you're frying, or more. Otherwise the sides don't get cooked. So a small pan with high sides can be useful if you are only doing a single serving. In college a friend had a mini fryer that was nice for 2 people. My deep fryer takes a gallon of oil though, and I have not used it since we remodeled. It's very dangerous for the waistline. :) I strain the oil and re-use it 2-3 times. Discard when it changes from gold to brown or smells bad. I put it in an old bottle and put it in the trash, not the sink.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Yeah, deep fried foods are not your friend if you don't want to gain weight.

Husby called Menards and got their order system figured out. Later, he got an email informing us the order has already been assembled and we have 14 days to pick it up. He found dirt on sale, so we're getting 25 bags, 2 cf per bag. That's a start. They also had the purple fingerling potatoes and the horseradish bulbs. happy dance The whole thing is sure set up nicely. We did have to pay a $4 surcharge, but it's worth it to have someone else load up those heavy bags of dirt and drag them out to the van for us. Plus we're assured of getting the dirt this way.

It occurred to us today we already have 85% protection from our first shot. Don't know why it didn't register till now. It's such a relief to know we're protected, after this yr of hell, or more like purgatory. Can't wait to get the second shot. I'm glad now we had to wait to get our shots. We're so far behind the first people, experts will have a good idea how long the protection lasts quite a while before we would need boosters, if ever. That would give us time to prep again if more isolation is needed.

I've hit the mother lode over at Pinterest. Somehow their algorithms decided I must be interested in small batch recipes for 1-2 servings. I keep finding stuff that might be interesting for camping. Excellent!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Almost 24 hours after the first vaccine shot and my arm's still sore. More annoying during the day but a real PITA at night. Ended up not sleeping much last night, probably because my arm was sore. Thankfully, the vaccination site I went to is only ~15 minutes away from me (with little to no traffic) and easy to get on and off the highway. So I didn't have to worry about possibly getting lost.

I need to get into the garden soon and start preparing for planting. I found a second garden/plant nursery that has starts. I just need to work on the soil first. Thankfully, it looks like this coming Saturday is looking good for doing that. Hopefully, my arm will be less sore by then.

Got a bit more done on the pastel lapgan yesterday. On the last skein for it so it should be done relatively soon.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Fatigue hit me like a brick wall last night about 6 hours after the shot. Went to bed and slept ok, but was woken at 3am by a thunderstorm, and was achy all over. Took a tylenol and slept late. Have less energy this morning and a hard sore spot on my arm, but otherwise ok. Will see how it goes.

We got a good amount of rain overnight and everything is leafing out. It would be a good day to dig out dandelions, if I can find the energy. I may just sit and play with my new fabric.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
One of the guys got home around 7 yesterday and brought the boxes in for me, but by then I didn’t want to start anything and my aches were telling me rain was on the way. I hadn’t looked at weather for a while, but aches don’t lie. 100% chance of thunderstorms all afternoon. The shelf liners are out for delivery but I don’t know if this fairly new driver will bag them up and leave them or pass and bring it tomorrow since it will have to be left out in the open. I’ll do the cubby bins today, but that will be enough anyway.

I finished the whites and that little group of pink, and did the gold since there wasn’t much of it, and got a start on brown so I made good progress on the stash.

Congrats to all of you getting your shots. It was really nice to have a normal holiday here. It’s not over yet but at least it seems to be getting more under control. After we were caught in the initial outbreak last year from Mardi Gras when no one knew anything about covid yet, our governor has done a good job steadily holding the line despite it being a deep red trump state and sandwiched between crazy Texas and Mississippi. It’s so rare for Louisiana to do anything right that he deserves a lot of credit. We’ve had our bad stretches like everyone, but it could have been a lot worse here.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
The UPS driver did leave the packages. He beeped his horn and I saw him drive away so I went right out. There was a gap in the rain so it worked out perfectly. I really like the new cubby bins. When I eventually get everything finished - that really will happen someday - I’ll post some pics. It was a lot of hoisting of books so I’m done for the day. It at the moment my plan is to move the cabinet to the utility room tomorrow and finish up in there. Then Friday to put the shelf together and work in that area. It’s a good plan. Now I just need to see if it happens - lol.

Back to the stash work.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
My plans go awry all the time, too. Glad you like your storage. Good storage is the key to everything.

I get up every morning planning to clear the work table but so far, no luck there. Today I was distracted from the work table by the plastic rack on the back of the pantry door. I have 3 of them for rolls of foil, etc. Two of the slots are too wide for the rolls that go in them. Today was the last straw when the wax paper box fell out on me for the millionth time. With malice aforethought, I dragged out the drill, the zip ties, and an empty milk carton and cut out some plastic pieces to close off the slots for those offending boxes, drilled holes in the rack, and slapped the new plastic parts in place with zip ties. It's a little job that took a few minutes to solve a problem we've lived with for 20+ yrs. It's nice to be getting some little things done I haven't gotten to with all the big projects.

I spent some time today contemplating glassware, namely a variety of jars and canisters. I've been weeding out jars for yrs. I love all sorts of jars, so it's been a challenge. But I finally decided a few yrs ago to focus on using antique, vintage, and specialty mason jars for food storage, because there's very little I collect anymore that isn't actually useful. I also have lots of hermetic jars, and some decanters I've beaded. I've gotten rid of most of the odd jars now. I'm trying to make everybody play nice together, but need to make some space. So close! I'm still weeding out some things. Three of my favorite hermetic jars are too tall to fit anywhere except laying down on a pantry shelf. They're the problems at the moment. Not sure what to do with them. Maybe a wine rack would hold them I use them for lasagna noodles and spaghetti, so don't want to get rid of them.

I think I want to make cloth liners for the former locker baskets we use for food storage. I like the shabby chic wire baskets, but the packages inside look tacky and cluttery. I'm not a fancy person by any means, and it's been this way for yrs, so I'm not sure why it's bugging me now. Cabin fever, probably. But the project is on my list now, though low in priority. Will have to see what I have for fabric. And clear off my work table. It would be a fairly quick, easy project, after I figured out the first one. I wonder what JA or HL have for food print fabrics. I'm glad I feel like thinking about some projects again.

It's raining. We're finally getting the soaker we've been promised and we so desperately need. Husby said the rain barrel is full now. 90% chance of rain tonight. The lake ice must be melting like crazy.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #612
I can’t believe the mess I just made in the kitchen. I cooked a couple of hamburger patties on the foreman grill. When I turned around to take them off - big oops. I hadn’t put the drip tray under it. Of course it had to be something really messy like ground beef. I have grease all over the counter. I’ll tackle it later tonight.

when I finish the house, I think I may haul out the sewing machine and get a few things done. The nearly finished place mats and some cloth napkins. I also want to make some new pillowcases. I have plenty of fabric for them.

I’ve almost finished the browns. I think I’ll do orange next.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Oh, no, what a mess! And not a counter-surfing husky in sight! (Kidding.) Once the grease hardens, a plastic scraper should pick up the worst of it.

We're getting harder rain now.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
sounds like me last night lol cooking some asian dumplings.. broth boiling thought I had turned it down.. nope had boiled over and almost dry cus you know you sit down and a bunch of fans were going so didn't see. add more water to make more broth but nice burned pan to deal w and burner. me and donuts I am fine but then I smell them and I am a goner.

good everyone is getting their shots! taking ds for covid test tomorrow to say he doesn't have it. classmate did. but they say just go to work etc unless you have symptoms. my sister was don't come near me at work..I am really you work here full time w people constantly getting covid and not like store is that great about it.

today was the alarm since just got a call saying booked for this morning. system upgrade cus all goes though cell system..said what if cell doesn't work then wireless radio cus we didn't use to be able to get cell service in the basement and the tower is not far at all. old one was fine but now touch screen scrolling pictures of trees etc whatever happened to simple. like our old thermostat just turn dial don't need it to light up every time I go to the bathroom at night. now farm picture cus dh has been playing with it. turns off in a few minutes. now someone can break the screen instead of using buttons lol kids are like mom we are agreed it sucks..the front door is open is says when before was just beeps which was turned on when kids were little so I knew what was going on. funny thing our adopted parrot used to make the beep sound and when we got the alarm system found out his previous owners had the same one.

not much but work and rain today. at least plants got a good watering. now that one cat is looking for a fight picking on both cats. vet never phoned back too about her. did some crocheting and got though a couple more skeins.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Arm's finally feeling less sore. It improved yesterday but was still sore. At least it wasn't bad enough to interfere with my sleep last night.

On the other hand, one of the other buildings in my apartment complex burned yesterday. Not mine, thankfully, but I feel sorry for the people who did get burned out. Not sure what started it but it seemed to go up pretty quickly. Still smells a bit smoky.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Ren, shame about the apartment building, must have been really scary for the people living there. Most apt buildings have little or no fire walls and just go up like paper. Glad you are feeling better and got some sleep.

I feel fine this morning. Yesterday I was really tired, achy for a while, and went through a spell of feeling way too warm and uncomfortable before suddenly feeling cold. The fatigue cleared up around 8pm, roughly 24 hours after it started. Arm's not even sore. So that's that.

Chilly this morning and rain coming down from the north. I got the box of model kits yesterday. Unfortunately they are all in factory packaging, loose pieces in bags. No pictures, no instructions, I'm not even sure what some of them are. It will take some sorting out. But, hey, they were free!

DC, hope you get your house fixed up the way you want it.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
That is awful about the apartment building, people don't need those problems now. Glad everyone is feeling better. I think most of my health complaints are from doing yard work, moving heavy stuff. And extra-long dog walks while all the flowers and trees are blooming.
SD I am currently making a liner for my collapsible wheeled wire grocery cart. I haven't used it much but would be ideal for farmer's market in walking distance on Saturdays. I can also walk to the grocery store. Bag part finished, I made French seams for extra reinforcement. Just need to sew some fabric ties to secure it to the wire cart. It is old and has some rust. If I use it a lot I will see about Rustoleum paint.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
Ren - that’s terrible about the apartment building. What a trauma for the tenants. I’m glad your building was ok. I remember one New Year or July 4th when some yahoos were setting off fireworks in the courtyard. I was sitting there making mental lists of what to grab if they set the building on fire.

Just more of the same today. i think though that after the cabinet is moved I need to go on and set up the shelf and work there. The embellishments are taking up more room in the boxes and need to evict some stuff like office supplies that will go to the shelf. I’m to that inevitable stage where everything needs to be moved first. Lol

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
The Red Cross has already stepped up to help out, as well as the complex. I'm sure there are other funds either set up or being set up to help them out. There was already a gofundme page set up to connect local restaurants and other food services with local people in need due to the pandemic. They're going to include the people affected by the fire yesterday. The funds can be earmarked for the fire victims by putting a note in the comments. At least everyone in the building got out safely.

My arm's no longer sore. I heard that the vaccine side effects usually lasted only 48 hours, which in my case turned out to be true.

·
Super Moderator
19,674 Posts
Glad everyone seems to feel better.

I always wonder about those GoFundMes and how the taxes are handled.

DLR, I made tab tops for the new bag I made for the little laundry hamper I redid a couple yrs ago. I don't think I ever made those before and really like them. I also made a simple "pillow case" sized appropriately to cover a piece of heavy cardboard to put in the bottom so the bag holds its shape. I just fold the open end of the case under the cardboard. That way, it will be easy to take the cardboard out to wash the case as needed. It worked out well and still folds up.

D, I've always thought of big organizing projects as being circular. No matter where you jump in around the circle, there's stuff needing to be done before that point. There usually isn't a clear starting point.

I never heard of Garlic Garlic Seasoning, but came across a recipe for it. Since I love garlic, I figured having the word garlic in the title twice must make it doubly good, so I made some, then mixed up some with sour cream for dip. It's a keeper! I modified it only slightly since I don't buy garlic salt. Yummy!

601 - 620 of 646 Posts