Frugal Village Forums banner

761 - 780 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
This week, I plan on working on my not quite mending project.

Sometimes the skin on my shoulders gets ridiculously sensitive and the shoulder seems on some of my shirts just feels unbearable. So I am working on sewing bits of a very soft ribbon inside the shirts to cover up the seems.

I did one a few weeks ago and it worked good. I did one this morning. Hand sewing can be so incredibly relaxing for me. I will be doing another one this afternoon and maybe starting on more.

I have the almost finished skirt I planned on finishing today, but I just feel like hand sewing today.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I heard from the breeder, hope to be getting another dog soon. Wow that will be exciting. She has a couple available, I will go w/ her recommendation as to which one would be best.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #763 ·
That’s great dircpa! What breed do you have?

K - that’s a good idea with the ribbon. I would never have thought of that.

Today I’ve focused on the flotsam that was in the bedroom. That was all the sewing and embroidery notions to get organized and random things that won’t be housed there now. I have a few scattered bits still on the bed to carry to their places, but I really needed a rest. I’ll finish that up tonight, should only take a few minutes, and maybe start shifting through the rubble on the worktable. At any rate, tomorrow will be the living room. I could do a lot more today, but I’ve decided I’m ok with moving through this final stage at a room a day. The living room is the biggie and it will be very very welcome for that one to be done.

Hereafter, it’s the one in/one out rule for me. I never want to have to do this again.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Why not clean the freezer in winter, CH? We usually do.We didn't use our coolers. Should have, because duh. We would never use a hammer. The clips holding the shelves are plastic, not a good mix. We used a plastic ice scraper from the truck, but mostly our trusty freezer defroster scoop, till we got close to the shelving. Then we just let the hot water do its thing till everything was soft enough to break out by hand. That's the fun part. I read using a hair dryer is not recommended but can't recall why.

I read that too, D, that frost free is supposed to impact food quality, but we've been using our FF side by side since 1988 and haven't noticed any problems. It does evaporate the ice cubes in the ice maker, but by the time they start shrinking they're stale and icky anyway. Wish we had gotten FF for the upright, but Mom was buying it as a gift and the FF was twice the price. We didn't feel right taking a freezer at all, much less one that expensive. We couldn't pay the difference because she would have insisted on paying and we knew she already had sticker shock. We just need to do a better job keeping up with it. We should schedule an annual cleaning for every January. Then it wouldn't take long and stuff wouldn't thaw.

Got our second shingles shot yesterday so that's done. I hope we're done with sore arms for a while now.

Been researching jewelry storage and I think I'm getting an idea what I want. Wonder if I'll ever get it done. The woman who got rid of it said she got it for a project but never got to it (obvs). I told her it was probably going to be same here. I hope not though. It would be nice to have jewelry storage I like. She was so happy to get rid of that door. At the next sale, that woman was so thrilled to get rid of the night stands and window she couldn't wait to help load them. I think she was afraid we'd change our minds. 🤣 It's spring cleaning time and it shows.

My national parks panel hasn't showed up yet. But it should be here today. Good thing I'm not in a hurry. I'm curious how well the WM fabric will coordinate though.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
SD, it stays a pretty even 50-55F in the garage, too warm to leave food out during the winter. It rarely gets cold enough here outside to put stuff on the back deck for a day or two while we thaw the freezer. It may get to 30 overnight but it'll be back up to 40 or 50 after the sun comes up. Last time I did it, it was a huge mess, too, the water has no where to go, so I soaked all my towels mopping it up. Had half in the dryer and was changing them out every hour or so.

Lately I've been hearing about price increases in commodities and the coming round of inflation and wondering if I shouldn't just keep it stocked up. With only 30-40% of the population vaccinated we're going to continue to have COVID breakouts, shipping delays and bottlenecks for another year.

Kathy I hate scratchy shirts, too. Taken a seam ripper to more than one of them to remove tags.

Chance for rain tonight and tomorrow so I want to get the rest of my planting done today. One section of the tomato bed still needs to be weeded, but I can do it with a shovel now. All the maple seedlings are shooting up and easy to spot. It's going to be a busy day.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #766 ·
I finished the bedroom last night, but all I did after that was finish the button sorting and goof off. Today really is the crowning glory - the living room clean up. I so want this mess that’s always in my face gone. I’ll get through that and then tomorrow try to finish up in the kitchen, bathroom, and utility room. There’s really not much left in any of those. The kitchen looks a bit intimidating but it’s actually almost all a matter of just straightening up. I really want it done by tomorrow because Thursday will be isopod day. They are coming from three places. One shipped yesterday with no arrival date indicated yet, the original order should ship today, and I have one variety I really wanted that is very variable in color, coming from eBay. All the regular shops were sold out of them or were too expensive. There were two eBay sellers and someone beat me to my first choice. I bought the second before I lost it too, but the seller agreed to hold them until I was more ready. I’ll have her ship at the beginning of next week. The supplies should all be here by Thursday though so I’ll start setting up enclosures.

I’m going to get breakfast and then get started. This will be the most rewarding day of the whole project.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
A few years back our fridge broke during winter. I thought food might keep okay out on our balcony. I was wrong. The only thing that did not go bad was a cured ham and some sauerkraut.

I am also wondering when things get back to normal. I wonder how many job places will start to require it. I know if I owned a grocery store or food processing place, I would make my people get vaccinated if they wanted to keep their jobs. I wonder if people who are reluctant to get shots will be forced into it to keep their jobs.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
I can't imagine taking 2 days to defrost a freezer. Wow!

Our health care network tried to force their medical staff to get flu shots a few yrs ago in Duluth. It did not go well and the hospital lost the lawsuit. I don't quite understand it because lots of places and situations require proof of various vaccines. IMO, OSHA should require certain standards to protect workers, which would solve some of the problems. Employers should have to provide PPE, for example, or face heavy fines for endangering their employees. That should have been happening for at least the past yr.

My shingles shot wiped me out. I slept all morning and don't feel any better. I expected arm pain from the shot but both arms are extra painful today. Doesn't make sense. I may have to break out the Motrin because Tylenol isn't doing anything.

I figured out I want to add curtains to the front of the night stands and use the space to store sheets and pillowcases. Haven't figured out what containers to use but eventually I will. Putting sheets in the night stands will empty a drawer under the bed, that I can then use to store the quilts I seem to be acquiring.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #769 ·
There’s an article in the Washington Post today about how shocked people are who get covid after being vaccinated. It’s so easy to overlook the detail that it’s not 100% effective. I tend to forget. We have a long haul in front of us. I have been extremely lucky to be so little affected by it all, but I can hardly imagine how many with different personalities, life situations, and finances are coping. I’m afraid caution is going to continue to crumble as people feel increasingly worn down by the whole thing. I have sympathy for them - but not a shred of it for those who recklessly endanger others by their refusal to cooperate because doing whatever they want to do is all that matters to them. And I despise those who goad others to do the same. All right - I’ll get down from my soapbox now.

it took too long for me to get started, but I’m finally moving along and making progress. It’s astonishing some of the things that are turning up on the worktable. I’m sure it will take all evening to get all the bits and bobs put away. It will be worth it. The house will be much more manageable with so much less stuff in it.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
I watched the CDC update today and also Biden's briefing. Both went over and over the changes in the guidelines FOR THOSE WHO ARE FULLY VAXXED and I know all some people are going to hear is they don't have to wear a mask anymore. They hear what they want to hear and won't hear what was actually said. We're all tired of it but that doesn't change the science.

Got the parks panel. Haven't really looked at it because that would take something resembling energy. I did round up a fridge drawer to use in one of the night stands. I don't have another empty one, so I'm going to have to see what's in use that I might be able to swap. Spent a bunch of time online looking for totes that fit, but nothing at Menards, Target, or WM. Hope I don't have to build something.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
One week to go before I get my second vaccine shot. I'm not looking forward to the possible side effects. Yeah, I know I might not get any or they may be minor but I tend to worry more over the worst case scenarios. I am looking forward to being able to do more things once the following two weeks post-vaccine are up.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
SD, the shingles vax wiped me out too. Hope you feel better soon.

I did ~90 mins in the garden today in 80 degree heat. Old tomato vines ripped out, cages cleaned, weeds dug up, 4 new tomatoes planted. Cucumber and pepper planted, everything watered by bucket. Also cleaned off some of the deck, cleaned pots, and planted geranium and lavender. I'm pooped. DH got the fans out today, says one of them ran for 30 mins and quit.

Went by JA this afternoon, they had some pretty prints:

The blue on the left is part of a panel, 4 images of sea creatures. Could be pillow panels. Not sure what I'll use it for. Got two 1 yd chunks of the dragonfly print. I have another piece of that around. The dog print goes with some strips I have. And of course, a nice grey neutral.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 ·
SD - me too. The shingles vaccine was a bear.

CH - I like the dragonfly print a lot. The watermelon, that I also like, reminded me that when I was reading the ingredients of one of the isopod foods, it had dried watermelon. Really? There can’t be much left after watermelon is dried - lol. Stringy fibers, I guess.

I finally got the robot vacuum out of the box and have it charging. Before I turn it loose I need to do a quick sweep up since after all this the floor is littered with things like plastic bobbins and such. I’ll have to get all that kind of stuff out of it’s way. I also need to get some zip ties out and be sure all the cords are safely up. I put it at the charging station and after a minute or two it startled me when it backed out and repacked itself. Apparently my parking didn’t pass muster.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Finally started hemming the pink top mentioned weeks ago. I find that shortening sleeves and hem makes a top that is too large look OK. I am fine if the body fit is loose but excess length just looks sloppy. Emptied a lot of stuff from the bed/sewing-room closet in preparation for the 2nd dog, just need more floor space - including the closet if left open. I ordered a crate and pad, hopefully only needed a few days and then put away. That affects my WIP organization. I find the clip hangers (like for skirts) work well. If I make a few more zippered/buttoned project bags to hang in the top part of the closet that may work. Project containment/protection. Piles of stuff won't work. Plus - dog hair.
I don't remember the shingles shot being bad, but it was the old single-shot vaccine. I actually had shingles around age 50, felt like the flu. I got treatment with an anti-viral pretty fast and rash was minor.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
It's grey and humid today. The air is heavy and waiting to rain. We got through the night without the AC on, but there won't be too many of those. Feeling achy from yesterday so today is going to be more relaxing. Going to seed tomatoes and cucumbers. Got the deck cleaned up enough I can do it at the table outside without stuff in my way. Have a few herbs and flowers to plant, but probably not today. Not sure if I am going to put the rosemary in a pot or in the ground. Either way it will die over the winter.

Really want to do some sewing today. I got the guild newsletter for May and saw that they are planning a June trip to Missouri Star Quilt Co, which is ~2 hours up the road. I have wanted to go for years. It's $25 for lunch and a tote bag, which is a little much, IMO, but it sounds like fun.

Dlr, for shirts that were to wide I sometimes took them in at the shoulders. I open up the seam at the top and bring it in by half to one inch. Depends on the shirt, of course, but it usually works and looks less baggy.

My mom had shingles and had a bad, painful rash all over. She says it comes back once in a while. Ugh. Not doing that, got my vaccine early.

Hope everyone has a good day today.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #776 ·
I had to quit last night. I was still working on the table and thinking that I would just sort the random bits into sewing vs needlework, bag it, put it in those drawers and organize it later. Nope. Nope. Nope. Later never comes and I would be aggravated every time I opened those drawers. That’s been the history of my life and it’s never worked and won’t work now. I had just reached the point of tiredness where I couldn’t deal with all the miscellaneousness of it. This time around I am determined to do it right, no matter how long it takes so there will be at least some hope of mostly maintaining it.

The worst places in my house for accumulating clutter are the worktable and table by the recliner. I’m setting myself a challenge for May to declutter those every single day and see if this old dog can learn a useful new trick. It would only take minutes if I didn’t let it pile up. I’m using Dana White’s book Decluttering at the Speed of Life for inspiration. I’m not doing it completely her way since I’m organizing as I go, because I have the luxury of the time to do that. She insists on strict only-what-fits-in-the-container approach for every square inch of the house. I’m doing that and it’s amazing how much I’ve cleared out of my living space and won’t miss at all. Not out of the house because there’s that whole thrift store above my head in the attic, but I don’t accept full responsibility for that. If I were able, it would nearly all be hauled to a thrift store somewhere else, but that’s just not possible now. It’s a workable compromise.

So today I’m still working for a while in the living room, but then can move on to the kitchen/pantry. I’ve been doing this for weeks but it is so worth it. It feels like the house is finally getting under control.

The first isopods are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I better keep my nose to the grindstone today because they have to be set up as soon as they arrive. I should get an extra bag of substrate from Amazon today, so maybe I can get the two larger enclosures done tonight. The tiny ones are shipping with the isopods so I can’t do those yet.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #777 ·
Boy, did today ever get derailed. The first isopods came, the large group of 50 mixed varieties. I had been watching tracking and everyday it just said it was shipped and to check back tomorrow for estimated arrival. Fail. I got an email today that it was out for delivery. I really wasn’t ready for them right now. Fortunately the substrate and sphagnum moss arrived from Amazon on time, so I had what I needed for them. I had already received the thin bark and leaves, also a good thing, I’ll be getting better bark hides for them with tomorrow’s shipment and I’ll switch them out, leaving a smaller bit of this.

The group includes some pretty orange ones, and orange ones with white spots, but they were all down in the leaf litter and moss when I took the picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Well, once again I tapped to add my post and it didn't. Congrats on the new arivals, D. You should have lots of fun watching them.

Written this morning:

CH, $25 doesn't sound too horrible for an outing with friends. I hope you get to go. Sounds like a perfect trip for you. Why is it we will spend thousands to go on a trip cross country and pay for tickets far away, but won't go do the same type of interesting things nearby? We've wanted to see the Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth (2hrs), the Greyhound bus museum in Hibbing (1.5 hrs), and the Forest History Center in Grand Rapids (2 hrs) for yrs, but haven't. We humans are a weird bunch. 🤣 🤣🤣

Ren, I was a little worried about side effects of our second Pfizer, too. It's all the unavoidable hype. These vaxxes are new and so closely scrutinized it's all over media if there's even the slightest chance they caused any adverse effect. If it was a flu shot or other OTC or prescription med, you'd only find out about potential side effects if you read the fine print handed out with every med. It's crazy how J&J is being raked over the coals for a very, very few adverse reactions, when lots of other drugs millions happily take routinely are same or worse. At the same time, the transparency is so important after 4 yrs of government lying and coverups and nonsensical conspiracies, so the release of info is comforting in itself.

D, I keep seeing ads for the robot vacs, featuring a husky. It makes me laugh every time. The dust collectors can't be very big, and when huskies are blowing coat, the shedding can be incredible. I don't see how it could keep up.

I didn't react at all to the single dose shingles shot I got a couple yrs ago, and just had a sore arm for 4 days with the first of the 2-dose, so this second took me by surprise. But the pain in my arms is back to normal today and I feel wide awake, so it's all good and sleeping a day beats the heck out of having shingles.

I'm trying to figure out how to alter socks. The last package I bought fit okay in the foot part, but the ankles are so tight they would fit a child. I hate to just throw them out. Didn't find much info but did learn a new word, steeking. Kinda interesting. Apparently no one but me ever wanted to alter socks because I thought Pinterest knew everything. I also need to alter the jeans I just bought, which I knew when I bought them. At least that's easy.

When is the cleaning fairy coming to clear off my work table?

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
You're right SD, I spend lots more on other trips and hobbies. I'll undoubtedly spend more on fabric once I get there. I'd like to do more weekend trips but DH likes to do nothing on his days off. His current job is in a different industry than the previous one and he is still struggling to understand it.

I have noticed the super tight ankles on socks, too. Some of them are narrow all the way down to the heel. I have been wearing slipper socks for the past 5 months though.

Interesting selection of bugs, DC. I like the silvery ones. I was thinking of you when planting my tomatoes yesterday. I have 2 different colors in my garden soil, a dark grey, and sort of brownish ones.

Finished this month's mystery quilt segment. Probably it will be fall by the time I have all the pieces done and can assemble it. Today I made a list of projects in my craft journal. That's a notebook where I sketch designs and ideas. I'm hoping that having a list will help me focus, instead of wondering what to work on and forgetting projects.

Since the only thing I had cut out and ready to sew was the random tiles for the guild charity quilt I went ahead and started on that. I can finish it tomorrow or Friday. Tonight I'm going to do some calculations and try and pick a project to work on next. I really want to use these sweet puppy prints.

It finally rained. It's been warm and oppressive all day. I was sweating just sitting still. Both our fans quit shortly after being plugged in. The next couple of days are supposed to be nicer.

761 - 780 of 920 Posts