Frugal Village Forums banner

781 - 800 of 920 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Buying fabric on a trip like that is like counting the groceries you buy while on vacation as a trip expense. It's not like you aren't going to buy any fabric if you don't go, just like you're not going to fast while on vacation. Let me know if you need any further enabling. 😁

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Trying to figure out if I want to paint these drawer pulls or not. I don't know what kind of plants they represent. Any suggestions on either?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Gosh I would not paint that. Google antique carved wood drawer pulls. This seems similar to oak leaf and acorn like this one Victorian Antique 1870 Walnut Chest or Dresser, Carved Pulls

Very pretty.
I have also decided I need to make a list and just have a few projects in the queue at a time. Finishing some cushions for the rockers (2 sets although rockers don't match.) I ended up braiding lengths from small balls of leftover black yarn, then braiding the braids. Very time-consuming but one way to use up those small balls and get lengths of cordage.
Have not finished the over-the-arm sewing caddy either. I have a quilted panel and a cross-stitch panel which will be 2 large pockets on either side. Need to make the long fabric base and assemble.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
I wouldn't paint a dresser that age either. The ones I'm seeing on auction sites date from the 1860s to the 1890's and are just described as "fruit and nut" pulls. One looks like a pair of figs, Antique Eastlake Victorian Marble Top Chestnut Dresser with Fruit Carved Pulls at 1stDibs and one might be a chestnut Victorian Fruit & Nut Carved Marble Top Chest Dresser | #23783464, but the leaves are not identifiable in any of them. VERY NICE ANTIQUE WALNUT THREE DRAWER CHEST WITH FRUIT CARVED PULLS AND SECRET 4 | eBay

But it's your dresser.

It's turning into a very nice day and later I need to go out and plant the onion starts that I got. As long as the ground is not too muddy. It might need to dry another day.

I figured out last night I can make a simple 42x42" quilt with the puppy print remnant and the coordinating strip set. So while I am procrastinating on doing the backing for the pinwheel quilt that is what I'll work on. I also plan to look for some clay cutters I have in various shapes. They will make good templates for cutting wool circles and diamonds (aka "leaves") for the hand sewing project.

My pile of scraps is getting too large for its space, so I need to chop those into 2.5 and 4" sections, or whatever I can get out of them.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Thanks. The dresser isn't that old. Mom bought it in the 1980s. Not sure if it was new then, but it's made with plywood. She later had a 9-drawer dresser custom made to match. The builder could not find pulls to match so he hand carved all nine himself. She said he charged $125 for the pulls, included in the $400 total for that massive dresser. What a bargain, even back then. I don't know how she finds these people.

I saw similar pulls painted all over with kind of an olive green, then antiqued with a subtle gold. I liked that. The dresser is so boring and has no antique value, so it might be nice to highlight those pretty pulls just to break up the monotonous face of the dresser and give it some personality. But it's not a priority, just something I'm considering. I don't want to paint the whole dresser because it's a fair match in tone to our salvaged bed frame.

Always something to think about. I need to focus better, too.

I did drag in a scrap of wood to practice painting a faux marble finish. I would love to put that on the night stands. I love marble furniture and don't have any. But I'm so inept at any kind of art, I have zero belief I can do it, no matter how easy people claim it is. But I'll try. Wish I could take the rails off the tables to paint the tops, but it doesn't look possible.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
If it's not antique and you don't mind painting it, then a verdigris finish on the pulls might be a nice touch of color. You can find verdigris kits in craft stores, even in cheap acrylic craft paint. I did a plaster wall sconce years ago like that.

Marbling isn't hard, just takes patience. I have done some small scale marbling for dollhouse fixtures. Best tip I heard was to use a feather instead of a brush. You can vary your stroke for a more natural effect than you'd get from a brush. Lots of youtube videos online.

The fabric chopping is going well. I found that a pre-cut 2.5" strip divides exactly into 4 each of the 4.5 and 6.5 pieces I need for each block. How convenient!

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Thanks, CH. I will research that technique.

I've been trying to figure out where I can buy feathers. The only ones I have are faux eagle feathers, too expensive to use for a paint brush. Oh, never mind, I bet HL has some. That store is so new and we've been so seldom I keep forgetting it.

After 14 months at home, we're bored and thinking about going to citywide sales next week. There are a few things we need, but I fear the things we don't but might buy anyway. Ugh. We currently have an abundance of small tables so we're trying to figure out what isn't working, what can be repurposed, what needs to be trashed or donated, what needs to be replaced, and what replacements need to look like. It's frustrating because it involves Husby. He's perfectly happy using any old crappy crud whether it does the job right or if it's totally tacky and falling apart or whatever. He's also not in purge mode lately. The biggest problem right now is his cross stitch setup. It's just a mess and I'm not sure how to make it better. Maybe I'll see something that sparks an idea. I'm kind of excited about these sales. We haven't been saling much for yrs or thrifting since covid and now I have a list of things to look for. I need to make a better list to take along. That should help keep us on track although I know we'll still buy too much. Maybe I'll find some backing for a couple quilts.Ya never know.

I can't beleive how much peace of mind being vaxxed has brought us. Saling is also a good activity since so much is outside and we're not in one place very long. Gotta get my lanyard ready for my mask, DLR. I keep forgetting to say thanks for that idea.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
SD - consider it a vacation and follow your own advice about not thinking vacation spending on what you would eventually get anyway is somehow out of the ordinary. There. Enabling Mode activated. You’re welcome. 😂

The initial isopod order came today. I’m not getting anything done because they are too much fun to watch.

I also ran the robot vac for a couple of minutes this morning. I’m not ready to turn it lose yet, but it and the remote needed to be tested while it is still in the return period. It worked like a charm and it was fun to watch it run around and then direct it via the remote and send it back to dock at the charger. I guess I’m just easily entertained. Lol. Or at this point maybe just anything looks better than more housework. I think I’m going to love the gadget.

it should start raining here any time now. It must be another hand me down weather system from CH. The newly planted trees will be happy. So will I since I love rain. Ah. First thunder. Here we go again.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Aaaaannnnnddddd in today's episode of You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me, I remembered a little steel student desk I salvaged a few yrs ago with no plan in mind. After we moved a snowblower and a couple stepladders and a bunch of whatnot, we got the little beast dug out. Dragged it in and wiped off the garage dust. I also brought in a random bread board to use as a temporary top because I eyeballed it and it looked about the right size. Went to Pinterest because I recall seeing ideas for refurbishing these desks. Here's the first thing I found. Absolutely nuts!
That desk looks about like ours except ours is aqua. It's about the same condition though. Are people really that crazy?

Back to our desk. The bread board looks and fits great for a top, so it will be permanent. I paid $1 for it yrs ago and used it to make a computer desk for the exercise bike, but never liked that. I guess the top is salvage now, so free. I think we have some tan spray paint to clean the top section of the desk up, and steel wool will clean up the legs. I have stash fabric to make a skirt if we decide to, and we'll probably add a couple shelves. I think it will finally corral all his assorted crap he likes by his recliner, including current cross stitch WIPs. Best part, he actually likes it. He moved one of the 2 cabinets he had next to the recliner into his office, and removed a particle board cabinet I've been trying to get rid of for yrs. We may be making progress here.

Kind of excited about the little desk myself now.

As a bonus, I stumbled on another empty fridge drawer that will work in the new nightstands. That's a big help, since I can't seem to buy what I want.

Win, win, win all up in here today!

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Thanks, D. It's not the money for secondhand shopping, it's the excess coming into the house. It's such a struggle getting rid of it again. And I'm way too good at seeing potential in everything, so drag home too many good intentions. I don't have to fix everything just because I can. My latest obsession is jewelry storage. That's not good. And I lose interest in things fast lately. Not good for secondhand buying.

What do isopods do?

Glad you like your little robot.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
SD all you need are a couple of goose feathers. They are cheap online, hope you find a place that has some. I understand your frustration with piles of crappy crud. DH finds it tiresome to sort through boxes after working on other people's problems all day. I didn't understand why my in-laws got rid of everything and moved to a retirement community, but I do now. When one of us dies, the other one is going to have to deal with this mess. Alone.

Hope you figure out your table problem, too. We just Do Not Have Room for end tables and the like. As it is, the coffee table is a pile of crap.

DC, hope your new pets keep you entertained.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 · (Edited)
I was just burned out on too much stuff in the house. I have an advantage though in that I have only my own stuff to deal with. I am getting really tired of this massive project but I am so near the end, I’m going to keep going. I am going to get two more medium totes that will fit under a bench in the utility room and solve my last problems. I am abandoning all the containers that don’t have lids. There is just too much dust out here. If we could live on it I would never have to go grocery shopping again.

Isopods don’t do much except crawl around, or sometimes bumble around, looking cute, eating and pooping (a clean up crew of teeny tiny springtails mostly takes care of that so the enclosure needs pretty much no cleaning until they have eaten through the substrate and it needs to be replaced.) Eventually they multiply if they like their environment. It’s a full happy life when they are catered to and no one wants to eat them. Apparently most can live more or less two years, rarely three. That seems long for such little creatures. Adults of the species I mostly have can get to half an inch long. That‘s bigger than any I ever found in the yard when I was a kid. They’re like little tanks with their armor plating at that size. I think I’m going to enjoy them.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
SD - have fun saling. I get my second shot this coming Tuesday. I'm looking forward to being able to get out more with less worries but not looking forward to the possible side effects. I just got a sore arm with the first one and even that went away within a day. Granted, it was a bit sore if I poked at it the day after that.

One good thing about being inside for the pandemic is that I've become more comfortable in finding virtual events, especially ones I've found through Facebook. (One of the few things good about that time sink of a website.) I recently found weekly zoom meetings for crafters. They have weekly meetings for general crafts on Mondays and one geared more for spinners on Thursdays. I 'went' to my first spinner meeting yesterday and it was very helpful. It was really nice to chat with people and I was able to get some advice on spinning with my drop spindle. I've been meaning to do more spinning this past year as something to do during the shutdown but kept procrastinating. There are a couple of spinning groups/guilds around my area but they're all further away than I'd prefer to drive, at least the meetings held in the evenings. I think they were mostly held during the day when I'm usually working, anyway. Then again, I might look up spinning groups on Meetup to see if there are any closer than that.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'm liking the project bag system. I can work on something for a while, stop and bag it and hang it up or put in a drawer. For some reason pieces of a pillowcase and an old corduroy man's shirt told me to make an apron (mostly the rounded shirt-tail shape). Don't need any more cooking aprons but dog-grooming apron may be useful. Cut off another pair of stretch knit pants for shorts, the first pair (black) are comfortable and look decent. But now I want pockets, good that I saved the scraps.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
This week was really hot and they have not turned on the AC yet at my condo complex. It was one of those don't really feel like doing anything weeks.

The weather cooled down today and I am feeling better. Sunday is supposed to be hot again, but we have AC on Monday.

This weekend I may actually get some crafting in.

I only have my first shot, but my second is scheduled, so I am feeling pretty good about that.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #796 ·
I decided I could do no more until I gathered up the trash and boxes and carried it all out. So. Much. Trash. I don’t want to see the neighbors’ faces when they see the pile. They often burn trash on the weekends so I wanted to get it all out tonight. Yet again I did very little during the day. It will be easier to see what is left now that so much has been moved out, so maybe tomorrow. Now it actually looks like I’m near the end. I’m not going to need the two totes after all, so hooray for that.

Sharon gave me a bag of seashells, many broken, and I’ve put off sorting through them. For about five years now. Ridiculous. I’ll do that tonight, toss the bad ones - more trash - and put aside the good ones to clean up and put with my others. Then I think I’ll just continue my life of goofing off.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
DC, put the broken sea shells into your garden. They are mostly calcium and will be good for the soil.

I goofed off a lot today, too. Cut some strips but did not get anything sewn.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
CH - good idea. It makes sense. I could crush them up a bit to give more surface to weather. I’ve pulled out the ones I want, and spent a little time with google and YouTube to see how to make them look better. Seems like a scrub, someone suggested toothpaste, and them a coat of mineral oil to give them a nice finish and protect them without making them unrealistically shiny. I’ll get mineral oil on my next grocery trip and give it a go.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
I finally have everything for the attic gathered up. It will eventually go up. It was pouring rain this morning so the trash is still sitting there but it will vanish soon too and it’s not in the house so I don’t care when that happens. The decluttering is done! Some things still need to be put away but the big cull is over. The floors are shocking because I have not so much as swept since I started this weeks ago. No matter. I’ll do that this week. I’m taking a break but then will then try to put everything away at last. If I do that, I will STITCH tonight. If not, tomorrow for sure. It’s been a pain, but so worth it.

781 - 800 of 920 Posts