Frugal Village Forums banner

801 - 820 of 920 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Thanks, CH. I have an assortment of hermetic jars, including the 4 Fido jars we use for HM mixes. Love them.
I also have five other smaller round ones, four 1-qt blue glass vintage mason side wire jars, one or two blue pint side wires, and a 2-qt blue side wire jar. Plus all the screw top mason jars and a couple dozen half gallon repurposed olive jars from WM. I'm pretty much out of space at this point.

Busy day here today. Dog food all morning, along with finishing up the redo of the bathroom cabinet pullout made into 2. MUCH easier to handle now. The shelf they're on is shoulder height to me, and the single basket was just too heavy to pull out and tip it down a little to find stuff.

Been researching jewelry storage and finding some ideas for my free door. I'm excited about working on this project, unlike the medicine cabinet version. I used 12 one lb pkgs of turkey for the dog food today. It came in green plastic trays which my brain translated into potential jewelry trays, so I washed and saved them all, just in case. The squirreling away of odd building materials has begun. Still trying to figure out a good way to store beaded necklaces that can't be hung for storage. Trays will probably be it. I might make little drawers instead though. They're easy and cheap.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
I think I found a couple elements for the jewelry cabiinet. I love the screen for hanging earrings on the left, and the pegboard inside. That seems like a great solution that provides flexibility if things need to be rearranged over the yrs, and as luck would have it, I already have a huge box of pegboard hardware I bought yrs ago for $2. I might have some pegboard around, too. Will still need some trays or drawers, but I think these are a great start.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
SD - the screen for earrings is a clever idea.

I’m quitting for the night. I didn’t get everything put away, but the kitchen/pantry area is completely done. A couple of the guys came and put everything in the attic. One of them carried some stuff home. I told them whenever they want they can all have a treasure hunt up there. Next winter when it’s bearable. Lol. Even better than thrift stores because it will be free. I feel like I can breathe in the house now. It’s appalling how our first world stuff just accumulates and accumulates. Looking at most of the world it’s embarrassing. At least whatever is in the house now is valued and will be used. The stash is still really large, but that’s about having choices for projects.

I’m too tired to stitch tonight, but I’m reclaiming the nights for fun. I’ll start catching up on one of the SALs tomorrow.

I’m proud of myself for seeing this through. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
wow everyone has been so busy! that is a nice jewelery idea. Congrats DCompton! and if anyone says they are bored they can shop in the attic lol has been one of those weeks of rainy mornings but lovely afternoons. Think spring is the reorg time. dh got ds to mow lawn run over the volunteer flowers so not happy w him but he isn't happy (though he says he is fine w it) of me getting him to move the beams in side yard so I can put esplandered? trees etc there. they were leftover 2yrs or more years ago from neighbours house building. don't know what we would ever do with them and have so many.. but the cats were only ones using it so they aren't happy.
ds and friends were bored so said burn old bills in cement ring and roast marshmellows. well neighbour two doors down had to come over and say no and get them worked up and then come over to dh about. think he would be those people who would turn you into the nazis for hiding jews cus the law. he better not being phoning dh for tech help anytime soon. and he will be bitching to the neighbour old men... our actual neighbours are way better.

so men on the bad list this weekend lol. ds just finished his train whistle from woodworking at school to turn in needed sanding etc. said blow it at 2am out the window lol you can hear the trains late at night and there is a lot of condo towers at the river right the train tracks/yard and a bunch of people moved and started complaining about train noise.. there is a lot of trains in our part of the world and they hug the water of course so really. well lol think a stiff drink is in order. did finish the two lovelies except need to sew heads on better. started on a lap blanket for kids old teacher who still doesn't know if the cancer is pallative or not. has to get feeding tube in colon. hopefully can be cured. so that is the main project for now. have to mail it to her.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
I rarely wear my jewelry any more so it sits in ornamental boxes on the dresser. I did polish my good silver and bag it in tiny zip bags a few years ago to keep it from tarnishing.

I thought the square jars were interesting and unusual. Too bad you don't have more room, SD.

Have not found my clay cutters, they are like little cookie cutters. Buried with stuff somewhere. It's been over a year I don't remember where everything got put. I'll find some other small objects to trace around for my wool project.

Thought we were going to have storms last night but it completely missed us so I'll be setting up the sprinkler today. Yesterday on close examination I found the spot where the clematis vine split into 3 along the length of the vine. It's not completely broken off but the existing foliage is not going to survive. Sigh. I don't know if it will regrow this season or not.

Going out tomorrow for my quarterly blood testing. Have a chance to visit Hobby Lobby, but can't think of anything I need right now. I'm in need of plastic storage but they never had a good selection, and not the one I use most often.

Hope everyone's week starts well.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
I like the perforated paper idea, but don't think a drawer would work for me. I haven't been wearing jewelry much either, but have decided I should be. I like jewelry, so why not? I have jewelry boxes but have never properly organized them, and some of that space is not being used correctly. What inspired me is the free door from the garage sale. This project has been simmering a couple yrs now, hence the hated medicine cabinet. Now that the door has fallen into my lap and seems right, it also seems like the right time to do something with jewelry organizing. Some of my jewelry is on the back side of a door on the wardrobe I want to move to the guest room, so it needs a new home. Lots of little things converging to encourage me to get this done.

I need some little drawers in the new space. That's why I saved the plastic meat trays. But I have 2 jewelry boxes with nothing but drawers. I think they would fit inside what I plan to build, and be a huge help. Menards also have some little Plano compartmented boxes that would work nicely for some of my beaded necklace/earring sets. I could cut art foam to fit in the bottoms of the compartments for some padding.

I decided necklaces can't be hung on any surface that moves, and earrings can't be hung so they can bang against anything else. I like the idea of the earrings hanging on a large screen. The necklaces that can hang will go on the pegboard section.

I'm going to look for an old flatware box to make over for jewelry, too. I have a big chunk of anti-tarnish felt to line it with. I'm not in a hurry for that project but I could make good use of it.

Good thing I think planning a project is half the fun.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My second COVID shot is tomorrow. Not looking forward to the possible side effects. Most people have been saying they've at least gotten tired. Still a bit frustrated about it though. I was supposed to get an email about my second shot in the week before the scheduled day but never received it. Then again, most places are accepting walk-ins (for first shot) anyway. While I had planned to just walk-in to the same place I got my first shot, I did call the number on the state site and asked why I didn't get the email. Apparently emails regarding second shots weren't considered needed if you have the date confirmed (which I did almost immediately after I got my first shot). Argh. Conflicting information is so annoying. And the kicker is, my work (which is usually very good at getting vaccines in general for staff) finally got their supply of the vaccine. Of course, they got it this past week - right before I was going to get my second shot. Then again, the organizers at work did suggest getting the vaccine at other places if possible.

Been pretty lazy crafting-wise, although I found an online spinning group that has 'meetings' on Thursdays. Spinning is something that I wanted to focus on learning during the pandemic. So I'm glad I found this group.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 ·
We were without power from 2:00-8:30. Grumble. But this time not the company’s fault. A tree fell on a main line, crashing both into a lake. Apparently it was hard to get the equipment to it. They finally got the tree off the pole, and then had to put in a new one and get it rigged up. I guess they deserve credit for doing it as quickly as they did.

Its hard to stitch in the emergency lights I can muster so I started the absolutely worst job of all - going through papers. What I have left of things to put away is consolidated on one cart by where it goes, but we have rain moving again and I was too achy to run around putting it in place. Tomorrow. Maybe I can also finish the wretched paper culling.

I’m too tired to start stitching now. That will have to wait for tomorrow too. That’s ok. I’ll just listen to audiobook and work on putting the tatting thread on spools.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Ren, hope your 2nd shot goes well and you have few side effects. We had some confusion here too, both DH and I got emails telling us to make appts for our 2nd dose, but we had been given dates and times when we got our first shots so there was no need. I had fatigue about 6 days, only the first few days were bad. DH is on day 3, doing ok but not a lot of energy. It may help to stay hydrated. The nurse told me that, and I remember being very thirsty on the 2nd or 3rd day, and DH said the same thing. DH says his arm pain is gone but it itches now, a good sign. If your first shot didn't cause bad reactions then the 2nd shouldn't either.

DC, glad you made it through without power. Hope you can stitch all day tomorrow. Send some of that rain back to me.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Back when I was physically coming into work, I would wear a necklace every day. But since I have started teleworking full time, I have not worn any necklaces at all.

There are a few stressful things to deal with at work but nothing too bad. I want to add more crafting in - or at least more breaks - to help keep the stress down.

We are gradually using up some of the food stash. Back when they were having limits on buying meat we picked up some non meat sources of protein. This included a pack of chia seeds. They expand a lot in water, so one package lasts a long time. Last week my husband made chia seed pudding. It was really good. And it is a no cook recipe, good for hot days.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Ren, I was apprehensive about the second shot, too, but side effects were minimal and very worth it. Sorry you had some glitches, but considering what a heavy lift it is for all involved to have gotten 230,000,000 shots administered in such a short time, IMO we as a nation are doing well. The logistics of it all are mind boggling, from manufacturing to doses going into arms. I do understand your frustration, though. I'm happy you're almost done. It will be a relief for you.

Glad you got your power back, D. Sounds like you put the time to good use, even if on an annoying, boring task.

CH, we were lucky. We got texts to confirm our appts but that was all. The glitch was, for some reason I get Husby's texts for his appts now, and it wouldn't allow me to respond to each separate text. Who knows why?

Kathy, we're working through excess food here, too, mostly dehydrated stuff. I also made batches of fried rice, enchiladas, and some other stuff for DIY convenience foods in the freezer, now that it's clean and organized and forty-eleven pounds of ice were removed. Froze some leftovers, too, for more convenience. Feels good to be getting food back under control. Still overstocked on meats but I'm sure not complaining about that at all.

Ugh. It's snowing. I might have to complain about that. Not like it would help.

Took some actual measurements for the jewelry case project. The door is 40" high. I was thinking more like 36". Oops. I had been thinking about making it so it could sit on the dresser (attached) or be hung on the wall later if need be. I might be able to find wall space for it here, but that's iffy. At any rate, it's definitely going to be built for either/or now. That thing's going to be a monster. I also found out 2 of my jewelry boxes have 12 drawers (combined) so I think my drawer shortage is solved. I never used the drawers for much because the stuff in them is stupidly stored in little boxes which take so much room there's no room for anything else. Waste of space, so have to do better. Some are also too deep, so trying to figure out how I can stack necklace sets in those. I think plastic canvas boxes would work and not scratch anything. I will NOT throw stuff in them till they're just packed full! I hate not being able to find things and having a big tangled mess that takes hrs to sort out and then end up with broken jewelry. No, thanks. Anyway, I'm starting to get sort of a plan now. It helped to look at all my available storage and take measurements.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I finished some of my more stressful things at work so I am feeling better.

I have gotten back to my "joy" embroidery. Basically the word joy filled in with beads, buttons and random stitches. I have a bunch of beads and buttons I have not been doing much with. I am trying to use them more in my embroidery. The primary color is orange.

At work I have been learning Spanish or at least trying to learn Spanish. Right now I am supplementing it with Spanish teaching videos on youtube. I am looking for videos that look somewhat entertaining.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Thanks, folks. Turns out the site I had to go back to did require an appointment because they had one of those scan squares to check in. Thankfully, they had someone on site who was able to do something to push the system into acknowledging me as 'having' an appointment. So I got my second shot. So far, I have a sore arm. I only had a sore arm for the first shot as well. Given all the shots that have already been done, a lack of an email is only a minor glitch.

dc - glad you got your power back.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Finished braiding yards of black yarn to make ties for the chair cushion so that is done and the 2 rockers look nice with matching cushions. I think the yarn braids would make good drawstring ties for bags or other cordage needs. May do some more braiding with neutral colors. Going to work on the shorts hems and try for pockets also.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #817 ·
I’ve decided to take the day off. Mostly. I didn’t get any thread on spools last night, and honestly couldn’t say what I did until bedtime, other than eating a very late supper since nice I could cook again. At normal supper time I had to settle for tuna and crackers and it was not satisfactory.

I got out the Peppermint Purple sal that I’m doing with the tatting thread, and found that was still on bobbins, which didn’t work at all, so I have that to put on spools. I also got it all out and spent a good bit of time figuring out the confusing state it was in. There were balls I had done nothing with yet, partial ones that I had wound some on bobbins, partial ones where some was already on spools. Then I had to find the bobbins and spools and get them matched up to see where I really was. At least now that is getting sorted out. I’ll get all the bobbined thread on spools so there’s no more confusion, and then finally start stitching.

I have to call the lawyer who did my medical power of attorney. There is a clause in it that I want to donate organs but have my body intact for burial by my husband, Mr someone or other III. I don’t remember the name. What the heck??? I’ve never been married and never heard of this guy. Sharon who holds the power got it out and noticed it when I was in the hospital. I’ve just delayed dealing with it, which is inexcusable. I HATE dealing with papers and official stuff. I came across it last night. Sigh. Mustn’t keep ignoring it because it won’t go away by itself.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Glad your shots are done now, Ren. I hope all you have is a sore arm. That seems like the most common complaint.

DLR, yarn might be too 'sticky' for drawstrings, but could work if the casing was a little oversized to give the yarn more space to slide.

I took all my earrings off the plastic canvas they were on and put them in an earring box I have. I don't think that's going to work out at all, so will probably rehang them all. The box has dividers made more for posts than dangles. The box needs a makeover on the outside, but is in perfect shape inside, so will probably keep it for some short earrings. Here's part of what I just redid, on the back of the wardrobe door. It worked well except it banged no matter how careful I am, and it wasn't well organized.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just got my first shot today. Have about a quarter of the basement where I really want it to be in organizing, It is a shuffle shuffle move type thing. my little 3 yr old granddaughter helped with some of it. I had to find the light things she could move. I am almost to the point of moving my fabrics from upstairs to the basement. The kiddos are loving the finding of old toys that they want to play with. Remember moonboots from the "90's" We still have them and they are loving them. New piano students will start in July. and friends have kids that have tested positive for covid. ( 15 yr old and 12 yr old) they don't have shots for them yet. after family leaves ( 2 kids and their families are coming for a 12 day visit, so I will have all my grandchildren here for that time frame, I will get to go back to the sewing I need to do ( new shelves for a shoe rack.) the fabric is more like those give away grocery bags and it just didn't hold up to the use it was getting put through. I found some heavier fabric in my room shuffle that is more heavy duty and should work good for the "shelf" part and should be a quick fix.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have found that shoelaces work well for draw strings. The knots are secure when in use and untie easily when I want to untie them.

I have it with one skirt, but I plan to do more skirts like it.

801 - 820 of 920 Posts