Frugal Village Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1239 Posts

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
SD, I hope you get some rain soon. I understand the drought has been a problem out west and up your way for years. I am wondering how the west coast population shift will affect things in years to come. People are abandoning California for the middle of the country by the thousands. That changes water needs and usage in so many ways.

Good that you can find a use for the old hardware.

You're making good progress on your flowers, DC. Looking forward to pictures when it is done.

Dlr, clever idea to make over the bag. I have a couple drawstring "backpacks" that are awkward to use, but made of sturdy material. I ought to see if they can be re-made into something useful.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
that is a great idea for those bags ! I hear you Kathy we are more blue collar too cus we aren't going out to Mexico every year or have a cottage etc. or fashion clothing etc. Ch any little girl who loves frozen will love that quilt. I remember when it came out and I was doing sparks..k/1 age halloween 80 percent were frozen characters.

Nice Spirit ! here they want higher rates for herd immunity.. our province has always been more strict. but I hear you about people who don't want the vaccine though some don't make sense. We have the political ones, flat earthers conspiracy all seem to be on the same bandwagon and mostly for attention it seems. the reg anti vaxxers etc. one area follow rules.masks, kids online schooling but low vaccine rates but you would think they would be running for it. other always highest rates of covid not following rules well..they started pop up clinics to help. but overall the percentage is higher then they thought it would be at this time. sigh though it is getting old though.

rained all night here nice and cool. got a few more rounds done on the blanket. allergies up still so no big plans except housework and laundry. have to go register the car and get insurance. get the old one sold. figure all that out.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
SD, I hope you get cooler whether soon.

I think some people living in California have moved to Arizona and New Mexico which are also pretty bad for drought. I thought about Arizona and New Mexico for retirement destinations, but my husband is against it because of drought issues. I think he is pretty inflexible on that.

I feel like he might be more flexible on the cold weather and snow issue. If we just go to places very close by or take taxies during bad weather it should be okay. In retirement, we could also choose to just go out during the afternoon when it is warmer

Before telework, in the middle of winter we would catch the morning bus before the sun was up. So the coldest part of the day. I don't think we would normally be out before sunrise in the winter after retirement.

I think people probably assume I have less family income than I have based on my visible spending. For example, bring lunch into work, bringing in tea bags, not getting new clothes very often. Like the assume I can't afford Starbucks or buying lunch from our overpriced cafeteria or getting new clothes each season. Technically, I could afford those things. I just choose not to spend much on them because they are not important to me.

What is important to me is being able to retire with a decent income. Also books and crafts a jigsaw puzzles.

My coworkers know roughly how much I make. In the government your income is set by a combination of your job and your years of experience. And milestone years of service are announced to the whole agency. What they don't know if how much my husband makes. Based on how frugal I am, they probably think not very much.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
I'm hoping for rain, too. There's another fire in the BW. Not sure where and it's only 2 acres, but there's been a plane(s) flying in or out over our house all afternoon. Probably USFS doing fire recon, now that I think about it. Their seaplane base is nearby.

We ruled out the desert southwest for retirement early on. Mom wintered in AZ in the '80s and there were water issues already then. Besides, it seems like a desert would be too dusty. I haven't researched that because we're not interested, but it seems logical that dry + wind = dusty. Plus there's the heat, and I don't care how dry the heat is. 110 degrees is miserable no matter how you slice it. We did consider Phoenix or Vegas before moving to Minneapolis. Glad that didn't work out.

State workers' incomes are published in the paper here every now and then. Not specifically but within a range. So people had some idea what Husby made. I guess I've never thought of myself as interesting enough that people spent time thinking about our income. We return the favor by not caring about theirs. :D

Cold weather is much less of an issue now that Husby is retired and we have a plow service. World of difference. The main thing we have to do now is keep the car batteries charged, but that's what trickle chargers are for.

I saw an idea on Pinterest to use a dollar store grease splatter shield for stud earring storage. I'm considering several options but I like the idea. No work.

I finally figured out how to make my latest earring project. I could not get the white beads in the center row to line up to save my life. Brick stitch does not line up straight vertically, and I was having trouble with that. The model picture is black, white, and silver, and the black is impossible to see in detail. But today I ran across lighthouse earrings made the same way, with a picture that printed out with every detail clearly visible. I was on the right track, just missing a couple details. Too hot to do much but sit around beading. This earring is more colorful IRL. I like it. I have a nice new tee they will match.

·
Registered
575 Posts
made 2 new "shelves" for a shoe rack that the shelving just ripped apart. They are made with a faux fabric that was easy to tear so had to replace them. Now to get them actually on the rack. That takes taking apart the rack to add the shelves in. got a few more blocks cut for a quilt to sew in between other projects. got doll panty and diaper pattern made for a friend who is wanting to make some doll clothes for her 3 girls. the twins just turned 3. tomorrow is my last day subbing on the organ for a while, and I am also doing music for the children for their zoom part of church. and it is swim season here so am bartering free piano lessons for free swim lessons. a win win for both of us. back at working more on my basement to get it really ready for a big sewing/craft space for me. and getting the room upstairs ready for the boys to move into. So still lots going on. and when I get a few minutes at a time I have been working on the afghan again too. I did get tomatoes planted, peppers and green beans, watermelon, and squash in too, I have pin cherries ready to harvest which I hope to get tomorrow, and a couple of my blueberry bushes are loaded. DH needs to net them up soon so the dang birds don't get them all.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
So this coming week we will be doing some touch up paint. And also going through old things and tossing them.

We are taking the week off. Not working on this the whole time. I want to do some enjoyable things.

I have tossed a series of books on finding your colors. The whole issue with them is this idea that you have to find clothes in very specific shades. In practice this is difficult. For example, my power color is a dark grayish blue green.

Also going is a beautiful deluxe book set. This fiction series ends with the thought that humanity is pretty much doomed, but at least the planet will be able to regenerate itself. There was a movie made of it that was modified quite a bit to give a more upbeat ending.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,127 ·
So much rain! It’s ended for today but there may be thunderstorms tomorrow. I have to go to town for a doctor appointment so I hope that changes. Maybe at least we’ll have a day for the water to seep down, if there’s any place left to seep to. We got at least 5-6”. I can’t see how extensive my bog is because the grass is so high. It’s been too wet to mow there for at least a couple of weeks. SD - it’s not fair that you’re having Louisiana summer. There should be a trade off for all your snow. CH - are you in the heat wave? Anyone else?

CH - when is your trip? I’m eager to see what you find in quilter paradise.

I had a big day yesterday on the flower sal. Black eyed Susan, daffodil, lily of the valley, fireweed, pansy, and sunflower. That’s the first day I’ve done 6. Of course that depends on how dense the patterns are. I’m glad I ordered another spool of the thread because it’s going fast. That’s hard to believe since it’s a 500 yard spool. Even if I don’t need it, it’s worth it to have it just so I don’t have to keep watching the spool and wondering if there will be enough. I’m staying with this one until I get all of last year’s blocks finished.

SD - I would be a nervous wreck in your fire situation.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
DC our quilt shopping trip is going to be on the 14th. Will be a busy weekend, as I am meeting a friend for the dollhouse show on the 11th, and we have a dinner on the 13th, and then up early Monday for the drive.

I think our temps this week are slightly above normal, whatever normality is these days. I've lived here 22 years and not seen two years with the same weather. Sometimes it's 80 in February and 50 in August and anything in between. We have had an awful lot of rain in the last month though.

Not many people in Kohl's today. More people at Lowes, but not weekend crazy like normal. A few wearing masks but no longer required. DH said he felt weird, he hasn't been anywhere in over a year. I got lettuce seed and more sunflowers. A year ago this week they were 2ft tall. None I planted this year came up.

Stepson hadn't got his shot yet. Had a lot of excuses about not having found time yet, got a lecture from his dad, and then from me. Like a lot of kids his age just doesn't realize what is important.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Right now my husband is backtracking a bit on how much stuff he wants to accomplish this week.

He did a few hours of stuff this morning. No heavy lifting, but lots of reaching up and bending over. He felt pretty worn after that.

Health and age has to be taken into account into what is reasonable.

I have been sorting a bit more of books and related things. Some stuff is easier for me to give up than others. Sometimes it will be going smoothly and then suddenly my hoarder anxiety will kick in. I am not sure if it is the type of item or how many things I have tossed.

I am thinking of re-reading some of the books I have. For non fiction, the main criteria is whether they are books I would want to re-read. So a suspenseful book or one with a major plot twist is not likely to be re-read. Comedies and lighter books are more likely to make the cut.

Sometimes I can't even remember how much I liked the book due to how much time passed

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Decluttering is a process. I've gone through cookbooks many times, each time convinced there were no more I ever wanted to get rid of. This last time I pulled out 49 to get rid of. I can see since I started beading again that cabinet needs another purge, even though I got rid of so much last time. Clothes. Kitchen stuff. Woodworking books and patterns. It never ends. What we found was the big purges never worked for us. It's mentally, physically, and sometimes emotionally exhausting, so we can't do it for a whole day, much less a week. For a lot of things, an hour or 2 at a time is about all we can stand. Of course if we have to empty a room, that requires more expedient action. Luckily that's only happened a couple times. Lately we tend to focus on one type of item at a time, like the cookbooks, or one area, like the master closet that's on my hit list to do soon.

I made this guy today. Hearts, gnomes, and rainbows. What else do I need?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
omg spirit the gnomes are so cute! Yes think older you get slower the pace unless forced too. and doesn't really end look and look at again. though my cousins coming will get some things done that need it here.

rain storms here off and on.. gone from 80s and a/c to heat on this morning. rain started again just pours and then stops guess random clouds. dh and dd braved weekend crowds of ikea to look for a light for her but she is picky about light bulb colours cus leds too bright . well said go look at grandmas for old lamps.

found a caron cake that matches the blanket that I only have one ..rereleased buttercream caron cake that doesn't really look like the original which was all shades of cream that I never got many cus not available. this one more gray and some greenish in it so like a whole different colour. but goes with the blanket. dh and ds are out getting arbys about 1hr and a half round trip.. for dinner but that is the closest.. orange shakes he likes are out. plus he gets a sandwich for tomorrows lunches. they are doing the brisket special which is so good!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I do better mentally only trying to get rid of a few things at a time. If you have to make a trip to dispose of them that's not very efficient. There are 2 little free libraries in dog-walking distance so I'm willing to carry just 1-2 books to deposit.
I want to move bead supplies to my office once I clear another shelf. There is not much. I spray-painted 3 small assorted containers for the office shelving. Some more work to do but pleased so far.
Finished 1 pocket in the denim jumper, do the other one today and return it to the closet.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,134 ·
I prefer big decluttering projects. Just get it done and not have it nagging at me. It feels so good to hit the finish line.

yesterday I did the Blackfoot daisy, poinsettia, anemone, iris, and started the calla lily

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It does really feel like a process. There was an area of books we went through a couple weeks ago. And just this weekend my husband found more books in the same bookcase to get rid of.

And after he said he had gotten rid of all the things he wanted to get rid of on that shelf. I looked over and saw some series I don't think either of us will read through again. But I didn't say anything because I already had a huge pile to take out to the recycle bin outside.

And today I left a couple books on the shelf that were kind of iffy...mostly because I thought I had already tossed enough. Thinking about it, I will probably toss them.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
When it comes to books we have the best intentions... I have books I bought 40 years ago that I never read, but intended to, and have kept. Books I bought last year that I intend to read, but haven't made time for. Boxes of books I intended to sell last year, some I might be able to sell this fall if events are allowed. Romance books I should list on ebay but can't be bothered with. No free libraries in my area.

Hot and humid today, I have stuff to do in the yard and out of the house. Looking like a busy week ahead.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Books were a hot button issue for Husby. He had over 5,000. He also never got rid of a book he had read, even though he doesn't read books more than once. He finally decided to get rid of what he had read, which helped. He kept buying more though, so we weren't really getting anywhere. We were still going to garage sales every weekend then, so they piled up. He tracks the books he reads, so he knows how many books he reads in a yr. I got him to do the math and he started to see he would have to be well over 100 just to read what he already had, and that would be only if he never read another library book or bought another book or did any more cross stitch. Hard to argue with facts like that so he dumped a few thousand more. He also hated e books, so thought he had to keep all his books. Since covid, he has done a 180 on e books, so now he complains if he can't get a book in a series that way. E books allow him to get rid of even more. We're getting there.

We can usually find additional stuff to get rid of in freshly sorted things, too. Focus changes between sorting sessions, and I think especially at the end of a sorting session, we just get tired and switch to autopilot, doing things without as much thought as when we're fresher.

I can sort and organize obsessively, if it's a limited catagory. I expect to get through the bead stuff fairly quickly, once my work table is cleared. The summer I purged and organized the garage, I worked on it almost every day, but usually only 2-4 hrs at a time. I could never have done it all day long. It was a miserable job. The only fun I had was building the lumber rack, which was a big project in itself. For me anyway.

I figured out my underwear pattern, so can get busy on that project. Underwear that fits and isn't falling apart, what a beautiful concept. I hate doing stuff like that one at a time. It just takes too long. I also realized marking elastic and fabric after the fabric pieces are sewed together is what takes the most time, so the new pattern I modified so it isn't cut on the fold will be marked with 8 points to match with the elastic, which will get corresponding marks from templates I'm going to make. Enough of this amateur nonsense following instructions. It's boring enough to do this kind of sewing and worse when it's unnecessarily slow.

Now that the undies issue is decided, I can get back to my regularly scheduled beading. Maybe I'll get the second gnome done today. I'm kinda tired of that project.

We have another fire going now. Oh, joy.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,138 ·
The end of the empty spools story. I hope. Remember I came up short? Feared they were thrown away? Reordered from a different shop? They came? I just got an email that the first shop has mailed a package. What? Did they not all come the first time? I admit I didn’t count them, but if it was just a partial shipment, I missed that info. I am going to have so many spools! I have no idea what I’ll do with all of them. This is insane.

I’m rethinking continuing with the flower sal right now. I keep forgetting I promised Sharon a piece after Christmas. I am quite out of love with the one I started, ran out of floss, and had to restart. Barely. There is one in the series now with calla lilies, and I think I’m going to get that pattern and do it for her. I have a really pretty blue and green variegated that would be good for the tiles, and the calla lilies are purple. It should be a pretty combo.

I’m at my appointment and severe thunderstorms should be moving in just about the time I’m leaving. They may involve large hail. Driving home may be exciting. Here’s hoping they don’t arrive quite on schedule.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
DC, hope you don't have to drive in the hail and severe conditions.

Been puttering around cleaning up stuff, filling trash bags for tomorrow. Friend called and invited me downtown to pick cherries in her urban orchard. I'll do that tomorrow. I thought they had lost the cherries to that extreme cold spell, but I guess not. Then Wed I get to pit them. Worth it though.

SD, your earrings are cute. Hope you get them finished. I'm still waiting on my opal beads from India. Talk about a slow boat... I like that e-books don't take up physical space, but I still have a bunch of unread ones on both my Kindles. I must be getting old, these days I'd rather nap than read.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
DC, I hope you get home before the storm.

My dad was a hoarder and his primary thing was books. The thing was he would pick up books even if he never intended to read them. For example, he would sometimes pick up romance novel at garage sales - even though he never read romance novels. My mom did not either, so he wasn't buying them for her.

Right now I am think about reference books. Not the kind of non fiction books that are read cover to cover. But books used to look stuff up in. For example, books on cat health. I am actually more likely to just look up stuff on line. And the information in the books is not current.

1121 - 1140 of 1239 Posts