Frugal Village Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1239 Posts

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,141 ·
Nope. Didn’t make it home before the storm. No hail, but that was the only good thing. It started just as I left the doctor’s office and the skies opened up. I was on one of the busiest streets in Shreveport and it was like driving through surf. The windshield wipers couldn’t keep up, even when not moving. Visibility was so bad the street markings weren’t visible and you could barely see the tail lights of the car in front. In a 55 mph stretch even the wild red neck pickups slowed to 20 like the rest of us, but that was probably still too fast for the conditions. I considered stopping to see if it slacked off, but knowing I had those country roads at the end of the journey, I didn’t want to give them extra time to flood. Finally turning south it eased some but was still quite heavy and there was already plenty of water to slosh through before I got home. It was some white knuckle driving for sure. When I got home I changed clothes and decided to heck with diabetes and made brownies. I’ve had an early supper now and I’m going to chill the rest of the evening. Probably start the new piece for Sharon.

I could toss 90% of my remaining books and not miss them because I never read now. It’s all audiobooks so I can stitch while I listen. I’m hanging onto those I haven’t read that still interest me because if the day comes when because of arthritis I can’t stitch, or not much, I’ll want them then.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Did not move the beads but I created space in the office shelves for the box of floss. Makes sense because the Aida is in the office closet and use the computer when when trying to kit up a project. Both Mary Maxim and JoAnn gave me free shipping coupons so temptation is strong. Reminding myself I have 4 different yarns on hand probably sufficient for baby blankets, plus enough to do several small projects.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
I've let go of some nonfic books due to them being outdated, too.

Got the brick stitch done on the gnome. Nightmare! I think the fringe can wait for tomorrow. Your day sounds about like mine went today, D. Glad you got home okay.

Husby's busy convincing himself the AC thermostat was wired wrong. sigh It was either wired by me or one of the myriad HVAC guys we've had here. It's not wired wrong. He just doesn't want to call the new HVAC guy.

We may or may not get ¼" of rain tonight. Of course, we may just get the thunder and lightning. I used to enjoy thunderstorms, but when it's this dry, nuh-uh.

Jane Fonda's back in town, protesting the Enbridge pipeline. There's always something environmentally controversial going on around here.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Haven't really done much (any, really) done on the lapgan. It's been hot and sticky the past couple of days. I'm actually impressed I've done as much as I have with my garden.

We're supposed to get rain today and possibly tomorrow. We've been getting rain at least once a week the past couple of weeks. That's a good thing since April and May were really dry.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,145 ·
That somewhat illicit chocolate fix with the brownies was quite restorative. No regrets. I was so traumatized from surf boarding through Shreveport in my little car that I forgot the sinkhole. 😂 When I was almost home, on one of the streets that is part of the only access route to our little area, I came to a sinkhole. It’s a barely two lane road and the sinkhole completely covered one lane. The other lane felt a bit iffy when I drove over it. There was a barricade up and presumably they worked on it later. It had to be fixed ASAP since it’s the only way in for emergency vehicles. We’ve just had too much water all at once. But there is no rain the forecast for four whole days! Afternoon heat showers could pop up randomly since we have finally moved into more normal temperatures but it will be a nice break for things to dry out a little. SD - I hope you get some rain soon. I would have sent you some of ours if I could.

I finished up the calla lily block on the flower sal and put that away. I picked out the little I had done on the daffodil tiles and started that with the calla lily set. The thread I planned to use was lighter than I remembered so I dithered around a long time deciding what to do with it. I finally pulled out the tatting thread I’m using for the other sal. It’s dark purples and rosy fuchsias. I’ll use that for the tiles and regular floss for the cross stitch part. I think I will have enough of the thread for both, but if I don’t I’m really losing interest in that sal anyway. I’ll keep collecting the patterns each week but it’s definitely on the back burner. I have a lot of more interesting patterns.

this is the new tile pattern.
Dutch Tiles - Calla Lily

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
scary dcompton! think brownies are a good restorative. Can you send back any of the spools? I have books but mostly it is my Linda Lael Miller older ones, Louis L'amour, Richard Scarry collections. there are some other kids books, craft, comics like calvin and hobbes. plus random fiction etc you collect. have a bunch of cozy mysteries I bought but then get so many from library. but this maybe 2 bookcases full. think covid had screwed up my period to reset it back cus was really bad so not much sleep but then early this morning had a well time to let this stuff go moment in my head.

I have two seed bead sorters, a dissect a frog educational thing..all plastic parts so you dont have to use real ones. got it years ago for kids and used it for guides etc. so time to let it go. the books etc need organizing downstairs cus I noticed a french dictionary..well dd is out of school and ds took spanish so don't need it. is mandatory to certain grade. all stuff I got at value village etc so back to it, it can go. so there will be more lol always is. there are areas I am not in the mood to organize yet.

haven't done much with the blanket..starting to wonder cus she hasn't posted for a while. but will finish it off and hope for the best.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Wish we were getting rain once a week. We got ¾" last night, which helps. Haven't heard if the sound and light show that came with it started any new fires.

I finished the second gnome last night after all. I don't think I've ever made so many mistakes on one piece in my life.

I made two partial covers for the bed, in an attempt to protect my quilts from the dogs. They probably won't stay in place anyway.

Got my new undies cut out. Still have to figure out how to mark all the elastic markings on the fabric and on the elastic. The tag was still on the fabric, $6 at Goodwill. I made 10 prs from it a few yrs ago and cut 10 more now. There's enough left for at least 20 more, and I'll save it for that as needed. Pretty good deal.

Dug out some other tee shirt knit to make a sleeveless top. Should be comfy, and I've already used the pattern, so shouldn't have to worry about it fitting. I just want it a little longer, no problem. There's lots of material so might make a tank while I'm at it. Nothing feels like the 1980s heavy cotton knit. So comfy.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I found a youtube channel "In Stitches" by a guy making various repairs to a Singer 760 sewing machine. This is the "newer" machine I got from parents' place but the needle is off-center and I could not figure out why. Zig-zag Ok but cannot straight stitch like normal. Anyway will watch the videos to see if I can resolve it. I tried in Feb 2020 to figure out and even bought a service manual off eBay, but he released his videos after that. He talks about some other types of machines as well if anybody needs help.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Thanks, DLR. Good luck with your machine. I found a site a while back with manuals for everything, it seems like. I got the manual and other info about my 1948 Singer industrial serger there. Still shocked.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Just my curiosity...
I have a wooden chess set and a handmade wooden chess board w/ sentimental value. I discovered on the back of the chess board is a parcheesi board. I see it requires different set of tokens and sets of dice. Has anyone ever played parcheesi? Is it fun? Worth learning?
I also transferred a lot of seashells from plastic bags to a basket container while cleaning up my office. I see ideas for using shells to play checkers which is kind of cute. Looking for other (practical) purposes for the seashells. A couple are large enough to use as small planters which I might try (baby spiderplants).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I just read an interesting thing on where people would prefer to live. This was based in the US.

Some people live in large cities, or within commuting distance of one because of their jobs. What would happen if you said they could telework full time from anywhere?

How many people enjoy living in the big city or suburbs? How many would rather live someplace else? It turns out almost half of people surveyed in a gallop pole would rather live in a town or rural area.

If enough people are given full time telework jobs, there could be major shifts in how population is distributed in the US. I also wonder how many people have a romanticized view of country life and small town life. Will they like it as much as they think they will?

And then their are oddballs like me who want to live in a different big city area then where they are. People say "big city" as though they were all interchangeable. There is quite a bit of difference between them.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,152 · (Edited)
Dir- parcheesi is easy and fun. We used to play it when I was a kid. A good alternative when you don’t have the ambition to deal with chess.

I lived in cities because it’s where school and my jobs were. Ft Worth, New York, Toronto, and much farther down the scale, Shreveport. It wasn’t a good fit. In New York I went to a total of two museums (but one of them twice- lol), one in Toronto and I went to the planetarium now and then, and the Royal horse show was fun, and in Ft Worth, my home town, went to the theatre or museum now and then with friends when I was still in high school and college. In short they were totally wasted on me. I should be embarrassed by that but I’m not. It’s just not my thing, so the advantages of city life had no value for me, leaving all the disadvantages to deal with. When I was so generously offered the chance to move out here and I was retired, I couldn’t say yes fast enough. Anyway, when I lived in New York and Toronto I was still a student and couldn’t have afforded to do much even if I had wanted to. I can definitely see why many would want out, either because the city’s opportunities just don’t appeal to them, or especially if they are struggling to get by and can’t take advantage of things they would like to, but are stuck there in the crowded, pricey city because of their jobs. You enjoy everything a city has to offer and I can’t imagine you anywhere else. I would rather be anywhere else. Lol

The last plan for Sharon’s picture I documented here, probably plan E or F, was abandoned and I went back to, I think, Plan B. I decided to make the flowers two different colors instead of all purple - pulled a magenta series - and then went with solid colors for the tiles to go with them. It was a really slow start, but I’m on my way now. I think I need to put everything on hold until this one is finished. There are other patterns I would rather be doing, but commitments have a way of coming home to roost. 😂 I would love to finish it by the end of the month but there’s a heck of a lot of stitching on it.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hope everyone has a good day with their projects. I'm going to water the garden, and spend the day pitting cherries.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I am doing some relaxing crocheting on a hem of a skirt. I may use up the ball of yarn I am on.

Going through a little more stuff today and tossing things.

I am thinking now of my paper scrap collection. For years, I saved pretty pictures from magazines and various sources...to do ... something with. I took a stab at scrapbooking years ago but never got really into it.

I'm probably not going to do anything with them. I am just not that into paper crafts outside of origami stars.

If I want to look at pretty pictures I have books of art, books of flowers and gardens, books of various pretty things.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I am thinking now of my paper scrap collection. For years, I saved pretty pictures from magazines and various sources...to do ... something with. I took a stab at scrapbooking years ago but never got really into it.
Sounds like a candidate for Etsy. "Vintage paper scrapbooking collection"

I got a pound and a half of cherries pitted. Doesn't sound like much, but they are tiny, the size of marbles.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Make cherry jelly. No pitting.

When we considered retirement states, we always checked various quality of life lists. If a state ranked low for things like education and health care, we lost interest. If a state doesn't care about its people, then its government doesn't care about much else of value, either.

We didn't care much about museums either, but buying tickets to anything for a family of ten priced us out of most places. Museums are interesting, but not for repeated visits unless exhibits change often. We couldn'tafford restaurants, either. Our "restaurants" in Minneapolis were mostly takeout from White Castle or Little Caesars. But there were lots of free or cheap things to do for families. But sometimes people don't realize how much there is to do in small towns, too.

Lots of people grew up in small towns and would move back if they could get a good job.

I cut out 2 tops from the Panama Jack knit, and a pair of underwear because what else would I ever use the scraps for? No sewing though. Gotta get busy sewing. Shadow likes the protective cover on the bed. She prefers to lay in spots that are delineated. Weird, but true. She's always wanted a small blanket to lay on.

Finished these today. Maybe someday I'll wear them to visit a lighthouse.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I've got a bunch of cherry jam from last year. It was good, but we're not big jam/jelly eaters. I need to find a source of quality bread, too. Most of what I've bought in the past 6 months or so has gone bad very quickly or tastes odd. I think covid changes have affected quality. I have to go out tomorrow, I may go by Whole Foods. Cherry jam on their sourdough is fantastic.

Anyway, DH wants to rearrange the basement so he is more comfortable. I thought maybe they'd go back to office hours this summer, but DH says he thinks it is unlikely. He's been sitting in an old kitchen chair working on a coffee table height game table. I said he could use the 2nd hand desk my dollhouse was on and order a real office chair online. So we moved a little stuff to see if it would work. We need to move more stuff. And after dinner he was messing around with stuff and dropped a very large model we built together... and hasn't told me yet. It's smashed to bits.

It'll be nice to get out of the house tomorrow, for sure. Want to hear what my therapist says about the neck strain. I haven't done my exercises the past 2 weeks.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Lots of museums and attractions offer yearly family passes. However, I think I vaguely remember that at least some of the places limited the amount of kids. For example, a family pass might be two adults and two kids. So it would not work for large families. We only had one child, so I didn't give it much thought.

Some cities have museums or zoos that are free.

I like museums and zoos and aquariums. However, not many cities have full size aquariums. So I am not counting an aquarium as a must have for a city. I am not counting the relatively small aquarium many cities have a as part of the zoo.

We are not big on restaurants. In theory we might eat out more if we lived someplace a couple of blocks away from some restaurants.

But I am also thinking that it might be useful in the future to live near a few places with reasonable priced dining. I have heard of people going to nursing homes because they are no longer able to cook and clean for themselves. This seems odd to me if that is the only issues. You could hire a person to clean and eat your meals at delis, dinners and food courts. That would be cheaper than a nursing home and allow you more freedom.

Of course with so many heat and eat options from the grocery store, you could probably get by on those. I am assuming a place with grocery delivery.

We also like game conventions, so it would be nice to have at least one of those in the city we move to.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Sorry about your model. He's probably heartbroken, too.

How can you know an office chair is comfortable if you don't sit in it first? Don't you have Office Max or something nearby? It sounds like he needs a better setup to be more comfortable.

I have to get some sewing done today.

It rained again overnight. Hope it keeps up for a few days. No eclipse for us here, but the rain is better.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
We had a family pass for the Minnesota Zoo, which is a great zoo. I'd like to go back there, but these days it's a five hour drive each way and involves towing a camping in metro traffic we're no longer used to, kenneling our dogs, and a whole bunch of other huge inconveniences and expense. Doesn't seem worth it. I'm starting to have mixed feelings about zoos anyway and don't think I would experience it and enjoy it the same way anymore.

We used to get together with friends to play pool, board games, and cards, nothing formal or elaborate. We keep being promised a community center here. For us, it would work better than going to a large event because community centers have gym facilities including walking tracks, physical activities to do individually or in teams, areas for playing board games or cards, places just to sit and chat or knit/crochet, on and on, and of course it's an ongoing set of social and health opportunity instead of a single event . Finding a town that has a good community center is a priority for us. We're happy GR already has a great one, which we've already toured and really liked. It's very difficult to make friends when we don't have kids, aren't churchy, and don't have jobs anymore, so a good community center is important, especially since we're antisocial homebodies.

1141 - 1160 of 1239 Posts