Frugal Village Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 1239 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I finished knitting a chemo hat. The color was dark navy and I found that pretty boring. I can get 1 more hat from that skein but I cast on the next hat w/ one of the Caron variegated cake yarns. I want to see how that turns out, might not be suitable. I will do an inch and decide.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We just sprung for the senior citizen park pass. Pay one fee and don't have to pay again ever. DH had just turned minimum age to get this. We have only used it once so far, but, it is now on our list to try and get some national park visits in, especially while we have the grands with us. I've started taming a few scraps to get them more under control. and have spent a few minutes here and there doing more in my dungeon of a basement.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
We are homebodies too. I would say more asocial than antisocial.

D&D is the main way we socialize with others, so that is important. I try to look for hints that there is an active community of people who play D&D.

Board game geeks are becoming more common as are board game clubs. We play lots of board games with just the two of us, but in retirement we might seek out a club.

One reason I a favoring Indianapolis is that there is a game store with open gaming downtown. I feel like that would satisfy all our social needs. It is also fairly close to a museum. And there is a convention center nearby so going to events would be easy.

My husband used to say don't decided too early because a city can change in a few years. I used to disagree with that. But due to current circumstances, I think it is more likely to change.

I think in another three or four years I will have a better idea of what long term changes, if any, there are on cities I like.

The future seems so uncertain to me. But then I realize that many hobbies, such as reading, crafting and jigsaw puzzles are pretty independent. It really does not matter where I live. I hold onto this thought in uncertain times.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
We have an active hobby community here, and the city has a good zoo and enough cultural attractions to keep it minimally interesting. There are a lot of things you can do on a day trip, too. But the state fails in major ways for anyone to consider moving here. We have the murder capitol of the US at the moment. We have the biggest covid hotspot in the US right now, too, as a direct result of state policies (or lack thereof). The government has scrapped a voter approved medicare expansion and greatly reduced benefits programs for those in need, including the elderly. The gas tax is going up by 10c, and housing tax is expected to rise over 14% per year for the next few years. And to cap all that off, we're second from the last in educational spending. I'm sure that's the reason we have one backwards-thinking senator and another backward-thinking white supremacist running for office. Welcome to the midwest, the other thing you get in small quiet country towns is racism, religious intolerance, and pig-headed stupidity.

Anyway, I have more cherries to pit before I leave for the therapist.

Dlr, navy might be boring, but I'm sure it will comfort whoever receives it.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
How can you know an office chair is comfortable if you don't sit in it first? Don't you have Office Max or something nearby? It sounds like he needs a better setup to be more comfortable.
He'll go by reviews. Most of the office supply places sell cheap chairs which aren't sturdy in the long run and he finds them uncomfortable. For something he will sit in for hour after hour he needs something ergonomic with lumbar support. I expect it will cost over $500, but it will be worth it if it prevents back pain and fatigue.

Ah, he fixed the automatic timer for the sprinkler. One less stop on my errand run today.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,166 ·
Ok, I’m probably on Plan G or H for the Sharon project, but I am finally quite happy with it. The purples were just too dull. I’ve gone with a bright rainbow variegated. It’s definitely not dull. The dye lot varies a good bit on this one, so I hope I have enough of one color run. I think I will. With it this bright though, I’ll go back to the daffodils. It will need strong color in the flower so it won’t get lost. It’s much more fun to stitch though. I’m using the tile patterns from the lilies, but will just change out the flowers. These patterns are a series, all the same layout and size.

In my isopod world I’ve seen two of the tiny babies above ground very very briefly. Over the next month or six weeks, more should start emerging from the substrate. I see all of them much less in the large enclosures. As the population become denser that will change. They will be bolder with more of them. They like their worlds darker than my living room gives them. I’ve started throwing a piece of fabric over them in the evening. They were having very short nights indeed between my very late lights out and the sun rising and brightening the room. That should also give them a happier environment. I’m learning as I go.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Knotme, you'll love the parks pass. It gives you deep discounts for camping, too. We paid $8/night with power a couple yrs ago at COE campgrounds, a steal. Not everything is covered at all or probably any parks or monuments, but the granny pass is still very worth it. If you plan to visit lots of parks and/or national monuments, I highly recommend getting a parks passbook. We started with the little one but ended up buying the big one (spendy). All parks have a date stamp with park name, so you can stamp your passport every time you visit, a nice way to keep a memory. Some parks have other related stamps.

We also got a token album. Some parks and attractions now sell little tokens (used to be $1) with park names and features on them. Cheap for kids and could probably be drilled and turned into a souvenir necklace.

Dang, looking at our stuff, now I want to go somewhere. I hope you guys all have a great time on your travels.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Ch he probably feels bad or thinks it will be a big fight if he is anything like my dh. That is so cool spirit! I started the pressed pennies if I find them on my travels.

What about a smaller town or neighbourhood close to a bigger town? Not that we are moving but since you can cross the street and be in a different city here lol Have small town feel but can go big city close by. So small events and big events. though everything is getting built up and going further out. I know I won't be driving forever. I have a hard time now with distance driving. so good transit is a must. lots of free things for kids cus zoos etc so $$$. miss that lol no cheap stuff for teens. except science world used to have 4 free themed nights for them. will be glad when life gets back to normal.

Here lots of people do board game social nights , there are stores for it , D&D too.. my dd (online now) but has gone to the same group for years friends father though don't think that will last much longer since they are all graduating. We should do more board games etc but ds was such a pain sore loser when little until teens that we just stopped. so you don't think of it. he and friends had a d & d group going before..just the whole create my life thing and he quit the other one dd went too.

I can see people moving into assisted living etc. cus it is company, events but you can have private too. Plus most are not online w computers etc. Lots of seniors here living alone go to the mall to have coffee and meet up w people or the stores everyday just to get out. plus the whole upkeep of the house. you can hire someone but there is a lot of little things that need doing that it is hard to find people for..everytime we went do dh aunt or his moms etc. can you fix this sticky drawer or change a lightbulb , take this out. we take the trash cans in and out for our neighbour. her sons do come by a few times a week but they have lives and just coming for that.. well we have thoughts cus now even when they come they don't bring them in. or shovel her walk cus hey we will do it. but then she is stuck between cus her kids but.. and everyone is on a pension.

here it is assisted living then carehome but then you are at the end. or other senior homes studio apts. govt ones or paid for. my mom talks about moving into a private one here $4k a month like a hotel but close to the mall in flat area here. I have had female seniors tell me that too saying I looked after everyone all my life now someone can do for me. just the mental not my problem anymore the yard, the roof etc. I am lucky though cus of the amount of seniors they already have lots of things going seniors community centre, even seniors services were a bus will pick up for lunch etc. my mil used that a lot.

rain and sun here. .went out to feed crows and it was all wet though sun was out so random rain clouds. still have to change insurance for cars..friend going to take volvo so that is done. dh can get pizza for dinner. just got email that fabricland is having their big once a year sale for members so will have to renew..but most stuff 55% off. only 4 days..will have to make a trip.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
Knotme, forgot to say you should ask for a discount at gift shops and other places in parks. Not all offer a discount for the pass card, but some do. Or did. Hard to know what's changed in 2 yrs, with the financial beating the tourism industry has taken the past couple yrs.

Every community changes, faster than you realize even when you live there. Things that seem fairly permanent aren't. We've always known that, but covid has changed the world a lot just by itself. We're in a global upheaval right now as a society, not all because of covid. It's hard to say what's going to happen in the next few yrs but I'm anticipating a lot of changes. If manufacturing comes back, it's going to change the midwest a lot. If green technology continues to grow, that will bring huge changes. So much going on right now. The next 10-20 yrs are going to be quite interesting.

Hope your husband finds his dream chair, CH. I use good office chairs by most of my sewing machines and in my office, so I understand how important a good chair is.

DLR, I can imagine the dark blue was boring and probably hard to see. Hope the variegated goes better. Maybe the blue would be trim on other hats. I heard somewhere recently there's always a need for men's and boy's colors though. Since mine will unabashedly where a pink shirt with teddy bears on it, I'm not sure what colors are "men's".

Sounds like it will be fun watching your bug colonies develop over time, D. Glad you got Sharon's project figured out.

It appears the clock I want for the sewing room keeps time, so I need to figure out what to do about the tiger picture in it. It's gonna be a whole project. sigh It's not that I mind tigers, but the picture is very faded. The hands are also hard to see against the background. I should just paint the hands and hang it up. I'm just not enthused about doing anything with it now. It needs some kind of cross stitch put in it, but I'm all burned out on that for now. Decisions...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
One of the newest trends in games is called cooperative games. They are board games where everyone is on the same side and works together to accomplish some task. So either everyone wins or everyone loses. It could be good for sore losers.

My younger brother used to throw huge tantrums when he lost board games so we stopped playing. But now he is part of a board gaming group. We live in different cities.

My husband and I don't drive. The reasons are a bit complicated, but I will simplify and say medical reasons. So that influences where we want to live a lot. Having places that are close by are a priority. Walking distance is best. A short trip with Uber or public transportation is next best.

I had high hopes for self driving cars. But currently there are laws that say a licensed driver has to be behind the wheel. So what is even the point? This is something that could potentially be nice for people who don't drive. But it won't be unless the laws are changed.

I think with various assisted living options, personality is an important factor. I am pretty introverted so I would not do it primarily to have company. I place a higher value on privacy and independence.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yes all what you need kathy and good transit is a plus. which here I have plus it is flat ..one thing I said was moving here needed to live in the flat area. my friend sold her house on a hill and is renting in a flat area near all the stores parks etc and is loving it. hip replacements etc so couldn't at her old place. we say hill but more mountains lol a few blocks here make a difference. my mom can't walk uphill to the bus stop half a block away. much less our place now. and she is like 6 blocks away. she liked the condos where my mil used to live but nothing close by and that is only a few minutes drive. why all the seniors love the condo towers around the mall close by..walkable. or rent.

assisted living is more for those who need help of some type. like mil w dementia just like a toddler etc she had health problems before that but just needed watching like a little kid. but it was an apt so you could cook etc and you could join in or not..you could have a pet etc. just had nurse on site , meals, activities etc. all your choice. go out etc. so some did and some didn't. actually was different cus you could stay there until you needed hospital care. cus there was people who were quite far gone.

yes ds was bad and worse with family so no one believed me cus he wouldn't with others. not that he was a bad kid but come on no one is perfect but he was perfect in school etc so I was wrong lol think teachers were happy not to have a problem kid. even at year he would run off w a ball if I tried to play with him and his sister.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Yes that was me saying the charity requested chemo/hats for men & boys so that is why I bought navy and also a tan/beige skein. The next drop-off date has not been set yet, probably months away. That is for the satellite location closest to me. The main location is further south in Richmond which would be twice as far to drive. I have larger quantities of some pretty colors for making baby or lap blankets. When I use my yarn up the charity could provide yarn by request for a pick-up/drop-off date. Will see when I get to that point. I can afford it but sounds like they are well stocked with donated yarn. They supply an amazing variety of needed items to chemo/dialysis places, baby needs, school children, elderly & dementia needs.
My husband only wears black/gray/navy. He does his own laundry so that is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,175 ·
SD - if they did they would die quickly in the house. Being crustaceans, not actually bugs, they breath with gills and require a damp area to retreat to when necessary. It’s apparently why they like to cluster together - it helps conserve humidity. Also why they like to hide out under flower pots.

The otter is cute. I’ve been watching a YouTube channel of two otters

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
It was a long busy day. I thought I might have time to go by JA, just to look, but did not get out of the house in time. Lots of driving, hop out of the car to grab something, get back in the car and drive some more. Places full of people now, mostly not masked. I ate lunch in my car at the park. It was very hot and muggy.

Dlr, I know a lot of men like dark colors, but some like mine like touches of bright color. DH will wear green, light blue, teal, and purple shirts and hats.

DC, glad to hear your crustaceans are doing well. Hope you see more babies soon.

I'm looking forward to a quiet day at home tomorrow, though it will probably be hot again. Almost certainly into the 90s and only a chance of rain. May be a day for sewing. May be a day to sit in the basement with that puzzle pile of model pieces. It's not the first time it's been damaged. I'll see what I can do.

Realized today that the big quilt show in town is next week. It's held every other year, and luckily last year was not one of them. Wow, it came up on the calendar fast. I'll probably go Thursday or Friday, it'll be less crowded. I don't see anything about masks on the web site. I may wear one if there's a big crowd.

It's been 6 months and my therapy sessions are over. For now. Have to get approval to continue. The therapist has been sending reports to the surgeon who sent me there, but that office hasn't responded. I've been saying he needs to send them to my physician all along. Even if I don't continue, there's been great improvement and I know what to do to keep my shoulder pain at bay for a while longer. Going to avoid surgery as long as possible.

·
Super Moderator
19,843 Posts
I love otters. They're just so darn cute. Thanks!

The account I posted is one of Twitter's best. Almost all animals, and always something, cute, funny, uplifting, or positive. We have otters in our lake but don't see them often because it's a big lake and they don't live very close to us.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I miss playing D&D. The local gaming store closed, I'm not sure when. Likely a few years back. Then again, it moved sites and ended up being the only store in an empty strip mall. I stopped going there long before then when they focused on having in-store computer games, rather than D&D sessions.

Did some spinning yesterday. Also did a few stitches on the persimmon lapgan. The yarn seemed to have lost its twist so it ended up being splitty. That slowed things down quite a bit for me. At least it's cool enough to open up the windows and enjoy the weather.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,179 ·
It’s been a time out afternoon here. I got up too early, drove into town to pick up groceries, ate an early lunch and took a nap. Then nothing much of anything.

I was so sure I was happy with the last plan for the tile pattern, but I’ve concluded I really don’t like using floss anymore for blackwork after doing it with the tatting thread and Sulky. That gives such a nice clean line. So I’m going to do the tile with Sulky. It’s a lot of stitching and I’ll like the results better. I’ll use dark blue. I really do have to settle on one thing and just get it done.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Well, I don't know where the day went. Spent a short time in the garden watering and planted one more cucumber. Cut and dried a tray of oregano to fill up my spice canister. Pitted one more pound of cherries for the freezer while DH's egg pucks were baking. Had leftovers for lunch and things are kind of hazy from there....

Storms just rolled through, knocked down a few trees and power is out up north. Got a good amount of rain on the garden. Temp dropped 23 degrees, but it won't last.

Should be dry and hot tomorrow for the dollhouse show. I missed going last year, of course. Meeting a friend with like minded interests for the show and lunch.

Hope everyone is well.

1161 - 1180 of 1239 Posts