Frugal Village Forums banner
1781 - 1800 of 1841 Posts

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
DC, you must have mischievous fairies in your house. I hear that setting out a bowl of milk or cream at night will appease them. :)

I've been reading an e-book this week. I must have missed one in the series and will have to figure out which one.

Did not take my crochet with me on vacation. Meant to, got the box out....and could not find a hook anywhere. Did not have time to go shopping or deal with it so it got left at home. Maybe some other time.

This month I'm considering resuming the mini scene in a tin, sewing up the casserole carrier pattern I redrafted, and maybe making some jewelry. I like this look, and I have most of the beads it uses:

Body jewelry Natural material Creative arts Necklace Art

Hope everyone is having a good week.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
that is pretty ch! Kathy could be anxiety about work and your ceiling etc Spirit here those shows are discovery channel. Every time something happens out that way on the news I think is that going on the show. not much happening.. allergies.. was up late not sleeping and then up early. so popped allergy pill and skipping work today moved store to tomorrow. forgot veggie pickup last night so went this morning and didn't notice cat peed on my shoes. when I came home and saw the puddle ( glad didn't go to work) hit the library too there and harry potter crochet book had come in..not that I will do anything out of it but fun to look at. did plan to do the sorting hat years ago and bought some vintage brown yarn from thrift store. cat is upset cus that cat that we thought was stray took to shelter...was someones outside cat kept coming around but now has collar and tag and maybe they are keeping it home now since hasn't been around. in its teen years so thinks its way is the right way lol.

weather is going between rain and sun so maybe part of the allergy problem. first day of school too and no sign of dd either lol at least she is sorting out all her fleece. need to switch out to fall decor too. camping stuff didn't make the garage yet. boys can load up thrift store boxes cus will be near there. playing with my new barbie..dh is how many are there they are right in front of him lol the Iris one sad when older barbie clothes are better made then stuff in the stores lol did finish off the lap blanket for neighbours dil.

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
I got sucked into working on the puzzle. We don't think it will be a keeper. It's one of those that has too many pieces that look like they fit but don't, which is just too annoying. We don't want to work that hard.

Gov Walz announced we've had 1,900 wildfires in Minnesota so far this yr. September 1 is usually the beginning of fire season here. sigh Luckily the big one, the Greenwood, is about half contained and cooler, wetter weather has helped stop the spread.

The rug is coming along nicely. I'm hoping to finish the machine stitching tomorrow but we'll see. Then it would be just hemming around it by hand. The hand basting is so much easier and speeds up the machine sewing a lot. I wanted to get 6 or so strips basted today but only got 2, so I might not get as much done tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I got the box of crochet stuff put away, and then worked on the nightgown. Put in the bodice lining and did the hem. Hand stitching to finish the inside, and some binding for the arm holes.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Didn't get any work done on Dad's afgan last night. I ended up doing some worldbuilding on the story I'm working on.

But had a weird night last night. Went to bed later than usual, woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. I don't know if it was due to another storm coming through the area last night and I was half expecting Severe Weather alerts going off all night. There was a possibility of strong thunderstorms but those never happened. Then again, the ground's still wet from last week's rain so I'm sure some places likely have some minor flooding with the water having no place to go.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,788 ·
Ren - it must have just been one of those nights. I also slept very badly which is unusual for me, and not much. I’m going to be pretty useless today.

I’m almost finished with the border and layout for the Halloween sal. I have one long fence section to go - there’s a lot of stitching on those - and two hexagon outlines. I think I’m going to stay with this until I’m caught up. The fourth fill pattern should be out tomorrow. There will also be another flower pattern. I’ll probably do blackwork through the weekend and get up to date on both, then get back to the shell cross stitch next week.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Today was a day for mending. The waistband seam on one of my newer pair of jeans came loose in the wash. That's a new one for me. Jeans seem to be more poorly made than I recall from my youth. Since then I've been puttering around and cleaning. The bathroom got a once over with bleach.

Pretty Kitty is having a bad day. Puked up something very early this morning, and again this afternoon. She's looking a little tired.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Kitty perked up this morning, though she's still not herself. She didn't eat all day yesterday, so she's tired.

I like the cheerful pumpkin Dlr. Colors haven't started to change here, so I'm not thinking about decorating, and pretty sure I have enough stuff in the closet anyway.

Going out today. It was so nice last week not being cooped up in the house. Still on the lookout for something to use as handles on my casserole carrier, though I will likely end up making my own straps. Don't need anything at JA, but would like something else to look at other than my own four walls.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,793 ·
I got all the borders and layout finished and I’m about half finished with the black cat. The new release is a spider. After comments from people who hate spiders, the designer popped out a cauldron for an alternative. I’ve considered using it to replace the wolf, but I may do the wolf in honor of SD. LOL. Or just skip the wolf for now and see what the rest of the designs are.

I haven’t used the Amazon chat in I don’t know how long, but a package that came yesterday was missing an item. It is so easy now - basically multiple choice buttons with options to explain more. I was impressed. I wrote my dissertation on science fiction and sometimes I feel a little like I’m living it.

I’m feeling very lazy today, or I guess I should say even lazier than usual. All I want to is stitch so that’s probably what I’ll do.

CH - happy shopping!

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Thanks DC, JA was very good to me today. I got an assortment of remnants:

Product Wood Textile Rectangle Paint brush

Lots of neutrals. The 4 little pieces of white on the left are all the same print. The blues were a find, close to a yard each. I think I have more of the blue mums around someplace. Got a yard of pink gauze rosettes to put on the nightgown bodice. I didn't like any of the lace. JA used to have better stuff.

They still don't have much in plastic storage. Still having supply issues. One of the back walls in the jewelry area was empty. There were a couple of thin aisles of summer clearance and kids stuff that nobody wants, even at 80% off.

I was going to buy a crochet hook and then realized I had no idea what I was doing, so I asked a lady who was shopping and she was ever so helpful. LOL, I know I sound like a complete noob, but I had no idea that the yarn labels told you what size hook to use. The lady pointed out some hooks and said to come back later with a 50% off coupon. And I need to look at my book and find out how much yarn I'll need before I buy anything.

I was also looking for tube beads, and JA didn't have any. Lots of rounds and fancy beads, though. I'll get some off etsy.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I feel like my hobby this week was driving in circles, muttering obscenities, and trying not to pull my hair out-- also, I'm pretty sure more of it turned white, but it did that on its own, so I can't count that as me really consciously doing that...

BUT I used up a sugar cookie dough mix I've had FOREVER to make some white chocolate macadamia cookies for the kids after school... and I froze extra balls of dough for "later..." but later is tomorrow morning, apparently, because they all got nom-ed and DD14 wants some in her basket for the fair tomorrow. So overall, a net reduction in stash-iness

I just finished the crown for her work-friend (big ol' glue burn on my finger to prove it), so she can get that out of my house in the morning. Alas, while I did use up some leftover silks from a previous project, this project created new "leftovers." I have a drawer for things like that, so gathering them up and putting them away will happen this weekend... but technically that is an increase in stash. Boo.

But I also used up the last little bit of two spool ribbons (you know the ones... back in the day they used to go 4/$1 all the time and now you're lucky to find them 1/$1... I am slowly working my way through an old clutch of those... my sister and I are pretty sure that the one spool of lavender I have is left over from her wedding in 28 years ago!!!

Next project... DD14 wants pants for the fair (our story is that she was a young lady of privilege who cut her hair and ran away from home to escape an unwanted betrothal and now is posing as a drink wench/ drink lad to earn her way in the world.) So I will be working on that this weekend. It should remove some old fabric from the stash, but I had to buy a new pattern, so it's a trade-off...

Meanwhile, I used up all the dark brown yarn left over from the thneeed, but there was not enough tan to do the design I want, so I had to buy a new skein of that (at least I used a coupon!!!) So another addition to the stash, but that color is a nice teddy-bear brown, and I can always use it to make little bear-hats for kids if I want to use it up later. Anyway, I am down one whole skein (the dark brown) and most of the ball of cream. So that's a LITTLE reduction (she says, pretending she won't buy more the minute the opportunity arises...) The plan is to keep working on the gloves whenever I am sitting around (like when I take DD17 to the doctor tomorrow...) It is nice to have something to keep my hands busy and my mind quiet.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,796 ·
Z - a stash by its very nature is an in and out thing if it’s a stash of something you are actively working with. It sounds like you are doing well with it.

CH - like blue and green plaid. That was a good haul.

I finished the crystal ball. I changed what the designer had (“I see spooky fun” and the date) to “spooky witchy Halloween.” I considered just leaving it blank -it’s the base the ball is on - but it looked too empty. I’ve also decided to use the cauldron since I added “witchy” and don’t know what the rest of the patterns will be. With that and the spider I’ll be caught up. I should be able to easily do them this weekend.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
great remnants ch! your projects sound great! I have a bunch of those ribbons too..from learning to ribbon embroider decades ago..just remember a project for them. making permanent garlands for parties. I will cut and dd can hot glue cus me and glue guns..burnt fingers and mess. would use them up and free a basket. has been bad allergy week so not much happened brain wise lol.

overcast here suppose to rain so nice and cool. don't feel like doing much ..going for second covid shot so hopefully no effects like last time..manager has been warned. since boys are home..will get them to do needed stuff like put the boxes for thrift store in the car so we can do that today. bookcase needs to go downstairs too. still need to go though and declutter downstairs more. think will play with my knitting machines since i haven't tried it yet. lots of new netflix etc to watch so and do both ! think will get dh to cut up the onions so he can have french onion soup. haven't made it for ages. got a bunch of onions from csa. will think of what to do for dinner cus stuff to use up. maybe pegories and bacon..

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,799 ·
French onion soup sounds delicious. Can I come over?

We have a good chance of rain all next week, probably thanks to that system that popped up in the Gulf. I selfishly hope it’s not heavy, at least Monday, because I have to go to town to for a doctor appointment. That office is usually pretty prompt so I’m going to count on that and schedule a grocery pickup for afterwards. I also had the office call in a prescription on Thursday so I can pick that up to. That should take care of town for a while unless there’s an irresistible grocery ad.

I’m about half finished with the cauldron and will be able to start the spider tonight. I can’t believe I will actually be caught up with a sal. When I ordered the last rectangular hoop I also got a small cut of a fabric that’s been sitting my wish list forever. It’s a sparkly light blue. It came today and is beautiful. The blue is light but not pale, and the glitter has a light green flash. It needs something Christmasy. I’m sure there will be blackwork sals coming up, and I have other patterns and kits, and a variegated thread that would probably be perfect for it. Why am I always looking ahead to the next project?

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I love a good onion soup in cooler weather. It was nice here today but did hit 90F, slightly cooler than predicted.

Had a long zoom chat with friends and got my hand sewing done in no time. I don't like the way the arm holes are finished, half with binding and half top stitched. It's very ugly where the two methods meet. Will have to think of a solution.

DC I hope your trip into town is not too adventurous.

Zhoen, you sound busy. I remember those ribbon spools. I have tubs of them in the hall closet. Used them a lot back when I used to do costuming. Good for drawstrings, lacing, and trimming the hems of skirts.

That damn closet curtain is down again. I have some super sticky double sided foam tape around somewhere.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen
1781 - 1800 of 1841 Posts