Frugal Village Forums banner
1801 - 1820 of 1841 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Narrowing the sleeves on a long woven wool cardigan/duster jacket. It had wide sleeves and big cuffs that I don't like. Took the cuffs off and reduced the sleeves, need to hand-sew hems. I found a single large button and will sew a tab (from the cuffs fabric) to make a closure. Fortunately already has big pockets! This was one of the makeover projects I had in mind.
Was also looking at knitted hood patterns but realized I should just try sewing a seam in an existing suitable scarf to see if I like how it wears. Some have buttons to hold closed around the neck so trying to figure out how to adapt that also.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,802 ·
I think The Frog was out for revenge last night for all those toad bits Shakespeare put in that witch’s cauldron. I was using the wolf fill - since it and the spider had the same one - and really messed it up. More than once. Then after, finally, that was done I realized I had somehow added a row of height to the cauldron. I still don’t know where the mistake is on that. There are floating bubbles and I had to rearrange them to get them to fit, but eventually it was done. I barely got a start on the spider, but I think I can still finish it today. If the frog goes away to mess with someone else.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
The gown is done. I put the gauze roses on by hand this morning. Not sure what to work on next, feeling like a lazy afternoon nap. I have some Hattie's Choice pieces cut, I may sew those .

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Got a little bit more done on Dad's afgan. It's starting to look like I may need all the skeins I picked up for it. That's ok, just means I don't have leftovers to put back in the stash.

Picked up some more yarn at the sheep and fiber festival today. Then again, I intend to make a bunch of light weight wool afgans for myself that I can switch out depending on my mood. I picked up more herbal 'repellant' to keep the moths away from the wool stuff I have already. I ordered some last year and it seems to work well. Also picked up a couple of yarn bowls. One is actually a basket with holes in the cover so I can take it anywhere, really. Although I will likely need a bag if I'm doing anything too large - larger than a scarf, really.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
well the french onion soup never got done lol takes time which we ended up not having. drive in covid appt took long time moderna 5 cars and pfizer line like 25 cars got though in the same time was an hour and then traffic. we went over to lowes cus a value village was beside it so dropped off boxes of stuff. got shelf brackets at lowes using the wood we have already $100 later. was good cus new halloween stuff lol but not paying $200 for a inflatable. got sunny so dh went out w friend today , then drove dd to friends and taking ds driving. so no soup today. not sure if sour cream one day expired (sensitive to dairy) from last night or covid shot but feeling effects. did wash the blanket finally just need to hang and took pic for ravelry. nothing exciting granny square mint fudge caron cake.
Furniture Chair Product Rectangle Textile

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Also picked up a couple of yarn bowls.
Oooh!!! I have been coveting one of those!!! I have seen them on Etsy and thought "maybe some day..." But I saw wooden ones the other day at some place like JoAnn's, and now I am struggling to resist... On the one hand, made-in-China so much cheaper that American artisinal... on the other hand, so much of my crochet and knitting is when I am out somewhere that I am having trouble justifying another thingie around the house. I am considering putting it on my Christmas wish list... except it chaps my frugal heart to think of MIL ordering one off Amazon for twice what she could pay at JA with a coupon... I'm even stingy with OTHER people's money!!! :ROFLMAO:

nothing exciting granny square mint fudge caron cake.
Oh yay, good timing with that picture!!! I have been wanting to ask people who use the cake-style yarns... When you get to the end of a row and it's time to change color, do you just cut off the extra of color 1, tie it to color 2, then weave the ends in later? You have nice neat stripes, so that is my guess. And then how do you know whether you'll have enough to go around again, or do you try and if it doesn't work out, you pull those stitches back out? And do you save the off-cuts to use later?

A while back I had a big ball of assorted left-overs I just kept tying on and winding... made it into a really ugly project bag I never actually use... the problem was the design, not the yarns... they were pretty cool, I just didn't like the end shape of the bag.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,807 ·
My day hasn’t gone quite according to plan since I couldn’t seem to stay awake this afternoon and then spent time putting the grocery order together. And now I have just gone through and cancelled most of it. I need a new brain. When I’m at the doctor the grocery store is on the way home but the reason I never do this is because on those trips my tiny car is full of walker. I can crowbar it into the passenger seat but it’s hard to get it in and out. There were a few things I really needed though and I think I’ve cut it down enough to work. I’ll just be making another trip sooner than I planned. On the up side the bridge that was being rebuilt is finally finished, so after five + aggravating months I can go back to my greatly preferred route.

I’m almost finished with the spider. It’s smaller than the other ones have been. I’m really pleased with this. It’s turning out better than I thought it would. I’m glad I impulsively decided to do it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
lol no Zhoen I don't bother! I am not big on leaving long ends either. I sometimes will cut the yarn if it looks really off in design or bad patch of dye. I love the cake yarns and only got back into crocheting cus they came out makes you look like you did a lot but you didn't....I have a lot of them lol caron and mandala. but they are pretty good about keep the dyes in even amounts of yarn. I have the extras but use them up in scrunchies etc. but the caron cakes yardage is good size so 2 skeins usually makes a lap blanket, 1 a scarf. usually get 3 hats out of one cake.
Textile Creative arts Headgear Woolen Wool

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Zhoen, I'm rarely in either Michaels or Joanns these days so I have no idea how much their yarn bowls cost. Then again, I did pick up one of those yarn 'jars' where it has a screw-on lid with a hole in it for the thread. I have no idea where it is any more. (It was at my parents' house when they lived in the area and it probably got tossed during the move.) I'm more inclined to use the yarn bowl/basket I picked up this weekend since I did spend the money on them.

I find I use a bag (often the bag I get from the festival vendors) when I have a project I'm going to take outside. Or just to keep the yarn I plan on using for the project together. I have a WIP in a bag in my car for times when I'm waiting for something.

:lol: I also have a ball of leftover bits and pieces. Don't know when or how I'm going to use them but at least they're semi-organized.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Then again, I did pick up one of those yarn 'jars' where it has a screw-on lid with a hole in it for the thread.
I have seen photos of teapots being used, etc.
I like both of these ideas! Thanks!!! I have zillions of jars around, and they sell the "drink tops" at Michaels that would work for threading the yarn through. And my evil kitty of doom LOVES to attack my yarn balls and she'd be even HAPPIER if it was bouncing around inside a topless teapot!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
dlr - great idea. Does the country club bowl have handles that you can use to thread the yarn through? Something to keep the skein from rolling out while pulling the yarn? For some reason, I have an image of the bowl on its side to keep the skein inside the bowl, although that's probably not the case and the engraved logo is facing the wall.

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
I make my own yarn cakes using a yarn winder. They don't usually have a mix of colors, though. I like the winder when I'm ripping up stuff to make over. I can frog and wind it at the same time.

I saw this speedy, frugal yarn bowl on Pinterest. Any pretty bowl a clip could be added to would work. I like the idea of some harmless torturing of cats.
Green Textile Art Tableware Rectangle

I have way too many project containers. Here are a few ideas.
Luggage and bags Bag Household supply Basket Storage basket

From left:
-Repurposed diaper bag, currently packed as a grab and go traveler for knitting slippers. The white stuff in the pocket is cross stitch kits for camping, if we ever get to go again. I added a snap clip to the little black zipper bag. It clips to the big bag and lives in the front pocket. It holds small craft tools, scissors, stitch markers, yarn sewin needles, etc.
-Two food containers I made into yarn dispensers. The taller one has a flip top. I got 2 of those for .50 each, drilled holes in the tops, added those little rubber thingies from Ace Hardware to the holes so the yarn won't catch. The smaller red one is a former peanut butter jar.
-The yellow, green, and purple bag is one I made using 2 quilt blocks. I used hot air balloon nylon for the outside and ripstop for the lining, so it wouldn't pick up dog hair, dead leaves, and other stuff when being used outside. It currently has a thread crochet project in it.
-The blue bag is a personal cooler repurposed as a tatting project bag. It has all the usual tools, and it's big enough to hold the mayo jar in the pic. The jar has a hole in the lid to use with tatting thread so that won't get dirty or tangled.
-The plastic box is one of those craft boxes you can buy. I got mine cheap at GW because it was missing the inside dividers and the handle. I replaced the dividers with 7 two-liter pop bottles and drilled a hole in the middle of the lid, since it inexplicably didn't have one, though it has holes for the other 6 compartments. Also replaced the handle using a piece of webbing. It has the tool for cutting latch hook yarn and some yarn, which I had forgotten about. It should be a good container for the big latch hook rug I plan to make this winter.

I love a good gadget, containers, and bags. I did a big purge of all that stuff a few yrs ago, but still probably have too many.

Still working on another puzzle, full of songbirds. I don't think we will want to do this one more than once, and we have other bird puzzles we like better.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a basket (cat-prone to the extreme) and a ziplock bag I carry with me when it's yarn season. Gonna go cry in my little loser corner now! ;p

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
SD - love all those containers. I have a lot of bags from the festival vendors that I keep for projects as well. The yarn container that probably got tossed in the parental house move was similar to the food container turned yarn dispenser.

I need to wind the skeins I just bought into balls for easier use. I'm glad I picked up the winder back in 2018 or 2019, before the pandemic. They'll fit better in the yarn bowl or basket that way. I mostly picked up the bowl because it was pretty (and useful) and the basket because I like the feel of the finish. That and the 'basket' is a Shaker yarn box (although it's oval, rather than square). That style takes me back to a town I lived in as a kid. So, it's pretty, useful, and nostalgic. That and I wanted to support the vendors.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
lol spirit you are like me. I have baskets beside me plus bags from vendors full. and cupboards, under bed containers lol dh one day will make a new bed so the storage is better and I can hide a lot of it there. but all my craft stuff is sorted in tubs etc. sigh reminds me of the scrap book kraze .. have a tub full to go though and donate.

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
Zhoen, I have a big Ziploc inside the knitting bag. It's easier to keep stuff from getting tangled. I'm picky about project bags and the tops have to close, have to fit in the foot well in the vehicles (hardly any in the Astro), etc. Stuff gets tossed around when we travel. There are so many options for repurposing something, you are sure to find lots of possibilities for cheap. I like the teapot idea.

I buy special things sometimes, too, Ren. Sometimes it's worth it to spend the money on the perfect thing that just makes you happy.

Martha, I purged yarn several yrs ago but then found a big tote full and maybe some excess that's now under a bed. We bought a very nice entertainment center for $10 at GW (which I still think was mismarked since similar stuff was selling for $89.99, not $9.99) and I made cardboard drawers for it. I store all my knitting, crochet, and tatting stuff in that, except the extras I found after I moved into it. I will do another purge after I get the big latch hook rug done. My luck, if I get rid of anything now, it would guarentee I'd need it for the rug.

I bought a rolling scrapbook organizer for $3 and put all my scrapbooking stuff in it. I've never used any of it, but hope to get to organizing our pictures some yr.

I might have too many hobbies.

Nah.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Made good progress on my Cora quilt, bright spring colors. I did the layout at the quilt bee last month. Cats took turns throwing up during the day. I don't know what they got into, but neither one is happy.

Rectangle Azure Purple Textile Creative arts

No quilt bee this month, it is time for the fall potluck lunch, but it's going to be brown-bag this time. People bring projects to sew during the day, so it's essentially just like the bee, except more personal projects. I haven't given much thought yet to what to take with me. It's not like I'm short of projects.

Gym day tomorrow, then going to get myself a free lunch bowl. Have several promo coupons to use up this month.

DC, hope you don't get too much rain or flooding up your way.

Everyone else have fun with your yarn projects.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,819 ·
M- I like the afghan.

The weather was on my side today. It rained a little this morning, stopped before I left for town, and should start again late tonight. The hurricane center shows us on the northern edge of Nicholas, so we will probably get some rain, but not a lot unless the track shifts. Whoever bagged my groceries gets a Really?? Award. One bag had potato chips with four cans of tomatoes. Fortunately I saw it and rescued the chips before I started the drive home. Sigh.

I’ve frittered away all the time since I got home, but I need to start something. I’m debating working on the flower sal or the seashells. I think I just don’t want to have to figure out where I was on the shells, but I have to do it eventually, so it might as well be now. I think this weeks Sal flower is one I’m not using, so that project could chill a couple of weeks.

I keep my WIPs in ziplocks in drawers. Current projects just have to endure a hardscrabble existence on the table by the recliner.

Added later since this didn’t actually post - I’ve ended up doing nothing. I got a flu shot today and I’m tired and my arm started aching before I could start stitching, so tonight is an stitching holiday. I did get the seashells back on the stand so I’ll start that again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
thanks dh. I think people who don't grocery shop and run homes don't know how to pack groceries.. had an awesome one today..stopped at asian grocery store for the bakery and sushi/chinese food all made on site. plus some frozen stuff onion pancakes. spring rolls etc. yogurt. and the new tv remote finally came..have to get used to using a light touch again instead of punching down on the buttons.

lol yes ch I have a lot of craft stuff.. repurposed the old tv cabinet for kids crafts. dresser full of beading stuff, drawers of vintage crochet mags,drawers.. tubs of scrap book..armoire, bags etc of yarn.. soap/candle stuff, for 4 or 5 vintage machines and the kids and dh have their stashes. patterns lol our own michaels. dd made a hat out of gingham vinyl on the sewing machine she got from mil. lined kinda vintage 60s button on top. I had a brain fart and since moms group is gone now..maybe can see what kids crafts are there to donate to battered womens shelter after i look at them.

1801 - 1820 of 1841 Posts