Frugal Village Forums banner
1821 - 1840 of 1841 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Zhoen, ziploc bags are useful and creative. :)

I've used the plastic grocery bags for harvests from the garden and various other things when I need something quick and will likely give that thing away. If I get too many, I drop them off at farmers' market to be used to create park benches.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Finished my cardigan/duster makeover. This was the pattern (View A) but I don't like the wide sleeves & cuffs so that is what I removed/narrowed. I put a large single button & tab in the front to hold closed (no overlap). A heather/tweedy tan/beige loose wool weave. If I wear it enough, I may make another to use up wool yardage. Delivering the charity goods (hats, 36" quilts, walker totes) today. Hubby & dogs going along for the drive, we will get lunch out somewhere.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,823 ·
I have no idea what I’ll end up doing today. I got up ready, finally, to put away the two collections of clutter that I’ve been staring down for weeks and weeks and weeks, only to find that Nicholas is really short in the rain department here so far, and long on making every joint from my neck down ache. Also my arm is really sore today from the flu shot. I usually don’t react to them much if at all, so that’s unexpected. I really just want to sit quietly and stare into the middle distance. Lol. And eat.

I may work on the flower sal after all. I get frustrated cross stitching with hoop in hand, but don’t mind blackwork that way. That would be easier on my arm. I’ll just have to see how the day develops. If this all passes, I’ll tackle the clutter. It’s going to be a go with the flow sort of day.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Charity lady had a bag of yarn for me. About half is wool - surprised since they usually want it washable. However wool is good for the homeless since it keeps warmth even when wet. I'll label the wool hats. Mostly OLD vintage stuff, but hey somebody needs to use it up. Gray, green, blue.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Dlr, that was a nice gift. Sure you'll make the best use of it for those in need.

DC, that's coming along nicely.

Was out this afternoon and went by Michael's for the first time in a long time. They have some stuff back in stock, like craft paint and sculpy, but lacking in other areas. Did not see any baskets. They usually have a big aisle full of them. They had plastic stuff in its place. Generally they are doing a better job filling out the shelves than JA, but still saw one aisle that was just large boxes filling space, and one outer wall that was fake hay bales filling space. Christmas and halloween are both out, and not much of either. Did not see any of their usual seasonal jar candles. Lot of wedding and kids crafts in clearance. I got a few small items, beads, a pointy tool, gift ribbon all under a dollar each. Very few customers in the store.

Was close to Target so I stopped there for half-n-half. Dairy all the way in the back, and only 2 cashiers working. They still have plastic storage boxes, made in USA, which is probably why. I can toss a couple cardboard boxes and get stuff off the floor.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If the skein has "pull from inside", I do that versus rewinding. Years ago sis showed dad a "nostepinde" (yarn winder so you can pull from inside) and he made a bunch of them for her to give away. I have one but don't use it.
Using a Nostepinne | The Woolery
The trophy silverplate bowl is about 6" deep and 12" wide. I have a Lion Brand pound of Love stuffed in there now. Z - although a teapot is cute, carrying around a ziploc bag is much more practical.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
reminds me of the scrap book kraze .. have a tub full to go though and donate.
I prodigiously BAD at scrapbooking-- which freaked out all my friends and coworkers, because they just assumed that if you're into one craft, you'll be good at all of them... but I LOVE when people donate their old scrappy stuff to charity, because then I buy it and use it to make cards and labels and stuff for care packages.

If I get too many, I drop them off at farmers' market to be used to create park benches.
That is really cool!

I finally finished the fingerless gloves, here they are being modelled by DD17, still have to fit them to DD14 and make any adjustments

Hand Comfort Textile Sleeve Gesture

And here is a picture of my current yarn holder.
Brown Cat Comfort Carnivore Felidae For some reason lately, my phone takes pictures in "Live" mode, which means I get a tiny bit of video before the picture freezes. It doesn't translate when I forward it to the computer, but I love seeing the moment before the still shot, especially when it's the kids being silly. In this case, the cat the was going crazy valiantly defending me from the evil worm monster (don't worry, she never tries to actually eat it.)

Meanwhile, I sorted out about 8 whole or nearly-whole skeins I'm not using right from the basket by the couch and found a spot for them in my workroom/storage area (read as--everybody dumps their CRAP there...) Also I combined one small booger of black yarn with a 3/4 skein of the same stuff and added that ball to basket by the couch.

I am not sure what yarn project to do next... I like having something with me for times that I'm sitting around waiting, but most of my to-do list right now is stuff I need to do at home with machines....I'm not carrying fabric and hand-stitching pants on my breaks at clinical :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
my cell phone does the same thing! lol I wasn't great at it either.. then the card making craze.. think just cus others were doing it and then some clearance sales w friends so got deals.. told people to get me stamps etc. think a lot of it was wishful thinking for both dh and I getting stuff and not having time between kids, work and inlaws. tused to have craft nights at home too making earrings etc or before them. lets stay started on a wedding scrapbook 22 yrs in feb married lol not finishe! and now world is digital. then the kids stuff cus they weren't getting my good stuff lol

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I did some scrapbooking back when we had actual photos to put in the books but it kind of died by the late 90's. Luckily I never bought a bunch of stuff for it. Scrapbook paper is great for other crafts though. I did get our wedding album done, I think MIL was only one who wanted to see it. Then the cat chewed up the cover.....

It's very pretty out this morning. Should spend some of it outside but can't face the bugs yet. Next week we get our cold front and fall arrives.

Going to keep working on the "Cora" prints quilt today. Should get close to having the top assembled.

Zhoen, love the pics. DD is going to be the best dressed wench at the fair!

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,831 ·
I’m alternating housework and stitching today. It’s been slow going on the shells. They’re small so there are a lot of color changes and for now every color is first time use so there is an awfully lot of floss dividing and needle threading. Eventually I’ll reach the happy state where there will already be a lot of threaded needles to just pick up and go.

We got about a quarter inch of rain from Nicholas. Not exactly thrilling. But have you seen the videos of that storm in France? Holy moly!

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Quilt progress:

Textile Creative arts Tablecloth Rectangle Linens

Nightgown:

Clothing One-piece garment Outerwear Dress Day dress

It came out well but I'll be looking for a new pattern for the next one.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,833 ·
I like the nightgown fabric pattern. Those are good fabrics for a cheerful quilt too. I especially like the small pink flower on the bottom. It’s such a nice clean pattern.

Today I revisited what I’m going to use for the full coverage challenge next year. I’m taking out two kits and using a couple of patterns instead. Geese are a workable subject for February and the pattern is smaller than the kit. The other is for December. Instead of the forest/huge moon, it’s a stained glass style sea/landscape. It is smaller, I think, and will be a much easier stitch. I may change a third. It just needs to be a landscape, and I may restart one of the large ones that is all green trees. I really love the pattern and have been thinking about it. It would fall somewhere late summer early fall, I think. I could start it anytime, but would need to devote whatever month it is to it as well.

One of my neighbors got goats. I like goats and asked Sharon why. She replied for the same reason I got my bugs. Lol. Fair enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
lovely nightgown! those colours will make a nice cheerful quilt. lol goats well they can come over and eat your grass. worked yesterday the one main store longer then I thought.. so extra stiff. just trying to organize ds bday too. now people want to come ..glad didn't buy movie tickets! plus other stuff too do just too early before enough coffee. sleeping more too cus shot and allergy meds. will see how much work I get done today. cus if we have people over need to decorate w bday stuff ..have a pile downstairs. ds is being too cool lol fall stuff needs to go up too.

funny thing a friend gave us a photo album of all the pics she took. though the pics we would have wanted to see like mil and fil as kids or young adults we never saw until they were both gone and I found albums. no one in the family had seen them and would have been nice of course before they were gone to see and nice for the memorials. now there are lots to get rid of too..like building of the skytrain in front of their condo tower lol clouds etc. at least digital you can delete before printing!

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,835 ·
M - as an actual member of the actual Cloud Appreciation Society, I feel it is my duty to protest your dismissive attitude toward cloud photos. 😂

Some years ago I joined it for a birthday present to myself just for a lark. It amused me. I have the membership certificate - I’m proud member #38166. I even went all out with the mug, a decal on my car, and everything. My lifetime membership cost me $10. Now that’s value for money! Lol.

I’m not in the mood to do anything today, so I haven’t. I’ll probably start stitching soon and and wash some dishes while I prepare supper, but I’ve had a severe case of the lazies for a while.

I don’t know what cross stitch project I’ll do next, but I guarantee it won’t have as much confetti as this one. I’m getting to a section now that should go faster, I think. I hope so. It’s been plodding to this point, except for the background which is really quick.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Took another pass through JA today. Found a 50% off coupon in the pile and went and bought a 4-pack of crochet hooks and a pretty colored skein of Red Heart that was on sale. What have I done?

Also got two fabric remnants, a mottled red that is probably christmas, and a brown print that matches some I already have. I took a pass on some kids prints, not only do I have plenty, I am not sure what is going on with the outreach program for the children's shelter. It is shutting down and transitioning to a family services center, and I am not sure if the guild is continuing their association.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
haha Dcompton! I can appreciate clouds on the web! remember when people did double triple prints just in case well... lol we haven't even looked at most of them. FIL gave dh the slides etc like 15yrs ago..still sitting in the garage. I said just box and ship to your sister. cus we haven't looked at them at all. and now all the copies of family pics have come back to us so ...you can tell on my long time to do list. We have found neat pics you know when people put one photo on top of another in a frame? well found photos going back to the 50s in one which was neat. don't know if relatives on that side want them or should just mail to them and no option to say no! my cousin send me photo of photos she just found of an aunts from moms brother getting married. all the sisters together...showed my mom (was 17/18 at the time) and she was I have no memory of that wedding and never saw those pics before. said well a brothers wedding and teens not that interesting. 11 kids in that family.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Y'all are making me think of that massive box of photos downstairs I need to sort, scan, organize and purge. SHUSH!!!! I have ZERO brainpower for that right now, especially in my current bittersweet melancholy "my babies are growing up" mood!!!

CH- Pretty nightgown, and I can't wait to see how the quilt comes out!!! I will never be methodical and patient enough for quilting. I admit that, and admire those who are!

DC- I want goats some day, SOooooo bad... just a couple... but by the time it is workable, I'll probably be too decrepit to enjoy them for long. They are such funny little things!

I accomplished NOTHING today... ran errands, took a nap, and that. was. it. I'm still thinking about what my next yarn-to-go project should be. My community health clinical MIGHT take us on some senior home visits, so I am thinking perhaps a lap quilt or two might be in my future... I WANT to start that shawl, but I should cross off a bunch of sewing things first at home, and then learning the new pattern will take time, and, and, and... ok, I've convinced myself. It's shawl time!!! 😜 (I do, however NEED to do the renn pants and modify that shirt tomorrow so DD14 has 2 outfits for the weekend...)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Finished a adult hat and child's hat from the donated yarn, partial skeins. Working on one of the wool skeins now. Tried replacing a zipper head only in some trousers but I think that is going to be a fail. Not sure if replacing the whole zipper is worth it.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Played with yarn for a bit this morning. Think I have the hang of the basic loop, not sure why it is coming out candy-cane shaped. Did something wrong there....

Don't seem to have the energy for much of anything today. Will take the Cora quilt with me Monday. May punch out some more Hattie's Choice pieces to work on too.

1821 - 1840 of 1841 Posts