Frugal Village Forums banner
1961 - 1980 of 2096 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
Love seeing and hearing about everyone's progress and projects and shopping finds.

I got the glue soaked and scraped off the drawer and one door of the little cabinet, formerly the future jewelry armoire. I'll do the second door tomorrow. We put some simple feet under the cabinet too, so the platform of my embroidery stand can slide underneath. Progress. We've both tried and tried but have conceded now we can't get by without small tables on each side of our recliners. I hate it because it makes things look cluttery, but I hate it more when we lose functionality. We'll never live in a home decor magazine so it is what it is. On the plus side though, the cabinet has storage we can make good use of, and the small table with magazine rack it replaces can be donated. I thought the small table would work for me and in some ways it did for several years, but the cabinet will be much better overall. We're slowly shedding small furniture pieces that are almost all clutter magnets and add to the mayhem, so that's been helpful lately. On the other side of my recliner is the cast iron treadle sewing machine frame I salvaged, which I put an antique oak tabletop on. I'll never willingly get rid of that. I replaced the cobalt blue vase I hated everything about except the color with a crystal vase I love but was going to donate. I throw little bits of trash into a vase because I don't have room for a trash can. Can't believe it took me so many yrs to change out that cobalt vase. I guess because I liked the color. The new one sits on the foot platform my old treadle frame, nice and handy. The old one will be donated, more clutter gone.

I have a long list of small projects and changes I hope to get done by spring. It's going to be a short winter.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Our squirrels are hilarious. One of them has decided the bird feeder is a ready made winter food cache, so he brings apples from the ornamental apple trees and buries them in the sunflower seeds. Then he gets mad because the bluejays come and dig around, and his apples get uncovered.
My squirrels aren't anywhere near that funny. I demand new squirrels!

I think crocheting is a bit seasonal with me these past few years. I tend to do less in the summer and pick it up again in the fall through spring. Probably because I didn't want something warm on my legs during warm weather
I agree! So many of my friends/classmates/coworkers just don't understand that there is a such a thing as "yarn season."

Getting rid of stuff is one of my favorite things!
It's such a great feeling, I agree! Enjoy your ruthless exorcism of the ghosts of projects past!!!

CH- Oooohhh such pretty fabrics! I definitely am grateful that I suck at sewing... if I ever get good at it, fabric hoarding would totally become (more) of a problem!

I throw little bits of trash into a vase because I don't have room for a trash can. Can't believe it took me so many yrs to change out that cobalt vase. I guess because I liked the color.
We have a bottle in the family that is kind of like your blue vase. It's a pretty color, but really kind of an ugly piece overall... BUT... it was in my grandmother's dining room window for as long as I can remember, and when she downsized it was the one thing my sister and I actually wanted to make sure didn't get tossed/donated. I kept it in my china cabinet for a few years (she moves a lot and her kids were still little) then once her kids were bigger (and mine were just starting the "opening cabinets and breaking stuff phase" it went to her and will stay there.

It's clever using the vase for trash! I wouldn't have thought of that! One of the knicknacks on the shelf next to my chair is an big abalone shell, and I use that to hold all my little yarn snip-offs while I'm working on something.

Today I added to my stash. 2 big stitch holders (like giant safety pins to keep your knitting from getting all messed up when you're not doing it) A tiny box of stitch markers, and 4 crochet hooks- metal H(8),I(9),K(10), and a plastic G(7). I already have all of those, but the H is what I use the most, and I'm always misplacing them. Also, I've decided to snag G/H/I sizes when I see them, because I meet a lot of people who say they want to learn, and it would be nice to have extra supplies to get them started with.
T
he baggie cam wth 9 metal TINY hooks for lace/tatting. The size 1 is smaller than anything I've ever used, and the smallest is a size 12 with a hook so small it is almost impossible to see! Won't be keeping those! SD- want them for your tatting? I'll mail them to you if you want!

Meanwhile, I am working on another hat from the "regrets yarn" stash... it is thick and bulky and fighting me. Y'all were right about the other yarn being "eyelash yarn." I looked it up. But that is 3 small skeins of regrets yarn gone now, and this hat will knock out 2 more, I think... if I every stop unravelling and tweaking it...

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,965 ·
SD - funny you should say that about the tables. When putting things away I did a quick look around surveying the spiders and webs and realized the house is loooong past serious cleaning. So the moderate job became a big job and then a bigger one when I decided to move around my recliner. Surely I could manage with just one table, and then I could put the stand on the right and …. Nope. One table just isn’t going to work. And the frame really has to go on the left and on and on. A couple of hours of moving it, looking at it, moving more, looking more, resulted in everything exactly the same except facing in a different direction. I agree that function trumps looks. Meanwhile, it’s only increased the messed. Why do I keep doing this??? But at least I’m not facing my clutter magnet worktable. That was enough of a change though that I’m having to adjust all the cords and chargers. I hate cords. I’m wanted to finish the living room tonight, but it’s already after 8 and it’s not going to happen. There’s always tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have sometimes thought that I would like to try making a crochet temperature blanket when I retire. But that would mean it would be around the half way point in summer and a bit warm to work on. I have seen some variation where people do squares or hexes instead of stripes. A modular one might work.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Zhoen - I have multiples of the H, I, and N hooks because I use those the most. Sometimes I have a couple of WIP going at the same time and I leave the hooks with the project so I can just pick it up and go from there. Almost my hooks are aluminum (I think - they're the basic metal ones from the store). I do have a couple of plastic ones but I think I 'inherited' them, although I'm not sure from where. (I sure didn't buy them!!)

I did give one of the plastic hooks (and a skein of acrylic yarn) away to someone at the local living history farm who was interested in learning how to crochet. This way if she didn't stick with it, it wasn't a big loss. She does like crocheting (she's also a spinner) so I think she picked up her own hooks.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
hope you are feeling better ch! lovely beads and fabrics ! lol I have lots of hooks old and new mostly use 5mm or g I think it is. I leave hooks w projects mostly. a mix of old new and metal and plastic. they live in a old wooden wine box.

dang forgot about caron cakes yarn sale but maybe go after work w dd. just doing one store that is a couple of hours. hit library on the way. dh got me gas yesterday cus I can't work that locking gas cap! running late cus well alone! dd cat sitting job so this last week is the first time I have been alone on a reg basis for a couple of hours for months. love them but just me need a mix of social and quiet ..of course still a slave to the animals lol the little birds let me know that it has gotten too cold and I need to put the food out. 50f here. asked ds to find the suet seed blocks from last year this morning ..he couldn't ..I did of course in a bag too tidy lol so they got some bird seed and the block can go up later when he is home. I need to stock up ..don't want to buy from that store but is the cheapest so will stock up. we are both up late and up early .. long weekend thanksgiving so need to get a ham at the store and bread cus no one touched it so dry so to the crows.

need a quiet weekend and just veg..want to see new bond film too. have stuff to do of course. ignore the basement lol you guys are reminding me of all the stuff to do lol get the dining room wall repainted and the the shelf can get put up.. guess kitchen one can happen too lol dh bday next friday and have to figure out what to get him.

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
Z, we have the tiny red squirrels that only live in the deep woods. They are not only entertaining but very vocal and loud. They also all hate each other. The squirrel wars here are epic.

Thank you for the kind offer to send me the hooks. I don't do much with tiny stuff anymore, so I don't think I would use them. I appreciate you thinking of me, though. I probably have hooks that small or smaller already. About 10 yrs ago, before Mom moved to town, she decided I should have her vast hoard of knitting and crochet tools after I asked if I could borrow a particular pair of knitting needles for a sweater I wanted to make. Or maybe it was DPNs for a pair of fingerless gloves. Whatever. She brought the whole shebang to town and I met her at the park, where we sat in the car like a couple drug dealers and I looted almost everything. I don't have the modern expensive gee-whiz stuff the true artists swear by, but for the little bit I knit or crochet, I have more than enough. Most is 1960s or older vintage. I have extras of various sizes, too, including some in with my tatting needles. I use the hooks to pull thread through picots, since I lack the skill and patience to pull it through using the needle.

D, I've tried every configuration of stands, tables, lights, and chairs, too. So has Husby. We've found what works and if it ain't pretty, so be it. Here's my new setup. Shadow is upset because she used to lay on the couch where my dad's cabinet is now, and look out the window at whatever critters were on the front deck. Since the change, she comes every evening, asking for the couch to be moved back. Poor girl. The treadle machine base isn't actually in front of the side door.
Picture frame Furniture Building Comfort Wood

Kathy, a square by square afghan is a great portable project to do on breaks or during commuting time and increase your crafting time. I made a granny square afghan when I was in high school and took the WIP everywhere with me.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,970 · (Edited)
M - Canadian Thanksgiving always catches me by surprise - even the four years I lived there. Like most Americans I’m totally programmed to only think about it in November. Happy feasting!

It’s back to the drawing board on the stitching set up. I like it, but realized I can’t get to the twirly thing on the blinds on one window to open them. I’ll figure something out. I have time to think about it while I deal with the kitchen. It’s a corner with a window on each side, and my choices are limited if I want to see out of both. Usually I have to choose one or the other.

I have the fancy hooks, Tulip and the short flat Clover ones - don’t remember what they are called. It was worth the investment because they are so much easier on my arthritic hands. I can crochet longer and much more comfortably. It took some trial and error, but I found those work much the best for me. I have smaller hooks I got when I envisioned taking up thread crochet, but after some disastrous trials decided there were easier ways to pass the time. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Martha Happy Thanksgiving, hope you all enjoy it.
I looked and Virginia was #7 in turkey production in 2019 (last figures available I guess.) That explains why I see plenty of turkey in the store, they must be ramping up their processing. Lucky me.
I attached and turned binding on 2 sides of the pink/purple quilt. It will be good to finish that and put away, maybe Sunday?

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
Can you lengthen the twirly thing, D? Would it help? I'm switching over to cordless blinds as ours need replacement. No cords or twirly things.

If I was doing crochet at the volume you were, D, I'd have better tools, too. You know I'm not a bit shy about spending money on quality tools. But it's not worth the investment for me when I don't do much of those particular hobbies. It makes perfect sense for someone with your level of skill and interest to have bought the good tools. 🙂

That's a gorgeous squirrel pattern. There are gray squrrels like that in town. My mom even has a couple pure white ones the size and shape of gray squirrels. Very cool.

Hope you can get your quilt finished, DLR.

I cannot use my articulating magnifier light with my new arrangement. It works fine on the back of the couch, but there's just no way now. Hello, Amazon. Again. I hope the new gooseneck version will be lightweight enough to clamp on the easel for my embroidery stand. That's where it will work best.

I finally looked into heat resistant tape and decided I had some left over from when I built a new duct under a cabinet when we redid the kitchen. I used that to tape the little LED light strips to a serger and sewing machine. I hope it works. I like the light strips but when the built in lights in the machines, and the motors, heat up, the strips unstick themselves. The aluminum tape is supposed to be good to 224 degrees.

As of this AM, I'm down 25.1 lbs. It's been many yrs since I was this low. This was a huge boost and a nice incentive to get back to better tracking. Next goal, lose another 5 to get to the next decade. I still have a long way to go. I took my ratty jeans in 3" so they're constructively uncomfortable again. These are the same jeans that were recently so tight the riveted button pulled right out. Nothing like tightening up my pants 3" to make it sink in I'm actually losing significant weight and not just losing and gaining the same few pounds in a depressing cycle.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,974 ·
Today’s work has been a lot more stop than go, but I must get up and do it. I’m still not sure what to do with the recliner corner.

Last night I was too tired to stitch so I pulled out the paper patterns and went through them. I was pretty brutal with most categories. Some left easily, others more reluctantly. I kept all the mandala patterns. Some time ago I decided they would work well with the variegated floss. The ones I have are designed like stained glass with all the sections outlined in black. That way, light or dark wouldn’t matter since they won’t be bordered by the fabric itself. I also kept most of my shell patterns and some tropical fish patterns. They are very old, probably from 80s or 90s, but are beautifully detailed. Long ago I stitched a couple of them and would really like to do them again. Tonight I will take another run through them, and probably a few more may go. I know I kept one flower pattern that I really like, but I’ve had it for at least ten years and haven’t done it yet. So just when do I think I would? Truthfully they could probably all go and never be missed, but I won’t be quite that drastic. Still, it’s really good progress on making the stash a little more sensible. I should put one of the smaller mandalas into the rotation now and see how that works out. If the variegated isn’t a success, probably most of those could go too.

·
Super Moderator
20,127 Posts
I think purging is a process. You really can't just toss it all at once, without being forced. But you feel better once it's done. I usually do, anyway.

Husby removed two monitors from his desk and cleared off the whole thing except for his desktop and a few officey things. I almost fell over when I walked in there. I'm afraid to find out where he went with them. I hope he decides to get rid of them. And a bunch of other things.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,976 ·
Whew! I’ve got an arrangement I hope will work. When the rubble is put away, I’ll get a pic. I moved the big side table, that is always a mess, away from the recliner, and I have a smaller be there. Instead of a second table, I have a cart. It’s not my first choice, but I can attach magnetic hooks to the side like I did when I used it before. I really need them for the floss since I’m doing big many-colored projects again. Both mountains and moon in the neighborhood of 75 colors.

I’ve just been sitting here killing time since supper so I might as well admit I’m done for the night and start the gridding for the moon pattern. I may need to move a floor lamp, but I’ll see how it goes with the black.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I got out the big pinwheel quilt and finished pinning the last few feet of it. So now I have no excuse to start quilting it. I even found a design that should be easy and quick, as much as that is possible on my home sewing machine.

There's a new fall postcard swap starting up. I haven't signed up for it yet, but I have started to collect cardboard and magazines for collage.

Hope everyone has a good weekend ahead.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,978 ·
It’s big party day out here. One of the neighbors is turning 25 and there’s an all out celebration. With relatives and friends, they expect around 40 people. They’re roasting a pig and who knows what all else may be on the grill, and the kitchen is going to be awash in Filipino dishes. I’m begging off. There’s still too much covid around for me to want to have anything to do with a crowd that size. Anyway my arm is still sore to the touch and somewhat swollen at the booster injection site. My immune system is apparently taking this little invasion seriously. More so than the second shot.

I started the gridding last night and did a little. The red filament is working much better than the sulky did. I want continue that a bit today, and maybe do the two squares on the flower sal. Or maybe something else. First though I need to get the space organized again. Everything I need is still on the table I moved away from the recliner.

Wow! I just had a food delivery. Ribs from the pig and some chicken grilled on skewers. Yummy. I just ate, but may have to sample the chicken. My neighbors are pure gold.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
congrats spirit! 25lbs is a lot! surprised shadow hasn't taken over the chair lol yummy dcompton! Thanks think they did it for a stat in Oct lol not as huge here..got a toupie ham for Thanksgiving family voted cus they love ham. Walmart advertised cooks bone in hams 1.27 a lb but either one I worked at had any.. hams were more pricey this year. another store always has them but was 2.98 a lb was like 1.49 last year. The walmart I was working at yesterday had barely anything. I ordered a turducken for xmas cus I always wanted to try that. so other store was on the way home so just got it because didn't want to be bothered and they have lots of other stuff so got some dutch cookies etc. some mini carnations just cus. broke down and got beef maui ribs love them but so expensive now ..marked down but still $16 for a serving I would eat but will share w dh lol

I signed up with postcrossing and got 3 cards in the last week. nice surprise in the mail. so requested more addresses to send out some...have international stamps almost $3 to mail a postcard yikes so don't do a ton.

did go to Michaels w dd last night but no anniversary cakes but buy 2 get one free. so got two vanilla bean caron cakes and a new caron go round ..yarn in a circle but colours I don't have. pissed off cats by putting the bag on the big chair and left it for hours lol dd got metal gel pens. planned on being totally lazy today but can't help myself puttering and cleaning lol..bleaching the kitchen sinks ..they don't look different but need it. smelly hands..stripped the bed washed blankets etc. don't know why I am active..been to be late and up early for days. put the yarn that came w the machine knitting thing in the bag of yarn to donate. got to stop wearing glasses in the bathroom ..see all the dust..not a ton but I notice it so rinsed off all the decor stuff. so much in a small place.

someone I follow is posting pics of a circle knit machine cardigan that is neat stripes. cats all scratching so time to put flea meds on them tonight. dh back from coffee w friend. running the dishwasher..last time the soap didn't dissolve but didn't notice that until the dishes were put away..dd job. well that stuff will be used fast enough.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ok, so I'll start with "I resisted as much as I bought..." (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!)

So... I went to a yard sale, saw MANY pretty temptations, then drove away. Then later drove back. I could have been MUCH worse, but in the end I bought 11 little baggies of trims and flower appliques that I intend to use for embellishments for all the hats I am making at the moment, then DD14 will go berserk when she sees them... and steal bunches for her "aesthetic." :rolleyes:

Flower Plant Sleeve Petal Creative arts Brown Flower Plant Rectangle Textile Plant Product Flower Textile Sleeve Flower Textile Rectangle Petal Plant
The seller was a 20-something and her mother, and many of these were remnants from the daughter's theater days-- they had lots of costumes and props... some I am pretty sure are still available at JA, but some of the appliques are clearly vintage... the mom said those were leftover from HER (late) mother. Very cool. I am seriously in love with some of the little roses in the picture all the way to the right. So I'm pretty much set for appliques for... ever... Not bad for $10!!!

Then, while out looking for other things at the thrifts, I ran across 3 skeins of patons bohemian (chenille-ish, crazy soft) yarn in a blue/brown pattern that they called indigo indulgence. Once again I am overset with mommy angst-- this is the same type (different color) of yarn I used to make DD17's supersoft baby blanket all those years ago. (She is turning 18 next week <sob>) Needless to say, they don't make it any more. Since it was super-cheap, I went ahead and bought all 3-- I have an idea of what I might use them for, but I have to be a bit careful, since it would be very difficult to locate more if I run short.

I also got some some fall and christmas garland-y supplies (from thrifts and freecycle) for decorating my Wednesday clinical site as the seasons change. I should actually be done there just before Thanksgiving, but I will bring them the Christmas stuff before we leave for the semester and they can swap it out themselves... or not... So technically that stuff should not be in my stash for very long, but it's here for now...

1961 - 1980 of 2096 Posts