Frugal Village Forums banner
2261 - 2280 of 2441 Posts

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Welcome back Hikr! Hope you had a fun time in the woods.

DC, I get pain in the thumb joint like that if I've been gripping too hard or too long. You might just need a rest. I'd be interested in the title of the Death Valley documentary if you remember it.

Working on the last 8 applique squares.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks DC! I missed you too. I think the travel scrabble game sounds cool. Do you have a link to the one that you purchased? I’ve noticed some issues with the base of my thumbs as well. It’s not really painful but it’s like a twinge here and there. My Mom had arthritis and so does my sister and that makes me a bit nervous that it’s in my future too. That’s too bad about your neighbors dog passing away.

CH thank you! We had a great visit with everyone. They have a house on the lake so we were able to go out on the boat, swim etc. It was a lot of fun. Such a beautiful area.

·
Super Moderator
20,940 Posts
It's hard to be without internet, for sure. We use our smart phones to go online when we're off the grid at home or traveling. We watched 2+ hrs of the J6 hearings on my phone last camping trip, use them to check weather, Gas Buddy, get turn by turn directions on trips, download library books, update our games (which we can then play offline), make reservations for our next trip, all kinds of stuff. Sounds like a nice visit with your family.

We have at least 7 coolers, from a 2 qt to 100 qt. They all get used, although I've been thinking about donating the 2 qt since we got a nicer, slightly bigger one after we bought the 2 qt, so could live without it. The 3 big ones are 5 day coolers, which keep ice better than regular ones. We buy very little for drinks and groceries on a trip, so good coolers are a must.

Sounds like the yarn will work out, Ren.

Sorry about your thumb, D. I hope rest helps. The Death Valley show sounds interesting.

Weather radio is losing its mind. It interrupted the first warning to broadcast the second one. Not sure if either storm will hit us, but we hear thunder and it's getting darker. We never used to have such frequent severe storm watches and warnings.

·
Registered
968 Posts
SD I have a smartphone but sadly I couldn’t get a good signal here at the house. Usually it’s fairly good but we had a lot of storms move through and I think that may have wiped out a local tower or something. Like you, I use it all the time and even more when we are on the road. I love gas buddy! Be safe. Sounds like a rough night ahead. Hopefully it won’t be bad.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Thanks DC. DH has always wanted to go there.

Cats and dogs are all sewn down. I lost the game of thread chicken on the last one, it was a crumbling spool of orchid I got from a grab bag. I did the last 2" in a shade of pink that hasn't been popular since Nixon was president, but polyester is forever, and it's unlikely anyone will notice.

I'm going to cut scraps for a 2nd cat and dog quilt, but put it on the back burner while I finish other projects. I'll need to return the dies I borrowed.

It only hit 99 today, but that was hot enough. I ran out of energy about an hour before dinner and didn't get to the beads. I wish I could remember where I put the opals I bought last time.

JA's going to have FQs for $1 on Thurs & Fri so I am thinking of going out. I used 2 today to cut the last 8 blocks, and I'm hoping they've restocked their selection of white on white prints. I use them a lot.

SD, hope the storms weren't too bad.

·
Super Moderator
20,940 Posts
We got some rain, about ¼". Not much else. Still under a flash flood watch, which wouldn't affect our house. Some places got hail up to the size of a person's palm. We still have a watch for scattered T-storms through the night.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,269 ·
This is the Scrabble game. I warned you it was crazy expensive, which is why I put it off ordering it for so long. It’s hard to justify it. SD - did you know there is a national parks scrabble? Probably you do
https://a.co/d/0SG9PcQ

CH - I’m eager to see your cat and dog blocks. They sound like fun.

We’ve settled into the summer pattern where we have heat clouds build up every afternoon. That hadn’t been happening but for a week or so it’s been day after day. That’s probably affecting my hands. We had one of those pop up showers yesterday, but it didn’t amount to much and probably most of it just evaporated.

The cross stitch is languishing. I just can’t get into it. No big deal. The stitchy bug will kick back in someday. Meanwhile I reserve the right to waste as much time as I jolly well please. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
20,940 Posts
That's a nice set, D. We've had a couple travel versions. Don't know if we still do. I finally did surgery on the regular kind so the board would fold in ¼s and it would fit in the game bag. I just took it out last week when I downsized games.

I can't get into stitching again either. I dragged out the little cabin kit Husby bought me a while back, but just couldn't get any interest in it. Maybe next winter.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Heavy clouds and drizzle this morning. It's a nice break from the sun, but the rain won't amount to anything. Expect it will clear off soon.

Plan for today is to trim some of the 4-patches that go with the cats and dogs, we'll see how my hands like that. No rush. The other thing I want to do is finish cutting the pieces to make 2 purses for girls. I have to pick linings from my stash. It's too dark this morning to do beads.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey everyone! I’m getting back in the groove. Cleaned the pool and plan a swim later. Dh just laid down for a nap so I’ll wait for him to get up. In the meantime I’m going to pull out the sewing notions and do some sorting. Dh asked me to replace the elastic in his sweatpants and when I went looking for the elastic I realized finding it would be next to impossible. What a mess! Apparently I’ve been slinging stuff in there with abandon and it isn’t pretty.

CH I have to say I laughed at your comment about the pink that wasn’t popular since Nixon. LOL. Were the dies you used for the cat and dog for the Accu-Quilt? I need to check Joann’s see what they have. I haven’t used my niece Accu-Quilt in ages and I’d like too.

SD glad you made out ok with the storm. That hail sounds awful. Good thing you didn’t get that - it might have dented the camper!

DC you are right, that is a bit pricy. But if it’s something that will keep you busy and entertained it’s worth it. I Iike games like that because I feel they help keep my brain sharp. I’ve never seen the National Park Scrabble but we do have the National Park Yahtzee and the NP Monopoly. We play the NP Yahtzee quite a bit. Our granddaughters love it too.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I think I can see that pink in my mind lol When we were killing time in the mall sunday in fashion store..told dd all the styles from 70s etc there textured nylon would have been twice as thick and rough lol. Glad you had a good trip Hikr!

haven't done any crafting last couple of days... the pool w all the bits and pieces like leftover chorline etc. gone..person who we made sure we were home for at 5 after bowling didn't show up but someone messaged after saying their wife said go get the pool but over an hour away. dh was he will come cus his wife told him lol just before 10pm ..didn't haggle about price and was lovely person so dh gave him $20 off for gas. since everyone else was offering $80 or else and we had it for $120 which was cheap. Him and his wife foster plus grandkids etc. no one interested in the tires yet.

had friend over for day trip and we picked her up and dropped her off from ferry. ended up shopping too lol so more groceries only the burgers and my coffee were needs..coffee on good sale. pudding short white rice is very hard to find but this local store has it so she wanted more. new place selling all european stuff too. scheppes bitter lemon for me. went to bass pro store since we were out that way..guess dogs allowed at mall cus we were just looking around in toys and friend was is that dog poop or toy poop..nope someone pooped and owner didn't clean up so told staff.

not sure if it rained overnight a bit or not or tonight..cooler yesterday and today..perfect summer weather for me low 70s. dh says work too busy to take holidays so think we will do something on the weekend. since working at local store will pick up my mom so she can go to mall. plus drop off dvds. leftovers for dinner and will work on project then.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Hikr, yes the dies are Calico Cat 55065 and Gingham Dog 55064. I'm glad I borrowed them, because I never would have paid for such a limited use die. But they were fun and easy to sew. My cutter makes it so easy for me to get quilts started, I'll never go back to the old methods.

The same woman has the new deer head (https://www.accuquilt.com/go-deer-head-die.html) and I might borrow that one next. I dug out a few more woodsy prints and I could use it for male-oriented donation quilts.

Started out this morning like you Hikr, went looking for stuff and ended up reorganizing. Had a bunch of remnants flat folded, but they got buried in the storage bin, so I pulled everything out and sorted by color and it's going back in rolled and end-up so I can see it all. Found some stuff I had forgotten.

I also got the first 10 4-patches trimmed to size before my wrist said "no more". Holding the square ruler down hurts.

M, the pink thread was my grandmother's so I am pretty sure I got the decade right. :)

Reactions: dcompton

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Sorting through stuff led me to the bag of fabrics I had pulled out for making purses. I cut the curtain valances into pieces for two more purses. Now I have to figure out lining material. There are several options:

Red or red? The plain red is kind of plain, but I'm not sure the dots work with the tapestry.

Rectangle Purple Textile Pink Creative arts

Green? There's very little in the tapestry fabric, but this matches and I have enough for two linings.
Brown Rectangle Purple Flower Textile

Then there's this bluish fabric with purple, and matching strap.
Outerwear Blue Purple Plant Textile

I'm going to match the dark purple polka dot with this leftover quilt fabric. The strap matches better in natural lighting.

Purple Textile Sleeve Bag Baby & toddler clothing

·
Super Moderator
20,940 Posts
Camper is fiberglass, so no dents, which got our insurance agent really excited when we bought it. Very happy not to have gotten hail anyway.

I finished the second dish scrubby, which is, of course, a brown boring square like the first one. Also did about 3 rows on the third and last one. The one I'm using now was a thank you gift which I got in November, 2016. I use it for scrubbing something almost every day. If these three new ones last that long, I won't need any more for at least 18 yrs. I decided that's a good way to think about stuff I make when trying to decide when enough is enough. For some things anyway.

2261 - 2280 of 2441 Posts