Frugal Village Forums banner
2281 - 2300 of 2441 Posts

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Ok, green it is. It's a full yard, so I might have enough to do linings and straps, if I cut carefully. I also need to check and see if I have enough interfacing for the 3rd purse.

My wool pad came. I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to see if I have any insul-brite to make a pad to put under it so I don't melt the plastic tables at the bee. Otherwise that will be on my list for tomorrow, too.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,283 ·
I finished the first fish, started the second and eventually realized I had started it two rows off. Sigh. I might be able to get by with, but it would definitely crowd, so I think I just need to take it out. With luck it won’t take more than an hour.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Ugh, DC, it's never fun to pick out stitches. Hope it goes quick.

It's cool and grey this morning, we're under the edge of a storm, but no chance of rain. The humidity is higher than the temperature, I wish it would fall out of the sky.

Anyway, I checked and I don't have any lightweight interfacing or insul-brite. It occurred to me last night that JA often has packaged snacks at their checkout, and I can use my 50% off coupon on something for our trip, like beef jerky which is normally expensive.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Sewing the gingham sleeveless top. I was not careful cutting it out so the bottom hem is not on a straight line, slight diagonal. I decided I could live with it since mostly will be worn around the house. The Caron cake in gray ombre is knitting up very nicely - soft and subtle shade changes. Now I am tempted to go back and purchase more if they still have it.....

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
that caron yarn is very nice. One thing I have realized is that I don't like tweed yarn and ombre styles 2 mixed together so haven't been tempted of lots of the new yarns. like I need more lol though after seeing the fall stuff out in the states may go by to see the clearance summer stuff... dd is always up for going.

haven't worked on anything ..interrupted a lot last night. today popped sinus pill.. so will after work. so nice and cool, rained last night which is great.

my cousin bought a crochet book from a famous comedian there..sent me pics she is in a ballgown but w granny square jackets, purses etc actually kinda works though if I have the chance to wear a ball gown outside of halloween I will be glam all the way. back to school stuff coming out at walmart already and I saw in the back boxes of halloween costumes.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Work continues to be icky.😞😠 I will spare you the details.

Working on a scrappy dish cloth with random stitches. I got several different brands of dish cloth yarn to compare. I will say that the partial ball of purple yarn that is missing a label is definitely higher quality than the light blue partial ball of yarn that is also missing a label.🙄. Not really helpful for deciding my next yarn purchase.

I am also working with different type of multi color yarn. One type is a twist with three colors twisted together. On type is speckled. One type is standard variegated. Not sure if they really go together well even when the colors themselves work well together.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
I got my various specialty materials at JA, only bought 5 FQs and totally skipped the remnants even though they had some cute prints. Forgot my ad, had a heck of a time getting the online coupons to load but got 40% off one and 50% off another. Didn't see any beef jerky at the checkout this time, but didn't have enough coupons anyway.

Sold another box of books we haven't looked at in years, got enough to cover lunch, and a few more feet of basement space back.

Scored big at CVS. Had a $2 coupon, got a nearly free bag of a snack DH likes, the register spit out another $2 coupon, then I remembered I had a $4 off in the car, so I went back in and got 2 more bags of nut snacks nearly free. In the end it was less than $1 per bag.

Then at the grocery store got a full sized bag of veggie chips half price, and they had Chocolove bars marked .47!!! I bought 8. They also had Biscoff dipping snacks for 99c, so I got a few of those. The chocolate bars can't go on vacation, but the rest can. Remembered I have some single serve tuna and mayo packets that make a decent snack, too. Between today's haul and the big bag of trail mix I had in the pantry we will be doing pretty good for snacks on our trip. And I still have a $5 Target gift card I can use.

Saw gas at 3.54. My poor little car can't keep up with the humidity, which is beyond uncomfortable this week. I may have to fill up before bee.

Dlr, if you put some trim along the hem of the gingham top you might be able to even it out by raising the trim slightly on the side that is too low.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,290 ·
Dlr - I like the shirt. It looks good with the shorts.

Wow. I am so lucky not to have to get out in the heat. The Scrabble game came - happily the package didn’t get lost this time - and I had to go out to the gate to get it. It’s only 91, but humid and the heat index is already 102. Instant headache and boiled eyeballs. I planned to do some useful this afternoon, but at the moment that’s not likely. So it goes. On the whole, very little is happening here.

I’m back on track with the goldfish but it’s not going very fast because my cross stitching enthusiasm is still pretty low.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
We're supposed to get storms this evening, some potentially heavy. Then again, we were supposed to get heavy thunderstorms yesterday evening but they never happened. Did hear some rumbles of thunder but no rain. At this point, whenever I see storms on the forecast, I won't believe it until I see them in person.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
It's only 90 here but the air is like soup. Went to Aldi this morning and had to lay down when I got home.

Going to finish cutting all the layers for the purses. I might do some sewing but I can't see myself ironing today. I may finish cutting, and go cut the cat and dog shapes I wanted. My bead order might come today, too. That would be fun. I should have looked more closely at the storage options on sale at JA yesterday. Keeping everything in a shoebox is not working well, I'd prefer components separated and sorted. There's some compartmented storage boxes I've been using for scrapbooking that might be re-purposed.

Ren, thought I heard thunder last night, too, but there was no rain. Or maybe it was a dump truck.

Dlr, the top and shorts look cute together. Nice work.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,940 Posts
It looks very cool and comfy, DLR. There are no mistakes, only designer touches.

We're back. It was a good trip though short, 3 days, 2 nights. The new campground at Split Rock Lighthouse SP is really nice, big sites with natural buffers in between, wildflowers in full bloom everywhere. No dump station, but that may be planned for a later stage. It's always nice to see our tax dollars put to such good use. The North Shore state parks have been in dire need of modernization, in particular electric sites, for decades. The North Shore is just as beautiful as ever. We didn't run into any extra traffic due to the Festival of Sail in Two Harbors. We didn't see the tall ships. Would have loved that, but not the crowds.
We went to a thrift store. No big bargains, but we got a few things. Husby got a LN stainless steel coffee travel mug, $4, and 3 antique white rolls of 18 ct aida, which we need, $4. That seemed very cheap compared to other store prices, but okay. We found out why later when we unrolled them and found 3 beautifully stitched Hummel pictures. sigh Lots of snipping and picking in my future. It's really not worthwhile financially to spend all that time, but I'm stubborn so won't throw them out. Husby found a puzzle we've both come close to buying on Amazon. It's an Aimee Stewart called The Family Campsite, $6. More than we would normally pay, but we would have eventually paid full price so it was a bargain.

We had perfect weather for the trip, which is always nice. We set up the AAR yesterday and really like it. It was, in fact, completely finished as much as possible before testing theories in the field. I couldn't remember where I left off. We set it up yesterday morning and put it away last evening. That short test generated a short list of tweaks and repairs that need to be made, so will try to get to those before winter. Some of the repairs are factory errors, such as missing loop tape where there should be some, and needing to install grommets to put tent stakes through because we need the ground flaps to lay inside the AA, not outside as Dometic intended. Others are small changes that will make the room work better or correct unforeseen problems. But overall we're pretty happy about the room. It's much easier to set up on level ground than at home. It's BIG! Plenty of room for our recliners, dogs, etc. I suspect we will use it a lot. The more we set it up, the easier and faster it will be.
Plant Sky Plant community Tree Land lot

I brought Shadow's monkey stuffies outside when we set up the room and her little eyes just lit up. I don't think she realized they're hers till then. She grabbed them and had the longest squeak session we've ever seen from her. She was such a happy girl!
Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Fawn

It's good to be home. I wonder when we can go again.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I finished a big project at work. Still lots of outstanding stuff to do, but I feel better.

Also so complicated drama at work yesterday but it should reduce my workload in the future. To simplify, I was given extra work that some else was supposed to do. My boss found out and was pretty worked up.

So now for some yarn thoughts.

Dish cloth yarn is not as nice as the yarns I usually work with but it is cheaper. Or is it? The big yarn cakes are more per ball, but there is a lot more yarn on the ball. And you can occasionally find them marked down. Where dishcloth yarn does not seem to be marked down as much. And it is often marked down by a minor amount.

I have a ball of dishcloth yarn I am thinking of getting rid of. It is blue yellow white, which is a color combo I like. But it just doesn't look good to me. It looks kind of dingy. I like a lot of subdued shades, but this just isn't doing it for me for some reason.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hello, I’m having one of “those” days. I’m tired, cranky and frustrated. I know I’ve fussed about the heat but it’s gotten to the point I’m getting headaches. I finally put the portable AC in my room and napped this afternoon. Headache has abated now. I called a place to shake an appt for someone to come out and give us an estimate on installing central air. The first appt they have is September 14th. I called a couple of other places and left messages to see if they could make an appt. Maybe we can get an estimate a bit sooner. I attempted to get online to pay bills and our ancient computer gave up. It’s 14 years old so it was coming sooner or later. I went online and ordered a laptop for under 200 and will pick it up tomorrow at Sam’s. I only use the computer for paying bills so I don’t need anything fancy. I hope it can get it connected to our internet when we get home tomorrow so I can finish the bills. I paid one using my phone but I just don’t love doing it there.

so that’s how my day has gone! Headaches, computer failures….I am going to sulk for a while and get over myself.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
I hate work drama. Like work isn't stressful enough already. Hope you have a relaxing weekend, Kathy.

I have finished cutting all of the purses, all of the linings, and all of the interfacing. Well, it turned out I had enough interfacing already cut but I still had to match it up with the fabric. It does not help that two pattern pieces are identical and one is the back and the other is a pocket and one has interfacing while the other has lining. And the lining for the back is not shaped like the back, but is identical to the front. Further, the front is called the "body" while the "front flap" is something else entirely. Confused yet? The paper pattern I was given has mistakes, but I have figured it out and written my own cutting instructions. I remembered to cut the strap first, too.

Once I sew at least one of these I am done with this project. I believe in the cause but it's way too much effort. I put in 4 hours today and haven't sewn a stitch. I've also lost my blue marking pen. :(

Feeling sore and achy because I missed a pill yesterday, but planning to relax with friends over the weekend. And not cooking, going to get fried chicken.

SD, looks like you and the dogs had a beautiful trip. Glad you have such nice outdoor weather.

Hikr, hope you get some relief soon. This time of year sucks.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Marthamfi. Sounds like fun with your friend. Glad you had the chance to hang out. Did you and DH decide what to do this weekend?

CH thanks for the info on the Accuquilt dies. I also really like the deer head one. I agree with the others - I like the green.

DC that’s great about the scrabble set being a winner!

KathyB sorry about the work drama.

DLRCPA I like the shirt and shorts.

Renmerc446 we had so much heat lightning last night it was crazy. We need a good thunderstorm to go through and kick the humidity out. Nothing predicted till at least Tuesday.

SD glad you had a good trip! Love the pic of Shadow with the monkey toy.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Marthamfi. Sounds like fun with your friend. Glad you had the chance to hang out. Did you and DH decide what to do this weekend?

CH thanks for the info on the Accuquilt dies. I also really like the deer head one. I agree with the others - I like the green.

DC that’s great about the scrabble set being a winner!

KathyB sorry about the work drama.

DLRCPA I like the shirt and shorts.

Renmerc446 we had so much heat lightning last night it was crazy. We need a good thunderstorm to go through and kick the humidity out. Nothing predicted till at least Tuesday.

SD glad you had a good trip! Love the pic of Shadow with the monkey toy.

·
Super Moderator
20,940 Posts
Sorry for your sucky day, Hikr. I hope tomorrow is better.

You might want to hold off on the central AC, if you can't get an appt till next month anyway. By then the worst will be over for this yr. There will be money for rebates snd other green incentives in some recently passed bills, and you could maybe save some money. Call your power company. They should either have details or will be finding them out as the new laws go into effect. If you heat with fossil fuels, you might want to look into an air source heat pump instead of just AC. Your power company would have info about that, too.

News just said the line at Festival of Sail is over 3 hrs long. We'd love to go someday but not stand in long hot lines.

2281 - 2300 of 2441 Posts