Frugal Village Forums banner
2801 - 2820 of 2883 Posts

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,801 ·
Kathy, I’m sorry you’ve come to this crossroads sooner than you hoped, but with any disability three flights of stairs would be very difficult. It sounds like it really is essential that you move. I hope you can find something suitable soon.

It’s another surprise spendy day. Audible has one of their sales where all titles are on sale. Usually I can still do better using credits, but a lot of prices seem to be lower this time. I’ve gone through my wish list, removing some, leaving most, but buying a fair number where the prices are below my credit cost, some quite a bit so. Now I’m scanning through the best rated in favorite categories, picking up a few more in the $3-5 range, if they’re a reasonable length. Cost per hour counts too.

I saw Sharon yesterday and showed her the panel. When I looked more closely I saw it wasn’t actually a stain but the color had bled in that one area. When I asked if she still wanted it done, her only response was “if you want to.” Huh? I don’t want to at all. But does she want it? When she gave them to me, she said they could maybe be pillows for little girl’s bed. But thanks to my excessive procrastination, said girl is about half a year from being a teenager, and is very unlikely to want them. Were they really sentimental for Sharon? Did she give them to me because I she thought would like a new stitchy project? Did she do it because she can’t bear to throw anything away? Sneaking feeling that last may be the reason. Anyway, I said just ok, but since she didn’t sound very enthusiastic they’re both going back into limbo until the world ends or we all forget about them. Lol

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My husband is looking at some apartments online. It looks like we will be able to afford something within walking distance of the metro. This will make my commute better. Of course it is more than what we are paying currently, but we can afford it.

I have this thing where I stress out sometimes over spending money. Even if I/we can afford it, a part of me thinks "hmmm...that is a lot of money, I am really not sure about it"

There is one in particular where the neighborhood seems nice with lots of shopping nearby. There is also a Michael's about six blocks away.

So overall I am feeling in a better mood. Not looking forward to the work of moving. But it should be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Kathy, IMO you need a financial planner. You're talking about a very complex situation involving a lot of money, with many different options available, all of which have advantages and disadvantages. A financial planner should be able to look at all those details and help you understand the pitfalls of each scenario.

If you sell your place at a profit and don't buy back right away, you may get hit with capital gains taxes. That could cost you a lot of the equity you have in your home now, which might impact the money you have to buy a house in your retirement city.

I hope you will have the time you need to make a decision that's right for you.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
I dragged out the manual and the pathetically skinny recipe brochure for my electronic pressure cooker. It's been yrs since I really looked at it, so I needed a memory refresh. It looks like it has pretty much all the functions of an IP, but not the presets or the modes for rice cooker, slow cooker, or yogurt maker. I have all those little aplpliances in multiple versions, so don't need to buy a new IP for those. Without the presetsif I want to cook rice or whatever, I have to manually set time and pressure, etc. NBD. It has the quick pressure release, which I remembered doing but thought I wasn't supposed to. But no, it's in the instructions. Now I'm more interested in trying PC cooking again. I especially want to try cooking beans. Instead of buying an IP, I think I'll probably invest in some good IP cookbooks.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Kathy, is it possible for you to move into a ground floor unit in the complex where you already live? It may be a while before one opens up, but that would be a whole lot less moving to deal with.

Today was very busy. I got out the door early enough to make it a productive day. Ended up not needing the fabric I took for pillowcases, as there were kits made up and I was handed one before I got my machine plugged in. As a group we made 91 pillowcases for a local hospice center. Two tote bag prizes were awarded, one to the woman who made the most (35) and one random winner: me. I was surprised, my luck usually runs the other way. The tote bags are very nice, hand made, deep with side pockets

I got all the strips sewn together, almost. After I finished and went to iron them I found a pile that was hiding that I can do later. Cut 52" lengths and started sewing those in rows, and ran out of bobbin thread around the time everyone started packing up.

DH collected up two moving boxes of books to get rid of. Yay.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Busy weekend. Dhs brother came to visit and we all had a nice visit. His girlfriend wasn’t able to come so we did miss her but it was a good visit. My thyroid biopsy was today so he stayed with dh which was nice to keep dh occupied so he was busy and not worrying excessively. The doctor took five biopsies and I’m on restricted movement for 24-48 hours. He said bleeding post biopsy in the head and neck area is common so no lifting either. I made baked beans in the IP so it’s easy for dh to just nuke a bowl when he’s hungry. I wasn’t sure if I’d have limits after the procedure but I figured I’d err on the side of caution and plan as if I couldn’t do much so I’m glad I did.

DC the watercolor lilies are beautiful. I hope your fall temps start showing up soon. 90’s is just too hot. It was 55 here this afternoon when I looked. It’s been rainy today too so it feels even colder.

Renmerc446. Spinning fascinates me. It’s almost hypnotic to watch. Have you been doing it long?

CH I’d love to find a regularly scheduled quilting bee around here. That sounds like such fun. Although my machine weighs a ton so I’m not sure I’d love hauling that around. Haha.

DLRCPA that’s disappointing the hat isn’t quite what you thought, donating is a great idea. If you can’t use it someone else can.

KathyB the colors brown, pink and white go together so well. I like them. I’m sorry things have changed with your husband and his health. I understand completely what you are going through as we went through this with Dhs health and our two story house. It is a lot of work but once you get through it I will say it’s been such a good thing for dh. I feel better too knowing that he can maneuver around here so much better than our old house.

SD I have never used the preset buttons on my IP. I always use “manual” and I do at times use “sauté”. But it’s rare I sauté. Anyway, I just hit manual and set how many minutes I want it to cook and walk away. Let me know if you find any good cookbooks, I haven’t found any around here in the bookstores and library. I use ones I find on Pinterest. Usually the first time I make something I follow the times listed and than I adjust timing up or down depending on our preferences the next time I make it. The first time I did baked beans in my PC the recipe said 35 minutes. Dh likes them softer than 35 minutes so I do them for an hour. The IP makes a great cheesecake! LOLOL. Dh wants me to make one soon but I’m resisting because it’s so good and I lack self control around it. Haha

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
A lot of dessert recipes can be scaled to make 2 small servings, Hikr. I started doing it to make desserts I could bake in a 5" Dutch oven at camp , but now I've worked out lots of others, too. It's fun to test them because then you get to eat them. 🤣

I hauled out a binder of PC recipes I hadn't looked at in yrs, full of recipes I copied but never did anything with. It also included an e recipe book I bought on eBay a long time ago and printed, about 200 recipes. I just went through the e book portion and crossed out all but about 6 recipes. Part of them I don't want because I already have recipes we like that use other methods, but a lot were just too similar to each other. I noticed that in the 3 library books and on Pinterest. They all seem to have very similar recipes, same titles and everything. I don't think I'll be searching for books. At this point, I'm more interested finding recipes one at a time to put in my PC binder. I just did a big cookbook purge and really don't want to add books back, unless I find a good one secondhand or something. I'll be using Pinterest, too, but I'm not finding much there either.

Cheesecake is definitely hard to resist.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hikr: no, I haven't been spinning long. I've been trying on and off over the years and only started to put an effort into it over the past year or so. My biggest issue is actually doing the work since I'm still learning and getting used to it. Right now I'm learning to use a drop spindle. I don't want to buy a spinning wheel if I'm just going to put it aside. Spinning wheels are expensive and can run from $500 to $1000+. Drop spindles are a lot cheaper. One of the staff at the living history farm spins while working there so I can get advice from her.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Hikr, hauling the machine around is definitely the least fun part of going to the bee. A lot of women have a smaller portable machine they take. A lot of us have some kind of wagon or wheeled sewing machine case, too. I lucked into finding an old scrapbooking case at a flea market a few years ago, that holds all my supplies inside, and then I can put the machine on top and roll it into the church where we sew.

Hope you recover from being poked so much.

It's going to be hot today, again. I'll get my machine put away and then go down to the basement and see what damage DH has done pulling books out.

Speaking of books, I wish I had a place to keep my cookbooks so I could reference them easily. There's just NO room in the kitchen. Some of my books have recipes that don't show up on Pinterest or blogs so I've forgotten them. I did a cookbook purge about ten years ago but still have quite a few good ones.

For those of you doing knitting or crochet, may the yarn be with you today.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,810 ·
I did a little more on the blackwork last night. I’m back to the point where I stopped and frogged what I had done. I’ve decided to just do it all in one color. I’ll continue with the reddish brown I started with. It’s much redder than it looks like here, a nice color as browns go - 😂

Black Textile Grey Tablecloth Font

On the management front, I should start the huge project of dealing with the fabric stash. I want to gradually get the smaller pieces cut to standard sizes, and need to do some culling too. In the past I bought several lots of fabric on eBay and there were inevitably some bits I just don’t like and would never use. With a place to keep the sewing machine set up I may use it more so it’s time to seriously deal with the fabric. There is also a big hole in it - I have very little light neutral, hardly any, so I should keep my eye out for some good sales.

I hope to actually get to sewing on the strips today. Yesterday was ambushed by the audible sale. I didn’t keep track of the rising total and don’t want to know - lol. Not exactly a frugal mindset, but there were so many at great prices that I was not going to resist. Since I usually listen for many hours each day, audiobooks are always a discretionary spending priority. There are a few I put in the wishlist to consider and will probably add at least two of those to the haul. The sale lasts a few more days.

Hikr - take it easy and recover quickly.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
DC it is no different then going to concerts or movies etc to amuse yourself. so go for the sales. Ugh just saw on twitter our news channel tweeted a story don't do latest social media challenge...cooking chicken in nyquil or other cold meds. I hope you are feeling better Hikr and you get a all clear. Found out my moms scan was clear but she doesn't like the lumps cus painful lymph nodes swollen and I say get a lymphic massage or do one but...you know.

haha dlrcpa lol think there is yarn version too. I say you don't see it then...doesn't count lol That is great CH a lot of pillowcases! My mom said the thrift store by the library has a small antique sewing machine for $400 ..I said must be a featherweight not common at all.

suppose to get up to high 70s today so will put the barbies out for last gasp of getting smell out. has been a dry summer and fall so far apparently not good for corn but great for pumpkins.

maybe finish the cowl. still early here. only dh working. news is all discussing the queens funeral. our cat w issues peeing on wrong side of pad because of outside cat. need to get more pet litter etc before bringing her in. has the weirdest meow like choking ..thought a cat was hacking up grass but was her. need to get more flea/worm meds too. and figure out dinner cus nothing is calling me.

I have the fall decor up just the mess in the basement to deal with from pulling everything out. I put out the hot air glass balloon that is solar powered to charge up. plus plus lol the reg housework. need bread and milk so will see maybe dh will get them when he gets the veggies tonight.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
I need those signs, DLR!

I have that same hole, D. Light neutrals are so boring I don't go looking for them and they don't catch my eye when I browse, but sometimes nothing else will do.

I don't have cookbook space in my kitchen either, CH. Fortunately there's room for a big bookcase in the MBR. It stores other things like my shoes, too.

In today's episode of Adventures in Home Improvement, we made the extremely annoying discovery that it wouldn't do any good to cut a large hole through the bathroom floor to run the drain line under the floor, nor is there enough space between the vanity floor and the house floor to add the additional plumbing fittings to move the drain to the back of the cabinet. So those two potential alternatives went down in flames. It took me a while, but I finally figured out if I sacrifice the bottom right hand drawer, all our plumbing problems will be solved. Hate to do it, but it's that or rip a big hole in the bottom of the house and rebuild the entire DWV line for the sink and shower. Wouldn't be the first time I did something like that, but I was a lot younger and more ambitious back in the '80s. A major redo here ain't happening. So buh-bye drawer, which will simplify all kinds of things. Ticks me off but that's the breaks, and it's a small price to pay. Speaking of prices, I'm glad now we don't have a plumber doing this. He would be facing the same problems and this is the kind of thing that turns into big fat cost overruns real fast. I might be able to turn the drawer into a tiny tip-out, but that's TBD. Otherwise it will just have to be a false front. Who's gonna know? 🙂 We haven't started the surgery on the vanity floor yet, which is alway tricky, but it's a weight off my shoulders anyway, just knowing exactly what we're dealing with and having the decision finally made.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Well, well, well! I tried making pinto beans in the PC this morning and they actually turned out! I'll definitely be using that method a lot. Canned beans are so expensive now. We like them, they're good for us, they're 0 pts for WW, and they can be used in so many different ways. I've tried making them in the rice cooker, which was okay, but they're a lot better in the PC. It took 40 minutes to cook them (they're old) and they maybe could have used a couple minutes more. I used this recipe from Pinterest, using a half batch of beans and liquid but without halving the seasonings. I didn't use the bacon either. I did add ½ tsp salt which I usually don't. It was too salty because I forgot about the broth having so much. Good flavor except for that, so the recipe is a keeper.

Dish isn't working again, so apparently the story about the upgrade the Dish guy told Husby was BS, as we suspected. 🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Glad the beans worked out. I have a bag in the pantry and need to cook more of them myself. I have a big bag of navy beans for soup, too. Sorry about the plumbing, sometimes you just have to go with what you got. Our laundry room sink plumbing is a little wonky, too, since it went in where the old shower used to be.

DC, I didn't keep neutrals on hand for a long time. Solids either, you can always find those. I only collected prints. It's only been the last several years with the remnant sales at JA that they've accumulated. Now they need to de-accumulate.

I feel pretty good about turning in the last two purses yesterday, and I told the lady they were just too much effort and too confusing, and she agreed with me. But the guild will have a bunch to send when the time comes. Some people like those projects. Didn't use the fabric I took for pillows, so it is back in the stash. Gave the cat and dog dies back to the lady who owns them, so those are gone. Still have the cut-outs for one more quilt.

This is how far I got on the strips:

Rectangle Creative arts Art Tints and shades Tablecloth

It's not ironed so it looks a little crooked. There are a lot of small pieces of the dark mottled blue, so it's in nearly every row. I did another dozen rows today, will do a few more each morning and attach them in sections until it's big enough. Plan is to end up with a ~50x60" lap quilt.

95F and climbing. We're supposed to end tomorrow in the low 60's. I switched out the quilts on the back of the couch and hanging in the hall for some fall themed ones. Not sure when we'll need one for the bed, but one got pulled out when we got the suitcases out and I think I'll just leave it out in case it gets chilly.

Reactions: dcompton

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi, feeling ok today. Got a bit of bruising at the biopsy site but no excessive bleeding or swelling so all is well. I’m working on needlepoint today and taking it easy.

SD why would I want to scale down the dessert recipes to two servings? Lololol! After all, Dh is probably going to want some too. :ROFLMAO: But yes, of course I’m aware recipes can be scaled up and down in serving sizes. I’m just being a smart-butt. Haha. We all have different cooking styles but keep in mind you don’t really necessarily need recipes. You can just cook your regular meals making if and modifications when needed. For example, meat loaf. I make my regular meat loaf recipe and just cook it in the IP. I’ve seen and pinned a couple of meat loaf recipes for the IP but I have had great success with doing it in the IP that Ive never bothered trying them. Dh has been served meatloaf in mini loaf pans, shaped as egg bites, or cupcakes and as regular slices. He doesn’t even bat an eye. Then again, he knows I do a lot of “winging it” so he mostly rolls with it.

Renmerc446 I think that spinning is a great skill and would be fun once you get the rhythm going and such. DHs Mom had a spinning wheel but she didn’t spin. I was always curious about how hard it would be to master. It looks difficult to me.

CH I hear you on the cookbook storage. I had a large shelf in my kitchen in our old house and when we moved here I made a concentrated effort to “thin the herd”. I had no less than a thousand of the paper ones they used to sell at the checkout counters - “100 ways to cook with ground beef” or whatever. it was a little funny because I came downstairs one morning and our Great Dane had decided to help me out. I walked in the kitchen and found she’d yanked a bunch of the cookbooks off the shelf and chewed them, tossed them around etc.She was standing there wagging her tail looking so proud. So funny. I told her I got the hint and I got to work from there. I have a small cart I store my air fryer and Instant Poton and I’ve crammed the books I saved there, it’s not ideal but it’s the best I’ve got for now.

DC the needlework is so intricate. I like it. I love fabric but it seems to multiply on its own and fill closets or drawers!

DLRCPA feeling tired but otherwise good today. I love that ad you got in your email. Looks about like my stash. Lolol.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hikr: Hope you feel better and get your results back soon.

Spinning only seems hard at first, like a lot of crafts when learning it. It takes time to build up muscle memory and feel for the tension. I've been very inconsistent in doing it but I do feel like I'm learning. It's also a lot easier to learn (imo) from someone in person, rather than just on youtube or video, because they're right there and can see what the problem is.

Skein #2 is almost finished. I should have it done, probably on Thursday, depending on whether I get into my Pilates class. I'm on the wait list again but at least I'm a lot closer than I was this time last week. I was #10 last week, tonight I'm at #4. So I think I'll probably get a text saying I'm part of the class sometime tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Hikr, after yrs of writing a cooking column and more yrs of helping people on the camping forums learn to use DO's, and still more yrs of fielding questions from people attending DO demos I gave at our state park and at rallies, I no longer assume anyone knows anything. 🤣🤣🤣 I'll never forget the time the entire editorial staff told me they didn't understand the abbreviations t. and T. in recipes and said I needed to use something else. LOL! Oops on my part.

I scale down recipes for lots of reasons, actually. It's often the stuff that's very bad for us, so I'm not going to make a big Bundt pan of Almost Tortuga Rum Cake drool or a 9x13 pan of the incredibly decadent Oatmeal Carmelitas double drool. Sometimes it's because I don't want leftovers to deal with, like when we're camping. Sometimes (often) it's because it's an experimental recipe that we don't want a big pot of that we would have to eat even if we don't like it. Etc.

I got out the little furniture dollies, so they're ready to move the vanity tomorrow. I've come up with a couple other potential ways to deal with the drawer that has to be removed or modified. I expect once the vanity is in place, the solution will be obvious. I hope. I will be so happy when the vanity is in place. It goes into a very tight space with obstructions at the bottom of one side and a few inches above it on the other, which is another limiting factor impacting what I can do with the drain line and therefore the drawer in the way of the drain. I just hope I don't have to learn too many new words tomorrow. I'm dreading the whole process but we just have to push through it and deal with whatever problems may surface.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Hikr, you said to let you know if I found a good cookbook for PC cooking. Of the 8 or so I've been looking at the past few days, I think this is one of the better ones. It has a nice variety of different recipes, and classics, too.
Food Recipe Ingredient Cuisine Leaf vegetable

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My husband has been printing out things for various different apartments. We could, in theory move nearby. But since we are going through all the hassle of moving, we want to tale the opportunity to move to a better location.

Right now now, I have to take a bus to get to the subway. We plan on moving to a place where I could walk to the subway. This would make my commute shorter.

I am working on calibrating my ideas of money. Things - rent especially - cost more than they did when I was younger. And costs that seem high to other people are normal - or even good deals - here in the DC area. The apartments we are looking at are ten times the cost of my first apartment in my old hometown...

Trying hard not to be the stereotype of the old person who is always going on about what stuff cost when they were young....

2801 - 2820 of 2883 Posts