Frugal Village Forums banner
2821 - 2840 of 2883 Posts

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Little black kitty has her annual check-up today. That will take a good bit of time. If it is not too hot and I can leave her in the car, I want to stop and get some fresh vegetables. I can go another day or two, but today would be convenient since I'll be right next to the grocery. It's supposed to get to 85 today, but it's already 80, so I'll have to play it by ear. The cool air is sitting barely an hour north of us and I don't know when it will shift.

We pulled two boxed games off the shelf last night and will try and sell them. They were given to us maybe 10 years ago and never opened. Brand new they are selling online for $20-30 each.

At the last quilt show I bought a purse pattern for $1. I hope it is easier than the last one. It's from back when photo transfer was all the rage. I think it might make a good phone bag or travel bag to hold CC and ID. I'll try it with scraps first. These might be fun with the bag of Kaffee Fasset remnants I got.

Font Poster Drink Illustration Satellite phone

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,822 ·
I try not to be the old person going on about what things cost just last year 😂. Good luck in your apartment hunt! I agree that if you have to move anyway, you might as well make the new location as convenient as possible.

I woke up today with a whole new mission. I’m hoping that morning ideas aren’t as crackpot as 3 a.m. ideas usually are. You know the sort. Lol. My goal for the fall - mind you, I’m just pretending it’s fall - is to use up virtually all of the Christmas fabric in the stash. I have too much bought with projects in mind that never actually happened. I really like the new fabrics I bought for the Christmas quilt so I will probably keep/use that for a lap quilt for myself. Everything else is on the block. Place mats, coasters (I’ll use the term “mug rugs“ to make them sound more exciting), gift bags - do you have any other ideas for small things? I’ll take them all to the Thanksgiving dinner that will have all the usual guests and hope they carry them away, assuring them it won’t hurt my feelings if they don’t. I’m sure Sharon can dispose of the rest. Lol. I will probably have enough fabric that I can use for backing, but if not, Amazon has some inexpensive 108” fabrics, around $10 yard or even less. I don’t care if it’s not the greatest. I could get a yard of that in a color I would use for myself, probably a green blender. It would be worth it to move all the Christmas stash out. I might not need to though. There. I have my assignment. It would be a relief to get all that out of the stash.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
DC, look up "microwave bowl cosy". Only uses fabric and batting, they are all the rage right now. Potholders or hot pads for the table are also easy and can be made with scraps.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Table runners, napkins, cell phone cases, zipper bags, pillowcases, aprons, potholders. That's all I can think of right now.

I'm hoping the worst is over in the bathroom now. We did the surgery on the cabinet floor, always painful but it won't show. We got it set in place and screwed to the wall, without damaging the paint or learning any new words, so that helped. For a while it looked like it wouldn't go all the way against the back wall, but eventually I was able to wiggle it into place. Nothing is ever quite square in a house, and it was a very tight fit to get it in there at all. It looks like I can modify the drawer into an L shape and save about half the storage. That's what's really gonna hurt. The vanity is such nice quality and the drawers are solid hardwood, dovetailed on all 4 corners, and I have to carve that up. I don't have the tools or skills to match the quality. 😭😭😭 I'm hoping it won't show, and that it works when it's done. Here's a visual aid to show the offending pipe that can't be changed.
Wood Gas Machine Hardwood Metal

I will attempt to run the new drain to the back of the cabinet, then along the wall to the sink, etc, so it's as out of the way as possible. I need to relocate the track for the drawer and finally, after all these yrs, make a parts list so we can buy everything tomorrow. Our goal is to be done by the end of the week, and I hope we can get there. Not sure. I'm paying the price for helping to move the sink and cabinet, so need to rest. The sink is a lot heavier and harder to deal with, and right now it's sitting on the couch. But we'll get it moved somehow. I'm hoping this is the last big, heavy reno we have to do here.

As I was walking out of the garage I noticed some black plastic pieces on the running board of the truck. Husby apparently slammed the door on a fanny pack we use for doggy pickup bags and shattered the parachute buckle. 🤬🤬🤬 So I had to replace that. Oh, well, luckily it's my worst problem so far today.

Dish is coming later today. I hope they don't send the BS guy we had last week. We think the problem is the receiver, which is only a yr old, so we want it replaced. I don't want this to be like the dang heat pump, where they come, it works, it quits working as soon as they leave, and it never does get fixed.

Storms moving in here. It's 55 degrees. Welcome to fall.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
ooh yes soup cozys are great! I have a bunch. Think they are the most used item besides dishtowels etc in the kitchen. plus you can do different fabrics on each side. No Kathy moving is a pain and yes everything has gone up. News always says gas is going up and then it does..think they are told so back up to over $2 a litre here after they just said how much everything food etc is up and how food banks plus people who do free meals are struggling.

no crafting here.. kids friends were over and late dinner.. and then just before midnight ds comes out cockroach as he threw out his sandwich the back door to the delight of the raccoons. and the alarm was on. long story short dh took him and his friend to get some graphic cards and his friend bought over a computer power supply. well friends place is awash in cockroaches since his mom died and his dad and sister are pigs. ds was well we sprayed the power supply etc. it is now sitting in the tent trailer cus I said that is how they spread from hiding in stuff like microwaves getting moved in places. he was freaked out cooties.got 2 of them in his room and slept on the couch. and has learned that maybe mom isn't a hardass but keeping your house reasonably clean is for a reason. why piles of dirty dishes etc in teen rooms not allowed.

in the high 70s today but not that humid so lovely weather. will go to work since I need to go by library on the way there. did a diff store yesterday cus I needed bread and milk etc lol I have to do them by a certain date so just couple days early. one is for today but don't feel like bridges today. since it is walmart will get subs for the guys and creamo since way cheaper there at the moment. easy button like pasta tonight, wildlife getting the ham dinner leftovers.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Skein #2 is almost done. I may get it finished tonight, even with having my Pilates class after work. I'm starting to think that I may need all the skeins I bought for this WIP. I made the afgan a bit wider than usual since the person I'm making it for has a family. This way, they can snuggle up under it when my friend isn't using it for LARP.

It's getting cooler. Today is only supposed to get into the low 80*s. It's been so warm (despite the temps dropping into a more comfortable range) that I sometimes have to force myself to remember it's mid-September (and fall already). Friday's going to be chilly. Time to pull out the sweaters and jackets...

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Kathy, LOL. Right now I am buying some smoke detectors for my home that have gone up 20+% from 2 years ago (exact same model I bought to put in parents' house.) I just feel the need to grumble a bit about that. ;)
DC I would second whoever said "aprons", they could live in the community kitchen. If the fabric is lightweight I would probably make them double weight/reversible but that may be too advanced. Pillowcases would also use up a lot.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
DC, no, don't use insulbrite on the microwave bowls, it has a layer of metallic stuff in it. Just batting on the inside.

Black Kitty is home from the vet. Overall she is doing good, vet said she looks healthier than she has in the past. But she found a patch of raw rashy skin on her back leg, which means she got another injection this month.

Clouds are moving in and the temperature has leveled out. I was able to grab some things from the grocery store after all. That'll keep us until next week.

DH's company has decided that "people need to be in the office now" which is stupid since not only are they working fine from home, but the office has no furniture or computers left in it. I guess they were leased. Starting next week DH has to go in one day a week. I'm going to see if I can find his lunch bag, haven't seen it in a couple years.

I think I will sew some strips, and see what else can be done.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,830 ·
CH - I was only asking about the insulbrite for the potholders. As for aprons, I doubt I will have enough large fabric and, yes, lined or reversible is above my pay grade. I’m looking for easy.

It’s a good day here. Before long my neighbor should be here with a workmate. He and his wife have little furniture and they’re taking the old recliner. I showed the neighbor controller replacements on Amazon. I can’t guarantee they will work but they all seem to be pretty standard. I will be glad to have it out of the house. I haven’t had much luck finding anyone willing to haul it away. At least this isn’t costing me anything.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi. Today is our 37th wedding anniversary! We’d talked about a little day trip to check out foliage but the area we wanted to go to has hardly any change. So we opted for lunch at Olive Garden and we will do the day trip in a week or two when the leaves have had a chance to change. Peak is typically around 10/12 or so. Lunch was nice. We had fun reminiscing about our years together. Life is all about the little moments. ❤

SD I’m aghast that the editors didn’t know what “t” and “T” stood for when used in recipes. Too funny. Makes me think of my friends husband - she came home from work and he told her he’d tried to make brownies from the box but it didn’t say how much water or oil to add. She looked at the box and the box did say water and oil but it didn’t say 1/4 cup….it showed a picture of a measuring cup that was filled to the 1/4 mark. I laughed so hard. People never cease to amaze (and baffle) me. 😂. Thanks for the cookbook tip. I’ll see if they have it around here. I was in the library yesterday and I did cruise the cookbook section to see if they had any new ones I could share with you. Not a one on the shelves. How did it go with the Dish guy?

Renmerc446 I hope you can get into the class you want. I can see how it would be easier to learn spinning with someone that can see what you’re doing if you get hung up. It looks so difficult when I’ve seen it being done.

KathyB I think looking for places where you can walk to subway and a better location is always a plus. As you said if you’re moving anyway you might as well check those boxes.

CH how did little black kitty make out at her appointment? I need to call and get Ginger an appt for a nail trim. I’m going to ask and see if they will weigh her so I can see if our attempts at getting her trimmed down a bit or not. She’s not loving the new regime. Lol. I remember when those photo bags were all the rage. I just caught up and see you posted about little cat. Glad she’s looking healthier but bummer about the rash on her leg. Hope the shot clears it up.

DC the bowl cozies that CH mentioned are really popular here too. I have two and I plan to make a couple more. For the batting use “wrap and zap”. It’s safe for the microwave. One year I made fabric trivets for everyone. Basically it’s just a bigger potholder. I used two layers of the wrap and zap and in between the layers I placed balsam so they would be scented. You can use whatever scent you want or no scent. If you use a scent you can put it in those little drawstring organza bags I’ve seen at the Dollar Store. Use Velcro on one edge of the trivet so you can just pull the scent bag out when you need to wash the trivet.

Marthamfi that’s a tough lesson for your DS. Cockroaches are so gross. We don’t seem to have them in Maine but I’ve seen them when visiting places in the South. I can walk on water if there’s a cockroach near me.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Funny about the brownies, Hikr. Now you know why I don't assume anyone knows anything!

Dish canceled and updated us that they will come 10/5. NOT happy. I think Husby is going to call them tomorrow and TELL them to send us a new receiver he can set up himself. If that doesn't fix the problem, they can still come 10/5. This is ridiculous we have to wait over a month to get this taken care of. To make the whole thing even stupider, the dang thing started working again late this afternoon. 🙄 Wonder how soon it will quit this time.

I'm suddenly very tired. It's been a long, busy, stressful day.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,834 ·
The chair is still here. The pick up got derailed for some reason. No problem. It can just sit there. It’s sort of in the way, but I can get around it.

I would need a template to make the cozies. Thanks for the info about the wrap and zap. I saw that and it suggested pockets for baking potatoes. That sounded promising. I’ll look into it. I guess cross stitch is on hold for quite a while.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Happy anniversary Hikr.

Feeling a little burnt out looking through places. There were all sorts of places that looked good, but had issues. There is one so far that still looks good all around.

And then there is the realization that moving means going through our stuff and deciding what we want to keep. That is a big task too.

And right now we are thinking of pairing down stuff to fit in a two bedroom place. Because so many of the apartment complexes are only two bedroom places. Also there is a price difference issue.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Going through stuff is difficult, even without the stress of having to do it in a rush when you move. Start letting go of things slowly, but definitely start doing it. There are some studies that suggest clutter adds to anxiety and stress.

It is 58F this morning, compared to the 97* we had Tues night that is quite a drop. I will need a long sleeved shirt for sure today. I've got errands to run, pills to pick up, some paint supplies to find, and cat food to buy.

DC, there is a downloadable cosy template here: Sew this: Soup Bowl Cozy - Free Pattern You'll need a printer. It uses a 10" square.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,839 ·
Kathy - culling for a move is a daunting task, but better to do at least part of it now before your final big move. The sooner you can do it, the more likely you can physically handle the work. Aging isn’t easy and who knows what five years will bring. Of course, I hope this won’t be an issue, but you never know.

CH - Thanks for the link. As always, the kitchen needs attention, but I hope to get more strips sewn today. When I was looking at fabric I saw a funny tee - “It’s all fun and games until the bobbin runs out.” So true.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thank you all for the anniversary wishes! We had a lovely day. And I look forward to the rest of our lives (although of course there are times he drives me nuts but I can’t imagine living life without him). It is pouring rain today. Absolute deluge. It’s good because we still do need it but it makes me just want to nap.

SD that’s ridiculous about the Dish. Did dh call and see if they’d send the equipment and let him handle it? Could there be a short in the line or something like that? Where it comes and goes I question that. I’m not an electrician though so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. haha.

DC I’d forgotten about the potato bags. My MIL bought one at a craft fair and loved it. I’ve never used one.

Marthamfi I laughed till I had tears that your dh wanted to buy plastic cockroaches for DS bed.! I can imagine his reaction!

KathyB I was floored at how much “stuff” we had when we started culling things for the move. It was ridiculous. And if dh had it his way we would have kept everything. He went to a maritime college and had to purchase a wool coat as part of his winter uniform. It had been in the closet for 30 years and he’d never worn it after he graduated. I’d go through periodically and suggest we donate and he always replied “that’s an excellent coat and it was expensive”. 30 years of that conversation. Lol. I mean, yes it was expensive and a good coat but he hadn’t been able to wear it since graduation. He’d outgrown the thing in every way possible so there was a less than zero chance of him wearing it again. Let it go, dear! When he finally agree I tossed it in the car and grabbed a few boxes and immediately drive to Goodwill and donated it. I just knew if it was at the house he’d fish it back out and insist we keep it. I wish you a ton of luck. I was brutal and got rid of a lot of things I’d been dragging around “just in case”. It got easier as I went along.

CH wow, 58 to 97’s a huge drop. Definitely a long sleeved shirt day. I need to start shifting my summer clothes and my winter clothes from the storage boxes under the bed to the dresser.

2821 - 2840 of 2883 Posts