Frugal Village Forums banner
2841 - 2860 of 2883 Posts

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Errands done. Did not stop at any fabric or craft stores. Got a cup of coffee and am trying to keep myself awake. It's cloudy and dreary, perfect nap weather.

Getting rid of stuff is an ongoing struggle here. DH has suits in the closet that didn't fit him 25 years ago..... To be honest, going through stuff and making decisions is a lot of effort, and I'm glad for every box we manage to get rid of.

Font Poster Advertising Publication Illustration

I think I will iron the strips I have sewn and see how much length I have now. Should be close to 60".

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
One of the common issues with getting rid of things is the whole "but it was expensive!" argument. But if you don't use it, the price you paid should not matter.

Another argument is the whole "but I might want to use it later." Keeping things in this category might be reasonable depending on your storage space. But tossing out everything in that category could let us save $1000 a month in rent. Is there a possibility we might buy replacements for some of it in the future? Yes. Would the potential replacements cost us $1000 a month? No, not even close.

I think this whole experience will be good for when we move after retirement. We should not have as much extra stuff to get rid of. And just like going for a two bedroom now gives us more options now, it will give us more options in retirement.
Crafty bits:

I finished the white/brown/pink variegated yarn. Not a 100% use it up, but very little left. I have the tiny bit of yarn left show off to the side.

The plan is to do three rows of the same solid brown I started with, then on to another variegated color.

And I did more sock patches.

Sleeve Creative arts Woolen Natural material Wool
Shoe Product Textile Purple Creative arts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
We are having dinner with BIL and SIL Saturday and she said come early and she would demo her new (expensive) sewing machine she bought this summer, that I have mentioned before. So looking forward to that.
A couple years ago I made a "bed runner" quilt - width of bed but only 15" deep or so. I found in summer that my lower body is comfortable w/ just a sheet but shoulders and chest were getting cold. So now I sleep w/ the bed runner across my upper body. Thinking I would make another one in different colors for the same reason.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Husby didn't call Dish today. Too much else going on. Maybe tomorrow, depending.

I thought about potato bags for us and decided it was just something more to wash and store. Same with those tortilla warmer bags. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Dlr, I have a small quilt at the end of the bed to keep my feet warm. It's nice in between seasons.

Kathy the patches look nice and coordinate well with the pink stripes.

My scrappy jelly roll strip lap quilt is done at ~52x 64. I have enough strips left to do another one, lol, but not this week. Killed a spool of lavender thread and need to wind bobbins.

First clue for the mystery quilt comes out this weekend, but I likely will not start it right away. Next week is going to be busy with Dr appt and another quilt show, so I'll probably wait until October to start on it. Like all mystery quilts, I can share some pictures, but not details that give away measurements or construction. The pattern is a fund raiser so they don't want folks sharing too much.

Tomorrow is going to be busy getting ready for the weekend, but I want to sneak in some time with my new pattern. It looks like it uses quarter yards and batting scraps, which I have in abundance. I'm going to use focal fabrics instead of photo transfers.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Glad you had a good anniversary Hikr! yes ds got traps etc lol slept 5hrs straight last night. That will be fun seeing the new machine! DL then you can borrow it lol I have one of those potato bags but didn't use.. got it from a small museum ..bought a couple for stocking stuffers. was so cheap $2.50 I think and was good quilting fabric not dated stuff or anything. cost of fabric was more then the sell price.

ugh Spirit must be a pain to deal with dish. Yes packing is what kept me from moving a few times since being with dh lol even at the wedding there was a comment about spouses stuff and he looks at me..nope said really your garage, office etc. he laughed. but yes 2 bed vs 3 bed so much $$$$ but you will be glad you did it. unless it is an older building that has good storage in the place like a big walkin closet or den so you don't have to do as much. the brown and pink are cute.

still nice weather here. traffic issues lately so went to diff store yesterday and last one tonight. by dh work someone around noon drove a rv the wrong way down the hwy..you can guess what happened and from the stuff all thrown from the crash..someone was living in it or moving..big pot plant included..all over news. and this is the main hwy and ferry route etc. basically every main route and bridge had issues so waiting for him to get home and go. leftovers or he can do mcds.
I bought flowers from the csa and they don't agree with my allergies seems like I am allergic to everything but roses or pansies etc now. just zinnias, dahlias etc so need to get rid of it I tried some brain work but nope but one laptop updated. don't know if mouse or port dead. so watched some when calls the heart since that is the fan event coming up. at least housework doesn't take much brain power lol watching halloween cooking shows and finished the cowl too. Now to put the vase outside and switch laundry.

I need to dig out that pumpkin doily I started a couple of years ago too. dh got me a couple of zippered project bags a couple of years ago so I put it in one and then it disappeared under the pile of yarn lol

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,847 ·
I had never seen a potato bag so I watched a YouTube video. My first thought too was whether it really served a useful purpose. Then I thought about nuking potatoes here. My microwave never cooks them evenly, so I might make a small one and see if holding the steam close would make it come out better. If not, very little lost.

I finished the first run through on strips, sewing them in pairs. I have three sets to press then I’ll be ready to sew the pairs into blocks of four. I’ve dried and put away a load of laundry I washed earlier today, and now I’m working on the blackwork. I haven’t made huge progress, but it’s coming along slowly. What I really like about the geometric style is that after I get a round started with a repeat or two, I don’t have to follow a pattern, except to turn the first corner.

Black Sleeve Rectangle Font Art

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
We thought I might have to remove a light switch and wall socket to get the new sink in place, but luckily we were able to finagle it into place with literally zero clearance. We thought the worst was over then because the faucet and drain line should have been total cake. Then the faucet install fought us for two damn hrs this morning. It should have have been a 5 minute job. We gave up for the day, then decided to give it one more try after supper. Yup, 5 minute job. Some days...

Tomorrow we should be able to get the drain line installed. I'm hoping we'll just need to cut one piece of PVC, dry fit it, and glue it all together. The complicated part around the trap is already done because we're reusing the old line, just adding one piece to extend it to the back of the cabinet. Then it will just be caulking, which I'll do when I have to do some other caulk projects, and the drawer revision, which I'll do with other woodworking projects. And install a pullout for the trash pail, four screws. Then at least it will all be functional. I still can't believe it's almost done. It's so much nicer than the crappy one we ripped out.

Dish quit again at 10 PM. at least we got to watch the comedies.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I got my box of yarn! A bunch is dk weight, so I might be making some lighter weight stuff...just in time for winter.😛 Well of course lighter weight yarn goes on sale in the fall. But I could always use two dk weight together to make a worsted if I wanted to.

It was ordered before we decided to move. And get rid of a bunch of stuff. Of course I am keeping all my yarn and crochet stuff.

Another big irony is that two of the neighborhoods we are looking at moving to are within walking distance of a Michael's, but I now have enough yarn to last three or four years. And we plan on moving out of the area when I retire in 4 1/2 years.

Right now I am alternating between crochet and going through stuff. And technically working from home, but fortunately work had been slow the past couple days.

A lot of truth to crochet helping with stress and mental health. Crochet is really helping me get through this.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Chilly in my area today. It's going to be 15-20*s cooler than it was yesterday. We did get some rain but now the temps have dropped into more seasonable weather. I keep thinking it's really cold for the season then realize it'll be October in a week. Strange how fast this year's go by so far. It'll be good crocheting weather this weekend.

Not sure how much crocheting I'll get done over the weekend but this kind of weather does get me in the mood to settle in with my WIP and hot tea.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
It's chilly here, too, 55, cloudy, windy. I started the fireplace.

We went to look at a building today, that could maybe be turned into a house. Yikes! It had potential till the realtor opened the basement door and the waves of mildew roared out. The claim is they had a broken water line over winter that went unnoticed for a few days. Okay, maybe, but it's September now and the stinky carpet is still on the basement floor. Why? Also, the steps were neck-breaker steep, and the supports in a crawl space were just lengths of 2x6 jammed vertically under a beam. Crazy. House hunting in this town is going to suck. Inventory is so low. Same in GR.

We finally got the sink stopper hooked up. Just the drain line left. I'm going to have to do that. Husby has no experience gluing the joints, and there's no room for error because it bonds instantly. Too sore today. Maybe tomorrow.

Making those delicious beans in the PC again. I suspect I won't have any trouble using up the overstock of dry beans we have.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Crocheted two rows on my latest project.

Carried out what seemed like my weight of stuff to the trash.

Going though an embarrassing amount of old papers to see what can be recycled and what has to be shredded.

I think my husband might be less of a homebody than I previously thought. Previously, he didn't want to really go out. But that was probably because he had trouble with the stairs. Now that we are moving he is acting like he is looking forward to going out places.

If I knew this was the case, I would have suggested moving earlier. But he acted like he really didn't care about going places.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Kathy: Good luck with your house/apartment hunting. Hope you find something that works well you both soon.

Got some crocheting done. Updated my computer to Windows 11 last night. It wasn't hard, just a nuisance as it took 2 hours to download and install. So I ended up just crocheting in the hopes that letting it do its thing with nothing else running would make it go quicker. Nope. Still took 2 hours to get it all done. At least I like the background picture on this one.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
The L-shaped one? I don't think that would be so bad. I did something similar when I slipcovered all our camper cushions using our old canvas tent. Lots of piecework there, too.

I still haven't started the couch cover using the denim squares from the quilt that refused to fray. I was going to try to figure out some kind of design but now I think I'll just go with making strips with random placement of the blocks, then lay it out for placement of the strips. It needs to get done more than it needs a design. Grinch Toes gets the zoomies on the couch and that's ripping up the current cover.

My morning mission is getting the drain line finished. It's hard not having a bathroom sink.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
It's finally in! Hard to believe. I'm so glad I decided not to delay the project by remodeling the drawer first. I'm pretty sure I would have botched that by not taking time to think it through and pre-solve problems, and we would have lost our momentum on the plumbing part of the work.

We're still pretty sure we would have spent about $500 on labor if the plumber had come and done the 3 faucets plus the whole sink and vanity install, so we're basking in the joy of money well not spent. We're sore from the twisting and turning of working under the sink, but not too bad. My arms aren't happy but I don't think it's long term injury. It's a relief to have the vanity out of the LR, too. Stupid it took this long, but no way to do it over. We're not gonna beat ourselves up over it. Enough of that already. Now we just have the small vanity to do in the guest bathroom, but I won't have that ready for a while. It needs repair, cleaning, sanding, painting, and then all the goodies installed like the trash can pullout, tipouts, and a couple other things. But since we bought the sink at ReStore earlier this yr, I'm a lot more motivated to start the work. Before that, it didn't seem worth the bother.

Anyway, this is a huge chunk of stash that got managed this week.
Tap Cabinetry Sink Bathroom cabinet Property

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I did a little more on my current project. The current yarn is a pink/green variegated with a little brown. I paired it with white for two rows till I ran out of white. Then I paired it with pink yarn. I probably have enough for two more rows of this.

I know longer have twice as much old yarn as new yarn...because I just got the new yarn order a couple days ago. 😛 Well I have been using up some old yarn too.

Brown Textile Creative arts Pink Magenta

Going through old stuff I wonder if people are predisposed to just keep stuff "just in case" or it is some learned behavior.

I am aware that my taste in books - and my husband's taste in books - has changed. We just are not into things that are dark or overly serious anymore. Yet we didn't get rid of the old things previously.

2841 - 2860 of 2883 Posts