Frugal Village Forums banner
3561 - 3580 of 3731 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
DC: Quilt looks amazing.

Very cold here today. Temps are only in the 30*s and will drop to the low 20*s tonight. The heater's finally going, although the wool blanket is great at night. Currently working on the blue afgan for my friend. That's long enough to keep my legs warm enough while working on it.

Ended up going to the hearth cooking class yesterday. I wasn't sure initially if I was going to because I was exhausted. (Stressful week.) Enjoyed it, although my knee was acting on and off. We had stewed meat (using venison) which ended up being something of a soup with veggies, mushroom savories, a sugar cake, a fish, and vegetable pie. Had dinner at the end. I still have some of the venison stew/soup.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Kathy, definitely send those photos to the people in them. Put them inside your holiday cards. Toss the rest. If they aren't valuable to you or your mom, why keep them?

DC, your quilt is stunning. Love the colors and the gold binding. Great work.

Ren, stay warm, hope the knee gets better. The cooking class sounds interesting. I've done some hearth/ campfire cooking and it's definitely made me appreciate my electric appliances.

Not much going on. DH and I are puttering around. He wanted to go through some stuff stored in the basement cabinets, that meant moving things that have piled up since then. I'm going to make another pass through my closet and start a box for donation.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
CH: My knee acts up when I try to do too much. For example, I did a lot of walking/moving around during the week so had issues then. Yesterday, again had issues because I was moving around, bending over, and such. It gets better if I warm it.

Took a nap this afternoon, which helped. I was really tired yesterday, particularly after this past week. Next week will be a short week at work due to Thanksgiving so I'm hoping to kick back and relax, sleep and crochet a bit.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
This is the final week for the mystery quilt. They released the instructions for arranging the blocks. This is what it will look like (not as badly pixelated). Good grief! Now I know why they had us cutting so many strips of different widths and lengths.

Rectangle Textile Purple Creative arts Art

It'll get done when it gets done. I'm non-compliant on one of my blocks so I can't enter the final contest, so no rush.

It got up to 46 today, and tomorrow is supposed to be 54! After a week in the teens-30's it's going to feel wonderful. I'm going to visit with Meeko in the morning. :)

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,565 ·
CH - I can’t wait to hear how your visit goes. It looks like the quilt is going to be as much of a pain to put together as it was to make the blocks, and lots of opportunities to pick up the wrong strip. It’s interesting, and there’s some clever and intricate piecing, but it seems to me that that much time and effort could have been better invested in a really classy, show-stopping more traditional quilt. I look forward to seeing it when you get around to finishing it. I’m never willing to do mystery projects or SALs unless I’m familiar with the designer and have confidence that I will like the end result.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I went through the big pile of pictures. Actually not that many of cousins and distant relatives.

Lots of pictures of me as a child. I do not want 500 pictures of myself as a child. I kept some, but got rid of most of them.

I have mentioned before that my family growing up was dysfunctional/toxic. So old photos have the power to bring back memories, but not good memories.

I think it was at least 20 years since I looked at them. I put the remaining photos in sealed envelopes. I do not expect to look at them ever again.

I have one adult child who will not be having any children. So not really any future generations to pass old pictures down to. I am okay with it, it just puts different perspectives on things.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Kathy: Glad you were able to go through the pictures and figure out what you were going to do with them. I had some pictures of me when I was younger and I'm pretty sure I got rid of them during the apartment purge earlier this year. I had no desire to keep them and no one to pass them on to. Thing is, a good number of them were from my parents' photo albums that we packed up and sent along when we were going through my parents' house to sell, a few years back. My sister who lived closest to where my father's assisted living facility went through them at some point and gave them to me as a "Christmas gift" one year when I came to visit my father.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,568 ·
My family didn’t really do pictures so I never had to deal with that. There were quite a few from my parents’ younger days, but they didn’t even remember who some of the people were. Of course they did take some, but not boxes and I have no idea what happened to them. That’s probably why the obsession now of some people to photograph every moment of every day seems so strange to me. Maybe it’s just that phones make it easy. Several years ago I did find an old Polaroid in some papers. It’s of my mother putting down food for my favorite ever cat. I should be embarrassed to confess I remember keeping it because of the cat. Lol. It’s still around here somewhere.

It’s still placemat city here today. Yesterday I got all the sandwiches put together for them - three sets of four and one of three because I miscut the fourth - and have one of them sewed and turned. I have another set I cut the fabric for, but I’ve about decided I don’t like the fabric for a placemat. Too busy. It will all probably become gift bags or pot holders. I still have the gnome fabric. Not sure what I’ll do with that.

For the big craft table at the Christmas feast I thinking of getting some cheap blank tote bags, the sort sold for crafts, and putting some of my smaller cross stitches on them. I don’t have a pile of photos - I have a pile of cross stitch. 🤣

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Good morning. Getting ready to take dh to the podiatrist. Usually I wait in the car because they’d prefer no visitors but this time I’m going in. When he had his physical Friday the nurse mentioned that the podiatrist notes mentioned decrease in sensation of his foot. With the diabetes this worries me. She may have said something to him about his but his short term memory is hit or miss. He insists she never even touched his foot. I asked if she stood in the doorway with the clipper on a long stick in order to cut his nails, Lolol. He said no but he’s sure she never touched any skin. So I need to go in and see what’s up. His doctor didn’t seem overly concerned etc but I’d just like to get a feel for it from the podiatrist and see if there are things I should be looking for. Sigh…poor guy.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That sounds like a good plan Hikr if he doesn't remember to be on the safe side. Hopefully all goes well with Ch and Meeko. thought needed teeth pulling first? Dh lol we have pics of cats lots of them. I know old pics go for auction vintage ones some buy just for the look outside the film industry.

good for you Kathy though hard for you. Everytime someone passes we are gifted back all the photos which a lot of them were from the walmart package so lots of the same ones.. even dh and his family the set where we have so many in diff sizes started throwing them away and he was what! said you have lots. same w others I sent from his mom ..said they were hers not his so not trying to erase his past.

CH that quilt is cute but yes a lot of work but now can I see what it was meant to be. I hope the placemats aren't too much of a headache DC... keep forgetting it is short week for people in the states.

I finished the blanket during the zoom chat yesterday so just a wash etc. have a half a skein left maybe a hat. made another mistake lol well proof that is handmade and who knows if won't end up at thrift store or in closet somewhere. Got thank you card in mail from someone who I sent hats and cowl too. very sweet and not expected. he said on zoom chat he always does that right away. ( I like a thanks but don't expect a card..a direct text or message is fine)

after a lazy sunday going to get finished on final year end project. ate too many leclerc caramel truffle cookies yesterday so paying for it today..need to be better cutting back on sugar lol suppose to rain and I hope so cus this ongoing allergy season is brutal. next in line crocheting is finish that pumpkin doily and start on the dragonfly blanket that is only 2 rows so far.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Uffdah, there went $1,100 poof just like that. $800 at Menards for 750 lbs deer corn, 50 lbs sunflower seeds, 4 big bags assorted peanuts for birds and squirrels, other stuff, $200 at Aldi, $100 at Super One. We were low on lots of food staples so we expected to spend a bunch on food. The only fun thing we got was the stand for the chop saw. I'm excited about that. I don't have to build one now, and it's portable and nicer than what I would have made, so we can use it in the basement shop or upstairs or outside because we will have a nice ramp. I hadn't even thought about buying one but the one in the ad was very appealing, so it was on the list. When we got there, they had an even nicer one $30 off (unadvertised) plus their 11% off everything sale on top of that. Nice price, and it will allow us to cut longer boards on it than the less expensive one, a big advantage. The chop saw will be my main saw in the basement shop, so the stand will get a lot of use. We will have so many other uses for it during the remodel, too. It will be especially handy for the almost 2,000 sf of flooring we'll eventually have to lay, and so many other projects.

Also bought a better angle grinder to cut up the bathtub, plus diamond blades. Hope that goes well.

Like always, we're glad that trip is done. It's always exhausting. Aldi was a madhouse, as expected. They weren't sold out of anything we wanted except peanuts, which was surprising. I even got stroopwafels, first time we've been lucky. Super One was quieter, and our list was shorter.

I hope the kitty meet-up went well. Awaiting news...

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Meeko and I had a nice visit. I got a text from the foster mom asking me to meet at her house, as Meeko hadn't eaten in the 3 days she was at the pet store, so they brought her home. She was in her own room at this lady's house. She didn't want anything to do with us at first, I tried to hold her but she definitely wanted down, but she wasn't hissing or clawing, just very nervous. So she went to the corner behind the cat tree. I gave her a few minutes and then sat down on the floor about arm's length away and petted her a little.
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Wood stain

I petted her, then took my hand away a few inches, and then she'd move toward me and I'd pet her again. And repeat. And pretty soon she was in my lap voluntarily, wriggling, purring, getting ear rubs, licking me and giving me nose kisses. I think we're going to be friends.
Cat Felidae Carnivore Wood Grey

She's been checked for diseases and given all her shots. There's a couple bad teeth coming out tomorrow, and they'll microchip her at the same time. Probably she'll have a followup visit next week and then I can adopt her. I'll be filling out the official adoption application tonight.

Then I got lunch, went to the organic store for eggs because they always seem to have them for 1.99, and the regular grocery for bacon on sale (they were out a few days ago) and more milk. Lots of people doing last minute shopping. Glad I don't have to go out again this week.

I was just sitting here trying to relax and finish my coffee, and the front door came off a hinge. DH was getting the mail and for some reason the door wouldn't close. We got the hinge screwed in, but it still wouldn't close, so I had to dig out a hand planer and sanding block from my dollhouse building supplies. Weird.

JA is having a big sale but I'm avoiding them this week. Can't stand the crowds and I know they only have like 3 employees left.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
SD, sounds like you got some tools that will be important and useful in the coming year.

Started a box for donations, will be going through the closet again. Found another top that fits, but could use an extension. Next time it is safe to go to near a store I'll get another piece of rib knit.

Dlr, you've reminded me I need to check on a pair of slacks and see if they can be modified for wear on Thursday. I know they are too long, but I may not bother if the waist no longer fits.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hi, Dhs foot appt went well. Came home afterwards and I fixed lunch. Ginger got sick twice which is really unusual for her. She is acting normally (begging for treats any time we pass the area where they are kept). I don’t handle clean up like that well so I’m drafting dh to scoop the litter box. I usually do it but after the Kitty clean up I did today I am done and he is on deck. I need to make a cover for an ice pack. I scrounged through the stash and I have fabric and Velcro. I need to pick up the ice pack tomorrow so once I get the measurements I’ll get that started. Meeting my best friend for breakfast tomorrow morning. She lives in Texas and is here for the holiday.

CH I’m so glad to hear all went well with Meeko’s visit! She warmed up to you pretty well from the sounds of it. I can’t wait till she moves in for good and meets the rest of the family. I’m avoid JA too. Lol. I know if I go in there I’ll come out with a pile of bags that I don’t need (even though I may want it).

SD expensive shopping trip but sounds like you’re well stocked now. And the animals will enjoy the food restocking too. Tools are always a help too.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
It's $30 in gas just to drive over there, so unless we need to spend a wad of money, it's not worth going. That's why the trip is always spendy. We've been only going 2-3 times a yr but that's going to change, I'm sure. Today was only a little more than normal because of the tools. A lot of it was supplies, like $27 for a 5 lb box of screws we usually keep in stash for general purposes and $34 for 4 gate hinges I need for the experimental dog door. That one hurt. Plus we got some snacks there, which is bad.

Glad Kitty seems like a winner, CH. I hope she gets along with your other cat. It will be a long wait till you can bring her home.

We were going to go shopping tomorrow. Good thing we went today. Now the forecast is for light snow and slick roads early tomorrow morning. It'll be nice to sit here at home instead knowing we're all done getting what we needed.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,578 ·
CH - I’m so glad that Meeko decided so quickly that she liked you. That’s a really good beginning.

SD - no matter what you paid for the tools it’s still cheaper than hiring someone else to do the work. This isn’t a little DIY project and anything you can get to make it easier for the long haul will be worth it.

I was moving along on the placemats at a good clip, then went out to the road to get an Amazon delivery, unpacked it, leaned back, and I opened my eyes it was time for supper. One of those ambush naps. Lol.

I spent money to get rid of stash. Trash bags would be cheaper. Why am I doing this? 😂 I ordered a group of 20 tote bags, a mixed color assortment, and more fusible web for the cross stitches. I didn’t find Christmas ones the right size for the canvas bags left over from another project, but I have some non Christmas ones I can use.

After the unplanned nap I’m good to go for hours tonight. If there are no crises, I’ll be able to get the placemats finished.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,579 ·
I’m definitely not going to get the placemats finished tonight. Why does everything take three times longer than I think it will? 😐 however by the time I finish all this project I’ll have learned a lot, so that’s something. I love the internet. I’ve never used chalk when sewing but wanted to mark the quilting lines that way. I didn’t know how to remove it though, so I asked Google. Google is magic. 🤣 Lines are gone. I won’t get as much of the Christmas fabric used as I hoped, but there’s always next year. I’ll probably be able to get a few gift bags made, and if they like them I can make more of those after Thanksgiving. It was of course the quilt that hogged all the time.

3561 - 3580 of 3731 Posts