Frugal Village Forums banner
3581 - 3600 of 3732 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
wow score spirit! the animals are going to miss you when you move. dh was looking at some tool and I said why not get it for xmas. not like it would be a surprise if I take you and say is this one etc lol Glad it was a good visit with the kitty Ch! good luck with the placemats!

have had a frustrating day w electronics and files that don't want to share without google getting upset. could have just run over the laptop to the person house at the end of it. so tv and candy cane ice cream lol

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
We're going to miss our animals, too, especially the little red squirrels and flying squirrels. And the deer have generational knowledge now that our house is a source of food, so it will be hard to leave them behind. There's wild land ½ block from the new house though, so we're hoping for red squirrels. We'll probably get deer sometimes too, but don't plan to feed them. That's a big expense every winter. I think our DNR might outlaw feeding them soon anyway because CWD is spreading in the deer population. It's not in our area yet but getting closer. 😢😢😢

I've always said tools are cheaper than contractors. We're trying to avoid buying single purpose tools we will have no use for after the remodel though, the carpet cutter being the exception. The chop saw table isn't that, so we had no trouble plunking down our money for it. Now I just have to figure out which 10 ft section of shop wall to give up to put it against. Nice problem to have.

I found 15" round pine with a nice rounded edge on sale, so bought 2 to make lazy susans in the pantry. We're trying to avoid buying stuff too far ahead because plans change and storage will be an issue and also then the money is gone, but I couldn't resist. I was going to make them from plywood but these are so much prettier. I think we need to put boxes in every room to organize all the stuff we already have or buy ahead, so we can keep track of it all. I've never done an entire whole house remodel before and it's a lot to keep control of. We have so many things to reuse already, and it's especially important to keep track of that stuff as it will save us money.

We looked at the shower stall we had selected online and both liked it. It's not time to make a final decision yet, but at least we know there's something we like.

Today will be a day for resting and putting away the groceries we were too tired to deal with yesterday. I had a tote ready and waiting for the supplies we bought yesterday to take to the new house, so that got sorted already. It's starting to look like presents piled around the Christmas tree in the LR, except the "tree" is a treadmll. 🙂🙂🙂

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,583 ·
I’ve set the agenda for the day. Considering when I went to bed I’m up too early, so there will definitely be a nap. Other than that, the priorities are (1) put the chicken in the freezer. I intended to cook it yesterday and it didn’t happen and won’t. (2) Go over the quilt. With this method the seams open to the front rather than being against the batting, so there are some stray threads and clippies escaping the edges of the cover strips. I need to find those and snip them off. (3) Finish the dang placemats. At least I’ve figured out the easiest way to do them by now. (4) Put the cross stitches on the canvas drawstring bags to get those out of the stash. (5) If there’s time, cut and make one more placemat set with the gnomes.

I don’t plan to spend much time at the kitchen tomorrow. I’ll go over for lunch and take all the stuff I have ready. That will give me another day. I’m thinking I’ll use it to crank out potholders. That will let me use up some of the smaller pieces of fabric and some of the insulbrite. I am totally ready to stop looking at Christmas fabric.

If I get half of this done, I’ll consider it a win. Lol.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Good luck with all the projects DC. Pace yourself.

I was so tired last night I slept like a log. And now I'm up early. I was frustrated last night trying to fill out the adoption form. It's a pdf, and I only have the pdf reader and don't feel like paying $$ to get the version where I can write on the form. So I spent 45 mins online at a "free" pdf website that was slow as molasses, finally got the 4 page form filled out, and then they sprung the fee for being able to save and download my "free" application form. Grrr!

Found this adorable Balsam Gnomes quilt on Pinterest last night. Wondering how it would look in scrap fabric as a kids quilt:

Rectangle Wood Textile Triangle Creative arts

I have some food to prep tomorrow, so I'll be triple checking my ingredients today. We've been invited to dinner on Thursday, will do our own small bird Friday, and then we have another Friendsgiving on Saturday, which I think is going to be apps and drinks.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't tell me I have to make a gnome quilt! rushes to Pinterest to look at gnome quilts I love gnomes! That is so cute. It would be an adorable kid's quilt.

Glad you finally got the form filled out for Kitty. Frustrating. A 4-page form? Really? Wow.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Dlr, looks like Calibrachoa, aka Million bells. Takes a hard freeze to kill it, but it is an annual. I love them, they bloom all year. If I can find them in small pots they aren't costly, but around here they tend to put them in big baskets or hanging pots and charge $$$. They will spread if they are happy. Comes in all colors, like petunias.

Gnomes are so trendy, I wonder if the fad will be over before I finish it, lol!

SD, yes, a 4 page form. They don't hand out animals to anyone who walks in off the street. Here's a sample of page one: (I left out some lines and spaces)

Is applicant 21 years old or older AND homeowner/leaseholder at above residence? YES NO
Is the property: OWNED RENTED Is the property: RURAL/COUNTRY WITHIN CITY LIMITS
How long have you lived at above residence?
Have you ever adopted or applied to adopt from the shelter or another rescue group before? YES NO
Have you ever relinquished an animal (canine or feline) to an animal shelter or individual? YES NO
Have you or has anyone in your family ever been convicted of animal abuse, neglect, or cruelty? YES NO
What pets have you owned in the past that you no longer own AND what happened to them?
(include name, sex, breed, length of ownership, and age at time of death or at time animal was no longer owned)
Were they spayed/neutered? YES NO
Were the dogs kept on year round heartworm prevention? N/A YES NO
What pets do you own now? (Include name, age, sex, and breed)
Are they spayed/neutered? YES NO
When was the last time your animal(s) were vaccinated?
Are the dogs kept current on year round heartworm prevention? N/A YES NO
Are your current animals primarily inside or outside? INSIDE OUTSIDE BOTH
Regardless of ownership, are there any animals other than those listed above living in the home at this time? YES NO
What is the name and phone number of your vet? May we contact the above veterinarian? YES NO
Whose name will the ownership records be under at the above veterinarian?
Is this the vet you plan to use for the adopted animals care? YES NO
Will you take this animal to the vet within 10 days of adoption for a wellness exam and to establish a record? YES NO
Do you understand the time commitment required to own an animal? YES NO
Are you willing to give the animal at least 6 months to adjust to you, your family, and the new home? YES NO

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Thanks CH, that plant ID looks right.
The adoption application also looks a lot like the ones we had to fill out. They want to know who will take care of the pet while you vacation and lots of detailed planning stuff. People who never owned a dog or cat before just have no idea of what is involved. Actually one advantage of being in the dog club - is lots of people who can answer questions about problems.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
We've never worked with a shelter that did hand out animals to anyone off the street, but I've never seen a 4 page form. Maybe they have a lot of extra lines for writing your info.

Husby's happy. He got a 5% off coupon for the carpet cutter in his email, which will save $10. I still can't believe how excited he is about cutting up all that carpet. 😂😂😂

Been gathering things slowly to move right away to the house and trying not to get too excited and jinx something.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
SD, it sounds like using the new carpet cutter will make the job a breeze. I can understand why Husby is excited about a new toy.

Page 2 of the form has questions about where the cat will be allowed during the day, at night, who will take care of it, whether or not you travel, how many household members you have, names and ages, kids (I was able to skip that part), how long you plan to keep the pet, if you will keep it if you move, if anyone is allergic, expected expenses and annual vet visits, litter box training and cleaning, and declawing (NO). Page 3 is largely personal questions like "What is it about this particular animal that interests you?" and "What concerns do you have about adopting a new kitten/cat?" (and a lot of space to write) and the last page has the "How did you hear about" and the contractual part "If I can no longer keep the animal..." and I have to provide info for a background check (drivers license, landlord, vet, etc)

It's pretty much what I remember filling out 20 years ago when I adopted a cat from the shelter when I moved here. Definitely a lot more work than previous cats, one of which wandered in through a hole in the roof, and the other I found at the local vet's office, and they just said "you can have her".

Anyway, I have word that Meeko's tooth extraction went well and she is recovering.

I haven't completely screwed around today, dishes got washed and the sink scrubbed. Some of the fridge got cleaned out. Will have to make more space before tomorrow evening. DH and I took a walk, it briefly hit 60 today. Gas company announced they are raising rates ~15% at the end of the month. Whee.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Glad we didn't have to go through all that with our pets. Some of their questions seem very intrusive, and some are unanswerable because no one can predict the future. I think for our last 2 dogs, the application was less than 2 pages for each. They seemed to cover all the pertinent questions.

Taking out the carpet will be brutal, even with the cutter. And cutting it up is only ¼ of the job because then it has to be pulled up by brute force. Then the glue has to be scraped off the floor, too. The stuff we're going to use claims to be safe and odor-free, so I hope I can work with it. I have bad reactions to some of that stuff. I think we might have to drive the scraped up glue to the hazardous waste facility 60 miles from here, too. Nothing is ever simple up here in the hinterland. Luckily, we would drive right past Menards on the way to the hazardous waste place, so at least could combine trips to save on gas.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,593 ·
Well, today has been a dead loss. I slept most of it. So much for the agenda. Since I’ve just been sitting, I didn’t realize how congested I was. When I went to get the mail, by the time I walked from the living room to the car I was gasping, with lots of coughing when I got back. I’ll see what I can get done this evening. I’ll be happy if I can get the placemats done and check over the quilt. The canvas bags can wait for the Christmas craft table since I don’t have seasonal cross stitches for them anyway. I decided to hand sew the turning openings on the placemats after all. After that the quilting will go quickly.

I’m getting antsy to cross stitch again. I’ll have more time for the next group and no quilt to deal with, so I may sew during the day and start cross stitching again thin the evenings. I’ve really kept nose to the grindstone on this Christmas stuff.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
DC, hope it's just a case of too much cold air and you are feeling better tomorrow. Get some rest tonight. I'm sure the placemats will be beautiful.

Got a text from Meeko's foster mom, she is home from the vet and doing well.
Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

Lots to do tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
hope you feel better DC! so cute ! looks like cats we had decades ago... yes I can see them asking all the questions. depends where you get the animals from...spca doesn't ask as many questions but hey last official one we bought at the farm and well you know the last one adopted us.

that gnome quilt is so cute. ah new toys ! and a reason to use them lol just ended up going over to the persons place and bringing all the laptops paperwork etc cus everything was acting up. couple more days all over for the year!

now to limit black friday shopping lol think in honour of your thanksgiving will take out the smoked turkey for dinners.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Glad Meeko is on the mend. It's always a relief when they come through a surgery okay.

I wish the US would move Thanksgiving to about the same time as Canada's, but I'm sure it wil never happen. It's so much better to have it in November, when the chances are better of having one or more major airports shut down or icy roads clogged with millions of extra people traveling in dangerous conditions. It's not like horse and buggy days when no one traveled very far or very fast.

We're hoping for tool sales on Black Friday. We shouldn't need many more tools, but there are a few. We're not going out shopping, but will check onlne sites.

It's funny how we're all complaining about inflation around the world, but the economy still keeps roaring along. I know it's impacting some people more than others, as always, but overall it doesn't seem to matter much. It will be interesting to see this Thanksgiving's stats on how many people traveled, both by car and plane, and then see later how the retail sector does for the Christmas season.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,598 ·
Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes. I’m somewhat better this morning I think. I’ll see how the day goes. I’m staying home. I’m sure all the cooks will send me lunch and I can send all the stuff over with whoever brings it. I never contribute anything to the cooking except unnecessary moral support. There are three women and an almost teenager who love cooking and preparing big fancy feasts and holiday decorating, so I just stay out of their way and let them get on with it. 🤣

I finished all the hand sewing last night and went over the quilt. Next time I’ll trim the seams closer or make the strips a little wider. All I have left to do is sew the quilting lines on the remaining placemats which won’t take long at all. Then - glory be! - I can put all the Christmas fabric away.

The gnome quilt is really cute. I’m wanting to do a gnome cross stitch. I’ve been looking at patterns and kits. I don’t need any for sure, but I’m convincing myself I need a reward of a bright shiny new something for all this sewing. I’m pretty easy to convince.

That’s a great picture of Meeko. She’s a beautiful cat.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
I've been looking for a gnome cross stitch kit for a long time but haven't found anything I like. I did do a diamond paint gnome last winter though.

Textile Rectangle Creative arts Art Wood

I finally finished the black on the Maple Lake cross stitch. I was tired of it. Now I'm doing a dark green, not much different. 🙄🙄🙄 I hate that I have 3 or 4 UFOs started but having a mindless stamped cross stitch is saving my sanity right now.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I'm deleting the BF ads as fast as they hit my mailbox and fighting with my hoarder urges. So much beautiful fabric, great sale prices, no place to store it!

Waiting on a call back from our vet office. Need to discuss Little Black Kitty's vaccinations. She hasn't had any recently and the Humane Society will want to know why. It's because of her allergy, of course, but I need details to throw at the HS. I hope this doesn't botch our plans with Meeko.

Today is warm and sunny and I had plans to do more cleaning around the house, including my car and some outdoor things, before it gets cold and rainy tomorrow. Probably won't get any sewing done. I may get out my cardinal cross stitch and see if I can figure out where I left off. That would be good for sitting next to the phone.

Couldn't find the slacks I was going to try. I think I got rid of them in last year's closet clean out. If they didn't fit then, they sure won't fit now.

DC, you're on the home stretch!

Reactions: ressa and marthamfi
3581 - 3600 of 3732 Posts