Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 120 of 2464 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
Way to be creative, Mme! Sounds like something I would do. Sometimes function is more important than form.

Toy Shoppe almost has a door! It seems like I've been working on this project forever, probably because it's so similar to Coffee Shoppe, which vexxed me for most of the last yr. However, I only started it 1/1. Toy Shoppe wasn't my first choice for a project, but since I got Coffee Shoppe done and was on a roll, it seemed like a good idea to get Toy Shoppe done before next Christmas, too. Otherwise I would have just put it off. It's been fairly easy overall, unlike Coffee Shoppe.
Window Plant Rectangle Creative arts Art

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have decided to switch the order of crafting things. With the colder than normal weather and snow on the ground, I feel like working on a warm thing. It is a nice temperature in side and since I am teleworking, I have only gone outside to take out the trash. So it is not as though I have been cold.

Still, I am thinking of changing how I work on crafts going forward. It cold weather, I will work on large bits that are warm. Crochet and sewing/quilting. In warm weather, I will work on embroidery and smaller bits.

This is the latest thing I have prepped, but not started sewing on yet. The fleecy fabric will be lined with the pale rose fabric. Then crochet will be added to it. It will be a shawl like thing.
Textile Sleeve Embellishment Wood Beige

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Kathy - I've noticed that I tend to not crochet as much in warmer weather and more in the colder weather, even if I'm just staying inside. Since the only craft I do is crocheting, I find I don't do much in the summer other than mostly just veg.

Finished the aquamarine skein yesterday and started the white skein I balled up. I think I won't need all the skeins I pulled out for this WIP. After I finish this afgan, I'll go back to working on the purple lapgans I've already started. Well, one is started but the skeins are all in one large bag. I'll put that bag out and finish those off to donate.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I got about a third of the fox kit done yesterday. I like the wool/ acrylic thread. After the struggle with the bug sampler it was lovely to have something that worked first time around - lol.

Not much going on today. I took a bag of trash out and feel like I’ve done a day’s work 🙄. If I don’t do some cooking though I’m going to have to give up eating. But for now, on to the next of three foxes.

SD - the toy shoppe is really moving along. It looks great.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
The body of the tote bag is done, it is quite large. I'll figure out how to make dividers in the lining or some individual smaller bags to fit inside the big tote to separate things out. I hate how you lose things inside a large tote. I still have peach color fabric left to play with. I also like having a lanyard attached to the inside of the tote that keys can be clipped to so they are easy to fish out. Good use for yarn scraps - braid or crochet a length of cord. Need to buy some lanyard hooks, pretty cheap at Michael's.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Love all the cross stitching! Yes it is easier to do light projects in warm weather. Kathy you have to remember you have lots of work experience so can do things faster too. plus if you had that much work then if it got busier you would be overloaded. Mme homebody you are being so creative! my mom made a quilt like that decades ago from fabric she got and put a old sleeping bag etc in it still being used. was fabric she got for the mandatory gr 8 sewing class I had to do. very sturdy stuff lol dd uses it now.

95% finished the granny stitch hat from red heart go around yarn.. though made for it..turns out that it doesn't use up the whole thing 236 yards so maybe 2 hats out of it. zoom chats are great for doing it. not in the mood to do much today with the boys at work and school lol watching tv...grey with rain so my excuse too. edited my grocery delivery order to include dry cat food. still working though all the taped hallmark xmas movies. ds bought up the yarn box (doesn't know how to turn a bowl yet but put the scroll work in it) very nice doesn't smell of shellac anymore so filled it with the yarn for machine knitter. makes it look a little neater. house is cluttered but getting there. haven't switched out xmas wreaths etc yet.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Some tiny weavette squares for mending day. Weavette is the name of the mini loom they are made on. These are from the same skein, a gray and pink yarn. There is also some dark pink and red in the skein, but none of it was in the little patches.

I just found out today that a coworker died recently. No details given. I wasn't close to her, but I still feel a bit out of sorts. And, since this is the government, I will have to do paperwork for it. But it is important because it means her family will get a pay out for her last pay period plus her unused leave.

Product Cap Textile Creative arts Pink

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
that is sad kathy. esp when unexpected. cute little things. I should get rid of my circle loom things kids don't use them and they bug my wrists. have similar looms from a vintage kit too.. lol too much craft stuff. I forgot to say I got the glue pens alnees tacky glue ones and ones that looks like bic pens.. plus the pen style glue gun. didn't pay attention doesn't come w sticks so have to get them. or see if we have them. hopefully will help a lot cus glue, tape, hot glue just not my friend.

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
More stitching on Toy Shoppe, of course. I'm looking forward to getting it done, which I hope will be within 2 wks. Today I got a start on the second door and did some more on the bike and walls. I'm going to focus on finishing up the lower left corner since that seems like the trickiest area left. It's always good to get the hard parts done and over.
Plant Window Rectangle Textile Wood

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Made some progress today. Would have finished but I bought the wrong hardware. I need "swivel hooks with D rings", and what I bought was only "swivel hooks". And the hooks are black satin finish so I can't grab any old D rings out of the garage. I guess a trip to HL is in my future.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Got a little bit done on the grab-bag afgan last night. Right now I'm glad it's long enough to cover my legs as it's cold outside. It barely hit 30*F yesterday and dropped to the mid-teens overnight. Today, it's not supposed to get much warmer - we'll be lucky to hit mid-20*s, according to the forecast. And that's not counting the wind chill factor. But today's supposed to be the coldest day of the week. At least until Saturday. Thankfully I don't have to be anywhere on Saturday and can stay inside.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It is interesting reading about using up every bit of fabric. I think that is the ideal for me but it is hard to do.

I will try to post more pictures this year including more works in progress.

First off is the Monday mending. These are the little woven squares sewn on a pair of socks. As you can see, I am following the visible mending philosophy. Also in the picture is the weevette with yarn needle.

My cat approves of my latest work in progress. She was resting her head on it sleepily, but got wary when I approached to take a picture.

Brown Black Textile Sleeve Creative arts

Cat Window Felidae Carnivore Ear

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Here it dropped below freezing by a few degrees last night too, but should get up to around 60. We had heavy frost on the ground. That’s not as pretty as snow, but a heck of a lot less complicated to live with. Lol

I finished the second fox, have one to go. I’ll be able to finish it today. The funny little cats are up next. I’ve decided to do them individually. That way if I decide not to do them all at once I won’t have another ufo hanging around, and I can use up smaller pieces of leftover fabric, a win for the stash. I’m enjoying these quick little ones after a couple of years of doing mostly the big unending ones. Some of those were culled in the last reality check.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Getting my shingles vax this morning, probably only knitting later.
There are walking paths all over my town including behind my house. There is a tenor who likes to practice singing LOUDLY as he walks along the path. Today is the 2nd day in a row. His wife is probably glad he practices outside elsewhere. Last week one afternoon a woman was singing modern (rock?) gospel loudly as she walked along the sidewalk in front of the house. Really, I understand since you have to practice to be good.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Kathy, I like your little weavette loom. Where did you get it? I picked up a darning loom but haven't learned to use it yet. (I also have a couple of darning 'eggs' that go inside socks while darning.)I'm thinking of bringing it to the living history farm I got to regularly to learn how to darn my socks. Several of the women who work or volunteer there do crafty things, such as spinning, when things are quiet.

dlr - there was a saxaphone player who used to play out on his balcony when he was living in my apartment complex. Didn't see much of him but he was good. So it was really nice to catch him playing.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
finished the granny hat. organized some stuff. .got the anniversary yarn on the top of a pile of yarn in bags in bedroom lol from the dining room chair. I broke my barbie rule already..ordered some lingerie sets cheap from china..panties, bras and slip. some of mine don't have panties. think a set of six or nine for $10 us no shipping fee. funny how the same ones listed a few times some w shipping some more $$.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Hope everyone is having a good day. Our furnace quit this morning. DH confirmed it wasn't the thermostat or the breaker and I called a service tech. Then left DH home to deal with it. Fortunately it is very warm today (58F) so we aren't going to freeze.

HL and Michael's did not have the hooks with D rings, but JA did. I had to buy a $39 pack of 12 to get them. Now I have a lifetime supply. The remnants bins had very little and nothing I could use. Christmas clearance still on shelves and a little Spring decor out, lots of empty spaces on the shelves.

Michael's STILL has halloween on the shelves, granted it's on clearance, they must really be hurting for deliveries. I bought some christmas stuff at 70% off, tiny bells, new light strands, gift bags, etc. Small and useful.

Got home and DH says the furnace is working but now it won't shut off and it was 80F in the house. So called the service company again. They were able to help us fix it over the phone. Sitting here now with windows open and enjoying the nice day.

Dlr, hope the vax doesn't hit you too hard.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I got my mini loom years ago by a place that is no longer in business. I have seen some tiny looms for sale on line, but none as small as mine. I think mine is only about two inches.

Lots of place try to trick you with pricey shipping. They will lure you in with a low price, but tack a big shipping fee on to it. This is because many people choose the sort by price option.

I finished a dishcloth today. Well technically I finished it at the end of December, but didn't weave in the ends till today. Is a crochet or knit project finished when you stop stitching or when you weave in the ends? For dishcloths I am going to be going for using up the whole ball. The variegated color is the end of a ball.

I also did a little more sewing on my fabric plus crochet project. I hope to finish the sewing part this week.
Rectangle Textile Creative arts Art Dishcloth

101 - 120 of 2464 Posts