Frugal Village Forums banner
121 - 140 of 2464 Posts

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Great progress on Toy Shoppe. It does look easier than Coffee Shoppe.

I just finished the foxes. I’ll get a picture tomorrow in better light.

I’ve downloaded a free trial of the cross stitch app to my phone that many in the stitching groups like for Apple. Not all patterns work with Pattern Keeper on my tablet so I’m going to give this a try for the ones that won’t, like the cats. At first glance it looks more complicated, but it’s popular enough that it must be ok. I’m going to mess around with that the rest of tonight. There are YouTube videos too so I may watch some of those. I would just print the patterns out, but I don’t have a way to do that here and I’m not going to take them anywhere now in the plague years.

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
Did you know you can print right from your phone with a wireless printer? At least I can with my Samsung Android. It comes in handy for many things.

My meatloaf pan came and I love it. Heavy aluminum, no nonstick coating to poison us, come off, or get scratched, and made in the USA. It also stacks with the bread pans, so doesn't take any cabinet space. Shoulda bought it years ago. If it doesn't take any space, does that mean it's not new clutter?

I decided on the first thing I'm going to stitch for Maggie. It's a tall pin cushion I already started. Now I'm in a hurry to get Toy Shoppe done, even though Toy Shoppe is still enjoyable.

Some nutjob deliberately ran into a musher's team with a snowmobile over the weeken, injuring 2 dogs, 1 of them badly, and only missed the musher because he laid his sled down. It's a hit and run without much clues to find the creep. Another musher had the same experience with the snowmobile right after, except he came close to sideswiping her without actually hitting her or her team. Some days I really, really hate people, and today has been one of those days. 🤬🤬🤬😢😢😢

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
SD - for the few pages a year I would want to print, I could definitely not justify buying a printer.

I played around with the app last night and it’s going to be ok. Setting up a pattern takes more steps, but that may be because it can handle patterns that aren’t compatible with Pattern Keeper, like patterns in color. It also shows backstitching that PK doesn’t. I think PK was really designed for the big full coverage patterns. I will probably purchase it. I haven’t seen the exact price yet, but I think it’s around $10.

I’ll probably go on and do one of the little cats - my favorite is the UFO one - but I’m really motivated to work on the kit stash. They take up a lot more space than patterns. At the same time I had to talk myself down off the ledge about the Long Dog Samplers after I saw one that was done on dark gray with rainbow variegated thread and the little animals and details done in white. It was stunning. Admittedly it used silk thread that is way out of my price comfort zone and mine would have to make do with humble cotton floss, but still …. I confess to looking at them again and came to a compromise with myself. I planned to keep working on the Santa through the year for the big project, but just can’t work up any enthusiasm for doing it so out of season. I always earmark a bit of my tax refund for fun, and this year it can be for this.

As promised, here are the finishes. The early bird is on a sunny yellow but I was unable to make the camera see it that way.
Plant Creative arts Insect Linens Pattern
Font Rectangle Handwriting Parallel Magenta

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
The morning project is cute, but the foxes are gorgeous! Love the colors.

We got our N95s so now I need new duckbill cloth masks to go over them. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find a pattern. OTOH, I should be able to use the disposable mask for a pattern. How hard can it be?

For now, time to cross stitch. What housework?

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
My last cross stitch order from last year arrived today. Finally. Confusingly marked “Delivered, left with individual at the address.” Nope. Carrier obviously clicked the wrong box there and, as I expected, it was sitting cozily in the mailbox. I’m almost as happy to finally be able to get the confirmation and tracking notice out of my email. It came from Kaliningrad that I took a minute to look up. It’s between Poland and Lithuania on the Baltic, and that’s your geography lesson for the day. Google also informed me was 10:30 pm there, 30 degrees, with a 12 mph wind, so now you know. I hope I wasn’t the only one to never have heard of it. However it used to be the German Konigsburg that I have of via history, so I’m claiming partial credit for that.

Soberer thoughts. I can’t have the sampler until I finish the flower a day WIP and I have a long way to go on that. Patterns are an addiction.

I’ve decided I will do the cat next though I’m itching to get to the kits, if only to give the app an actual trial. As for the next kit - I have a set of four tiny landscapes. They were some I used to fill in to get free shipping. If I do those I will have four very little kits done all in one go. Lol. But however small they still count and leave the stash.

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
I have never heard of Kaliningrad either. Sounds like the weather was warmer there than here today.

Still plugging away at Toy Shoppe. It's slowing down because most of the main components are all done. Now I'm just doing little bits here and there, which doesn't look like progress. I have the sign above the shop window left, then just the last bit of wall above that which isn't a a tall space, just wide. Then backspace (fun! 🙂) and French knots. I might get it all done this week, but not counting on it. I'm completely obsessed with Maggie, but interest will most likely wane once I can work on it. Stuff is always more fun till I do it.

Minnesota now has 100,000+ people who are classified as covid long-haulers. I don't know why people don't understand this disease is not like a cold or flu you get over and then it's done and forgotten. For lots of people, covid might become a life altering, lifelong disability. It's crazy how so many just act like covid is over. I don't understand it.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Well, I caved a little. Not to the sampler - I’m standing strong there - but to a medium piece of fabric. I’m doing the cats on 14, that I seldom use, so there were some surprises going through the stash. A too small remnant showed up that I had forgotten. White with a somewhat regular sprinkling of pastel confetti dots. I had used it with a large toucan pattern. It would be perfect for the cats because it could actually look like wallpaper around the window frames and save me a couple of thousand stitches. I decided that was worth it so I ordered a cut. I shouldn’t have because the silly cat pictures are hardly a serious project, but it’s done and I don’t regret it. It will be here next week. In the meanwhile I’ve started one of the little landscapes. The fabric in the kits is poor quality so I pulled a piece of my own white from the stash. They’re about 2.75” square on 14. 39x40 stitches. Lol

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
The mini landscape sounds cute, DC. I think I am done with the cardinal for the time being. I've completely lost interest, time to put it away until next fall.

The weather's been fairly warm and DH and I got in a walk today. They're still talking about snow on the weekend, so I'm glad we got out to enjoy it.

Have to go out Saturday regardless, a friend's husband passed and the memorial is this week. I'll be purging my closet of some things that don't fit while looking for something suitable to wear.

Monday is the quilt bee. I would like to do another quick 2 color top before then. Have the fabric, just need to iron and cut it.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Years from now people will ask me how I got through the Covid times. And I will say embroidery, books, board games, jigsaw puzzles, sewing, crochet. The news acts like we should all be miserable. But truthfully, I am doing pretty good.

This afternoon I think I have an online presentation that will be a stitch and listen time. I think I may finish the sewing part of my sewing and crochet project.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I just got word that the job announcement is supposed to post in the next couple days. This is the promotion my supervisor set up for me. Except she is not allowed to just promote me, it has to be done as a competitive process.

The whole thing is pretty stressful. With just over 5 years left til retirement, I thought the whole job applications process was behind me. I suppose most people would jump for joy. But I feel content with the pay I have now.

So few people are content with the amount of money they have. So when someone is they come off as a bit weird.

This will whole process will cut into my craft time pout. Well I will probably slack off on the training stuff I do for work for a tiny bit to make up for it. I feel like on days you work on job applications you should not have to do anything else.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
K - job applications are a total pain. It definitely sounds like a day’s work to me, especially if it’s at your supervisor’s direction.

My crafting time is going be cut down some today too because I absolutely must catch up on some housework. I’ve been so engrossed in the cross stitch I’ve just been pretending I don’t see it. That only works until every table in the house becomes virtually unusable and only three salad forks remain. I’ll still have my usual time tonight though.

Tomorrow is blackwork day, but unfortunately won’t be the housework free day I planned. I have to go to town and pick up a grocery order. I wanted to go today, but by early afternoon yesterday when I was doing it, every slot today until mid afternoon was filled except for 7 am, so I pushed it off to mid morning tomorrow. If it’s that busy it’s going to take a while. I put in a large order, hoping I’ll get a fair cross section of it, since the food news is all about limited supplies and empty shelves again.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Kathy - I'm pretty sure HR is legally required to go through the recruitment process for any position, even if they do have someone already in mind for the job. (I think it's called a 'preferred candidate' or some such.) I had to go through the same thing the two times I went from temp to perm.

I'm about halfway through the white skein on my grab-bag afgan. Hopefully, I can use a couple of blue variegated skeins for this WIP. I'm about 75% done and the white skein I'm currently working with is larger than most of what I've used so far. I think it was a partial 1lb skein.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
So it turns out they made multiple mistakes in the job posting. They are taking it down and plan to put it up again tomorrow.

I feel mental exhausted and I didn't do anything but look it over. I think after the process I will reward myself with taking a few hours of leave. Or maybe a day of leave.

I spaced out on the online seminar I was signed up to take. Not a big deal. I can sign up to watch the recording later.

I should finish the hem of my project today or tomorrow. Having it on my lap is really warm. I might be making a wearable to warm to wear outside. Well I could still wear it outside.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Frugal Village is weird today. Every time now I click like, it comes up as a like for both me and Maggie Tru. Sorry, Maggie, I’m not trying to take over your autonomy 😂. I hope you do like the posts though, so I won’t be lying too!

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
I'm in the really boring part of Toy Shoppe now, so it seems to be going slow although it probably isn't. A lot of it is pale blue, hard to see against white. And a bunch more of it is light blue, not much better. And the book I'm listening to has a stupid plot. But I don't think I have much left till I get to the last part of the wall, which has 3 colors with nice clear contrast, much easier and more fun. Then it'll be mopping up all the stitches I missed, and then I can blow through the white without having to count it. I'm very ready to be done.

We're starting to research suburban Duluth now, for a potential move. Housing is terrible in the Duluth area and has been for decades, so it's kind of a long shot. There just aren't enough houses there. We subscribed to the Duluth paper this morning, so that will no doubt teach us a few new things. We don't feel like we can move till Mom no longer can stay in her townhouse, so we don't have any way to plan our own move or when it might happen, if it ever does. We'd still like to stay here in town, too, and that we could do without Mom having to move. I hate being unsettled and unable to plan.

We're trying, again this yr, to figure out what to do about camping reservations. The idea of public restrooms is not appealing if covid cases don't improve, although I did finish the indoor shower for our camper and could finish the outdoor shower, so that helps. Can't shower with a mask on. But going to a campground just to sit around isn't very interesting. We travel more than camp, so we're used to moving camp frequently and visiting lots of attractions which are often crowded. That kind of trip isn't an option now. I can't think of anything worse than being sick hundreds of miles from home with 2 dogs to care for. We don't feel like we dare to go very far. If we have to just sit around, we might as well do that at home. Maybe we can do some short trips to visit some state parks we haven't been to yet, or go back to the International Peace Garden in North Dakota/Manitoba. Or the UP in Michigan. Or the Door again. I JUST WANNA GO SOMEWHERE! 🤬🤬🤬🤬💔

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I just added a bunch of novels about Scotland on my library book list. I can probably get some of the others free elsewhere. Figured I might as well have a theme and enjoy it. Both my dogs are Shelties (Shetland Sheepdogs) so I think it will be fun & entertaining. Can maybe add movies set in Scotland (James Bond Skyfall is one to watch again). A couple weeks ago hubby informed me he has a bunch of Audible credits (I did not know he had a subscription) and invited me to use them.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Today went pretty well. I picked up the cardinal with the intention of doing one last strand of stitching before putting it to bed for the year, and.... decided to vacuum instead. Yeah, lol! So the hallway and cat scratching posts are nice and clean.

I have to hand sew a giant snap onto the purse and then it will be done. Meanwhile I cut strips and sewed them for another donation quilt. Tomorrow I can iron and cut into squares.

Still need to go through the closet, another project for tomorrow. It will be getting cold and will be a good day for indoor projects. Not sure how much snow we are getting, they keep revising it downward due to warmer air, but it looks like it is going to hit the eastern states pretty hard Sunday night or Monday.

121 - 140 of 2464 Posts