Frugal Village Forums banner
141 - 160 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Oh. It only liked it for me. Did Maggie just miraculously hit like at the same instant I did three or four times? Was her like just not showing up until I liked the post too? Who knows. I’m glad I’m not voting for two people. You can be arrested for that lol.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
lol yes maggie has been more active on the site. that sucks Kathy yes you deserve some pto! haven't done much except my body shop stuff came and the mary maxim order so new yarn ! plus some mechanical wood models got on sale for future gifts plus a jigsaw puzzle for neighbour.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Martha-- you just gave me flashbacks!!! I used to LOVE looking through the Mary Maxim catalogs when I was a kid!!! In reality, I never actually bought anything from them-- the shipping made it cheaper to just buy locally... and then of course the reality that I never really finish that sort of thing!!!

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I am starting on the first round of crochet for my project. One of the ideas of freeform crochet is to make it deliberately irregular. So I am starting out with adding little lumps to the first row.
Wool Ingredient Woolen Fur Linens

In other news, I am attempting a use it up philosophy with the crochet dishcloths I do off and on. I find I like the look of using more than one yarn in a dishcloth, so I am adding different colors before one ball is finished.

Yesterday I grabbed what looked like a small bit of variegated yarn. After stitching a bit, I realize it was actually leftovers of three different balls tied together.

·
Super Moderator
20,322 Posts
Love that scene, D. The colors are so summery and soft.

Toy Shoppe just gave me the best surprise. I got ready to start the white, and it's all half cross! It's going fast. This WIP has been so much more fun than Coffee Shoppe. I'm going to finish the strand of white in the needle, pull out the gridding for reuse, and call it a night. That Lily's Garden game is not going to play itself!
Plant Window Wheel Creative arts Art

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
That's adorable DC!

I got the strips ironed and cut today and even took the time to square them up a bit. Almost got to the snap closure on the purse, got distracted and didn't finish it.

Went through the closet and various drawers and pulled out a pile of clothes that, sadly, will never fit me again. It's mostly the nicer clothing I kept last time, thinking I might lose weight. Nope. Found my Reality Check and going to take it and buy new clothes next year. The good slacks that were too loose last time I wore them are too small now, so I don't know what I'm wearing tomorrow. Something clean at least.

On the positive side my blood tests came back and the doctor says my covid antibody level is very high, which is a good thing, and a great relief to me.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
SD - nice work on Husby's WIP.

Cold out today. Temps dropped into the teens last night and will likely drop down to the single digits tonight or at least close to it. Today's highs are in the very low 20*s. I had planned on spending all day just crocheting but my desk lamp in my room died this morning. Not to surprising since it was ~30 years old. So I had to go out and buy a new one.

Got one of my Dad's afgans. It's one that we've had for years, long before I started crocheting. It's a lot smaller than I remember. I can use it to keep my legs warm in the evenings.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have started the second round of crochet on my project. I am adding more curves and adding more depth to the ones I have. Round three will be a different thread for contrast.

Fawn Dog breed Companion dog Wool Woolen

Ingredient Fur Woolen Creative arts Art

I also did a bit more on the really scrappy dishcloth. I will post pictures of the dishcloth when I finish it.

The weather for tomorrow was hovering between snow and rain. Currently it looks like it will be a little snow followed by a lot of rain. It is predicted to be just above freezing.

·
Super Moderator
20,322 Posts
Ren, Husby says thank you.

A patch job that poorly done wouldn't last long, but it's a cute idea.

Finally, I have all the cross stitching done for Toy Shoppe and a little start on the backstitching. I hope to finish this whole project tomorrow, but will have to see what develops. I didn't really want to do this project now, but since it's almost done, I'm glad I made myself do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For anybody with stash they can't face completing, our NextDoor community has people cleaning out for the New Year. One lady posted what she described as "a hideous acrylic black-green yarn for afghans" and some random crochet hooks of varying sizes for the first person who would drag it all away, with a note that the taker must take everything because the poster never wants to see that big bag of yarn again. Seconds later another lady posted that she couldn't afford her hobby anymore and she loves the color green, can she please have it, she can be there right after work."

So you never know if that project you wonder whether someone slipped into your closet as a joke will be someone else's dream project to keep them going until spring. It was a good reminder for me since I have a purse frame and fabric that has been lurking around. It's pretty but I either use Georgian pockets or carry a backpack - I haven't carried a purse except to church in, oh, 30 years. I'll put the purse kit up and hopefully someone will really want it and give it a good home. I feel like I'm giving away homely puppies :) But hey, if someone can use it... Better their useful project than biodegrading in my closet like I'm running a fabric landfill, right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
@ KathyB: My cat is obsessed with the fluffy yarn in your project. I think he's either considering moving to your house, or he's hinting I should be finishing the quilt he wants to lay down on without all those pesky needles and pins :D

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
The second tiny landscape is going faster than the first. There has been a fair bit of half cross in the ground and almost all of the sky will be. The fabric for the cats hasn’t shipped yet, so I’ll be able to get all three done before it comes. I may move on and save the fourth one that I’m doing separately for later. I think the next kit I want to start is one of the 5x5” Mill Hill kits by Laurel Burch. This one is horses.

SD - I like the wildlife pattern.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
I sewed a single snap on today. Half a snap really. Used some fabric glue to position the other half and will sew it tomorrow. Expecting Sunday to be a little more productive.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Mme we can all relate. I got lots of materials from people because I let it be known I was actually using things up. Some ugly yarn became crochet cat beds at least. Much of the charity yarn is really old (as in company out of business at this point) but I get the satisfaction of turning it into hats or scarves for someone.
Since I just clumsily dumped all my knitting needles on the floor, I found a tutorial (Erica Arndt) to sew a case. Good use for leftover peach fabric and misc. The peach/rabbit tote may end up being dedicated to knitting.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I almost finished the cross stitch last night. It won’t take long to finish and then I’ll move on the next. The whole set of four is designed with the same landscape but changing perspective. tiny far away houses, houses nearer but still distant, house up close, and the one I finished first. From the trees, I think the large house is intended to be the third, with a distant tree becoming the one in the foreground of the one I finished. But the large house just looked like too big a jump, so I decided not to put it in the series, but let it stand on its own.

Instead of starting the horses, I may go on and do the last one, since all the colors are the same. I never keep kit thread when I finish, but I plan to going forward for a while. The flower a day WIP uses bits of color, so I might as well use kit leftovers for it. One intimidating thing about going back to it was the thought of pulling out dozens of random colors and then having to put them all away. This color junkie confesses to succumbing to a new pattern by my favorite blackwork designer. It’s a hundred small circles in a hundred colors. When I have a more substantial start on the bugs, I’ll add that one to the blackwork rotation, and the partial strands of all those colors to the mix for the flowers. That will be a more efficient way to deal with it. For those who don’t remember, this is the pattern. I’m doing it on dark gray, with my own colors.CM Designs Flower a Day Stitch Along - Cross Stitch Pattern - 123Stitch

141 - 160 of 243 Posts