Frugal Village Forums banner
1761 - 1780 of 1935 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
bittersweet isn't it ch. what about a bean salad ..personally don't like them but I know lots of people do. funny what to bring to potluck in todays ask a manager..someone asking for ideas. snap peas and hummus came up a lot.

a sweatshirt quilt sounds great. I like that show how food built america with all the stories of how all the companies started etc. and when did things get created.. brings back memories and reminds you of your age lol kids today don't realize fast food wasn't everywhere and stores used to be closed sundays.

yes it was more a tube shirt made out of a mandala yarn shell pattern why it caught my eye on fb. have all this yarn but most crocheted clothes on plus size isn't very flattering. so will see..not going to do see though though lol I made a shawl for mil that is like a skirt style but not big enough to go around my waist lol. was in the same year before she passed so like new.
still working on the wip..next will be the swimsuit coverup wip that has been hanging around..got lost lol and found again.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
One purse is done. It looks good. Fixed up 3 of the kits with pieces that were missing.

Spent a few minutes in the garden while it was only in the 80's. Weeded, put down newspaper and straw around the tomatoes. Emptied the bucket under the leaky faucet onto my peppers. Picked a handful of peas and ate them, chopped tops off the garlic. Can stir fry those this weekend.

Going to try some hibiscus lemonade. I have a huge bag of hibiscus "flowers", and some lemonade mix. Also need to get the dill out of the oven, it should be dry by now.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,766 ·
Life is feeling weird without all that house project hanging over me. Wonderful weird. The only thing on the agenda for the weekend is to clean out the fridge sometime and move some frozen things into it to start thawing. Next week is cookathon. I’ve been eating badly because I didn’t have anything easy in the freezer. Also I need to do a load of laundry. Other than that, I’m off duty. Robo vac got a long run yesterday after an extended vacation. While the house was in makeover chaos, there was just too much stuff on the floors. It was easier to sweep than clear it, but yesterday Robo had to do the work. Man, I love that guy! I feel like my house is finally under control for the first time since I moved here almost seven years ago. It is a huge relief and worth every bit of all that work, though there were plenty of times when I wondered why I ever started such a huge project.

Today I hope to finish one of the two orange cactus flowers both are maybe 3/4 done. The backstitching on them is as hard or harder than any I have ever done. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m finding it very hard to place. I just sit staring at the pattern, the flower, the pattern, the flower…. The backstitching is in the darkest flower color, and there are some blended colors in the flower, so some of the backstitching is invisible when it’s there, and it’s hard to distinguish some of the other colors. Even counting it doesn’t help sometimes, and pulled out plenty of it when I thought it was wrong. They have white/pale centers and there’s a lot of backstitching, in white, there. I did one, and it just looked like a mess, so I took it out and I’m just skipping it. I’ll be glad when these are finished. The pink flowers look like they will be a lot easier. I’m surprised by how difficult this is because it looked really straightforward on the pattern.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
congrats dc! weight off the mind. Bear cubs are actually pretty small when that young 20ish lbs so not much bigger then a cat. head is bigger of course. local rescue place got like 90 cubs last year I think. picked up youngest cat and went holy you are on a diet..he thinks he needs to eat everytime anyone eats even outside animals so told everyone not to cater to him.

ds had his prom and was home by midnight had fun.. and unlike some social media I saw not drinking.. like i know people drink underage (19 here) but really don't put evidence online lol. just saw some pics. someone filmed him dancing..lol some things don't change from little.

raining here so garden work is out. ended up cleaning out some cutlery drawers..somethings to thrift store and put the rest in dishwasher with the tray. drawers still need wiping out too. long overdo .. got tixs to magic show for dh but sold out so will do in a couple of weeks. very small audience and only weekends.

no idea what we are doing for fathers day..will see later.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi! Busy couple of days. We had company come yesterday to visit and had a nice time. After they left I did as much pre-prep and I could for the brunch I hosted this morning for my Dad. He will be gone tomorrow so we celebrated Father’s Day today. Brunch turned out nicely. I made scrambled eggs, bacon, muffins, hash browns and also had a tray with strawberries, blueberries, cheese and crackers. We all had plenty to eat! Now I’m just relaxing for the rest of the day. Tomorrow dd is taking dh out for lunch so I’m planning to craft during my “alone time”. As much as I enjoyed today’s brunch and such I managed somehow to annoy my back and it’s so sore. I took some ibuprofen and hoping by the time tomorrow rolls around it’ll be back to normal.

KathyB I really like your sock patches. Well done. Do you use a darning egg? I remember my grandmother using a darning egg on socks. I’ve never repaired socks because I always felt it would make them “lumpy” but yours look nice and flat.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,773 ·
The work I assigned myself for the weekend didn’t get done. Not even started. I think I’ll be out of weekend before long. Lol. I really will get it done today.

I didn’t finish one of the flowers, but I got so close …. I also did some on the second one too. I’ll keep working on that, and just enough of the adjoining bits so I can finish up backstitching them.

It’s another hot day, of course. There won’t be any other kind until mid October. The heat index was 108 again yesterday, and the forecast is for higher actual temp by the end of the week. I do not approve of this new normal.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
DC glad you got your house all arranged and are happy with it. It's a nice feeling, isn't it?

M, good to hear that DS had a nice time at prom and got home safe. When will kids learn that pictures on the internet follow them forever.

90 rescued bear cubs? What the heck?

Hikr, enjoy the alone time. I hope you get lots done.

I was looking forward to craft time today but DH made plans to meet up some friends this afternoon so I am going to have to scramble to get anything done. Quilt bee tomorrow and I still have 2 kits to fix, blue quilt blocks to cut and sew, a purse to finish, and a few other small things, plus packing up the sewing machine. Still more cherries to pit, too. They won't last much longer.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hope everyone is feeling better and enjoying their day! marinating steaks etc and going to a free classic auto shows..haven't decided which one yet. still getting teens out of bed. yes CH at least that teen doesn't show it so much like face actually taking drink. but if you get rich enough you can pay to scrub things off the internet too. Think most of the kids at his school had a tame night.

up here the population isn't as much as you guys and lots of mountains etc. so lots of black bears who like to get into garbage cus we keep building into their territories. over 100 killed last year. but cubs that have lost their mom for one reason or another if found sent to rescues. they raise them and release far away.. just like raccoons, skunks, otters etc. it cute to see the pics. I buy stuff off their amazon wishlist from time to time to support them.

working on the wip almost at the last of the yarn..still have to look at the one last yarn hiding place and see if there are one more skein there if not will be finished. think will give to friend if she wants..she liked it before but that was a couple years ago lol

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Got a bit of work done on the purple lapgan. I think I'm about halfway through the last skein. That's going to be the last of it, even if it's not as long as I usually do. I did most of my work on it last night while watching a stream of a DnD game. The DnD stream was hysterical. They're usually one-offs where things get wrapped up by the end of the stream. Sometimes the players use the same characters. Last night they didn't but it was funny how two of the players played the characters they used last night totally differently from the ones I've seen them play before.

Went to a Juneteenth presentation yesterday at the living history farm I regularly go to. I think this was the first time they did this presentation but the people they brought in did a fantastic job. The presentation was based on research one of the farm volunteers did and information found about the site. Always interesting to learn more about the site.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
I would have loved to go to a Juneteenth presentation. envious

I got canvas cut for the outside shelf case, but then remembered I had one lone cushion cover left of the red Cordura. It required only minor adjustments and repair, so that's done now. Better to save new fabrics for things where looking nice matters. I also attached Velcro straps around the folded down shelf brackets so they can't flop open when they shouldn't anymore. I think I'm done, except for making a couple potholders if I ever find my pattern. Hope there's room for the shelf in the compartment where it has to go.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I crocheted for about an hour and 15 minutes then my hands started feeling sore. It was kind of a thinner thread. I think I might be able to go longer with regular sized thread.

I actually don't usually crochet for long stretches straight. Maybe I could go the whole day if I took lots of breaks.

I am around half done with a crochet collar. The yarn is sport weight but seems more like sock weight. It is a big 7 ounce ball - so of course my first idea was to make a small project. 😛

But part of it is testing out a yarn before I use it ine a big project.

If I use thin yarn - not as thin as crochet thread - I could probably do one collar every week.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,780 ·
I finished the petals on the two orange flowers. I can’t finish the backstitching on them until I get the adjoining stitching done, but I think I can easily do that and the backstitching today.

The third brood of my carport swallows is ready to leave the nest. I thought they would this morning, but they just couldn’t quite get the nerve to give it a go. There were so many others flying around I can only describe it as a swarm, but all the coaxing didn’t work. Probably tomorrow. I love having them all around. The sky around here must be a scary place for insects. It’s about time for a round of dragonflies to emerge too. Smaller things with wings will be in even more trouble then.

The cooking isn’t starting today. I’m headachy, congested, and coughing. It will wait.

1761 - 1780 of 1935 Posts