Frugal Village Forums banner
1781 - 1800 of 1935 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi, busy weekend…I hosted the brunch for my Dad Saturday which went really well. I served scrambled eggs, bacon, muffins, hash brown patties, sliced strawberries, blueberries, cheese and crackers. The only thing left was about a cup of blueberries and a half cup strawberries. Yahoo! Dh was particularly excited because he loves blueberry cake and it takes about a cup to make it so that it worked out perfectly. Dd came on Sunday and took dh out for lunch and some shopping. They used to do regular father / daughter outings when she was growing up but with her family and work etc it’s not as easy to find free time. He said he had such a good time. She grew into such a lovely woman. I enjoyed my alone time and I did some sewing. Odds and ends like ripped seams here and there etc. I’ve been putting it off because I really despise mending. I’d rather make a whole new outfit than mend a seam. Lolol. I finally did it!

KathyB a weavette. Intriguing. I’ve never heard of that. It makes a really nice patch. My grandmother had a darning egg but I don’t think she had a weavette.

DLRCPA you are about done with the quilt. Fantastic!

DC what fun to have the birds to watch. We had a robin build a nest on a ladder just outside our bathroom window and we had the best time watching the babies hatch, watching Mama feed them and seeing them leave the nest. She raised two broods that summer.

Renmerc446 I bet the Juneteenth presentation was amazing. I’d love to see something like that.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,789 ·
Forget the cookathon. I’m just going to be a recliner potato. 🙃 I’m just in the mood for doing nothing much except working on the cactus today, so that’s what I’m going to do. I need to get groceries this week so I’ll see if there’s anything inspiring on sale and cook next week. I have an appointment next week with a new dentist so while I’m in town to get groceries I’ll also see where it is. Then I won’t be hunting a possibly elusive office when I have to be there at a certain time.

My dentist, the one I like most in a lifetime of dentists, got an appointment to the VA, and closed or sold his practice. I’m happy for the vets, but not so much for me. The new group has two or three locations, and all his staff were moved to the farthest office across the river, so I’m giving up the hygienist I also like to go to the Shreveport office. My real issue with all this is that the new place is called Bright Smiles. That’s not just embarrassing, but humiliating. It sounds like a day care trying too hard to be cute. And this certifies me as a crabby old woman.

Here is the swallow next this morning. There are always five chicks, so one is in the back of the nest or has already launched.
Plant Sky Property Shade Tree

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
When I was looking for a dentist for the extensive work I had done, several had variations of the "good smile" plan. Basically, it was for people who did not look good when they smiled because they had bad teeth.

I feel like having a husband keeps me reasonably on track with meals. I feel like if it was just me, I would cook big batches whenever. Then I would just reheat stuff and eat random things when I ran low.

I am pretty sure Special K cereal and milk (substitute) counts as a meal. Special K is really nutritious.

My mom was of the opinion that as long as she gave us food at least once or twice a day the details were not important. Not the best role model. It sounds kind of funny, but living through that was not fun . Of course my health was not so great growing up. So I don't want to be quite that bad.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have been enjoying the Ring cam this morning. We have a groundhog that lives around here and he keeps running across the patio and setting off the camera. I know they can be destructive but he hasn’t bothered anything here (so far). And we are getting a big kick out of watching him (as is Ginger). See him on the left side of the picture?
Photograph Light Font Screenshot Software

DC finding a new dentist is rough. Bright Smiles sounds like a pediatric dentist office. I am also a crabby old woman. Lolol.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I got my big box of yarn today. I didn't get "troll" but I did get "liger". The other mandala colors were "joy" and "zen"

Money can't buy happiness but apparently it can buy joy. 😁 I passed up the chance to buy serenity. Sadly, I did not see a chance to buy any "self esteem" yarn.

My fondness for neutrals is showing. Some of the yarns are showing up brighter than they are. Some quirk of being next to the neutrals I think. The yarn in the lower right is much more pastel in person.

Also including my almost complete collar and the big ball of yarn it made from. This yarn I bought separately on Amazon. I plan to do a small crochet cord with a little ball on the end. I have lots of buttons, but I wanted something with an adjustable length.

My hands are feeling sore again so I will finish it tomorrow. Then I will work with some slightly thicker yarn. In the future, I may alternate between thin yarn projects and regular weight projects.

Plant Flower Purple Petal Violet
Green Wood Pink Art Headgear

·
Registered
909 Posts
KathyB the purple jewel tones are beautiful. I tend to lean towards the neutrals too. Our daughter loves the bright colors and mixes all sort of colors and prints that I wouldn’t and they look so good! I don’t know how she does it. I do not have an eye for color.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Pretty yarn.
I saw a video in which the woman made a quilt block pattern named "Thrifty". Simple and I love the name.
I just put a hold on "Where the Crawdads Sing" from the library and put 3 other similar books on my library "future to read" list. The hold will probably take a few weeks to come ready and I should work on finishing the audio book I already checked out "The Nickel Boys".
I am definitely in favor of eating random things. I have surplus peanut butter (3 LARGE jars) due to grocery order mess-up so PBJ is currently popular for breakfast or lunch.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
You can freeze peanut butter.

We survived the latest storm last night. Official rainfall was .23, but we got 1.25 here. I believe our rain gauge since a measley .25" doesn't pool at the bottom of our driveway out to the center line. We lost power from 10:30 PM to 2:30 AM. The house was hot as blazes and no fans, no windows open. At 10 last night it was still over 80 outside, unheard of. Such fun. Also lost internet. Not sure when but it was out at 4:30 AM. It came back about 7 but weirdly, the phone was still out. That came back an hr or so later. Husby said we lost a tree behind my office. He had to go into town and said there were trees down about every 300', with a big crew out cleaning up. Our power company was still reporting 20,000 accounts w/o power this afternoon, so we were lucky it wasn't worse. Night storms are the scariest.

Didn't get anything done today. I missed a big chunk of the hearing because I was so tired I fell asleep watching. It was a rough night. Will have to catch the replay this weekend.

Husby is being loudly lectured about how slow the after-supper snack service is. Hilarious!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Scary Spirit ! glad everything is ok though. lol animals don't care what else is happening standards must be maintained.

lol one thing we don't have here though cute ground hogs.. your pool looks nice! Kathy love the purple yarn! like the mix of yarns is really nice. I figure just get what you like..a nice neutral can be really lovely.

realized I can make a soap bag for the fathers day soap from the bag of little bags..don't remember if I said this before lol we are actually going to have sun here this weekend suppose to be in the high 80s.. now just feels like a sauna though raining.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
SD, that sounds rough.

My hands were achy this morning before I did anything. So I guess I can't blame the crochet. Maybe experiment with hand exercises and stretches to see if that helps.

I am trying to avoid the whole "just take pain medicine" thing. That treats the symptom not the problem.

I tend to like brighter colors paired with neutrals. If it is all bright colors, it is too bright for my taste.

Moving from light brown/tan/white neutrals to trying grays. Stepping outside my comfort zone. 😛. Actually I dislike the whole idea that people should step outside their comfort zone. Let me be comfortable!

I have some black clothes and I think gray might look better with them than black.

The joy yarn is gray, white and purple. An unusual choice since many people think of gray as a depressing color.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
SD: Hope the area gets cleaned up quickly. Glad your power is back on. And of course, there will be complaints about the after-supper snack service... :LOL:

Getting closer to finishing the purple lapgan. I should have it done by next Saturday, when the charity should be at the farmers market again (they only go every other week during the weekly markets). Next project will likely be the WIP I found during the apartment purge. Then again, I may go through my stash and find yarn for another lapgan. The temps and (likely) humidity are starting to creep up so a full sized afgan will be too uncomfortable to work on soon. Then again, I do have a few 1 pound skeins that I can use since I pretty much only need four of those to make a decent sized lapgan.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,799 ·
Kathy - my favorite is the light white/blue-green on the bottom right. It’s a pretty mix of colors. You chose well.

I thoroughly enjoyed my no guilt stitching day yesterday and made good progress. I finished the bottom of a big cactus and the butterfly, except for a little bit of backstitching. Coming up next - the big pink flower on the cactus I finished yesterday. That’s the last big solid section.

SD - that sounds like it was thoroughly miserable night. I’m glad it didn’t last any longer than it did. Storm and Shadow must have been melting with those thick coats. I have a couple of those little desktop battery operated fans. They put out more air than I expected and will at least move air across my face which helps in hot weather power outages.

The big heat dome is drifting our way. The worst will be tomorrow through the weekend, topping out at 102 in the forecast. That’s not as bad as some places but it will probably be humid too. Ick.

Kroger has pork shoulder for .99 lb. That’s not a cut I particularly like, but I think I will learn to love it if I can actually get it. It’s limit two and that’s what I’ll hope for. If it comes through, there’s lots of pulled pork in my future.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If you like it that is all that matters cus if the craft project or colour materials etc you don't then doesn't bring joy. I love that combo together purple grey and white ..even w greens in them makes them pop. only reason I bought the other anniversary cake cus those colour grey white and lavender. wish caron would bring back one of the early cakes that was those colours.

muggy here and rainy still. will see if I work on wips today. package arrived for friend of yarn so happy about that. took a while and always a chance it wouldn't arrive. played on ravelry and found new patterns to save. still the reg stuff work housework etc. popped allergy pill and so did ds ..will get the reg call at 6 for your child missed one or more classes etc. seems to be reg thing in the last week of school lol grad tomorrow.

1781 - 1800 of 1935 Posts