Frugal Village Forums banner
1801 - 1820 of 1935 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I feel like there is not much motivation to attend classes the last few days unless it would actually endanger your chance of graduating.

Many of the color combinations on the yarns are ones I would not think of myself. But once I see them, I like them. Of course, I also see combinations I don't like.

Adding a neutral can make a difference to me as well. One yarn I have is orange and peach with a little bit of light greenish blue. Normally I would not like the blue mixed with the orange and peach. But because it also contains a lot of white and light tan the combination looks appealing to me.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
We had record heat here a couple days ago, hence the storm. It was 93 and humid, unusual for June here. It 72⁰ with 46% humidity, but that won't last.

It's like Christmas here. I found all my missing quilt patterns. Of course they were right where they belonged, in a slip case in the craft reference books cabinet. I think I need to rearrange that cabinet so all the quilt books and patterns are on the same shelf so nobody can hide out. I even found the Virginia Reel quick quilt pattern I thought I might have gotten rid of. I also found the log cabin quick quilt pattern the VR pattern is based on, which is the one I really wanted because I was having trouble finding a good pattern without sashing. I think that will be my go-to for any suitable quilt pattern because I really hate trying to deal with huge quilts on the machine.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It's only in the mid-60*s in my area today, although cloudy and on the humid side. Sigh. I'm glad I left a wool shawl in the office today, since it was chilly in the office. I could've asked facilities for some heat but weather's been a bit of roller coaster, temp-wise, recently. The weekend's supposed to be ~90*.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Spent the day crafting with a dear friend today. I got so much done on the slippers I’ve been working on. Took the car in for the brake job which was painful but expected. Cars do need brakes occasionally. Now I need to take it in for tires and that will also be painful but again, gotta have them. I’m due for inspection next month and it won’t pass without the new tires.

DLRCPA was the video with the quilt block named “Thrifty” on YouTube? I will have to look for it. I’m always on the hunt for quilt block patterns. I had to get back on YouTube today because I couldn’t remember how to do the automatic needle threader thing on the sewing machine! I could remember the threading and such but the last step of the auto threader totally eluded me. YouTube to the rescue!

SD that storm sounds horrific. Night storms are definitely the worse. We had one here last week that had a bolt of lightning hit at a local car dealership. Apparently there was a man standing in the vicinity and he was hit by the lightning as well. He was ok although quite shaken up obviously.

KathyB I agree, let me be comfortable. I don’t like leaving my comfort zone for very long. LOL. I hope that you can find some hand stretches that help.

Marthamfi.No groundhogs in your area? I just assumed they were worldwide. LOL. This little guy has been hustling back and forth across the patio. We have a large section of clover growing on the other side of the pool area so he’s trotting back and forth enjoying the buffet. We do love the pool, thank you.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The weather is wacky isn't it Ren .. though only like 70 but so muggy felt like it was a lot hotter. woke up cold but now it is sunny and suppose to get to high 80s over next few days. was playing w thermostat to get fan going to recycle air here and got it set to a/c and heat switch. weeds will go nuts. was outside cus alarm was playing up and ended up ripping up morning glory ..lots of random maple seedlings etc to get rid off too so boys job. just been a weird day. our allergies going nuts maybe up and down weather too so though should be doing work just can't without screwing it up. tomorrow. found the reactine so tomorrow we can take that cus others aren't cutting it.

Yes Kathy lol all just projects due etc but know the number on call display by heart now and automatic system phones cell, landline and email. plus some things like gym keep going. Dh was busy in the kitchen and then ran for the phone cus I was ignoring it ...said it is 6:03 just the auto call from school lol. Grad ceremony tomorrow and a friend asked me to take pics cus they just tested positive.

Hikr.. We have groundhogs but they don't live here more on the island and outside the lower mainland more grassy areas. Always a couple stories of Marmots hitching a ride down here and having to be sent back. Sounds like a very nice time crafting with your friend.

just a strange day ..no matter how much I run the carpet sweeper or broom ..like 4 times in the same area more dirt and cat hair. just the why do you clean lol cus looks the same a day later. making early dinner spaghetti and meatballs. and will finished the blanket tonight. just played on ravelry looking at skirt patterns and finding more dirt..need to stop wearing glasses lol

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Got the case made for the baby Crockpot. It turned out too big. Usually I make them too small. Oh, well, good enough. Then I was going to make a new case for the 2 square Corningware dishes with lid. But as I looked at the case I had, I realized I could make a couple small changes to just improve that instead of starting all over. So that's done. Then I pieced some quilted scraps together to make a new, better pad to go between the 2 dishes and the lid on top. I really, really, REALLY don't want to break the dishes and especially the lid. It's still not a perfect case but fits tighter to hold things together better so they can't bounce against each other.

Small progress. Finishing up those 2 things got a bunch of stuff off the work table. Still have to finish altering the second pair of jeans I recently bought, but that won't take long.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Thanks SD. This peanut butter oatmeal cookie recipe is really good also. I'll probably make those and could even freeze the dough. Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies {Best Ever} - Two Peas & Their Pod

Raining today. I pulled out a lot of minor fabric scraps to iron and cut up into squares or triangles.
The "Thrifty" block was shown on a Youtube video "my sewing room" channel. She was making additional blocks to finish out a quilt from sampler blocks someone else made. She arranged the strongest colors along the diagonals to make a X and used a lot of different but coordinated scraps for the other squares. Seemed like a good way to use up small pieces. The Maggie Malone quilt block books are great, I have 2: "1001 Patchwork Designs" (mostly black and white drawings) and "5500 Quilt Block Designs" (colored in designs).

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,808 ·
Bad bad bad words. My car battery is down again. I guess I’ll have to replace it. That makes tomorrow’s grocery shopping iffy. I think it would be better to have it jump started and use that trip to town to get a new one. Then do the dentist next Thursday and groceries next Friday. This is getting very annoying.

Other than that unhappy surprise, it’s just the same old stuff here. Still working on the cactus cross stitch, listening to books. I’ll do a little in the kitchen while I cook supper. It’s just a lazy summertime.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,809 ·
More vexation. I just found out the silly Bright Smiles practice is not in the insurance network, so I’m on my own to find a new dentist.

What a day. It’s going to be all stitching and comfort food for supper. I don’t know what exactly it will be but it is going to include French fries. 😆

·
Registered
909 Posts
SD I ran across this in my Pinterest scrolling. You’ve probably either seen this or have heard of these ideas but thought I’d send them along just in case you hadn’t.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I’m running behind today. I have not been able to get out of my own way. I totally got sucked into Pinterest and wasted a good chunk of my day there. I know better!

KathyB that’s how I feel with colors. there are some I just wouldn’t think of combining because I think they’ll look terrible but when someone puts them together it looks so nice.

SD that’s great you found the patterns you’d been looking for! I love when that happens. It’s good you got the crock pot carrier finished. Nice to have that checked off the list.

renmerc446 our temps have been similar to yours. 60 to 80. Back and forth. Earlier this week we went out and I had to wear my fleece jacket and it’s nearing the end of June.

DLRCPA. Thank you for the info on the Thrifty block. I’ll check it out. Finding patterns that is up smaller pieces is helpful. I feel guilty when I throw away scraps but the flip side is I have so many I could swim in them. LOL.

DC sorry about the car battery. Anything that involves French fries I am on board with. Hahahaah.

·
Registered
909 Posts
TGIF! I need to get something done today. Yesterday was a bust. I need to add some soil to my potato plants as they are getting kind of “leggy” so I need to cover them up. I also need to pay bills and I am hoping to do a bit more sewing and see about hopping in the pool. Not sure if the water temp is up enough after the cooler days we have had and I am not turning on the heater with the price of propane.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Hikr, pinterest is definitely a time sink. As for scraps, if you can cut them to uniform sizes such as 2.5x2.5" or 2.5x4.5", or 5" squares then it makes it easier to use up many small different pieces. Look up Bonnie Hunter. She does amazing stuff with small scraps. Pat Speth is another quilter who uses a lot of 5" squares and nothing larger.

Dlr, the quilt came out beautifully. Very nice use of small pieces of fabric.

SD, sorry to hear about the storm, hope the cleanup isn't too bad.

DC, hope you get the car fixed up soon.

Kathy, great selection of yarns!

I don't know how --with this heat wave all around us-- but we've had rain off and on the past 3 days and temps in the 70's. It's been a relief from the high heat of previous weeks. Feels more like June should.

Monday was a good day at the quilt bee. I was up early and got a lot done. Finished the 2nd purse, turned both in. It's going to be an ongoing project with the guild. The kits I put together were happily received and will be passed out at the regular meeting. I did 3 North Star blocks and 3 Hattie's Choice as well. Then I brought home an entire grocery sack of new fabric. I don't know what happened to that lovely teal I wanted to work with but I haven't seen it at the bee. They had out a bolt of chartreuse that is hard to match anything to, a mauve floral, and an orange floral. I took 3 yds of the orange, it's southwestern/fall colors and I have a lot I can use with that. Some of the ladies gave me scraps to use in my Hattie's choice or other quilts. One of the ladies had her cutter and all her dies, and she lent me the puppy and kitty blocks. I will try some machine applique and see how much work it is. Picked up two "guy" prints, one has a fishing theme, one is a woodland print. I'm planning out quilts for those. I think I have enough now to keep me going through the end of the year.

I had to get a new computer and it will be a while before things are set up so I can post pics, but I made a lot of progress with the latest lightning quilt top. It's amazing how much free time I have when I'm not on the computer.... I even got the kitchen clean.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Last night was a bust for working on the purple lapgan. I was really tired by the time I got home from work and barely stayed awake long enough to eat dinner before going to bed. I have a bit more energy today, but I'll wait and see how I feel when I get home. I do have laundry to do this evening, though.

This weekend, temps are supposed to reach ~90* before dropping back into the 70*s by Monday. Next week is forecasted to be in the mid-80*s. I'll take that since it's warm without being dangerously hot, unless it gets really humid.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,816 ·
Wow! We just won the weather lottery. It’s partly cloudy and we were under the cloud that decided to rain. It lasted longer and rained a lot harder than the ordinary afternoon heat showers. We ended up with puddles! The heat index is still 108 though.

CH - good deal on all the fabric you picked up. The orange sounds useful. I’ll be happy to see your pics when they come.

The car is in process. The brothers came over while ago and got it started. One of them and his father are going to Sharon’s tomorrow morning to fix something on her pool. One of them will drive my car and someone will take it to Walmart and get a new battery installed. I was going to pick up one at an auto supply and let one of the guys here who volunteered put it in, but she kept pushing the Walmart plan. I think that’s a little crazy on a Saturday on the hottest day of the year yet, but whatever. I told her I couldn’t take it to Walmart because there was no way I could manage a store that big and crowded, painfully hobbling around with my walker.

I have more time too since I bailed out of Facebook. I haven’t been able to force myself to use it though to clean the kitchen. I’ve just got a bad case of the lazies. Maybe tomorrow. Lol. Meanwhile, on with the cactus.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
DC, glad to hear thee is a plan for the car. Hope it goes well. I don't like walking through the huge retail stores either, it makes my feet hurt.

I've been looking at fabric sales online. Green Fairy has charm packs for half price, some are only $7, very tempting. And MO quilt Co is pushing solids in their sale this week. I think there's a big quilt shop hop locally this weekend, but I'm not doing it. We were talking about it at the bee and a lot of the ladies have even more unused fabric than me, and nobody wants to pay for gas right now.

After reading this morning's news I'm not going anywhere near facebook for weeks. Not that people are usually rational, but it'll be worse now.

I did get the last of my spring planting done. Tomatoes and kale are in. One pepper left. My older tomatoes are starting to set fruit. They love this heat. Didn't get much else done, mostly staying out of DH's way as he tries to get data off my old drive.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,818 ·
The car plan changed without telling me. The guys took the car in today, so it is fixed. Their aunt put it on her credit card, and I have the payment and a bag of banana peppers from the next lot neighbor being shuttled to them tomorrow on the pool repair run. It’s like having car repair fairies. The keys hang right inside the carport door, and I didn’t even know when they took the car and left. I wouldn’t have even known they were jump starting it if I hadn’t stepped out on the porch to see the rain. Lol.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That sucks about your computer Ch! That was sweet of them to get the car repair done for you! yes staying off the internet does give you time as I surf again lol dh is out w friend who is back in town so I am watching joe bobs drive in horror night. he normally comes home in time for second show.

sun has hit here..suppose to be in high 80s tomorrow ..kicked on the a/c for first time tonight to get it to 74. ds had grad last night and dry grad after so home in wee hours..got woken up a few times and now he is off camping with friends. he didn't want help until today so got his sister to help and some extra food. a bunch of teen boys need more then they think. they did a costco run where he got a bit of eye opening at cost of food. tired and had a couple of drinks w sandwich for dinner. laundry on too. cat got the grass out though her nose so she is happy. yes she needs to stop eating that grass.

lost the roku remote but when I moved loveseat found a couple of the little skeins of yarn I was rolling before..as much crafting as I have done. got some macrame plant holders from amazon cus way cheaper for 4 of them then getting a kit or the cord to make them. or getting vintage ones from auctions. did get a vintage glider swing and 60s barbies though. pickup tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,820 ·
Lol M - I read that first as 60 barbies. 😂 I recently watched a Hoarders highlight show on YouTube about a woman with 50,000 dolls. It wasn’t you though. 😂😂

I’m off to a very slow start today which isn’t a good thing because I really have a lot I want to get done. Still better late than never, especially since it’s been never for the last few days. I just added to that list putting together a grocery order and that may take a while. It’s been a month since I got groceries and a month before that. No wonder the pantry and freezer are looking thin. I’ll go Monday. Most of the sales may be out of stock, but I can replenish staples. Then probably again at the end of the week for the new ad. I don’t even want to think about the cost.

I have just a little left on the pink flower and the bottom half of the cactus will be finished. The top half will be much quicker.
Flower Plant Pollinator Green Botany

1801 - 1820 of 1935 Posts