Frugal Village Forums banner

Stash Management 2022

128K views 4K replies 19 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
It’s almost here - a brand new year and the same old stash that still needs managing.

Here we share our our hobby and DIY stashes - what’s in, what’s out, organizing them, using them or making them bigger and better. We also talk about our projects, and this and that. Sometimes we wander a bit off topic but it’s all good.

Everyone is welcome. Come join us!

#3 ·
I’m running out of time to set goals for next year. Right now it looks like this. For blackwork, the garden sal and bug sampler, with two smaller patterns at the top of the list - space and weather and one of the studies in color, a large series. I have several of the patterns, but haven’t decided definitely on which one to do. For large WIPs, the Klimt Santa and mini flowers. Flowers are probably up first to use those small bits of thread and to give the Santa a rest. Other cross stitch - some little patterns and to dig into the ridiculous kit stash. I should be ashamed of it, but I’m not. I have two kit WIPs, the owl and the seashells. The first new kit start will probably be Lauren Burch horses.

Ok. The same goal I set every year and every year fail at miserably. To stitch from stash. End of story. I have enough for the rest of my life, never mind just 2022. I hope those aren’t the same. 😂 Allowed - floss I need to complete a project. Not allowed - a fabric I don’t have for a project, just because I want it, and a cool new kind of thread, just because I want it. If I’m truly determined and give it my best, who knows? That might even last two or three weeks!

#20 ·
I was about 19 days behind trying to catch up what y'all had been up to last year... and gave up. :) Just picking up with the new year!!!

If I’m truly determined and give it my best, who knows? That might even last two or three weeks!
We should start a betting pool ;P

Renmerc- so sorry about your Dad!🧡

For my first trick of 2022... ANOTHER new hat for DD18... She managed to misplace her Baymax hat within days of getting it, so I made her a Grinch to wear the last few days, but it is now out of season and going in the attic, and I am going to have to HIDE that silly pumpkin hat she loves so much... (It doesn't help that it is a little small on her...)

So now I am working on one I am pretty sure she will love-- Pusheen the Cat... fingers crossed... I have the actualy hat done, so now I have to do the ears, the tail, and the details, hopefully it will be ready before she has to go back to school on Tuesday... assuming that actually happens. <rant deleted>

So, regarding stash, I couldn't find the gray yarn I am sure I have somewhere and had to buy a new skein. That's ok, because I remember thinking the other yarn was too shiny for this project anyway... And just to be safe I bought another skein of black, too, but I'm working with the last of an old ball for now. JA is having a sale so the 2 skeins were only $2.99 each, and it will get used eventually.

My real goal SHOULD be (nod to DC) the same it is EVERY year... to organize what I have! I can't even say what I need to use up until I organize things! An old friend has a daughter in elementary school, so I have asked her to message me whenever her kid is going through a new hobby binge... there is not much they could think of that I don't have some supplies I could share with them!

And a declaration of intent-- I WILL be needing to buy some new acrylic paints at some point this year (after I organize and purge what I have.) DD14 frequently raids my stash and things get used up or just disappear... at least they both have gotten better about not just leaving the bottles open to dry out over the years!!!

#4 ·
Don't know how much crocheting I'll get to today. I don't know how long the situation with my car will take. Hopefully, not more than an hour. I was lucky to get an appointment for it today since someone else cancelled. Otherwise, I'd have to drop it off during work. At least this way, it'll be finished before I go back to work.

dc - I totally sympathize. I've had a stash for many, many years and only really started stash-busting this year. My current WIP is the second "full" sized (more like a twin) afgan made totally from yarn in my stash. I've made some lapgans from skeins left over from other projects but I did those soon after I finished those. So the yarn never really went into the stash. I think I only bought new yarn once this year for something intended for my father. (I'll send it to one of my sisters instead, since Dad died last week.)

#6 ·
Ren I'm sorry, that is sad news....
Trying not to fall to temptation of buying yarn. The charity has plenty for making donation items and I don't need any more clothing for myself. There is quilting fabric to use up so probably will have to buy thread and batting during the year to accomplish that. I have Aida for cross stitch and free patterns, if necessary will buy floss to complete a design.

#7 ·
I'll be going through my stash this year. We've been cleaning up and organizing a lot the past couple of months. I have so much. I need to do something with all of it. I got fabric when my aunt died a few years ago that I haven't done anything with. I think I'll wash it and give it away. I have a box of yarn I got also. Going to give that away too. I have another quilt to make and a few other things I'd like to do too. Then I may just start giving away some of it. I had all these good intentions of doing things and it never happened. Time to let someone else have it.

#9 ·
Thanks, everyone. It was expected since he went downhill since the beginning of the month.

Sigh. I got one car related issue done (key fob replacement). Now the front suspension and such needs work. That's going to be an expensive job but it was something I sorta expected. At least it should be good for quite a while once fixed and the car is ~16 years old and been paid off for 13 years. The downside is, I have to get it done through the dealership since the auto repair shop I normally would've gone to appears to be closed and I'm not sure if it's ever going to reopen. Don't think buying a brand new car is an option, given the pandemic supply issues.

#11 ·
I'm still deciding what new project I want to start first in 2022. Probably the companion piece for Coffee Shoppe, which I just finished. The new one is Toy Shoppe. They're both small Christmas pieces.

I'd like to complete at least 2 quilt UFOs.

I want to do 2 beaded medallions for a pair of moccasins. I want this design, but in bolder basic colors, red, blue, green, yellow, like that. Maybe I'll start the yr with those.
Purple Sleeve Creative arts Natural material Violet

I want to keep UFOs under better control around here. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

#12 ·
Happy New Year everyone! Here’s hoping the world has a happier 2022.

CH - I took your wise advice (🙂) and napped most of the afternoon yesterday. Sadly the isopod mess and associated disasters didn’t fix themselves so today had better be a busy one.

SD - the Coffee Shoppe is great. I’m glad you may get back to some beading. It’s something you enjoy and what you make is always beautiful.

The first little garden sal block came out last night, but I decided I should just go on and finish the border while I still had the flow of it. Tonight I’ll do the little block.

I’ve randomly assigned colors to the bug sampler. I’m going to do it color by color instead of row by row. There are 11 colors so one each month would actually finish it this year. Of course to do that I’ll need to get enough outlining done to lock in the spacing, and should work at least the inner row of border to get it all centered properly since I’m not using the one on the pattern. I think my first New Year project will be to get that started. I’ve had that pattern on hold for a very long time.

#14 ·
SD: I am intimidated by your bead skills!!

Dlr: I hope your dream IS an omen and mine (car battery died) is not... though the mechanics warned me in August that battery was weak and with the cold weather...well...anyway, hope you find the fabric.

I have a little set of beads to work with but somehow NOT my beading needles, thread or fittings. I will get those together tomorrow from the storage unit. Thought I brought them home before but apparently not

#18 ·
Our big winter storm turned out a little wimpy. Fine snow is coming down, we don't even have a good layer on the grass yet. It's supposed to be heavier up north. No ice that I can see but it may be slick anyway. I have no plans to go out until Monday and the vet appt. Going to be drinking a lot of hot tea today.

SD your project came out beautifully. You really plowed right through all that stitching!

Maggie, hope you find your needles and everything you need.

If I can keep my hands warm today I'll try working on the cardinal. The light's not great but maybe with the new glasses... I want to at least finish the center portion before I put it away for the year. My goal for January is to finish 4 projects from last year: my floral lap quilt (big squares), the Hatties Choice and pink floral donation quilts, and the cloth purse (gift). Then I will re-assess priorities. The casserole carrier is still on the list as is the animal panel lap quilt for DH. And of course, the big dragon quilt kit I got a few years ago is still waiting. That will be my next BIG project.

As for new ideas, I saw something on Pinterest that will help me use up narrow pink strips from a decades old project, and I have some new accuquilt dies to play with. I'm sure other projects will pop up, and the donation quilts will continue.

Time for more tea!

#19 ·
CH - I'm with you on the tea! Do fingerless mittens/gloves help while stitching? (As in keeping your palms warm while keeping your fingers free for the fiddley work?)

We're getting rain today. November and December were both dry months this year. November's always the driest month of the year in my area but it was particularly dry this year. (I think due to the Jet Stream moving around and such.) It's really warm for the season (in the mid-50s) but will likely go back to more seasonal weather on Monday - as in cold (in the 30s).

#21 ·
Oof. I am tired but life is better. I’ve cleared out trash, neighbor put the extra tank in the attic, all the isopod stuff is stowed away, the big folding table ditto, and best of all, all the actual dirt is cleaned off the floors - I tracked it all over the house - and the worktable. There’s more to do in a general way, but I can live with this and work at it gradually.

Tonight I’m going to start the bug sampler layout. That should be an easy enough project that that won’t require much energy.

#22 ·
Ren, huge virtual hug your way. Even when you know it's coming it's so hard.

I am so excited about the stash. I cleared out an entire Rubbermaid making Christmas stuff and reorganizing. The floor of my closet is finally visible. Of course now I have to dust and mop, but it takes so much less time when you don't have to shift a huge pile of stuff. It's time to face the larger pieces of material which are destined for curtains, a cat bed, and more curtains. I like little projects you can finish quickly, not huge ones that take up the entire kitchen table or bed just to get the pattern marking done. Boo, hiss, get on it Madam!

Courage, everyone. As I keep reminding myself, there will be more projects even if I finish every single one of those UFO's in my stash. Honest. To reassure myself I even went on three fabric sites to confirm that material is still available and it is not necessary for me to purchase enough new fabric, thread and patterns to equip a 9-person cross-country wagon train, just in case.

#23 ·
If you have big pieces of fabric, be sure you keep in mind any bigger upcoming projects such as camper curtains (including privacy curtains) or quilts (backing takes a lot of fabric). Even something not your first choice can be workable.

CH or anyone else who needs DIY binding, here are instructions for making 14' of binding from a fat quarter. https://pin.it/5116pGa

#24 ·
Spirit Deer, that binding tutorial is awesome! I absolutely and totally despise making bias binding a few feet at a time with a bias tape maker and an iron, then sewing the little fiddly seam at an angle, then back to the bias tape maker... I suspect there is a lot of happier bias tape making in my immediate future, since all the sides of the cat cushion call for bias binding. Lifesaver!

#25 ·
DC- speaking of your isopods... DD14 keeps a small menagerie in her room, and last fall she added wild rollie-pollies from the garden to her collection (In a big plastic chips tub...) she told me today they are doing well and it made me think of your isopods.

(Ok, actually her words were more like "generations have grown under my care, I am their GOD!!!! But she did say that they are doing well...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.