Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be neat to have an ongoing thread in which to post what steps we are taking to achieve our dreams.

It occurred to me while I was posting somewhere that my dreams are alot like the ocean to me. There's lots of scary unknown things in there. Things I have never dealt with before, things I have never even heard of. It could be disasterous if I fail, i could drown in all of this vastness.Yet if I ever want to swim, I have got to get wet! So it's time for me to get off the sand and begin wading on in!

So this coming week, I will be posting what small steps (hey water-wings are ok to start with) I am taking to get my dream moving.

Time to get wet folks! Please post with what steps you are taking.

Splashing is ok!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Missy I love how you describe things. Such a vivid picture. (You ever thought of writing?)

The step were working on right now is getting a photograph album together with pictures of all the things we make. I've been working on it very slowly. I need to pick up some bristle board to write the descriptions on so they can go along with the pictures.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Missy I love the way you let your words flow out too. I think you should become a writer.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Wow...you really made me think Missy!!!...It truely is a leap of faith to get started on your dreams!!!....I will be taking an inventory of what food I have in the house and setting up meals from it...this is something you all do already, but I have very rarely done...I have to start with getting my frugal act together so I can have the money to finance my Teddy bear business.... :cool:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty then. Today I decided to get my water-wings on.

I went to a local craft store and picked up some supplies. I don't have the finances yet to get machinery or etc, but i got some clay to start with and I got some basic tools. I will work with this stuff as much as I can, sell little items this way, and put that money towards my dream.

So, I have touched the ocean with my toes. And ya know what? It's kind of exhilarating!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I:

* Ordered catalogs,
* Received a free sample magazine (might subscribe to it, i like how it is organised) for ceramists
* Ordered another sample magazine to check out
* Found a company that helps people get studios started (gotta call them and get them to send literature and references)
* Drawn out design ideas I want to try with what materials I have on hand.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
You will achieve your dream before you know it Missy!! ;)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Missy your doing great.

I'm still working on the photo album. We have all the pictures done, now its writing out all the info and putting the pricing on each card next to the photo.

What is everyone else doing?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi There
6-18-05
Yesterday I wrote that I was putting my dreams on permanent hold.
Thanks to reading what Missy and others are doing I went to
bed and worked on a plan.
I will somehow find a place to start some houseplants in my home. I will then sell them at my lawnsales.
The money from the plants will be used to buy my glad bulbs
to plant next spring. These will be sold out on our front lawn.
The money from them will be put away for more bulbs plus
the material to build a greenhouse, where I will be able to start my vegetable plants to sell at the roadside.
my dream is NOW Officially back ON.
Thank you ladies for the encouragement.

Holly

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So glad Holly, to hear that you have decided to go ahead! Yay!! :cheergrl: Keep us updated, I can't wait to hear your triumphs!

Today I tested an air dry clay and didn't like the results, extremely fragile. So I have a few more things to try with it to see if I like the results, and if I don't then I will move on to another type. I figure I can sell handbuilt items for a little while till I have saved up the money for a kiln and a pottery wheel. :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
My dream is to earn some money this year doing what I love...arts/crafts/stitchwork. I plan on making small things to sell at a local craft fair. I need to:

~ decide what to make (small things)
~ pick out or design patterns
~ set aside time each day to work on them

Jean

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow you ladies are inspiring....

My dreams I think wont ever become a reality but...

The only dream I have to own a house in a nice small town with some land to plant a garden and a workshop. We currently have a house now but it is in the city and our next door neighbor is actually attached to us, and at first the thought of owning my own home was great and although this house IS GREAT, I keep thinking we should have waited and just kept saving as I personally dont like where I live now.

So my dream is to move to Kansas in a small town, have a large 3-4 bedroom house (maybe more) with some land and a workshop so I can do my crafting without taking space from another room in the house.

I would also like to dabble in canning but that's a whole different story. :D

~Tracy~

·
Registered
29 Posts
steps on the path towards our dreams....

Well, my dreams are to travel, so I'm doing all sorts of research both reading and on the internet, to map out a plan of where to go first and why.

Japan is on my list because my Dad was there during the war and I have photos of itand would like to go there for my Father, also for the same reason Egypt.

Africa- because I sponsor a little boy in Benin and would like to go and see his village and I feel so useless sitting here in my safe comfortable home knowig that in his villiage children are dying of silly things.

Paris- the city of lovers, because I am a Libran- we like romance and I really want to see the Notre Dame!

USA- I've so far covered some of Michigan(still lots to see) and Schenectady in NY so lots more there to see, although I am able to say I did see the World Trade Center.

Europe- it's huge it's old and I love History- something of which Australia doe not have a lot of we've only been settled since 1788.

My other dream is to write a book... I've written a few magazine articles but there's abook waiting to escape, so I've signed up for a writing course, we'll see what comes out of that....

I guess my biggest dream is to get the 5 children safely into Adulthood and then sit back and wait to be the grandmother that I'm sure I'll be better at than the Mother I am.

Thats Me
Kim

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Well I finished one Christmas ornament for sale, hopefully. And am working on a bellpull. I don't know if they'll be juried into the sale though. Will have to see. I'm waiting for a response from one of the jurors that they will look at my work. Could be interesting.

Jean

·
Registered
431 Posts
Im working towards my dream of opening my paintings in a gallery.I painted, I took the appropriate pictures,I put them on CD and dropped them at the gallery holding the Expo.Now its only a matter of waiting for them to be judged and holding my breath for a few months hoping Ill place in the contest! By March my wildest dream may come true of opening in an art gallery!

Patty

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, what an inspiring thread! My dream for a long time has been to write a book. This summer I actually started it. I love Christian romance novels, but hate the way they portray the leading women, as they all seem so stereotyped. I am on chapter 5 and have someone lined up to edit it! (someone I don't personally know). I am very excited. It may never get published, but when I am dying, I don't want to be lying there regretting never having at least tried to fulfill my dream. I try to do a few pages a week, but with hs'ing and working 6 nights a week, it is hard sometimes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SO PROUD!

I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND HAVE BEEN READING ALOT ABOUT YOU ALL. I AM SO PROUD OF EACH OF YOU WANTING TO FULLFIL YOUR DREAMS. JUST RECENTLY IF YOU DON'T MIND ME ADDING MINE TO THE POT, DID I REALIZE THAT I HAVE A LONG TERM DREAM/GOAL. I WANT TO GO TO BUSINESS SCHOOL AND OWN A COUPLE OF BUSINESSES ACTUALLY. I AM PREPARING MY SELF IN WAYS I HADN'T EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT, I WANT TO BE AN EVENT PLANNER. I WANT TO HELP WITH PARTIES WEDDING ANYTHING I CAN. I DO IT ALREADY AND EVERYONE SAYS I SHOULD GO INTO IT. THERE IS NOTHING IN MY SMALL TOWN LIKE IT SO HOPES HIGH I AM TRYING. I AM DOING A BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR MY FAMILY AND AN ANNIVERSARY PARTY FOR MY FRIEND. I EVEN HAVE A NAME...THAT I AM PONDERING ON. I HAVE A FEW FRIENDS THAT HAVE SPECIAL TALENTS THAT I WILL USE THEM FOR WHAT THEY DO AND PAY THEM AS WELL. EVENTUALLY I WANT TO DO MY SURROUNDING COUNTIES AND AFTER I AM FINACIALLY 'OK' I WANT TO HAVE A BED AND BREAKFAST. I DO IT NOW WITH ALL OF MY DH FAM STAYING WITH ME. I JUST DON'T GET PAID FOR IT. ITS PRETTY MUCH A PLAN THAT I HAVE HAD FOR A FEW YEARS BUT I HAVEN'T REALLY DONE ANYTHING ABOUT.

I WISH YOU ALL LOTS OF LUCK IN YOUR JOURNEY TO YOUR DREAM. I SUPPORT EACH OF YOU FOR WANTING TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!GOOD LUCK AND IF I CAN HELP IN ANYWAY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

·
Registered
844 Posts
big move and getting engaged

I am planning to move from one European country to another in 2 months time. The dream has been there for about 10 years, but now I am finally taking the steps. My university course ends in August (still working extremely hard to finish it all on time) and I will go on an exploratory mission in September. That will be for jobhunting and househunting.

Then in December my bf and I will visit his family in Africa, get his visa for this new European country and move! I am terribly excited and very confident it will all work out! I feel at the top of my strength and able to bend luck my way. Have you ever felt that way?

BTW: bf has the money for the trip to Africa and a month's stay there, but none to spare. My savings are about $ 500 and that's it. No loans or debts, though. I am so thrilled by this challenge and sure to succeed!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am planning to move from one European country to another in 2 months time. The dream has been there for about 10 years, but now I am finally taking the steps. My university course ends in August (still working extremely hard to finish it all on time) and I will go on an exploratory mission in September. That will be for jobhunting and househunting.

Then in December my bf and I will visit his family in Africa, get his visa for this new European country and move! I am terribly excited and very confident it will all work out! I feel at the top of my strength and able to bend luck my way. Have you ever felt that way?

BTW: bf has the money for the trip to Africa and a month's stay there, but none to spare. My savings are about $ 500 and that's it. No loans or debts, though. I am so thrilled by this challenge and sure to succeed!!!

That is so exciting! Where would you like to move (and also why?),

1 - 20 of 36 Posts