Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for funsies, I thought we should have a place to share our "OMG!!!! That price???!!???" moments... I went ahead and put a year on it, because somehow I doubt that prices are going to shrink back down...ever...
This could be regular items that are creeping upwards (like groceries) or just prices that are ridiculous... like the $118 pants I saw the other day...

I'll go first...
- $11 for grocery store sushi that would have been $8 a year ago...(AND it was sliced a bit thinner...)

· Registered
13,526 Posts
I know everyone is seeing similar prices, but eggs were $8+ per dozen here last week.

Bag of cheese flavored popcorn $4.99!

head of plain iceberg lettuce: $5.99!

I've seen ordinary boxes of kid's cereal as high as $7.99. Glad I don't have to buy it.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Bread $5 and 18 eggs $8....$13!!!!
CH I got family size name brand cereal for $2.49 at Aldi's few weeks ago. Huge boxes..... Long best by dates too....we don't eat cereal either. I purchased for food pantry. It's harder and harder to find things affordable to donate.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
I've been saving grocery receipts for the last 3 years. They are not sorted, so this is what I found after a quick search:

1/10/20
large eggs .99
half & half (quart)1.95

5/31/20
2% half gal milk 2.05
cottage cheese 2.99
butter 4.49 (sale 1.99)
boneless skinless chicken breast 3.79/lb (sale .99/lb)

9/29/20
2% milk 2.29
BS chicken br 3.56/lb

12/21/20
half & half (pint) 1.19
butter 3.99 (sale 1.69)
large eggs 1.19
cottage cheese 2.49
chicken 4.69

6/23/21
half & half 1.45
cottage cheese 3.89 (sale 2.69)
2% milk 2.69

8/02/21
large eggs 1.45 (sale .99)

9/06/21
large eggs 1.99
cottage cheese 3.85 (sale 2.00)
2% milk 2.69

2/01/22
cottage cheese 3.29
2% milk 2.69

7/18/22
2% milk 2.89
cottage cheese 3.49

12/27/22
half & half 1.59
large eggs 5.09
2% milk 2.95
butter 4.99

Reactions: Zhoen and ressa

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
CH, that is a cool comparison!!! I love real data like that!!!

Last night I worked overtime that MAY (or may not) come with a bonus... and was feeling pretty excited about it...

--then H told me that instead of the tax return I was expecting, we are probably going to owe. WTH!!!!????!!!! Every time I've looked at my shrunken paystub, I have been thinking, "well, at least I'll get a huge tax return..." I claim ZERO deductions and I owe??? So yeah, that was a bit of a shock...

-- and I went to the grocery because we are out of a few things... I like LaBrea sourdough bread and acknowledge that it is a bit of a luxury so I rarely splurge on it... It felt like a splurge back when it was $5 a loaf-- yesterday I saw it is up to $7!!! I got it for markdown, "only" $3, but that DOES NOT feel like a win... :(

I still love my new job for the nature of the work, but it is hard to be excited about the pay when I am losing over 25% to taxes, then still OWING... and day-old bread costs $3...

· Registered
13,526 Posts
That is kind of disheartening, Z. I hope it's not as bad as it looks.

I like good bread, too. There's a seeded sourdough I've been getting, and it's 6.99. I know, but it's so good and it's difficult to find good fresh bread in this town for some reason. I want a loaf of french or italian bread that isn't a door stopper. DH asks for sandwich bread and cold cuts, and I end up throwing it out. And lately he's been eating his weight in chips, which have about doubled in price, too. He wanted some pretzel chips, I sent him a photo of the 7.99 price tag and said Nope! A regular bag of potato chips is over $4! I buy generic when they are on sale and have to hide them. And I keep an eye out for markdowns. The lesser known brands get put on clearance more often.

Reactions: ermadunk and Zhoen
1 - 8 of 8 Posts