Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite things to look for at Goodwill and other thrift stores are kitchen items. Cookware, bakeware, gadgets, etc. I was fortunate enough to find a Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pan that looked like new, an old pyrex mixing bowl, one of those metal ice cream scoops that has the special liquid in the handle that makes it easier to scoop, and I've even found some old cast iron items from time to time. (My favorite!)

I am, however, kicking myself a little bit over one thing in particular. A couple months back my Goodwill had a huge skillet, it had to have been close to 16" in diameter. I walked over and picked it up, and it was cast iron with enamel on the outside and in beautiful like-new condition. Flipped it over and saw "Le Creuset" on the bottom. I couldn't believe it! I found the price sticker...$37.00. I looked it over, carefully considered it, but I still couldn't justify to myself spending $37 on one item at Goodwill, so I put it down and I walked away. Boy do I regret it! I came home and looked it up online and found it it was worth $200! I went back to Goodwill the next day and it was gone. It would have been a wonderful addition to my cast iron collection at home, and it would have gotten plenty of use.

I guess what I've learned from that was, for me, that there are times to be frugal and then there are times to live a little!

·
8,714 Posts
~Wow, $37 though....I would have put it back too.
I try to never second guess things I put back at the thrift shop. If I had really wanted it, needed it, I would have purchased it then and there, without a ton of consideration on the price. If you aren't thrift shopping with your needs foremost in your mind, you are shopping mindlessly and that can lead to many unneeded purchases, even hoarding.
In fact, an item like you mentioned, no matter how nice or how valuable it was, would never be regretted being left at the store by me since it would be one of several in a collection had I bought it and not the only one. But I lean heavily toward minimalism.
Filling a void as the only item for a purpose is when I make exceptions to my pricing rules for buying used. If the item is something I don't have and it's been on my list for a long time and it will serve a purpose as the sole item in that category or use, I will spend a bit more than what seems comfortable or logical. I hardly ever regret those purchases.
The last time I was at my thrift shop I found a set of 10 vintage Anchor Hocking custard cups(I collect milkware pieces and they are all in regular use)that had a gorgeous starburst pattern that matched a casserole I already had. Would have loved to had them but I already have plain white Anchor Hocking custard cups and these starburst ones were priced $3 each. I walked away. My mom was with me and tried to change my mind. Don't regret it. I still would love to have had them, but not at $30 worth.~

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
There are a few things I wish I had bought at the Thrift store when I saw them. I generally talk myself out of things often.

I wish I had bought the Ravoil press that I saw a year or so ago. But it was not there when I went back. It was obviously not meant to be mine. I was given one this year for Christmas.

I wish I had bought that black dress coat I saw a few months back. I talked myself out of it. Did not regret leaving it there then. I did not know that I would need one this month. Now I wish I had bought it.

Now that I know a dress coat is a need and will be a need from here on. I will keep and eye out for one and pick it up when I find the one. Hubby says not to hesitate when a need has been identified.I tend to talk myself out of almost everything.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I wish I had bought that black dress coat I saw a few months back. I talked myself out of it. Did not regret leaving it there then. I did not know that I would need one this month. Now I wish I had bought it.

Now that I know a dress coat is a need and will be a need from here on. I will keep and eye out for one and pick it up when I find the one. Hubby says not to hesitate when a need has been identified.I tend to talk myself out of almost everything.
I always say "God must have something better planned for me." Works for me....
So I missed the black coat a few months ago at the Thrift.

Found a red dress coat yesterday, did not fit perfect. It was gone today.

Found a dress coat at the regular store a new Faux wool ( I am allergic to wool) A Burgundy color so not black (that is nice) and not to bright like the red. It is machine washable too. It did cost more than the ones at the Goodwill( about twice as much) but I like it better and it fits very well. ( came with extra buttons too) Perfect.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Oh....I have BTDT once too often myself! The last time was when I passed up a portacrib, in great condition priced at just $5! I have no idea what I was thinking, but it was close to closing time, and by then I was beat and ready to call it a day. Well, needless to say, I was kicking myself all night! We had just became new grandparents, and it was of course just the thing to keep here when I babysit during the week. So anyway.....I called the store the next day and it was only about 15 minutes after the store opened up, but of course it was already sold! Someone got the "buy of a lifetime"! So I"ll "live and learn"....the hard way....lol!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
There are things I have regretted walking away from once in a while. I tend to over think my purchases most of the time. Glad you found a coat imagine. A few years ago I had a list of clothing to watch for at Goodwill. My list consisted of a good long black dress coat and a good long brown dress coat. I wear mostly those two colors as my base and have built a wardrobe of accessories that will go with either/or. After a while I found both coats in mint condition for a great price and snatched them up right away. I didn't NEED them at the time but I knew I would be re-entering the workforce and would need them in the future. Now I am so glad I grabbed them at the time! :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hey guys, I can personally assure you that all those grapes were sour anyway.

Seriously, all that stuff you just named, I donated it myself, and only because my kid/dog/cat/rabbits/guinea pigs had done something really nasty on it all.

That Le Creuset pan? We used it in a heathen ritual that involved hemlock, you wouldn't want to cook with it. In fact, the next person who cooks with it will be poisoned by the residue, but their life-force will be transferred to one of my friend's houseplants that she just can't keep healthy, so it's a fair trade.

Seriously, you don't want that pan. ;D

·
19,119 Posts
Can't win them all for sure....cannot wait to see what you find someday instead!

Reactions: MaxBetta

·
Registered
240 Posts
Regret not purchasing something? ALMOST never but last year I had the chance to purchase a gently used Keurig from a friend for $25. I use a French press and thought I didn't want to sacrifice my limited counter space for the Keurig. What an idiot I was. LOL I refuse to buy a Keurig now because I keep thinking, "But I could have had one for $25!!" Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your great stories everyone, they made me smile. I was at Goodwill again today and picked up a few things (popover pan, teabag tongs, strainer.) I was eyeing a Krups espresso machine that they had for $10. I thought about it, and then decided not to get it. I've been home for a bit now and I have no regrets, so I guess I made the right decision! I did look it up and it's a model that sells for $100 brand new. Still, I'm cool with not having it.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Space is a limited proposition, no matter where you live.

I'm sort of regretting giving my brand new still on the card vintage plastic tatting shuttle to GW a couple weeks ago, but that's stupid. I can replace it with a new one for about $3 if I really wanted to, but the really stupid part is I don't use a shuttle for tatting, so don't need it. I'm thinking about learning shuttle tatting, but I have two very nice metal vintage shuttles so still don't need the plastic one. I'll get over it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts