Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, hang with me. Since I do have debt, I wonder if it's really a pay off to buy those extra cans of corn? Did I really need all of those this month, is there not going to be sales next week, would it have been better maybe to just buy three and throw the rest of the money at debt? That was just an example.

This is stuff that makes my head spin. :screwy: I know I've bought extra because it was a good sale and all, and I know we all 'stockpile' for different needs. Sometimes I feel this is a waste of money for us.

Example, I feel like I buy tons of dish washing soap. With coupons and the dollar store brands. Buying Palmolive at 6.99 at Costco is so much more worth the buck. I've used maybe a 1/4 in 3 weeks. Compared to the other..say 5 bottles around 99 cents that don't last.

I also find it easier to budget if I don't spend a ton of extra stocking up for something I may not need...for like 5 months from now. I'm also not the paranoid type either. :laugh: please don't take offense to that. But I do get paranoid if the downstairs freezer doesn't get closed *thanks kids* and worry that I lost all of that food! If dh...say did lose his job, I think I would feel better with money in the bank or I know we wouldn't go hungry with both sides of our family.

Sorry for the ramble. It's just deep thoughts and trying to figure it all out

·
Registered
651 Posts
I some times feel that way I've lost hours at work from a back injury now I'm out of work and not sure for how long I have a stock pile that will carry us for about 6 months the good thing about this is (for me) when I grocery shop now I do not have to worry about every thing I can just get what is needed.But yeah some times I do feel like I could use the money I spent on that can of some thing now, also some times I get tired of the coupons and stockpiling and chasing the deals but to keep our heads above water it's some thing I need to do.Thank you OP for this post it is a good one .

Reactions: Palooka

·
2,688 Posts
I think we all have to do what is best for our own situations.
Your case sounds like it would be best to throw extra money at the debt and get it gone.
But while you are doing this, keep a small stockpile going. Enough for at least a month ahead so if there was a money flow problem, you would not have to worry about groceries for awhile.

I like stocking ahead when I see bargains. If I only have so much to work with, then I buy what I can if it is something we use a lot of. Currently I am looking for bargains on used canning jars, so I can continue to take advantage of the garden and any other extra produce I can find to either can or freeze. If I don't have to buy much produce this winter, that will help the grocery budget. It's the little things we do, that add up :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Someone suggested to me that I set aside a small amount of grocery budget each month that is designated for food stockpile. This has been working out really well. I am still on budget and still getting to see my pantry fill up. Try it! I was feeling deprived that when I saw a good sale I "missed out" because of my low income and tight budget. I still can't hit every sale but 10 cans of corn one month, 10 cans of green beans another, it is really accumulating faster than I thought it would, it's great!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I set aside a certain amount of money every month for stocking up the pantry. I ONLY buy when I find a REALLY good deal. Since I have been doing this, my pantry is in excellent shape. So now I put some of that money to my debt.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm kind of with you on this. I was into buying things because they were a great deal, but then reevaluated last year. We had TONS of food. But it was all stuff that we didn't or shouldn't eat. We don't do a lot of processed or sugary foods or a lot of canned foods. I think it is great to have emergency stores, but I also realized I don't need to be ridiculous about it. So, I actually quit couponing completely. I am probably going to start up a bit when the kids go back to school and I have a little more time to get organized, but I don't plan to buy just to buy. I'd rather save the quarter I spend on something I don't NEED and put it toward something I do need or WANT. That being said, when an item we do use is on sale for as cheap as I know it will get I do buy a lot of it- I have just quit buying the items we don't use. So I guess I selectively stockpile, but not as much as I once did and do notice that I have saved money by not buying just whatever just because it is cheap.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Inflation factors into where you might want to put your money.

Sometimes inflation is so high that your saving interest rate becomes effectively a negative interest rate.

Then it might make more sense buy products stock up and not stock way the cash in a savings.

As I child I once heard my father say Brazil's inflation rate was so high it was better for them to buy bread today then tomorrow.

The balance really is a hard question isn't?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If you are truly buying what you will eat or use there shouldn't be a problem. I do most of my fresh stocking up for canning or freezing during the summer months. So yes I would feel the money spent for the ears of corn well placed. Food for the winter verses higher prices for vegetables out of season.

There is a balance to be found. It doesn't have to be either or.

Reactions: bumplett

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone suggested to me that I set aside a small amount of grocery budget each month that is designated for food stockpile. This has been working out really well. I am still on budget and still getting to see my pantry fill up. Try it! I was feeling deprived that when I saw a good sale I "missed out" because of my low income and tight budget. I still can't hit every sale but 10 cans of corn one month, 10 cans of green beans another, it is really accumulating faster than I thought it would, it's great!
This would make the most sense. I should probably just stick and budget a certain amount every month. And use cash instead of debit to take away from any temptation! :)

Of course I only buy what we use.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I think that's a great idea - just set aside a specific amount to stockpile with.

maybe $25/month?

Then you may be more selective about what you stock also.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I was thinking 20 to 25 a month for the really good deals. And sticking to a list otherwise. I need to get a grip on this. :) Dropping an extra 100 bucks or so is not working for me. We will eventually eat it, but it seems money wasted that I could use for a better cause that month.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Agree with some of the other posters...........we have to do what is right for our situation and what we are comfortable with.....

Same thing for what type and where you buy the soap.......buy what YOU THINK gives you the best value.......doesn't have to be the best price. Value isn't always about money.

And............don't be afraid to change your mind later.........or "for awhile" while you get the bills paid down......you can always go back to plan A later.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Yep, I was thinking 20 to 25 a month for the really good deals. And sticking to a list otherwise. I need to get a grip on this. :) Dropping an extra 100 bucks or so is not working for me. We will eventually eat it, but it seems money wasted that I could use for a better cause that month.
Since it sounds like you were using $100 beforehand, why not cut it down to $50 for stockpiling and see how that goes before cutting it down to $25 - this way if you see a super great sale you won't be pulling $ from elsewhere to cover the extra spending? Any leftover $ that was not spent on stockpiling that month could go towards debt.

As for what you stockpile - you should stockpile whats worth it to you. If its something thats brand name or more costly - it shouldn't matter - so long as its worth it to you.

Example: Dad continually buys $1 store light bulbs which only last a month or so. DH & I will spend $3 for light bulbs which will last throughout the year. Its obviously worth it it buy a pack or two of the $3 bulbs vs 10 pks of the $1 bulbs.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
With the way everything that's happening in our country I would stockup on anything you will eat/ non-food items add in all the natural disasters,drought,fires I believe we could be looking @ problems with not enough food to feed our country as well as other countries this is more important than anything right now..I'm totally focused in every area of prepping for my family..I'm in overdrive and will not stop until I feel I've covered everything! I would rather have enough then not enough while paying the mininuim on my bill's @ least until you see how the economy look's..JMHO..

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
With the way everything that's happening in our country I would stockup on anything you will eat/ non-food items add in all the natural disasters,drought,fires I believe we could be looking @ problems with not enough food to feed our country as well as other countries this is more important than anything right now..I'm totally focused in every area of prepping for my family..I'm in overdrive and will not stop until I feel I've covered everything! I would rather have enough then not enough while paying the mininuim on my bill's @ least until you see how the economy look's..JMHO..
I would have to second brenda. If anything maybe cut the stockpile budget down by no more than half. This 513 drop on Wall Street is scary as he(). And I don't think its over.
Maybe continue to build it up and if TS dosen't HTF and you're comfortable with it..use the stockpile for a couple months and cut total grocery/stockpile spending..using both monies toward debt in a larger sum.

Reactions: brenda67

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have to second brenda. If anything maybe cut the stockpile budget down by no more than half. This 513 drop on Wall Street is scary as he(). And I don't think its over.
Maybe continue to build it up and if TS dosen't HTF and you're comfortable with it..use the stockpile for a couple months and cut total grocery/stockpile spending..using both monies toward debt in a larger sum.
I appreciate your thoughts. I just could never pay the minimums unless I was financially forced too. I want to get out of debt really really bad!! More so than having 50 cans of green beans.(you know what I mean) I love to buy extra when it's a really good deal and it saves us money. We can all agree there. :) Just need to find a balance where I see my savings grow, my debt payed down, and my family fed. :) I'm getting there but it's been a lot of tweaking with my families changing needs.

I'm going to slash it more than half and see how that works. Sometimes the more I have, the more the kids eat/use. :skept: And some things I'm doing just wrong! And I think I'm a much happier camper when I buy in bulk than chase coupons and stores. Saves on gas and over compulsive spending and I still have that feeling of everything I need. Plus I'm so entertained a home. :D I know it's so different for all!

I've got my August budget down to the last penny almost! I think.:shrug2:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I've not put any extra money into stocking, I've developed a deep pantry system that seems to be working out rather well. My pantry continues to grow, and we eat healthier all the time. HappyMama was the one who suggested it to me and I'm very grateful for her advice.

The basic premise is to purchase as much of the best deal as possible with your food dollars at one time. Clearly that gives you more than you could eat/use in a week of any one thing. So if I find say mozzarella cheese for 99 cents a brick, I might spend half of my food money on mozzarella. Now, I need to use the other things in my pantry to balance that week, but as time goes on my pantry grows, meals become more varied. I'm not only feeding my family healthier, but I'm making the money I do have work for me. I only buy what we eat, and what is the very best price.

We also have a garden and I dehydrate and freeze garden produce. I also dehydrate and freeze super low priced items at the grocery too.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
great topic! I am just starting to learn to stockpile. I have been having the same thoughts as you Palooka. Mostly everyone here has a lot more experience with stockpiling than I do and already I was questioning about paying on debt vs stockpiling. Thanks for the suggestions. I will set aside stockpile $$ so I don't feel like I am missing out!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've not put any extra money into stocking, I've developed a deep pantry system that seems to be working out rather well. My pantry continues to grow, and we eat healthier all the time. HappyMama was the one who suggested it to me and I'm very grateful for her advice.

The basic premise is to purchase as much of the best deal as possible with your food dollars at one time. Clearly that gives you more than you could eat/use in a week of any one thing. So if I find say mozzarella cheese for 99 cents a brick, I might spend half of my food money on mozzarella. Now, I need to use the other things in my pantry to balance that week, but as time goes on my pantry grows, meals become more varied. I'm not only feeding my family healthier, but I'm making the money I do have work for me. I only buy what we eat, and what is the very best price.

We also have a garden and I dehydrate and freeze garden produce. I also dehydrate and freeze super low priced items at the grocery too.
Yeah, I totally get that concept. I miss HappyMamma. :( Hope she is doing okay. I enjoyed her post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts