Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's spinning and i don't like it. I have something going on and i wonder if anyone has some tips. Please understand that this is probably a "not for everyone" topic.

I have had some sort of gastrointestinal bug. I have thrown up a few times but then it moved south of throw up, yet is just as rapid and gross. Immodium AD isn't helping. I am trying to keep hydrated, but it seems it comes out as fast as i am pumping the fluids to me. This has gone on since yesterday at noon. And woke me every hour or so all night. Pepto made me throw up, always does, so that's out. Any other ideas?? (called docs office, they can get me in Monday.) Im dizzy and queezy too.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
2 weeks ago my youngest son had most of the symptoms you're describing. Started with vommiting then moved onto diarrhea. No warning. It didn't matter what I feed or gave him to drink, it was coming out someway....and quick. I spent most of the nights sleeping on his floor because he was continuosly messing up his sheets. Poor thing. He had it about 5 days.
I hope you get to feeling better. Take care, I am sure it will pass soon. :hugz:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Missy
I fainted for 2 or 3 seconds last week because I became so dehydrated from what you are talking about. At the time I did not realize that this was a precursor to a wicked cold I have now. I know a bunch of people with this wicked cold. I feel better today than yesterday and I hope tomorrow I feel better than today. I have not been sleeping well because I wake myself up with this ferocious cough. I am sick of it. If I am not completely better by Monday I will call the doctor.

(People are telling me this sickness lasts for 7 days. My son started it 2 days before me and he seems a lot better today.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
My mom always swore by the BRAT diet. When we were feeling that way, all we could have to eat was Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, or Toast. It helped with the queasy feeling to have something easy to digest in your tummy and seemed to help slooooow everything else down.

After that, I like to take a warm bath (not hot, it won't help with the dizzy) so I don't feel so yucky, and take a nap.

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Zoe just got over this - it's quite scary in a baby. We just kept pumping in the fluids as fast as she was getting rid of them. Yucko.

Might try ginger? I know it calms the tummym - worked when I was morning sick and couldn't even keep liquids down. Just a thought.

Sandi

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
what about sucking on popsicles? a few years ago when the kids an i had the norwalk virus, the only thing we could tolerate was sucking on pedialite pops. they aren't the yummiest thing if you try to eat them like a normal pop, but sucking on them wasn't bad. none of us could keep anything down until we started on these. then when you can keep stuff down, try teh BRAT diet like someone else suggested.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Missy, I just want to say I hope you feel better :hugz:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sorry to hear you're sick! :( Too much partying on you b.day?! Just kidding and trying to get a laugh outta ya!

Have you tried Gatorade or 7-up? They tend to settle the stomach.

Get some :rest: and :well:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Try just frequent sips, not a whole drink at a time. Ice chips, popsicles. No milk products at all. When you have diarrhea you loose the bacteria in your intestine that breaks down milk so it will go right through you. I second the Brat diet with the addition of yogurt to help get the good bacteria in your intestine again. Beware of dehydration. Get lots of rest and hope you feel better soon!!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Missy, my son(who is 21) has had attacks of the south part...we treated it with herbs. Get some carb...either in pill form or powder(that's what we used). They are giving carob to children in Africa to treat the "running trots" & it is successful. It solidifies the poop. Carob is an herbal replacement for chocolate. Also other things that have worked for us is black walnut..kills intestinal parasites, probiotic...keeps a healthy balance of flora in the intestines, charcoal(pill form) will draw out any poisons in your system &you can pass them out....also aloe vera juice(an aquired taste). I sure hope that you start to feel better.Hugs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Are you running a fever?? My elderly mother had this bug and I ended up taking her to the ER. She had a fever, was producing no urine and had a rapid heartrate. She was also taking bloodpressure medicine that acted as a duiretic. She was dehydrated and her potassium level was low. They put her on IV's, gave her some extra potassium pills and something to calm the stomach.
I was glad I didn't listen to her and hauled her butt up to the ER. Her choice was go or I will call an ambulance. (she can be a bit stubborn at times)
Be careful you don't get dehydrated, try just sips of fluids and don't be afraid to seek help if you need it.
Get Well Soon

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I hope you feel well soon Missy :hug2:.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I am sorry you are so sick. I do hope you feel better soon. Small sips, maybe even teaspoons at a time, are easier than drinking a large amount. When you get the sips to stay down (or in) then try the BRAT diet. Doctors always reccommend it. And REST, REST, REST.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
This stuff is really going around... DS has had diarrhea for more than a month now, no exaggeration. The doctor just put him on a soy formula and Mylanta. After three days, it seems to be finally making a difference... poor little guy. :( She thinks he got a bug that's damaged the lining of his intestines- that's why she wanted to try the Mylanta. I don't know if that would help you or not, but I don't think it would hurt.

Here's a recipe for Pedialyte clone to help keep you hydrated: http://www.recipezaar.com/11778 I've used it with DD before-- much cheaper than buying it.

I hope you're feeling better soon! :hugz:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It is a gross virus. Everyone here in GA has been seeming to get it. If feels at first like a little 12 hour one, but the symptoms get worse. We are seeing though it lasts about 7 days. Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better.
Ms Louise

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Missy, if you can go to the pharmacy and get cola syrup..it is cheap and it does settle the stomach down...if you can't get to the store and you have canned peaches in heavy syrup, you can use the syrup off of them, has to be heavy syrup not lite syrup.. just a tablespoon or two..hope you feel better

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
When this virus went through our house it took us all 2-3 days to get over it. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts