Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dh's company's terminal here is cutting their drivers and trucks by 2/3(going down to 18 people left with a job!) . Dh is safe this round since it went by senority and he is number 5 but his supervisor says it looks like the company (based in another state) may pull out of the local terminal all together since the business who's freight they haul in a 4 state area is really having a major decline (building related). The supplier they haul for was the one that told them they no longer needed all their drivers and trucks because business is bad enough there just isn't enough freight to haul.

Dh is really nervous. They pay significantly more than any other trucking company within 100 miles. We are a pretty low wage area so this company never lost workers because of this. Dh is real nervous as he says no way can we pay the bills on what most local companys pay and they are all cutting back on work but they are rarely hiring anyways since the trucking industry is really hurting.
Driving over the road is an option if 100% necessary but a very bad option for us. BTDT

Dh is the main earner and I work PT. My job is in an "extra" category in lots of budgets and totally commisioned based so going FT takes time to build more clientel. I have plenty of clientel to keep me busy with the PT hours though (very thankful to my great clients!)

I've been checking into an extra PT job and that isn't looking promising! Even the typical "college" jobs like fast food etc are not hiring as they are snapped up instantly due to all the layoffs in the area the last few months Then add the fact we live 30 miles from everywhere and they makes a $6 an hr pt job even worse as a PT option as gas will eat the earnings up.

Dh could keep his job just fine or could lose it anytime. We will just try to prepare for the worst but hope for the best. There is a big meeting next week and dh thinks that will be the terminal closing.

~ good point

*debt free but the house

*we do have some EF

*I'm a great tightwad

*we are contributing any extra we can to the ef

~ bad points

*there isn't much to cut in the budget (except dh's direct tv) with the current prices of utilities, gas, food, ins, health ins etc which have really risen and eatten up the money we used to pay on debt or save.

*a special diet in the house hold

*living far from everything

I'm just venting and using the board as a sounding board! I'm grateful that we have some ef to squeek by on for a little bit if needed. I could be lots worse (BTDT too) Thanks for letting me vent!

·
4,028 Posts
Hugs to you and him.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ceashels. I just wish dh would not be so down about it. Like I told him. As of Fri he was one of the 18 that still had a job. I sure feel bad for the other 42 that lost theirs though.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hope everything works out okay and your DH does not get laid off. At least y'all are debt free and do have an EF. Try not to worry. Sending hugs your way. :hugz:

--Michelle

Reactions: nodmicks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nodmicks,
Sending hugs your way. My dh is also a truck driver and I understand the impact of the market on the job. Thankfully your husband has the seniority to make it through this round and that his supervisor 'warned' him about possible future changes.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
At least he got some forewarning...and wasn't one of them laid off... Hope he keeps his job and all stays well for you guys...

:hugz:

·
Registered
459 Posts
:hugz: You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Debbie

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
he has been given advance notice that his job will be no more. what is your husband doing to "job re-train" - remember there are no victims, only volunteers!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. If the company DOES totally pull out dh will still be driving truck so not much retraining I guess. He had looked into getting certification to teach it at the tech through a weekend school 4 hours away l but after talking to several tech schools within a few hours and he found the openings for teachers are far and few between. He has worked for his company training drivers to get a class a liscense already.

He said he is definately looking for a new job since their is the possibility they may pull out. However he won't just settle for many that pay a little over 1/2 what he makes now.

Another issue is insurance. I figured out what we pay per week and the 80% the company pays. The cobra amount would be huge.

It's not a worry of him finding a job but finding a comperable job.
Time will tell what the company decides to do!

LadyKemma~ it is not a sure thing they are pulling out but definately a possibility so dh is being proactive looking. The 42 guys that lost their jobs fri definately didn't volunteer. I really feel for them. It was totally a suprise with no warning. A lot of 1 income familys. I'm hoping those Dave Ramsey dvds that got passed around in the last year helped more of them get in a better position.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'll be praying for you guys! Hope he is able to keep his job! Keep us posted. :hugz: We will be in a similar situation come January. My dh's job will go to commission only (no base salary, unless he can somehow get it extended), and we don't know exactly how things will look then.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be praying for you guys! Hope he is able to keep his job! Keep us posted. :hugz: We will be in a similar situation come January. My dh's job will go to commission only (no base salary, unless he can somehow get it extended), and we don't know exactly how things will look then.
I hope things go well for your hubby too! Too much of this type of stuff going around.

·
Registered
604 Posts
seding you positive vibes.

I hope it turns out ok.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I will be praying for you and your family. Hopefully if your DH does lose his job, he finds one that is compareable.

DH came home Fri. to tell me that another one of thier company plants were closed. He works for a big corporation with plants across the country. So far, 3 have been closed in the last few months. It gives us a wake-up call because we never know when it will be his plant.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You and your DH will be in my thoughts and prayers -- I am sure that you will both manage whatever comes your way, but I pray that the company stays where you are a while longer and he holds onto his job.

I, too, feel badly for all those others that just lost their jobs. We are living in strange times.

Hang in there!:hugz:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hugs to you all! I think I posted somewhere on here before about OTR truck driving jobs. I don't know where you are located, but trucking jobs in Wyoming and Montana are paying HUGE right now! I mean, six figures for truck driving? That's AWESOME! I have several uncles who are doing this for a living. I can get you information if you are interested.

-Vanessa

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Just sending you hugs!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts