Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used it and what is your opinion? we currently have ATT and are spending about $200 for 3 lines....

at a flat rate of $45 a month per phone, switching will save us about $65 a month... but is it worth it?? does it get good service, easy to reload the phone, etc....

thanks.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
@fluttermuffin: I recommend Straight Talk not only because of the savings, but it is reliable and has great service. I will tell you to first see what towers are used in your city for the connection to be perfect. I live in Florida and have great service all of the time. I was spending and incredible amount with Att and now the savings are good. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
615 Posts
We use Straight talk for a few months now and we get great service no matter where we go. I do suggest that you go on the web page and punch in your area to see the map of the coverage and if you can wait to order a phone you can get a better deal on the web. We signed up to have it refilled monthly so I don't have to worry about forgetting to do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
has anyone used it and what is your opinion? we currently have ATT and are spending about $200 for 3 lines....

at a flat rate of $45 a month per phone, switching will save us about $65 a month... but is it worth it?? does it get good service, easy to reload the phone, etc....

thanks.
Have you started using Straight Talk? I am seriously considering this option.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
One of my teens has the straight talk unlimited. He loves it. He throughly investigated it before he spent his $. It runs off of verizon towers so terrific service in our area.

Dh and I are under a Verizon contract. With his work discount it cant be beat. However i am pondering going with naked dsl at home, cutting the home phone and getting a starigh talk phone for home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a tracfone from QVC for just under $80 + free shipping, it comes with a case, home charger, car charger and 1000 minutes that last for 1 year! I will not use that many minutes in a year and it comes out to around $7.30 per month. Oh, it also comes with double minutes for life, so I can get a 60 min. card for $19.99 that lasts for 3 months so it will average out to be about $6.67 per month for 120 minutes for 3 months. I don’t use a cell phone that often so this will work out great for me. It also comes with 5 easy payments.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We have straight talk and love it. Moved from NY to AL and had great service. I recommend straight talk to anyone. No more contract for us :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would love to go with a pre paid phone. At&t is not working well in our area. We were with Alltel and they migrated to Att. If I could get out of my contract without a steep penalty I would do it now.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My son brad has had straight talk for about 2 years. My husband I have had mine 4 months so we absolutely love it. NO CONTRACTS.
We spend $45 a month unlimited talk, text, my phone has a camera, and a video camera on it, plus internet.

If you have not already started using Straight talk, you can keep your same number, also you can have the cost of the card taken out of your account each month without a trip to the store.:cheer4:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been away from FV for awhile, thought I'd update. We are still with ATT... the hubby got an iPhone and we are still under contract with it until March 2014. I upgraded last march as well, but with only a year contract. The daughter opted not to renew her contract and is still using her phone. My son uses Straight Talk and raves about it. When the time comes, I may drop the 2 phones from ATT and just let hubby keep it for his iPhone. (which he LOVES)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Got one for my son for college. $30 monthly and phone cost $56. Works great:)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have straight talk and my service is iffy at best. But from what I hear, it depends on what type of phone you have as to who is your carrier. Sprint is my carrier but my SIL has Verizon as a carrier. I don't know if there is a way to find this out if ordering the phone on line, supposedly if you buy your phone at Walmart they can scan it and find out who the carrier is.

I love the $45 fee but I would love to have better service.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Is the cost actually a flat $45.00 per month or are there extra taxes and fees like a regular phone?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mine is $31.01 including the taxes.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Mine is $31.01 including the taxes.
Great deal that you got. you are very fortunate to get it for that cost. I checked at our local Walmart and the card for refill was $45.00. Oh well, the 45.00 still sounds good.

·
Registered
924 Posts
there are two levels - one is at the $30ish mark and one is $45. One has the internet and one does not. With taxes I think it comes to $49.19 or something close to that. Still a good deal for unlimited everything.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
We have 3 phones & pay $189 for unlimited text/data, and we share 1500 minutes/month. We've talked about changing to a straight talk plan, but still have a sprint contract.

Reactions: fluttermuffin

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just got straight talk and so far LOVE IT! We had Sprint and never had service. We were paying $163/month for something we couldn't even use. We get the same plan now for $45 a month and have great service. The only downfall was we couldn't take the phones we had, we had to buy new. But it will save us a lot in the long run and we didn't have to pay our disconnect fee! Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I got Straight Talk 3 months ago - switching from AT&T.
We live in a terrible coverage area for AT&T - calls were dropping, service was spotty.
Straight Talk claimed they pulled from both AT&T & Verizon towers. (Verizon is great in our area)
3 months with Straight Talk & it was horrible!

I paid $30 + tax (so about $34 a month) for 1000 mins & 1000 texts - for a basic phone. Not a bad price for the plan.
However, I got worse service coverage than with AT&T. Places that I used to have even 'spotty' service - I had none. DH still had the AT&T coverage. We could stand side by side, and he would have service - I had none. (I nicknamed them 'No-Talk') - coz most of the time I could not use my phone. I was using DH's all the time.

Last week we both switched to Verizon. And the Verizon rep told me that Straight Talk is NOT pulling from their towers (as they claim to be) - which is obvious, as I now have coverage everywhere (which in my area- Verizon is the #1 provider).

Make sure you check to see who is the leader in the coverage in your area. Then maybe just give it a try, that's what I did. It really didn't work out. But, with no contract or commitment - you can get out anytime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts