Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my 32 years of having a washer I have never had this problem. All of the sudden about 3 months ago my washer started having this mildew smell in it. In order to rid it of it I have; propped the lid open to let dry out in between washings (doesn't help but I still do it anyway just for good measure), run bleach through a full cycle and then a full cycle with vinegar and hot water through it (helped but didn't last). What the heck is causing this? Why now? Nothing has changed in our environment, we're dry here.......We did have some rain but have had rain before....:lol: I am so frustrated and at a loss with this. Thankfully my clothes don't come out smelling like the washer but I'm really perplexed. Anyone ever have this happen before? What did you do to remedy it?

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
We get that if wet laundry sits in the wash because our city water still has a lot of "organic material" in it, and it stinks when it gets stale. We also used to get it from our old water heater, years ago before we had a bigger one put in. Where does your water come from? Maybe something there has changed.

I'm told hot water and baking soda can help. You also might see if any of the little holes for detergent or softener have plugged up and gotten nasty.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sometimes it is the tray you put the detergent in you can take it out and clean it and this helps. Hope you figure it out. Candy

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I think our washer can get a funky smell to it, also, so I always leave the lid up between use. Our washer is 21 years old and still going strong! We also have well water and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
It may a couple of different things. Number one you may have an overflow that hasn't drained. When machine is emtpy give it a shove do you hear water slosh? If so your overflow may have water sitting in it. Or a wet piece may have gotten down on the inside of the drum. Take off the front panel. You'll need a screwdriver for this. Most have catches up at the top corners that you need to slide the driver in and push on. If you've got an overflow it maybe a plastic container at the base. You may need to remove a hose clamp to take the conatiner off. This may require a pair of vise grips for a hose clamp. Be sure to unplug your machine before working on it. When you remove the front panel you'll see if anything has worked its way between the drum and the machine.
You may also have a clog in your roof vent. The hole that the water drains into in your walls has a roof stack vent. This can get clogged with any number of things usually an animal nest. Mice, rats, birds. Your vent may be a dual vent that has the dryer exhaust blowing into it. The lint can bulid up and when it gets wet it stinks. You'll need a plumbing snake to clear the drain. Its not hard! A lady can do it. you'll need a plumbing snake, a pair of sturdy gloves and a graden hose.
Prepare the floor at your drain for a watery mess. Move the machines and place older towls on the floor. As you'll be working from the roof down.
Warning PLUMBERs charge a fortune for this service. You can do it. Just take your time and prepare. When you run the snake down the drain and a handheld one will work no need to rent a big one. Your need someone at the end to listen and watch. Run it up and down a couple of times to clear out anything. Then run a SMALL stream of water down it will help to flush out and remaining stuff.

Hope this helps.

Laurie in Bradenton

1 - 8 of 8 Posts