Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD5 is in kindergarten and requires an afternoon snack.

She is and has always been a picky eater, I've had 3 others like it and they do outgrow it.

She's in a nutfree, peanut free school. She doesn't like the peabutter. So I'm really stuck. She eats fruit, but it needs to be cut or she doesn't have enough time, and if it's cut it is oxidized and then she thinks it's rotten... no convincing her otherwise.

I'm really at loss. She barely eats as it is, has never been a big eater, and taking a firm stand ends up in an eating strike on her part. So that doesn't work. The Dr says to just let her eat what she wants, this will pass and in the meantime she needs to eat as she's underweight, but at school... it doesn't work. She can't have her pb&j. We could have her eat it in the office, but then she's secluded and that won't solve anything.

Her list of dislikes:
cheese spread
anything spicy
jam alone(needs to be with pb)
anything with seeds
beans and lentils
soup
sauces of any kind

To make things worse, and it was done with the best of intent, their teacher does a list of "healthy" and "un healthy" foods, this eliminated anything that she liked that had chocolate chips, as that wasn't healthy, so I can't even get a granola mix in her, or an oatmeal cookie.

She is the hardest of all of them, but it will pass, just need to get through this stage.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Try soaking sliced apples briefly in a solution of powdered ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and water. That will keep them from browning. It probably would work for other fruits that get brown, too.

What about grapes?

Carrot sticks?

Pretzels?

Crackers?

Popcorn?

Can you dehydrate fruit pieces or make fruit leather for her to take?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spirit Deer, how much asorbic acid do you put? She'd totally go for the apples and banana slices if they weren't brown.

She doesn't care for dried fruit or fruit leathers :(

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Ascorbic acid info.

The solution you use depends on what fruit you need to keep from discoloring.

I've never tried it with bananas. Can't she take a banana and peel it at school? That would be fast and easy. If she only needs a half banana, can you cut it and put a piece of plastic wrap on the end with a rubber band? If the very end got brown, she could eat all but that little bit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I invested in "Fruit Fresh." It's the ascorbic acid. I sprinkle enough on apples to coat them thoroughly & mix with my hands. They don't turn brown & my DD10 likes the slightly sour taste it gives them. Basically, it's like adding lemon juice!
I keep cut up apples in the fridge for DD - it's her anytime snack. Also, my picky eater likes applesauce. Small tupperware containers, or yogurt cups work well for that.
What about carrot "coins?" DD10 likes these better than larger chunks.
Snack mix - let her help you pick out the ingredients - that always helps me get it into DD10!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ascorbic acid info.

I've never tried it with bananas. Can't she take a banana and peel it at school? That would be fast and easy. If she only needs a half banana, can you cut it and put a piece of plastic wrap on the end with a rubber band? If the very end got brown, she could eat all but that little bit.
She won't finish a whole banana, at most a few bites, so it's a huge wasted to send the whole thing. I have tried that, but unless the teacher will cut off the end(which he doesn't have time to do), then she won't touch it.

At least she's easy going in just about any other facet of life..lol

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Maybe a trail mix... cereal, raisins, pretzels, etc?
Granola bars
Fruit leather
Crackers
Pita chips

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dd got hooked on cinnamon apples; just slice and throw into a ziploc, and sprinkle a little cinnamon on. They stay perfect even overnight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
DD5 is in kindergarten and requires an afternoon snack.

To make things worse, and it was done with the best of intent, their teacher does a list of "healthy" and "un healthy" foods, this eliminated anything that she liked that had chocolate chips, as that wasn't healthy, so I can't even get a granola mix in her, or an oatmeal cookie.

She is the hardest of all of them, but it will pass, just need to get through this stage.
Okay, this really bothers me. My DD was also underweight, and had problems getting enough to eat during the school day (she's homeschooled now). In her case it wasn't due to pickiness but due to the facts that she is a slow eater and the only recess was combined with lunch in a 30 minute period, so she would eat less in order to get time to play.

I realize a lot of kids have weight problems, and eat too much junk. But who appointed the teacher 'nutrition god?' YOU are the parent, and (allergens aside, I totally understand the peanut-free rule) it should be YOUR decision what your child can and cannot eat, especially since she is under, not over, weight. In your DD's case, she NEEDS to put on weight, so a few chocolate chips aren't going to do any harm, especially if they are in a relatively healthy food like granola mix and and as long as they aren't the dominant element of the snack. I'd bring this up with the teacher, maybe talking with her pediatrician first and getting a note from him/her regarding the nutritient issue.

In the meantime I hope the ascorbic acid on cut up fruit works for you.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I used plain ole lemon juice to keep fruit from browning. It doesn't make the fruit taste different, but it keeps the kids from thinking I'm feeding them "rotten brown apples" lol.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When I was a kid I loved when my mom sent in "knox blocks" which is basically finger jello.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts