Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We struggle every month to pay our electric bill! I have to call and get a extension every mointh and still can hardly get it paid! its a older house with no insulation and no screeens on the windows so i cant open the windows or every bug ect.. will be in my house. We rent so its hard to get my landlord to do anything he basically lives off our rent. Any suggestions of what I can do? he electricx bill has newver been les than 360 a month never! Sometimes even gets up to 400 plus. The rent is reasonable and I love the location so moving just isnt a option

·
27,948 Posts
Maybe there is a better place in the neighborhood that costs a bit more but you'd have lower electric bills that will make paying more in rent a moot point. Having a place with screens on windows would be nice too. A reasonable rent isn't so reasonable if you have to pay extra for other things.

Reactions: Josephhgoins

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'd check out how much a roll of screen is at the hardware store. Then I would buy as much as I need and literally staple it to the window sills so I can open my windows.

Is the rent really reasonable when you add on the huge electricity bill every month?

I don't know about the laws in your area, but most places I have lived have some kind of tenant's rights where requests for reasonable repairs should be met in a timely fashion by the landlord. Do you have some kind of a lease that would cover this? IMO having screens on your windows is a reasonable request, no matter the financial situation of the landlord.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The rent is reasonable and I love the location so moving just isnt a option
Well, if the landlord knows that moving isn't an option for you, he has no reason to step up and fix the place. Trying to force him to do it may work, but it'll probably also get him to raise your rent.

About all you can do is install screening yourself that won't do any permanent damage.

Personally, I'd look around for a new rental and, at least, consider moving.

Good luck. :)

·
2,688 Posts
Can you get the electric company to come out and do a check for you ? Tell them you think the meter is bad if need be :)

Our's runs somewhere between $ 100 - $ 110 a month.
Your's would make me cry.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I'd buy screening and wood lathe and make screens I could just fit snugly into the window frame. . .

Unplug anything that's not in current use, so you're not getting zapped with phantom loads. . . .

Hang your laundry to dry - on hangers placed on spring loaded shower rods in door ways if necessary. Clip undies and small items to the hangers and then hang on the rods.

Build and use a solar cooker, so you don't have to use as much electricity to cook.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I'd buy screening and wood lathe and make screens I could just fit snugly into the window frame. . .

Unplug anything that's not in current use, so you're not getting zapped with phantom loads. . . .

Hang your laundry to dry - on hangers placed on spring loaded shower rods in door ways if necessary. Clip undies and small items to the hangers and then hang on the rods.

Build and use a solar cooker, so you don't have to use as much electricity to cook.
Great advice Sunshine, this is exactly what I would do. Also use your crockpot, doesn't heat up house and uses less electricity. If it gets chilly there use your dehydrator ( you can make these easy if you want one) and dehydrate food most dehydrators run very low cost some even 2 cents an hour and will warm things while dehydrating your food.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I also rent and this is what I have done to bring down the electricity bill:

1.) I bought a toaster oven which saves energy/money as I do not need to turn on the regular full size oven. Be sure the toaster oven is large enough to fit a decent size baking pan in. I bake bread, make cookies as well as casseroles in it. It sits on the counter in my kitchen.

2.) I already have screens on my windows however if I did not then I would put screening on my windows during the summer for the heat and put plastic sheeting on the windows during the winter for the cold air. I would also make window blankets to put on windows during the winter. (Send me a message if you do not know how to make them. Mine were super cheap to make and I noted a considerable difference in the temperature in the room when they are in use.)

3.) I have not done this yet this year . But you might try adding foam in all of your electric outlets to prevent the exchange of air.

4.) I have weatherstripped all of my doors leading to outside as this has considerable lessened the exchange of air.

5.) I bought several clothing racks from Walmart and I purposely don't own a clothes dryer. I have placeed the clothes racks in the house. I have found that as the clothes dry they add humidity to the air which makes the room feel warmer.

6.) I try to wash most of my clothes in cold water. Thus cutting down on the cost of washing each load.

7.) I turn the heat off at night. I dress super warm for bed including a sweatshirt over my pajamais and super thick socks...sometimes I wear two pairs of socks. I also put a heating pad on the bed prior to getting in so that it is toasty warm. I also wear a scarf to bed as alot of heat is lost thru my head.

8.) The minute I get up in the morning I close off the bedroom door as I am up for the day. I do not need to go in the bedroom for the remiander of the day...so why should I heat the room. The heating vent in the bedroom is closed at all times.

9.) I keep a heating pad going at my back as I sit on the couch and read/sew etc. This allows me to keep the heat down during the day.

10.) I have put all of my electronics on two power strips which I turn off during the day while I am at work. I find that having them on power strips makes things alot easier to remember. Just two clicks and I am all done.

I hope these help!!!!

Reactions: waterbaby77

·
Registered
199 Posts
The old house I bought for my daughter 10 years ago didn't have screens on alot of the windows. Like lottalove said I bought a roll of screen wire and stapled to the outside around the windows it worked great.A roll of screen wire is cheap.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
What do you have the heat set at? Does it run all night?

Do you have the option of shutting off certain rooms during the winter? Do you have vents you can cover up? For example, during the day shut the bedroom doors and close vents in those rooms and just let heat blow into family living areas. At night, shut the vents in the living room and open the bedroom ones.

Can you put plastic over the windows? Have you put in any weather stripping around windows or doors? Larabelle's idea to put blankets on the windows is a good one.

How careful are you about shutting lights off or the tv, etc when not in use?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
What do you have the heat set at? Does it run all night?

Do you have the option of shutting off certain rooms during the winter? Do you have vents you can cover up? For example, during the day shut the bedroom doors and close vents in those rooms and just let heat blow into family living areas. At night, shut the vents in the living room and open the bedroom ones.

Can you put plastic over the windows? Have you put in any weather stripping around windows or doors? Larabelle's idea to put blankets on the windows is a good one.

How careful are you about shutting lights off or the tv, etc when not in use?
Being in Florida I don't think she gets as cold as most other areas in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.