Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Boyfriend and I have been making money because of a job. We are now looking at a bit of accelerated repayment of our student debt.
We both have a fairly high student debt. My boyfriend started with about €12,000, and I with €33,500. Of this, after almost two years repaying about 300 euros per month, 10k and 30k respectively are left. We don't mind that, we can easily pay the repayment, and it has of course been our own choice.

In the near future, we also want to deposit our wage increase, together with some windfalls. In this student debt to get rid of it as quickly as possible. However, my boyfriend found equity accelerator program which helps us a lot. But I only see an amount, and I just have to see what part of that amount is paid in interest, and what part is paid back.
This will of course become an issue when I start depositing amounts myself. The monthly amount remains the same, but I have no insight into the effect of my good intentions.

Why can't I just get an overview with my monthly installment and interest?
Should I just trust the DUO with all the calculations?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
When my wife had student loans 12 years ago in the US, her programs explained where extra payments were being applied, and you could see statements that showed where all of your money was going. If you can't find that information anywhere, I would suggest calling the provider of your loans to figure it out. Personally, I advise most people to steer clear of third-party debt managers and consolidators, since they generally just charge a fee to do what you could do yourself with some phone calls or emails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a huge student debt after finishing college. It took me 2 or 3 years to get rid of it which is a good result. If you find a good debt expert he can help you to find ways to solve the problem faster. You can also read several books on the topic, including the famous book by Dave Ramsey. Anyway, getting out of debt can become a serious quest with multiple steps where you should choose the better options on every step. The process itself is complicated but the result worths it. I'm sure that a lot of people could escape the debt problems if they only knew how.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts